Work Out Gear for the New Year

top (currently on sale!)

My work outs have been almost exclusively at boot camp for the last 9 months or so. I’m still a huge fan of that program and am challenged on a weekly basis! I’m stronger than I’ve ever been, and last week I ran on the treadmill at another gym and it was the best I’ve ever felt on a run. I can tell my legs are stronger, and I’m in better cardio health than I’ve been before!

Anyway, the days of the week at boot camp offer a variety of different work outs. Usually there is an intense cardio element involved with every day, even weight lifting days. And then some days are straight cardio training. So I’ve learned what does and doesn’t work for gym attire.

In winter, I usually wear tight fitting athletic pants and a longer, and slightly looser top. I like having the option of tucking a longer top into the side of my pants if we are doing a bunch of burpees, so my shirt doesn’t fly up. I wear this top at least once a week, and am already considering getting it in another color. It’s like it has a built in air conditioner with the open back!

I’ve heard great things about the Champion brand at Target for athletic leggings, if you are looking for some at a lower cost than Lulu Lemon.

In the summer, I prefer shorts because it’s SO hot and there is SO much sweat. These shorts cannot be beat, in my opinion, and I’ll need to get a new pair this spring in a size smaller.

Lately my favorite sports bras have been these by Nike. I did have to size up, so just keep that in mind!

I love that I’ve found some high neck sports bras for tops that hang looser or lower on me. Like I said, there’s a lot of movement and jumping and high activity, so I don’t exactly want to feel like I’m showing too much skin at the gym. So the high neck sports bras are perfect for that. I think sometimes they are intended to be worn alone, as more of a top, but I need a several more abs before I would ever do that.

Other than that, it’s running shoes and no show socks!

What is some of your favorite gear for working out? I’d love to hear in the comments!

Check out some of my favorite athleisure wear as well as some great athleisure hairstyles!

In this post:

1. Sarah says
    Posted January 9, 2017

Have you come across any workout leggings, that can also double as athleisure, that aren’t LuLu Lemon prices? I love their leggings but man, they are expensive!

Posted January 9, 2017

I’ve actually heard great things about Champion brand at Target-I forgot to put that in the post!

• Alyssa says
      Posted January 9, 2017

I just bought two pairs of the C9 Champion “Embrace” high waist leggings from Target and absolutely love them. They’re great for both working out and hanging out around the house….and running errands. I strongly recommend them!

• Ashley says
      Posted January 9, 2017

The Victoria’s Secret knockout pants are the best, by far! I’ve worn them for the past year for Crossfit and hot yoga, and they are so so comfortable and great quality! They are on sale all the time for around $40. My black pair is hands down the item I wear the most for working out.

2. Posted January 9, 2017

i love the champion brand and i think that the quality is just great comparing to the price.

3. Posted January 9, 2017

I love Champion at Target, I’m always amazed by their quality. I got one of the zip-up hoodies years ago and it’s still in amazing condition, especially considering how much it’s been worn.

4. TrishR says
    Posted January 9, 2017

At this point most of my workout clothes are now Zella from Nordstrom. Not as lost cost as Champion at Target, but not as high as Lululemon. I just LOVE their Live In leggings. And you can often find some on sale as well. I even love them more than Lululemons!!

5. Posted January 9, 2017

Fitted leggings and top are my go to workout wear, but I definitely need some new sports bras. My current collection is starting to disintegrate rapidly.

Blush & Pearls by Angela

6. Karly says
    Posted January 9, 2017

As someone who is big into fitness. Good workout clothes is a MUST and YES it makes a difference. Lululemon is defiantly worth the money, not just for great quality but for customer service! My favorites are run times shorts, free to be wild bra and many of their leggings. Its an investment but totally worth it in my opinion. But for those that cant or don’t want to spend the extra money, old navy leggings are my next favorite, even though I find them to be a tad see-through…

• Karly says

are* a must

7. Sarah O says
    Posted January 9, 2017

That top is super cute! I might get one. I always wear capri leggings to work out because I can’t stand the movement of short material between my legs when I work out. I don’t want to feel any friction, anywhere. lol

8. Hannah Murphy says
    Posted January 9, 2017

Kate, the link for the shirt isn’t working for me. Would you mind reminding me what the brand is? It’s so cute! 😊

It’s by Athleta!

9. Posted January 9, 2017

Always a loose top!!! Whenever I wear something tight, I always find myself pulling down on it.
    Ps. LOVE the new look of the blog!!!
    xo

10. Michele O. says
    Posted January 9, 2017

I was an Asics fan until my newest pair. Saucony Freedom ISO EVERUN is the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever tried. I also have new FEETURES socks that are expensive but worth every penny.

11. Kristy says
    Posted January 9, 2017

I was super excited to read this post today since I’ve been needing some new workout gear. But I HATE HATE HATE posts where I HAVE to click on a link to even see what you are talking about! I don’t want to click just to be able to see the product you are referring to. I get it, affiliate links and such, but as a reader I am much more likely to frequent your blog if I know I can read a post and get all my info at once, instead of having to click thru to see a product first and then deciding “oh, yeah, that’s not for me.” It’s just super annoying and a huge blog turnoff. And it seems like it’s happening more and more on your blog. 😩 Those are just my 2 cents, as a longtime reader!

