The High Bun

Feeling bold? This hairstyle is for you.

Don’t confuse this with a messy and casual top knot. This is supposed to be a sleek, somewhat formal style for a fancy occasion.

And we’re not going to put socks in our hair for this!

I saw this photo of Reese with her hair in a high bun.

And I loved it on her.

So I tried it on me.

I’m much more likely to wear my hair in the double bun, or a twisted updo, but for those of you wishing to wear your hair in a sleek and sophisticated updo, this style is for you.

high bun

(double check to make sure your bun is centered. don’t be like me.)

Earrings: Francesca’s

_____________________________________________________

Comments

This style is great! As a waitress I have to have my hair up all the time and a ponytail gets so boring. I’ve tried the sock bun method but it always looks like I have a sock in my hair (duh)! Can’t wait to give this a shot!
    And that top? Gorgeous! You look fantastic!

Adorable. The sock bun has never worked for me. Any advice on doing this with really long hair? My hair is halfway down my back–would I just roll each section up inside of itself?

3. Anonymous says

Love the hairstyle and love your hair straight please show some more straight styles beautiful where did you get comb in video?

I LAUVE the high bun, Ive been wearing one through out this summer because its so dang hot and Im so dang pregnant, but now it just shows my chubbiness so Im retiring until after the baby is born.

5. JenniferChristine says

cute, Kate!
    ~Jennifer Christine

p.s. i think the “sock” bun looks best and works best for those of us with REALLY long hair…cannot even imagine how many b.pins i would have to use to do what you did! :)

Love this hairstyle on you! I have been rocking the sock bun the last 5 out of 7 days (i know i know..) and will try your process soon. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay @
    LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

7. CBEll says

I had to laugh – I wore my hair like this to a high school dance some dozen (or so) years ago and my mom told me I looked like I had a cow pie on my hair! Looks much better on blondes!

This style looks great on you! I especially loved your straight hair at beginning of video. I haven’t seen you wear it straight on your blog for quite awhile. I was curious what color nail polish you have on in this video? I love it!

9. Nikki G says

I love this look and cannot wait until my hair grows out so that I can try this. ALSO, what color and brand of lipstick are you wearing? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Yay! I used to do this to my hair because I was a dancer and needed the perfect big bun but always had shorter hair! This is one of my favorite go to hairstyles. Thanks for sharing!

I wanted to pop by and tell you that I’ve nominated you for Liebster blog award, you can check out all the info on my blog at: http://www.alittleboltoflife.com

Love this style, especially on you. But like other posters, I have long hair (about to the top of my chest) and I tried the style. I just can’t get it to roll and tuck right. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

12. Tiffany says

So cute! When I got to work today and started my morning routine of blog reading, I was cracking up, because this is how I chose to wear my hair today! However I just teased the ponytail and then wrapped the whole thing around my hair-tie…I think it gives it a bit more of a casual look while pulling off the same style. I definitely like your more polished version for something a little more fancy. Thanks for the info!

13. Anonymous says

Kate- I think your hair looks great in the bun! You said you were more likely to wear it two different ways but I vote for the bun. He look very classy in it!!! BTW- I’m a “retired” hairdresser and I love your tutorials!!

14. GFerg says

Cute…I used to wear my hair like this in high school in the late 80s/early 90s. I’m glad the style has come back!

How do you get the clear elastics to work? I only find them in one size, and I can’t get them to stretch! Very frustrating.

This is really adorable! I love the way these styles look. My biggest issue (besides not being able to recreate them on my own hair) is that having a bun or ponytail set so high hurts my head!

16. Anonymous says

I love this for hot days, I too am growing out a fringe (bangs) so this hairstyle pulls it all out of the way…..I will try this and hope Ican get the ‘tucking under’ bit right! This style is very big in the UK on teenagers. And I love that top – I have loads of things animal print! xx :D

I totally rocked this style today, and it wasn’t very hard to do. But what I really want to know is more information on your eye makeup in this video! Love it!

I L.O.V.E your hair tutorials. I’ve tried out quite a few of your ideas on my own hair… so thank you! One suggestion: You really ought to invest in a wireless microphone. It would make your videos so much easier to hear, especially when you turn your head away from the camera. There are some that are super cheap!

Thanks Kate! My hair isn’t quite long enough yet…a few more months of growing it out. BUT…I did just buy myself that super cute top you’re wearing in the video!! Love it!

I’ve been having trouble lately getting my hair to cooperate in looking nice. I don’t know what I did to my hair but there’s been lots of breakage and it just doesn’t look and feel as healthy and wonderful as it was. So I tried this expecting it to fail like most everything else lately (I’ve been sticking to messy styles) and what do you know it turned out great! I have bangs and left them out and it was fine. My twelve year old sister informed me I looked like Tinkerbell. Not exactly the look I was going for but she assured me it was cute. :P

There is a chance that you might get great discount hermes birkin kelly handbags and deals on designer bags online. Most of the online stores provide great discounts and deals on designer cheap louis vuitton handbags to attract more customers. This way Online shopping will help you save a lot of money. Online shopping for omega speedmaster watches not only allows you to save money, but also helps to save fuel money and time. Moreover you don’t need to be time conscious as online best christmas gifts stores are open 365 days a year and 24 hours a day. So you can do shopping for designer cheap rolex watches whenever you are free and get time. Online shopping for designer catier bangles allows you to compare prices of different handbags in order to ensure that you get the best deal on the designer waterproof jackets.

I donated my really long hair about a year ago and I always used a sock and wrapped my hair from the ends to the base of my ponytail around an old sock that I used for my dance buns. When I donated it, I missed this hairstyle; it was my favorite. I found your video a few months ago and I use this technique to make my buns ALL the time. I’m so glad to have found it! Love your blog!