links + loves

img_0428

My sister sent me a sweet little package last week and in it were these beautiful Elisabeth Ashlie earrings! AND THEY ARE NAMED KATE!

Other than the temperatures cooling down, I love fall because that means it’s time for another murder mystery party with my friends! This will be the 3rd year I’m throwing one, and with each one I try harder and harder to make it really fun and as “realistic” as possible. This year I chose a “jazz age” theme, and the event is at a speakeasy overflowing with bootleggers and flapper dresses. Also, the club it takes place in is called The Cats Meow, so that just about sold me right there. Anyway, Ken at playingwithmurder.com KINDLY offered a discount code for any reader of 25% off using “smallthingsblog” when you buy a game! The two past murder mystery parties have been from Playing with Murder and I have to say they are both very involved and interesting, but also absolutely doable to any skill level or experience. Try it this year! And let me know which one you do!

How cute is this DIY litter box cover?

Cute tabletop planters!

Are you a beauty blogger? One of the perks is that brands will send you new releases of products, but sometimes that leads to 1. duplicates of products you may already own or 2. receiving something that isn’t your color or for your skin type. On average, I receive about 2-3 packages a week so I have a laundry basket full of items that I knew I’d never use or that wouldn’t work with my coloring or skin type. I learned you can donate unused cosmetics or toiletries to a battered women’s shelter, and made a drop off this week. I just wanted to share that in case you are ever in a position where you don’t know what to do with unused products like that!

If you love Tarte blushes as much as I do, look at this insane deal for 10 blushes!

This apple crumb cake looks yummy!

Pretty coasters.

Cute and useful triangle pouches (also a DIY!).

Hope you have a lovely weekend, and stay safe if you are in hurricane Matthew’s path!

Recent links + loves here and here!

1. Posted October 7, 2016

What a fun mail surprise, who doesn’t love care packages?? Such pretty earrings!

2. Lauren says
    Posted October 7, 2016

Ahhh! I love that shirt – where is it from?!

• Amanda says

OldNavy

3. Lauren says
    Posted October 7, 2016

I love those earrings. So pretty! And I didn’t know that about donating products. I have so many that I’ve never opened just sitting in my closet!

Fizz and Frosting

• Kayley says
      Posted October 7, 2016

You can also donate unused cosmetics to your local Dress For Success chapter! The women who use DFS are lacking the funds needed to look their best for job interviews to better their lives. It’s a great cause and no one ever thinks to donate cosmetics (think all those Sephora samples just sitting around).

4. Charlotte says
    Posted October 7, 2016

I love that litter box cover!!! It’s too cute!! Thank you for posting it!

5. Chrys says
    Posted October 7, 2016

You cut your bangs! I have been wanting to do this for awhile, but always decide not to at the last minute. Can you do a post about cutting & styling bangs?

6. Melissa G says
    Posted October 7, 2016

I want bangs…but both my daughters tell me not to!

7. Alyssa says
    Posted October 7, 2016

I was looking at that apple crumb cake the other day. Yum!!

8. Bria says

Hi Kate!

I’ve been looking into doing a Murder Mystery party recently, so this is perfect timing! Question: on the Playing with Murder website, it has a “clean” party section with no adult content which led me to wonder what was in the other options.. my guest list includes some kids and some fairly conservative couples, so I’m wondering if there was anything you’d deem inappropriate in the 2 parties you’ve hosted so far? Thank you so much!

• k8shusband says
      Posted October 10, 2016

Bria,
      I don’t know the material as in-dept as Kate does, but I can tell you it’s all pretty flexible. We do it with our small-group from church + some other friends and while it might if some people “flirting” with others, you can easily keep it clean.

• Bria says
        Posted October 10, 2016

Thanks very much! It’s so nice to be able to get recommendations from someone you trust. =)

• k8shusband says
          Posted October 10, 2016

Sorry, my message was full of typos… hope you enjoy it. The best part is dressing up and goofing off with your friends!

9. Steph says
    Posted October 7, 2016

The blush deal. MUST. GET. NOW.

10. Mel says
    Posted October 7, 2016

Love the bangs! They look really refreshing and cute for the upcoming cold months!

XO

11. Kayley says
    Posted October 7, 2016

You can also donate unused cosmetics to your local Dress For Success chapter! Many of the women who use DFS are transitioning back into civilian life after a period of incarceration and lack the funds to buy cosmetics. It’s a wonderful cause, and I know they would be so appreciative of your donation!

12. Lisa Hays says
    Posted October 7, 2016

Love the picture of you! I’ve never seen a bad picture of you but I am loving your bangs and the way you styled your hair is just so soft and feminine! Beautiful earrings also.

Let us see more of your bangs.

13. Amanda says
    Posted October 7, 2016

You’re gorgeous! I didn’t even recognize you in the photo (even though I did read the post about you cutting your bangs). Love the bangs! Lovely earrings too!

14. Lauren says
    Posted October 7, 2016

There’s a fabulous charity, Share the Dignity, where you select a handbag you no longer use and fill it with the necessities and luxuries for ladies. Those leftover or unused items would be perfect for a charity cause like Share the Dignity.

15. Cindy says
    Posted October 8, 2016

Love the earrings your sister sent. Have fun @ your party, and finally, love your bangs! Such a sophisticated look. Well done~

16. Posted October 8, 2016

And I love the Elisabeth Ashlie earrings!

17. Ashley says
    Posted October 8, 2016

That blush deal!!! Thanks for the link. I went right over and ordered!!

18. patoots says
    Posted October 8, 2016

Oh my goodness I am loving your bangs Kate – what a great look on you!

19. Posted October 13, 2016

Looks beautiful…

20. Tracy says
    Posted October 13, 2016

I LOVE your bangs! Very flattering and lovely.

21. Amanda says
    Posted July 19, 2017

I just finished hosting Jazz Age Jeopardy from Playingwithmurder.com and oh my goodness, my guests had a blast!! We’ve never played/hosted. Thank you for the discount code and for posting a while back. We can’t wait to make it a yearly thing!