My Favorite Simple and Quick Hair Tutorials

I’ve been asked repeatedly to create “simple and quick mom hair tutorials” as I enter this new phase of life. While I don’t anticipate my hair tutorial days being over, I’m not sure that I can come up with a specific type of tutorial “just for moms” (other than something like “a ponytail with a spit-up and a play dough twist).  A simple and quick way to pull your hair back is good to know whether you have kids or not!

So I thought I’d go through the archives and choose my favorite simple and quick tutorials to refresh your (and my) memory.

Almost any of the hair tutorials I’ve created can be achieved on straight or “bedhead” hair unless I’ve specifically said otherwise. Personally, my hair styles better with a little bend in it, which is why I often start with curled hair. Don’t let that limit you! The goal of my hair tutorials is to teach you the technique and how to work with the hair.

If you are waiting for wet hair tutorials, I want to go ahead and say you probably won’t find them here. If there’s a time where I need to be somewhere but don’t have time to wash and blow dry my hair, I’ll simply use dry shampoo and pull it back. If one day I’m struck with wet hair inspiration, I will happily eat my words and post a tutorial here!

So here are just a few of my favorite tutorials for a quick and simple style!

The Flipped Half Up (great for curled, naturally curly, straight, or bed head hair) :

The Messy Bun with a Braided Wrap (great for bed head hair)

Not Just a Ponytail (great for straight hair) :

The Twisted Phonytail (would look cool on straight or naturally ringlet curly hair too!) :

The List:
The Mid Knot Tutorial
The Messy Bun with a Braided Wrap (great for bed head hair)
The Double Braided Ponytail
The Messiest of Buns
Not Just a Ponytail (great for straight hair)
The Simple Knot
The Dutch Braid
The Double Bun

1. Posted December 30, 2013

Great post! Loved all of these and am excited to try them all out!! Hope you have a great New Year!

Much Love,
    -Stephanie Eva

2. Kellie says
    Posted December 30, 2013

Love it…I’m going to bookmark this page for sure!!! Thanks!

3. Posted December 30, 2013

Excellent tutorials – thank you so much. I feel very inspired to do more updo’s in January now :o). Xx

4. Posted December 30, 2013

Gorgeous hair! Great looks!

The Style Storm
    <3, Christina

5. Sara S says
    Posted December 30, 2013

Love your tutorials! Have definitely done a few of these on rather rough mom days!

6. Posted December 30, 2013

I love all of your hair tutorials! You ROCK!

PS – Thanks for the kids/no kids comment at the beginning. Hair is hair whether you have kids or not! So thank you for being inclusive. 🙂

7. Claudia says
    Posted December 30, 2013

I love all these hairstyles, they are so beautiful. Love your hair style and colouring too! Best hair tutorials on YouTube!!

Claudia xx | Beauty and the Chic

8. Posted December 30, 2013

Merry Christmas to your blessed family! Question…would you be able to show us a messy bun with longer hair…perhaps use your sister to model? I love that look for quick styles but I can’t always get it to look nice since my hair is a bit longer.
    Thank you!

9. Posted December 30, 2013

I do just the first half of the loop updo all the time! After blowdrying, it only takes 2 minutes tops and fortunately I can usually achieve it with 2-3 bobby pins. Thank you for keeping this momma looking put together!

10. Posted December 30, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

11. Gwen says
    Posted December 30, 2013

I like how you went through and labeled them as “good for bed head” “good for straight or curly”. It’s helpful!!!

12. Posted December 30, 2013

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

13. Ashley says
    Posted December 30, 2013

I love all of these hairstyles!!! 🙂

xo,
    Sincerely Miss Ash

14. Shannon says
    Posted December 30, 2013

Thanks for the “refresh”! I have long naturally curly hair, so some of your tutorials don’t necessarily work for me, but because I wear my hair up a lot for work I could definitely do a couple of these that I didn’t see before or forgot about! Thanks and hope all is well in Mommyland! 🙂

15. Posted December 30, 2013

I love the mid knot. Its one of my favorites I use it all the time to keep my hair out of my face and away from my children.

16. KrisF says
    Posted December 30, 2013

Thank you, I needed these tutorials for a reminder. Congratulations on your new addition & have a very happy New Year

17. Posted December 30, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

18. Posted December 31, 2013

I wish I had such beautiful hair ….oh well
    happy new year dear kate!

p.s. please take a look over at my blog, Iam hosting a sweet headband giveaway 🙂

see you here next year
    Apfelblütchen

You::Me::Us::Forever

19. Mia says
    Posted December 31, 2013

I love these. Thanks for sharing them. I will surely do this to my hair when school starts.

20. Posted December 31, 2013

I like that you’ve done a wrap up post like this – I’ll definitely be checking back at this post from time to time for inspiration.
    🙂
    Bits & Bobs

21. Posted December 31, 2013

These are beautiful!

22. Posted December 31, 2013
  23. Posted December 31, 2013

Your hair is beautiful!!! My hair would definitley not work in these hairstyles haha!

x

24. Posted January 1, 2014

So cute! I must try some of these!

xo,
    Jamie

25. Brianna says
    Posted January 1, 2014

I love your hair tutorials! I was actually scrolling through the archives the other day looking for easy hair tutorials. Thanks for the summary post! I look forward to future tutorials! 🙂 Hope you are enjoying time with baby David!

26. Posted January 1, 2014

How do you get your day old hair to look so sleek and shiny the next morning?

27. R2P2 says
    Posted January 3, 2014

My problem is that I have to watch and try about 3 or 4 times before I get it to a place that I feel looks “artfully disheveled” enough for public (as opposed to bedhead disheveled). Kinesethic learner I’m not! One day…

28. Posted January 6, 2014

Thanks! This is helpful!! And my kids are 6 and 8 yrs old. Lol. Rushed school mornings, taking hubby lunch to work everyday, running errands etc… hairstyles for me. Lol. Welcome to Motherhood Kate!! Children are blessings!!!:-)

29. Posted February 18, 2014

Thanks.. I love all the hair styles that you shared.

30. Posted February 18, 2014

You are really so cute and awesome in this hairstyle .So cool and gorgeous hairstyles you have worn .medium hairstyles 2014

31. Posted September 17, 2015

Fantastic submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t notice this. You must proceed your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & assist different users like its aided me. Great job.

32. Stephen Ge Michos says
    Posted September 20, 2016

I’m from the lines of Chiefs,Sultans and Kings but find fork tongue rude distasteful and of lower value and intelligence than the truth. My British Secret Service grandparents never had the opportunity to train me everything I accomplish is through my Royal blood allowing OUR Heavenly Mother and Father to speak to me as well as AIA the Angles. I assure you my love for the Queen is eternal and I shall see her respected or I shall see people shamed for their low brauw behavior. Now to the seeds, I perceive a possible issue with forcing anyone to suppress such strong emotions over the loss of a loved one for no other reason than to attempt to hurt someone and tarnish that persons memory. I also see the young wife and mother being emotionally terrorized in order to either cause the young couples love to suffer or to work in combination with “triggered” devices to cause suicidal thoughts in a young women that has most assuradly never contemplated taking her own life and leaving her children and her people to suffer at the hands of likes of you and the polititions. Think long and hard about the kind of life you would like to have manifest for you and the ones you love. OUR blood is as thick as OUR souls and OUR hearts have withstood many arrows. WE are not going anyplace until WE head out US faithful on OUR mission to spread the good word of the blood of the Christ. Good day.