What happened when I tried the new Kristin Ess Shampoo and Conditioner

shampoo, conditioner

I first began hearing the name Kristin Ess through The Beauty Department blog, which used to have some affiliation with Lauren Conrad though I’m not sure if it still does. Then I found her on Instagram and learned she does a bit of celebrity hair while also contributing to The Beauty Department.

Beyond that, I don’t know too much about her. I didn’t even know she was launching a product line until a reader asked me if I knew about it!

It took me a few trips to Target to actually get my hands on it, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that each bottle was only $10.00 each!

The shampoo was nice, and I immediately noticed a strong floral smell. It wasn’t a bad smell, but compounded with the steam of the shower it made it a bit strong compared to what I’m used to. It lathered up fine though, and left my hair feeling clean!

The conditioner was really great as well. It wasn’t overly creamy or waxy, so I knew it wouldn’t feel too heavy on my hair but it certainly left my locks feeling conditioned and moisturized. I had to work through a few tangles, but I think that could have been solved by brushing my hair better prior to showering.

Ultimately, my hair styled great and I was pleased with the duo! It wasn’t a game changing shampoo and conditioner, but it’s a wonderful choice for a normal “straight forward does what it says it will do” shampoo and conditioner!

I didn’t wash my hair the next day and I still smelled the strong floral aroma on it. And ultimately it was that fact, the lingering fragrance, that caused me to not use it again.

I’m always happy to see people chasing their dreams and doing awesome things, so I’m still a fan! If she comes out with another version, perhaps with less fragrance, I’ll be sure to try that!

Have you tried it? What do you think?

More recent product reviews here and here!

1. Allison Vizzo says
    Posted March 2, 2017

Do you always shampoo twice when you wash your hair?

Posted March 3, 2017

No, just sometimes if I feel like it needs it!

2. Holly Allen says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I have naturally curly hair. I tried her curl defining cream and I LOVE it! It has taken the top spot away from Bumble and Bumble curl defining cream for me! I also love the curl texture spray (the name escapes me). Awesome stuff! This is a win for curly girls!

• Lauryn says
      Posted May 18, 2017

Same here! I used the bumble and bumble curl cream, but this stuff is cheaper and works much better in my opinion! Love it!

3. Posted March 2, 2017

I’ve been wanting to try this – thanks for sharing!
    Xo, Elizabeth

4. Ash says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I have tried the dry shampoo and the leave-in conditioner/detangling spray. The detangler is fantastic. I have fine hair that tangles very easily and this spray makes my comb glide through my hair like buttah, but does not weigh it down. The dry shampoo is ok. It has the same strong, lingering scent that you describe, and it does a decent job of absorbing oil. It’s not as good as the Living Proof dry shampoo, but it only costs half as much too.

5. Alyssa says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I haven’t tried the shampoo or conditioner yet because I have my products I love and just don’t really feel like straying from them. I have her leave in conditioner, dry shampoo, setting spray, pomade and texturizing spray. The leave in conditioner is my absolute favorite, followed by the texture spray.

To me, the leave in conditioner is the biggest game changer. My hair has never felt better.

That’s so interesting that the smell was on of the biggest factors for you. In the reviews I noticed people either loved or hated the smell!

6. Kady Millard says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I’m currently using and at first the scent of both shampoo and conditioner threw me off because it was strong . It doesn’t lather real well because my hair is extremely thick and kinda course because I do highlight it. The “one” conditioner isn’t enough for me so I probably won’t be buying again. Anyone have their best go to they’re willing to share ?

7. Crystal says
    Posted March 2, 2017

What do you do with products you try once and don’t like? Seems like you would be accumulating quite the collection of “near miss” beauty products.

• Kait says
      Posted March 2, 2017

I previous posts she said she donates them 🙂

8. Honore says
    Posted March 2, 2017

During high school my sister worked in the same salon as Kristin Ess and because of her stories about her diva behavior and ill treatment of the staff (my sister was a receptionist) I won’t be using her products.

9. Becky says
    Posted March 2, 2017

Haha, the sub-head should read “and nothing happened” 😂 From your style of writing I wonder whether you were irritated and asked yourself why you don’t have your own hair care out there.

