Luke is 3!

I’ve been obsessing over this photo ever since I dug it up this week. Can you even handle his little chin?

Luke turned 3 earlier this week and we had a fun time celebrating him with my family.

He makes me laugh on nearly a daily basis with his silly faces and funny personality. If he had it his way, he would exist within 20 feet of me at all times.

In fact, it’s a running joke at my friend Caroline’s house that when the 4 boys (my 2 and her 2) are playing upstairs, we can count on Lukie to come downstairs several times just to check in with me and get a little “mom time” before going back up to play.

We did not find out that Luke was a boy during the pregnancy. It was the first time we had decided to be surprised and it was the BEST surprise. Justin got to tell me that it was a boy in the operating room and I remember saying, “A BOY? That is SO FUN! A boy! How fun!”

I loved the idea of having two boys so close in age, and it has truly been an absolute joy to see my two sons grow up so close to each other.

I recently became an aunt for the first time and the four of us went up to visit the boys’ little cousin for the first time this week. Luke has always loved babies so I knew he would get a kick out of seeing a little newborn baby.

Sure enough, as soon as he laid eyes on him he looked up at me and said, “He’s so cute!” and then started gathering up all the baby things to bring over to the pack n’ play where the baby was sleeping. Luke gathered toys, blankets, burp cloths, hats, extra socks, and anything else he could find and started hoarding them all around the baby. It was so sweet.

He asked to hold the baby and was grinning from ear to ear while also helping hold the pacifier in his mouth with his finger.

You can imagine that I’m so excited to see Luke interact with his newest sibling come May. While I’m a little sad that he won’t be my baby anymore, I’m loving watching him grow up!

P.S. Luke’s birth announcement post here with the sweetest video in history, and my c-section experience

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Posted February 15, 2018

Awww, happy birthday to little Luke! 🙂
    He looks so adorable in these photos! ❤️

2. Sherry says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Happy Birthday to your little Lukie, he is so adorable !!!

3. Jenny grimes says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Happy birthday Luke ! I wish you could have been with him on his special day. This post seems to indicate that you were but really you were in New York eating cookies dough.

• Andrea says
      Posted February 15, 2018

Why would you mom-shame a total stranger? It’s obvious that Kate loves her family very much. Her whereabouts on her kids’ birthdays is none of your business.

• Nadine says
        Posted February 15, 2018

Isn’t it a given to be with your young child on their birthday though? Birthdays only come once a year. A business meeting can be rescheduled or Skyped or whatever.

Posted February 15, 2018

I understand that by sharing a portion of my life publicly that may allow people to assume they can form an opinion based on a mere percentage of what they see on the blog and social media, but there were a number of factors that played into how this weekend panned out. Justin and I are comfortable with our decision, which seems like (to me, at least) like the most important thing since it was our sons birthday.

• Iana says

Nadine,
          It’s absolutely NOT a given to be present for a kid’s birthday. Many parents miss their kids’ birthday due to work (mine did at times), sickness/hospitalizations or a variety of other needs/obligations. I never felt unloved on uncelebrated if we did it a few days late or early. It’s a blessing to be able to have the choice to be there to celebrate on the actual day, but to assume that everyone is in the position to have that choice is judgmental. I hope you’ll always be able to celebrate your family’s birthdays on the actual day since that’s important to you, but remember what a privilege that is since many are not in the same position as you.

Posted February 15, 2018

I’ll never understand why this happens. Truly. Thanks for the kind comment, appreciate your support!

Posted February 15, 2018

Jenny, I understand what you are trying to do with your comment. You are not the first. Justin and I are comfortable with our decision to celebrate his birthday 24 hours after the fact. There were a number of factors, of which you know none, that played into how this past weekend panned out, and I’m not interested in your commentary on my parenting decisions.

• Hannah says

👏👊

• Katie says
      Posted February 15, 2018

Unbelievable. Kate, I’m sorry you have to deal with this utter nonsense from strangers. You’re an awesome mom and don’t let anyone tell you differently.

4. Posted February 15, 2018

Happy Birthday to Luke! He is always smiling and looks like such a happy little guy.

Posted February 15, 2018

he really is! thank you!

5. Allie says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Happy birthday Luke! It’s so special you get to look back at the blog and have your thoughts from your kids growing up to reread and smile at. xAllie http://www.theallthatglittersblog.com

6. Kelly says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Happy Birthday sweet Luke. I cannot believe you were born three whole years ago. It just seems like you and your brother were newborns yesterday. You have the best mom and dad and extended family. They seem super awesome and they love you so much. Here is to a great year! Being 3 is awesome! And this is the year you become a BIG BROTHER!!!! So exciting.

Here is to you Luke!!!

thank you Kelly!

7. Lauren says
    Posted February 15, 2018

How was he ever that tiny?! He’s the best. You’re the best. End of story.

8. Suzie says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Happy Birthday to you and your sweet family! You are blessed that you and your husband have so much quality and quantity time together and with your boys! (Just be careful calling him “Lukie”. It’s hard to stop….mine is 20 and I still call him “Jamesie” – much to his chagrin. 🙂

9. Beckie says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Oh how lovely! His tiny chin really is just too cute. Bet time flew by!

Beckie || The Pale Tails

10. Chelsey says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Happy Birthday, Luke! I love all these pictures–he’s going to be the sweetest big brother (along with his big brother, too!) 🙂

11. Marie says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Awe, happy birthday to Luke! What a heart-warming post! I hope he has a wonderful day that leads into an awesome year! 🙂

12. Leiah says
    Posted February 15, 2018

My stepdaughter recently had her third child and also chose not to know the sex beforehand. Her husband told her it was a boy and their 4-year old twin boys, came out to the waiting room to tell they family they had a little brother. It was the sweetest thing ever. Happy birthday to your little big brother and thank you for sharing your family with the rest of us.

13. Kelley williams says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Enjoy every precious second as they grow up so fast…my baby son’s birthday is today and I don’t know how he became 30 so fast!

14. Karly says
    Posted February 16, 2018

Happy Birthday Luke, you are blessed to be at to work from home and spend so much time with them!! You can celebrate his bday whenever you & your husband choose!! Cheers to that.

15. Gwen says
    Posted February 16, 2018

I’ve had a special fondness for your sweet Lukie ever since your “I wuv Chapstick!” Instagram story. He’s just so funny and adorable. And, I can’t believe he’s three already. Many blessings to your sweet boy.

16. Shara Campbell says
    Posted February 17, 2018

Your boys are growing up so fast!! Such a sweet time in your life right now!! 💙