Blissdom 2013 Recap

This is one of those posts where I end up staring at the screen not knowing where to begin.

So, I’ll start with the beginning.

I attended Blissdom for the first time last year (you can read my recap here) and absolutely loved it. It was so inspiring and I couldn’t wait to go back.

This year was the same–it was an absolute blast and informative/inspiring all at the same time.

In order to keep this post under 60,000 words, I’ll use the number technique to highlight my favorite aspects of the conference.

1. Friendships (new and old). Carrie, Beth Anne and I all traveled together last year, and this year we did the same thing. Last year we flew southwest, and it was an absolute breeze, however this year we were doomed to fly United, and while we got everywhere on time, there was much stress added to the travelling. Southwest > United.

2. Roommates (new and old). Carrie was my roomie last year. In fact, we had only known each other a very short time before we shared a bed and that quickly brought our friendship to a new level. This year we did the same, and had the pleasure of also rooming with Rebecca and Melissa. It was a great mix. I think it’s safe to say we all enjoyed each other! There were many, many laughs.

3. Sessions. I’d say last year my intentions for Blissdom were to glean as much information as I could out of the sessions. This year, however, my focus was more on connecting with other bloggers than the sessions. I attended a personal branding session with John Morgan, a session with some YouTuber’s, a writing session with Megan Jordan, and a writing session with Jeff Goins (who is also speaking at Influence Conference later with year, along with yours truly). I skipped out on one session in order to stay longer at a lunch with friends.
Fantastic keynotes were given by Scott Stratten and Jon Acuff, both funny and powerful speakers.

4. Social. I can’t even begin to list all the wonderful people I met. Everyone was smiling and absolutely delightful to chat with. I was telling my husband last night that I wish there was a “speed dating” session where you can sit face to face with as many people as possible and have an opportunity to chat with them for more than a few minutes.
I had fun at lunch and dinner with great groups of girls that I wish I could see more than once a year. The closest I can relate a blog conference to, as far as the social fulfillment is concerned, is summer camp. You spend every waking moment with these people who you quickly come to love, and then abruptly leave when it’s over. You return home to quiet, which is needed is some aspect, but miss the friendships that only had a short time to develop. But, I will say, traditional friendship is spread over a longer period of time than an intense weekend of sharing a living space–so while I only had a few days with my roommates (and the other girls), I’d say it feels like we’ve been friends for roughly 7-10 years.

If you asked me what the most informative “session” was during the conference, the piece of information or experience that I’ll never forget, I’d tell you that it was a conversion I had with Mindy and her husband Shaun on Saturday night. We ran into each other in a hallway at around 11:30pm (I think? I had no idea) and chatted for an hour or so. They are incredibly kind and helpful, and offered so much advice about YouTube, conferences, and blogging by sharing their experience. I’d say that was the most informative conversation, for me, at the conference in total.

I could go on and on about how fantastic the conference was but now I’ll let the iPhone photos (+ dslr photos from Melissa) do the talking.

Melissa, Carrie, Rebecca (who had to be photoshopped in because she was busy selling her beautiful bags at the market!)

Cashew and I

Carrie is always trying to blackmail me.

Celebrating our 1 year friend-iversary

#whenwillitbeover

I wish this was real.

Lindsey and I

MELISSA WON A NURSERY!

Kacia and BA
The night I did all their hair, my hair was the boring-est.

I did some 5 minute hairstyles on these beauties before the last event. I only wish I had time to do more/everyone I ever came into contact with.

Carrie is wearing the Half French Twist
A new concept for Kacia

A new concept for Nicole, similar to this one

Raechel is wearing a messy side updo, similar to this one

I could continue, but I’ll wrap it up for now. If you are ever on the fence about attending Blissdom, I’d love to push you off of it, onto the “attend” side. It’s a lot of fun, really helpful and informative, and I’m confident you won’t regret attending.

Hope to see you at Blissdom one day!

