The Ponytail

There is a big difference between the “I’m going to the gym” ponytail, and The Ponytail. This tutorial will show you how to do The Ponytail

Refer to this post to see what’s in my hair.
**I’m wearing a new lip color by MAC called Bare Again.
All you will need is a tiny little jaw clip (you’ll see it in the video), some bobby pins, a clear ponytail holder (I recommend Conair Polybands) and some hairspray.
(Sweater: The Loft Outlet Fall 2011, Earrings: Elisabeth Ashlie Jewelry)
the ponytail

Comments

1. Shannon B says

Fab! I’ll need to do this one. Can i make a request…will you take pictures that are directly from the back. The pony isn’t so technical that i need to see the final result, but some of the other ones are hard to tell how gorge the final product looks.
    Thanks!

2. Ria says

This is amazing!! I’m so glad I found this via pinterest, I am going to try one of your tutorials every week before work. :) I have one request…can you show how to curl hair with hot rollers? I have hot rollers that come in 2 different sizes and they never look right when I curl them. =/ Thanks Kate!!

3. Anonymous says

I love Monday’s and look forward to it all week to see what you blog about. I’m going to try this today Thanks!

I am so happy I found your blog! Most of the tutorials and pictures on the Internet are of long hair styles and my hair is your length. It is nice to see your videos and posts to give me more ideas of how to style my hair as I grow it out from my short a line cut. I actually feel inspired to do my hair now. Thank you!

Who knew The Ponytail was such an art? We are watching your video in class instead of our lecturer because this is vital info. :) Thanks, Kate!

I really love your watermark on your pictures! Very classy! Your videos are great! I am so glad I found you because I need major hair help!

<3 LJ from MyNewestAddiction.blogspot.com

7. Anonymous says

I saw your photo on Pinterest and have now subscribed to your blog. All I can say is, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! You have solved my hairstyling dilemmas! You ROCK!

Kate, I remember the first time you mentioned not wearing pony tails regularly. It has made me wear them less!

Can’t wait to watch the video.

I’m kinda laughing because I just left the gym and have a gym ponytail.

Seriously, I have to get to your studio sometime to teach me how to deal with my mess of heavy, thick, coarse hair!

kate — i have just found your blog and i have to say..i LOVE it!!!

i’m going to be trying your messy ponytail/bun this week! i do have a quick question about blow-drying. my hair has a lot of curl in the back but not the front. do you still recommend blow drying with a paddle brush upside down? i usually use a round brush then flat iron…but, i am curious as to what you would suggest!! thanks so much :o)

i’m gonna start following you on twitter too :o) (@jenngetts)

10. Anonymous says

Jimmy Fallon once said that “a ponytail is the perfect way to make the back of a womans head look like a horses butt”, (he didn’t actually say “butt”, but I didn’t want to get in trouble for using bad language…you get the point). Since then, I have never dared to wear a ponytail. Thanks to this tutorial, I might try it again, just better this time. Thanks!!!

11. Krystal says

I am clueless about hair, but I’ve been learning a lot from your posts. They’re amazing and I’ve been getting lots of compliments about my hair!

So glad to have found you via Pinterest! (It’s like crack, isn’t it?) I have your cut and color already, but hadn’t figured out how to style it at home. To make it worse, my stylist sits right behind me in church! I have to think she must sit there distracted from the sermon by the state of my poor hair. So I’m excited to try some new techniques and see if I can up the style factor for her this week. ;) If I may, I would love to see a post at some point with a little education about combs and brushes. I’ve seen your FAQ on your flat iron and curling iron and dryer. I just realized as I was watching today that I don’t have a comb to properly tease with. I just have one for detangling. also, a friend was listening to me fuss about how frizzy my hair has gotten since we moved to a new town with terrible water and she commented that changing my brush might help. So I’d love to see something about those if there is anything there to teach. Thanks!

I love your tutorials. I haven’t been able to find the polybands in stores, but I did find them online. Before I order them, do you know what diameter they are? I have very thick hair and my ponytail is at least an inch in diameter. All of the clear ponytail holders I have been able to find are super tiny and would never work. I’m curious if the Conair polybands are bigger. Thanks!!

14. Emily M says

Hi!
    I’ve just viewed your post about your everyday hair products after watching this video – I have long hair, at least twelve inches and I’m looking for a product that I can use to add some texture to my hair before I use my curling tools. Unfortunately I’m in Canada so it’s impossible to find Aquage anywhere unless I order it online from the States, but considering it’s a root volumizer I’m not sure whether it would do me any justice, texture-wise, considering the length of my hair. What product would you suggest for styling long hair? For example, my hair is long, pin straight, and soft, so it takes a lot of effort to hold a curl.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

15. Anonymous says

Hi kate , love the blog ! I am a stylist as well and I am going to weave a brown in my hair can u tell me ur color as well as ur method when weaving thanks this would be so helpful :)

Love this! Saw you highlighted on another blog. Popped over and just watched your tutorial on the ponytail (not mine). Love it! Will you do suggestions for fine hair !!! I ‘m trying to follow, but button is down. I’ll be back to follow cuz I don’t want to miss something!
    laura

17. Anonymous says

THIS is perfect! I have hair very similar in length and style to yours and I desperately needed some tips on different ways to fix it! THANK YOU!!!

18. Brandi Reed says

Relatively new to your blog and I must say that for a wash and go girl like me your tutorials are AMAZING! They explain everything so simply as well as showing the methods used to obtain the end result. I have tried your curling technique and while mine does not turn out as awesome as yours, it does vastly improve upon what I was getting my hair to do before your blog. I love “The Ponytail” and really want to attempt it today for pictures with my 11 month old son.

Love your blog and have a blessed day!

19. Anonymous says

I ave to dsay thank you so much, I have five kids and a job as a nurse and I have so manythank yous to you for all of these awesome hairstyles you have shown me:) I am now doing my hair in a short amount of time rather than a long amount of time with no style :) Thank you so much for showing me how to be beautiful again :) xoxo April

20. Anonymous says

So Glad that I found you on Pinterest…tried your curling hair tutorial and the messy bun tutorial…and I have Holly wood Hair!!!! Always wondered how to do this! You are amazing! Thank you so much! I also ordered all the products you use for you hair…wish you got commission for this sale!!!!

21. Anonymous says

You have made my life so much easier. My hair is the same length as yours and I hated it and just wanted it to grow because I didn’t know how to do anything with it. Now, you have shown me so many different things I can do with my hair with the length that it’s at and am saving me money from buying extensions. Thank you SO much!!

Kate, I started using the bobby pin trick in my ponytail and love it, but when I wear a ponytail I’ve been getting headaches. My hair is really long and I’m wondering if maybe the weight of my hair is what’s causing them or do I wear a ponytail too much? I have a habit of wearing them at least 2-3 times a week…I live in Texas so it’s cooler then wearing it down! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just discovered your blog and I am in love with it! I have super thick hair and have always had troubles styling it. Your tips have worked fabulous and I actually feel like I have cute hair now. Thank you so much!!

You have such pretty hair :) thanks for sharing…. i am so hair challenged. I put mousse hairspray in my hair twist my bangs into a lil poof then do a messy bun everyday :( think im gonna look at everything you have on here to learn something. :)