Messy Mohawk Braid Tutorial

I’ve got something a little new for you today!

mohawkbraid-8

Braids are such a fun way to change up a normal go-to hairstyle, and I especially like when they are incorporated in a creative way! From the front, this looks pretty much like a standard half up style, but JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE THE BACK. MINUTE 2:46 HAD ME IN TEARS!

Just kidding, I found that sentence heading in a “click-baity” type direction and I had to oblige. I hate click bait. If you follow on snapchat (@k8_smallthings) you may have seen Justin and I jokingly discussing click-bait type titles for his Rainier post in which we discovered my suggestions for click bait aren’t very compelling.

Anyway, back to the mohawk.

You know, as I write this I realize putting mohawk in the title should be shocking enough to click on, right? And you’re here aren’t you? Let’s get into it, shall we?

mohawkbraid-6

I use Amika Un.Done Texture spray and Kenra Volume 25 Hairspray for this look!

mohawkbraid-5

mohawkbraid-4

mohawkbraid-2

mohawkbraid-3

For more fun braid tutorials, check out this face frame braids tutorial and this low halo braid!

1. Alyssa says
    Posted June 14, 2016

I love that you hate click bait! Drives me nuts!
    This is such a gorgeous and fun style. I can’t wait to try it!

2. Karen Higgins says
    Posted June 14, 2016

Gi love your hair color! How do I ask my stylist to duplicate???? ?

3. Laura says
    Posted June 14, 2016

love this look kate! I’ve always wanted to try the mohawk braid but I’m super self conscious of my ears {they have GOT to be covered} as always, thanks for the tutorial 🙂

4. Jenean says
    Posted June 14, 2016

I love this! I’m going to try it tonight on my naturally wavy hair.

5. Posted June 14, 2016

This looks so fun, think I’m going to give this one a try!

6. Ann says
    Posted June 14, 2016

Thanks for this tutorial – I am going to give it a try. Also, just caught your Periscope – thanks for letting us know the shade of IT CC cream you use. Keep up the fun – your a bright spot in my work day.

I wear light!

7. Posted June 14, 2016

I love this! I have been getting a little more daring about my hair styles, and I may have to give this one a try. I also LOVE your nail polish. What brand/color is it?!

8. Bobbie Allgood says
    Posted June 14, 2016

I love your lip color. What color and brand is it? Thanks so much in advance.

Bobbie Allgood

9. Allie Gibson says
    Posted June 14, 2016

This was a fun up-do to watch – I like being able to see how gently you move the pieces of hair around when you’re pulling the teased parts back.

Your skin looks so pretty and naturally a little tan – is that “real” from being out in the sun or some sort of self-tanner? We seem to be a similar skin tone but I don’t tan — just burn! If you do use some sort of self-tanner, that would make for an awesome blog post or periscope video!

10. Sydni says
    Posted June 14, 2016

This looks so cute! Haha click bait is the worst!!

11. Andrea says
    Posted June 14, 2016

Your hair color is amazing! Love the texture of this hairstyle!

12. Jennifer Adams says
    Posted June 14, 2016

You have a great hair and your hair style is really awesome, I enjoyed it very very much,

13. Jenny W. says
    Posted June 14, 2016

This is my favorite style you’ve done to date, can’t wait to try it!

14. MarianneB says
    Posted June 14, 2016

Hi! I don’t know if you take questions or requests—but this is wedding season and as a family member I’ve been asked to wear a fascinator…any suggestions please??–never worn one before, only ever seen them @ the posh horse events and Kate Midleton(yikes!!!!, how to compare?!?…)have absolutely no clue…if you have any guidance as I am fond of your kind of undone style I’d appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance for your time.

15. Samantha Stegenga says
    Posted June 14, 2016

I wish I could do a braid on myself and make them look as thick as yours with my baby fine hairs! You have the best tutorials! ?

16. Jen S. says
    Posted June 14, 2016

I love this! Was super excited to see this first thing this morning – finally watched the video. It’s a rockin’ style with some classiness to it!! Great job!

17. Amanda Davis says
    Posted June 14, 2016

Where is your shirt from? I love the longer sleeves on your tee shirt. Thank you for all your tutorials they have helped me so much to try new things for quick looks being a school teacher.

18. Sara says
    Posted June 14, 2016

You’re really looking amazing these days – just FYI!

19. Casey says
    Posted June 15, 2016

Wow! This hairstyle is really beautiful and unique. Kudos to you for always coming up with innovative and stylish hairstyles!!

20. Mel says
    Posted June 15, 2016

Seriously….I am SUPER in love with this!!!! So perfect for Summer. So stylish and pretty. Your skin also looks amazing!!

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com

21. Leah says
    Posted June 16, 2016

Ah that looks so beautiful! I have super long hair so I am always trying to get them out of the way somehow haha I’m gonna try this ASAP!

Leah // http://www.sunmoonwars.com

22. Lindsay says
    Posted June 17, 2016

What is that lip color you’re wearing? I love it!

23. Charlsi says
    Posted June 19, 2016

I love this tutorial so much! Braids are pretty and really dress up a look without taking too much time. You have a knack for creating tutorials that are really easy to recreate. Thanks for posting!

24. Emma says
    Posted July 27, 2016

I LOVE this look! Could this be transitioned into an up-do? In a wedding in Wilmington next weekend I’m gonna need to beat the heat! Thanks for your amazing blog and tutorials!