Posted March 2, 2017

Certainly not irritated–I’m not sure how you got that impression! It just isn’t the right fit for me.

• sherry says
      Posted March 3, 2017

I hope you are proud of yourself for being so rude. I know it is so easy to criticize others behind a computer screen. Manners no longer exist in this new world of social media. “If you have nothing nice to say then you should say nothing at all”

• Becky says
        Posted March 6, 2017

Sherry, Kate, I’m sorry for posting a rude comment. Reading the review again, it read very differently.

10. Claire says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I have never tried these!
    I am always on a hunt for good shampoos that do not dry the hair and i really want to give these a go. The packaging is a little bit classic though.

11. KG says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I am so glad this review came out so quickly. I was going to pick up the shampoo and conditioner that you tried when I was a Target on Saturday. But, I said – I will wait to see what Kate has to say. Glad I waited. Thanks for your honest review!

And Luke saying “CALL SIRI” was too dang hilarious! I kept playing it because he cracks me up. And David saying “I SAID I DON’T LIKE YOUR NECKLACE” was priceless! Your boys crack me up!

12. Alit says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I heard you talk about it on social media and immediately looked it up and bought the Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave-In, Serum, Thickening Spray, and Dry Shampoo…. I was looking for a shakeup to my beauty routine so thought trying a whole line of new products could do the trick.

I love this line. Yes the fragrance is strong, but to me it feels like I’m coming out of the salon every day! I am absolutely loving the serum! I can blow dry my hair and barely have to use my straightener to get my hair looking great!

I will say that the thickening/volume spray has a strange smell to it as it goes on (alcohol maybe?), but still works great…

Sorry you didn’t like it as much as I do, but thanks for turning me on to my new favorite hair line!

• Olivia says
      Posted March 2, 2017

I have the thickening spray and it TOTALLY smells like alcohol! I thought it might just be my pregnancy nose but is definitely strong. However, I do still like to product!

13. Danielle says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I tried her conditioning cleanser because my hair was overly dry. It left my roots very oily and dirty looking but definitely conditioned my hair. I will try the shampoo and conditioner for sure. I also really liked the thickening spray!

14. Julie says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I would love for you to try Monat. It’s an all natural-chemical free hair care line.
    Would love to send you samples. Your review would mean a lot to me. As I have tried a lot of make up etc through your reviews on your blog.

15. Mallory says
    Posted March 2, 2017

The styling products are by far my favorite of the line! I’m loving the texture spray and the powder!

16. Brooke says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I’m so glad you tried these items and did a post about it! I’ve been debating trying the shampoo and conditioner after my stylist gave me samples of the cleansing creme and curl creme, both of which were too heavy for my fine curly hair. But the prices of the items and the fact that they are “safe everything” is a draw. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

17. Sara says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I’ve tried the Instant Lift Thickening Spray and I think it’s great so far! My hair feels weightless and it helps to hold my waves longer after using the flat iron. My only complaint is that the smell is very strong when you spray it – almost like nail polish remover – but it does not linger on your hair after blow drying.

18. Rebecca says
    Posted March 2, 2017

That is interesting that the lingering scent caused you not to use it again. I think most people want a product that makes their hair smell good, even the day after! I always try the products you talk about so I may have to make a trip to Target tonight to buy some 🙂

19. Katherine says
    Posted March 2, 2017

Thanks for the honest review Kate. I can definitely relate to the fragrance issue. I have always felt the same way about Moroccanoil. It’s a good product and many people swear by it, but I intensely dislike the fragrance of it. Simply can’t stand smelling it on my hair, so it’s a deal breaker.

20. Kim S says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I was thinking of trying this brand too. I’m glad to know about the fragrance, I am extremely sensitive to smells. Glad I didn’t waste my money!!!

21. Cait says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I tried the shampoo and conditioner and was not impressed. The shampoo took forever to rinse out and once it finally was out, my hair felt like straw. The smell was horrible and my scalp itched the day after using it. I was quite disappointed considering I spent about $20 for the set. For just over half of that cost, I could have just stuck to Ogx.

22. Jessie says
    Posted March 2, 2017

Can you post a pic of the back of your hair straightened. I love the front when you snapped it snap chat.

23. Courtney says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I tried it as well and my hair felt really good, but the smell was just too much. Are there any other drugstore shampoos/conditioners that you think are worth trying?