Posted January 9, 2017

noted. I like the conversational tone of posts where I just talk about things I’m recommending, and will sometimes get criticized for writing out the entire name of an item because it sounds too much like an ad. I try to include images of the products at the bottom of the post if you want a quick visual snapshot.

12. Posted January 9, 2017

I absolutely love that top and the twist it has in the back! Before having a baby, I loved my nike sports bras. BUT since I’ve had baby over 15 months ago, and being preggo now :), I’ve had some changes to adjust to and adidas has worked wonders for me! They’re comfy and come in all sorts of styles that would even accommodate nursing.

Thanks for the other suggestions! Haven’t tried the Target leggings, but I am a fan of the Gap workout leggings!

13. Cheryl says
    Posted January 9, 2017

I feel like you need to try the Zella leggings from Nordstrom. I recommend the high waist. They are amazing and a great price, especially during their sale every year.

Posted January 9, 2017

I have some regular rise, but would love to try the high rise! I’m so set on leggings right now, but if I need another pair those will be on the list!

14. Posted January 9, 2017

You are adorable! Just found your blog! Cant wait to read more! <3

15. Posted January 9, 2017

I really love Old Navy’s gear!!! Affordable, cute and lasts.

16. Brandi R. says
    Posted January 9, 2017

I’d love some good recommendations if any readers have any for plus size workout gear. I don’t find much at the stores for plus (like 2-3X) whether it be clothes or sports bras. I’m not quite there to wear skin tight, but I do like that type of material instead of cotton.

• Christina says
      Posted January 15, 2017

Zella at Nordstrom’s also has plus size workout clothes that is comfy and not too clingy. I also liked my Capri workout leggings from Athleta. I think those are only available online.

17. Kim says
    Posted January 9, 2017

That top is so cute! And I LOVE target workout clothes.. and Ross too!

Kim

http://trendkeeper.me .. get the best dressed globes looks for everyday!

18. Mel says
    Posted January 9, 2017

OMG I need to get back into my workout routine…I have been TERRIBLE!!

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com

19. Wendy says
    Posted January 9, 2017

Love the new site Kate! I love that Athleta top! Might have to pick one up for when it warms up this summer. I have some champion leggings and old navy and like them both. I also recently joined Fabletics and their Salar leggings and capris are awesome. Don’t know how they compare to lululemon, but the price is much lower. The compression is significantly better than my other pants, the fabric more opaque, and lots of color options. They have lots of good basics and athleisure pieces as well. I have a hooded sweatshirt vest that I’ve been living in. Shameless referral link in case anyone wants to check them out. http://www.fabletics.com/invite/108161607/.

20. Stephanie says
    Posted January 9, 2017

I looked at the size chart for the workout top and have a quick question…normal clothes I would get a medium but do you suggest sizing up for the top? How loose/tight it?
    Thanks! Love the new site!!

Posted January 10, 2017

I’m wearing a small, and there’s plenty of room!

21. Dawn says
    Posted January 9, 2017

I love new workout gear, it makes working out so much more enjoyable. I saw on your instagram post a question about how and when you are able to workout at the gym. The local gyms do not offer childcare and so I had to search other options. I found mindbodyfitness.live and have loved it. I work out with a trainer, I’m in my home and my kids can join me or be playing in the background. I have never enjoyed working out and now I do!

Posted January 10, 2017

thanks for sharing!

22. Posted January 10, 2017

Believe it or not, Victoria’s Secret makes GREAT sports bras for high impact. They keep the girls in place and are the most supportive sports bras I’ve found yet. I also love AlbionFit for cute tops and leggings!

Love this post!! I think I’m going to need to pick up a pair of those LuluLemon shorts 🙂

23. Michelle says
    Posted January 10, 2017

I’m in agreement with with you on the Pureology deep conditioner. I also live their shampoo and conditioner in Hydrate. But have you tried Kerry’s Platinum leave – In- conditioner and the Blow Dry spray? It makes my hair so incredibly soft.

24. Jenn Myers says
    Posted January 11, 2017

I am a crossfitter and I can not stand to spend all my time working out pulling up my tights. My most favorite ones have become Old Navy’s high rise compression tights and capris. They are cute, functional and very inexpensive. I like the cotton or compression fabrics better than the other options because they are not see through and are more comfortable too.

Another thing I love is wearing longer ribbed tight tank under my regular workout tank or tee shirt, it keeps everything in place, holds your tights on and keeps you from having to worry about tucking your shirt in for burpees, pull ups, etc. A good place to find long layering tanks is Jane.com. They are generally less than $10 and come in tons of colors.

25. Lyn says
    Posted January 11, 2017

The Champion or C9 I think they are also called, workout pants at Target are great. Just bought a pair of the curvy straight pair and a pretty marronish workout top on Sunday!! The pants can double as both workout and running around. The C9 items are 25% off this week with the Cartwheel app!!! 🙂

26. Katie says
    Posted January 12, 2017

LOVE that top! I just bought some capri leggings from Target with mesh cutouts.

27. Melissa Fann says
    Posted January 31, 2017

Thanks so much for sharing this! I’m always on the lookout for cheap, high quality clothes for the gym!

Melissa Fann | https://www.dealsdir.com/gymshark/