Comments

Jost stopping by to let you know I love your blog :) found it some months ago, and been poppin by every now and then ;) So many nice tips and tricks for us hair – and makeup-loving girls :) Just read a little more here – “about” – and happy to hear your`re a christian to. Hang in there – and happy easter to you! Ps. Enjoy the conference.
    God bless – greetings from Norway <3

Oh Blissdom looks to be so much fun! I hope next year I’ll be able to go :) Your hair styling abilities are simply amazing and not complicated for ladies like myself who are hair challenged lol! Have a great day!

I absolutely adore all the necklaces you girls are wearing that I clicked through, found Caroline G.’s site, got the coupon code, and bought myself two of them! :) Thanks!

I am kicking myself for not registering. WORSE YET… I live in Nashville and could have gone while it was here in Nashville. Good thing it was in Dallas, because the weather here was
    ::AWFUL::
    OK… so next year I WILL GO. Love your blog, and started reading a LONG time ago. Love the tutes, style recommendations, etc… I am a lot older than you, but some of your styles work for this 53 year old!!

I enjoyed all of your instagram posts, especially Blissdom with cats (that would be totally awesome if it WAS real). Blogging conferences seem like so much fun, but I just started a blog and I’m not sure if it would a good idea to go. What do you recommend?

I followed all of your IG photos from the weekend! It looks so great! I’m hoping to be able to go next year. Do you happen to know where/when it is? Did they announce it this weekend? Thanks for sharing your weekend!

Loved seeing your updates on instagram from this weekend. Glad to hear you had a good time as I have heard some negatives things from this year’s conference..You are awesome girly..love the blog!

I think you should do a session on speed networking next year! I attend an annual Higher Education conference related to those who work in Housing and Residence Life. One of the most popular sessions each year is a speed mentoring session. People make quick connections and build the confidence to make more! You could even do it with newcomers to Blissdom with some seasoned people to get different individuals interacting. Just an idea that you have and I have seen work in other settings so go for it :)

It was amazing to meet you! You are just like I thought you’d be in person, so nice and personable. This was my first Blissdom and I loved it. I can’t wait for next year!

I was so glad I got to meet and eat breakfast with yall on Saturday! Also, please pitch your speed dating session to Blissdom. I would totally go for it! The newcomers group did something similar, but it was kind of unorganized and I didn’t know what to do. It would be much better if we just had a bunch of chairs facing each other and had 2 minutes to tell each other our stories. Atleast then it would be a bit more organized :)

Kate! I enjoyed your post — and I was jealous that I didn’t get to meet you because I would haved for you to play with my crazy hair. {only the women at VO5 seemed to know what to do with it!} LOL. I’m glad you had a great time at BlissDom. If you’d like to read my post, it is up at my place now. It is a little different take on the event, but I eventually “let my hair down” and learned how to enjoy it!

Hi Kate! I’m so bummed I didn’t get a chance to see you this year – I got sick friday morning and flew out Saturday. I did see you Thursday but by the time I turned around you had disappeared into the crowd – boo…Well, it will have to be next year then! I even did the low chignon for my flight in ;)

I am Mariam used every single spell worker on the internet, spent untold amounts of money and discovered they are all fakes…i was the fool though; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the end, I decided that I wanted a tarot reading to know what my future held for me; I contacted a woman who lives locally to me and she told me about a man named (Priests Abija); he does not advertise on the internet, has another job for income, has no set prices, makes no false promises and refuses to help anyone that cannot be helped and even helps for free sometimes, he will give you proof before taking money. He is a wonderful man and he was the only person who actually gave me real results. I really hope he doesn’t mind me advertising his contact on the internet but I’m sure any help/ extra work will benefit him.contact him here as +447053820826 or spirituallighthealing101@live.com He travel sometimes.i cant give out his number cos he told me he don’t want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he’ will replied to any emails asap,love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,any sicknesses voodoo,Trouble in marriage,HIV AIDS,it’s all he does Hope this helps everyone that is in a desperate situation as I once was; I know how it feels to hold onto something and never have a chance to move on because of the false promises and then to feel trapped in wanting something
    more.

Hey kate,
    I have been thinking about blogging for awhile, but I really wanted to attend a conference first. I was planning on attending Blissdom but it turns out they are no longer having the conference. I was wondering if you knew any other conference for beginners?
    Thanks for your time!