24. Christy says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I just saw blogger Natalie Borton raving about Kristen Ess’ depth defining water based pomade so I’m going to Target today to try this and the pomade! While I love my Davines, Living Proof and Kevin Murphy products, I need a less expensive alternative when I’m counting pennies.

25. Emily says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I am interested in trying the styling products, but I did not have a good experience with these. 🙁 I agree about the strong scent, and I also found that my hair felt weighed down and much more static-y than usual, even after multiple trials. I was bummed, because I’m also a fan of her & the bottles are super cute/aesthetically pleasing – ha!

26. Kait says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I’m the total opposite, I think. I love when the scent stays on my hair, because I go about 4 days between each washing, so I think the lingering scent would work to my advantage LOL. Thanks for the review!

27. Posted March 2, 2017

Sounds great! I was worried from the title that you used it and something horrible happened to your hair…lol.

Blush & Pearls by Angela

28. Posted March 2, 2017

I bought both the frizz management conditioner and the beach wave spray. The conditioner did NOTHING for my hair and in fact, I felt like it was even frizzier than normal. I do like the beach wave spray though, and feel that it enhances my waves and adds bounce to my hair.

29. Madeline says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I was so excited to try her products and took me a couple of trips to get my hands on them. I purchased the leave in conditioner, dry shampoo,. I returned these products the smell was too strong for my liking and it didn’t do a thing for my hair. I wish it would have

30. Amber says
    Posted March 2, 2017

I got the shampoo, conditioner, and curl defining cream. One of the things I love most about these products is the fragrance! It is strong but I find it to be a pleasant scent. The curl cream is nice because it is a good mix of gel and cream. It doesn’t make my hair crunchy. I also like the styling tips on the bottles.

31. Melissa Malone says
    Posted March 2, 2017

Why won’t you finish your story of how you met Justin and your new haircut that’s what everyone is asking for not your opinion of a shampoo that nobody has heard of from target…. Listen to your followers!!!

32. Anna says
    Posted March 3, 2017

Any suggestions of hair products to use for post pregnancy hair that is dry like straw and unruly??

33. alexis says
    Posted March 3, 2017

Hi Kate! I love your blog and have followed along since you first started it. I was reading through the comments to see how others felt about this shampoo and conditioner and I noticed some rude comments from other followers. I am thinking of starting a blog and I would have such a hard time dealing with people’s negative comments. I understand some people can take things differently, but I didn’t find your post to be rude at all and can’t see how others thought it was. How do you handle the negativity?

34. BayLee says
    Posted March 3, 2017

Kate I love your blog!!! Your little family is so cute! Quick question to you know of any products that would possible give my heavy stiff straight hair done life and possibly allow me to curl it? If I do curl it now by the time I get done with a curl it is back to being straight before I can finish the next one, any advice?

35. Emily says
    Posted March 3, 2017

I tried a few things from the line, as I follow and LOVE her instagram account. I, too, disliked the overwhelmingly strong scents. The texturizing spray and have wave spray both work awesome, but they drive me insane because the strong smell is not my taste and it lingers for days… I’m trying to power through and use them up. But unfortunately, I will not be repurchasing either.

36. Branna says
    Posted March 4, 2017

Hi Kate! I love your honest reviews. Just curious, have you tried any of Drew Barrymore’s FLOWER products? Just wondering your thoughts on that line.

37. Melissa says
    Posted March 13, 2017

When I saw you mention on Snapchat about this line I was excited to try it and looked at it on my last trip to Target but now not so sure. I really need a good recommendation on shampoo and conditioner for a very interesting head of hair like mine: dry scalp yet very oily roots and dry ends. I need some serious help!

38. jill says
    Posted April 6, 2017

A few days back on Instagram you stated you’ve been doing some deep conditioning on your hair. Can you share the products you been using. Thank you.

39. Posted April 12, 2017

This article makes me want to give this shampoo and conditioner a try.

40. Posted June 14, 2017

I just bought this yesterday at Target! I agree! The smell is stronger than any shampoo and conditioner I have used before. I did feel I had to shampoo twice to get a more through clean feeling from the shampoo. Great price and hair feels and smells good after 🙂