Sonia Kashuk Perfectly Neutral

I picked up this palette several days ago in order to show you a similar look to my daily makeup routine for less!

The price of this Sonia Kashuk Palette is about the same as 1 eyeshadow from Mac.

There, I said it.

Frankly, I’ve found that if you use a good quality primer, even less expensive shadows last nearly as long as the pricey ones.

For any questions about the brushes that I’m using, see this post

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Thanks Kate.. I love it.. I also wear contacts.. Could you please suggest an eyeliner? Not too pricey.. What colors? I have medium brown hair and hazel eyes..
    Thanks in advance
    Debbie

I have hazel eyes and also wear contacts. I have found that the cream eyeliners are really good and stay on really well. I like dark purples, dark blues and charcol looks really good as well. I have used Wet and Wild which works great and they have a plum color I really like. : )

Love those colors!

I’m with you, my fave eye shadows have been these Bonne Bell ones that I get at Wal-Mart..gasp! but they hold up well with primer!

4. Jennifer Skibins says

Kate, I have tried a TON of mascaras and I’ve watched your tutorials a ton too. And I think you would save a TON of time if you tried Mally’s Volumizing Mascara…it’s the very best mascara I’ve ever used and I’ll never go without it. It lengthens, curls, darkens and volumizes…without clumping, flaking or caking and washes off like a dream.

Hi Kate! I love that you posted a more “budget-conscious” eyeshadow palette :) I’ve been searching for a good primer that isn’t too expensive–do you have any less-expensive suggestions other than the one from Mac?

I was a diehard fan of Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer potion but it is so expensive and I was using it daily. So I now save my UD primer for going-out/special occasions and I use E.L.F. eyeshadow primer daily. It is cheap and amazing. My only tip is to let the primer dry fully (give it 2 whole minutes) before putting on eyeshadow. Sometimes they carry E.L.F at Target/Walmart/Meier but you can also order it online:

7. Anonymous says

You are adorable without make up!! I have to admit at first I thought you were someone else, till I heard your voice!!

8. Jessica says

What is all the way to the right in the palette? Is it a cream eyeshadow? Also, I purchased the Revlon lip butter in Sugar Plum today. I’m a redhead and have a hard time finding lipstick colors that don’t make me look like a clown. But, so far so good with this one! Thanks for the tip! – Jessica

Thanks for the information on the cheaper shadows. I tend to stay away from expensive products to watch the budget but end up with so many that didn’t work that I could have bought the expensive one at works ! I have eyeliner issues. It never stays on. I use a pencil and it looks great going on, but melts away before long. I’ve tried the liquid but I am just not talented enough to master that. Wonder if the primer would also help that stay on ? Might try it ! Thanks !!!!

• Emiko says

Try fluid line eyeliners from MAC. It’s a cream eyeliner that goes on with a brush. It’s not as tricky as a liquid but last longer then a pencil. It’s $14 but it will last you a very long time.

10. Anonymous says

I know most people think that M.A.C. is really expensive. And it is for one shadow compared to a palette of a few at a drugstore, but the colors you buy go on more true to what is in the container (because it has more pigment than other colors) so you won’t use as much as you would with the drugstore brands. And they last a REALLY long time! Trust me…it is worth the money!!!

Absolutely! Primer is the key, in my opinion. If you’re looking for cheap eyeshadows, do NOT overlook Wet ‘n Wild. Their eyeshadows are simply amazing, and they’re one of the cheapest brands you can buy.

I agree with another commenter that the ELF eye primer is good. I have oily, hooded lids though (doesn’t that sound lovely?) so it still creases on me after a while. The absolute BEST primer that I’ve found is Urban Decay’s primer potion. Yes, it’s a little pricey, but it lasts ALL day and one tube lasts me at least 6 months.

I have to second the comment above about Urban Decay’s primer potion. I love it. It really does last all day (and in North Carolina’s summer heat/humidity, that’s saying a lot).

13. Anonymous says

I was wondering if you have a tutorial on your foundation application. Your foundation always looks, flawless and no dark under eyes.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

what is the eye shadow brush called that has the double ends. I think I need one of those!
    thank you for your blog! you have really inspired me! I have found great ways to style my hair as i grow it out some :)

I am sooo excited that you put out this tutorial! I love your daily makeup and this is a very affordable way to accomplish the look!