Loose and to the Side Updo

I whipped up this soft updo while I was getting ready to go on my Christmas date with my husband! We went to a new (to us) restaurant downtown Raleigh and then stopped by the mall so I could pick out my Christmas gift–a beautiful pair of high quality sun glasses. I always buy the cheap Target brand, and then treat them as if they cost $20.00. So this pair that I got for Christmas is my first nice pair and I love them already.

Anyway, my husband likes my hair in ponytails. He loves it back, off my face. I love my hair down. So as a compromise, I wore it in a soft and low updo that is “back” but still shows some hair around my face.
This style is very soft and pretty. It’s best on shoulder length hair that is not too thick. If you have thick hair, it may fall as soon as you begin pinning it up. If you want to try this concept, and you have long or thick hair, just try tying knots in the hair as you pin it into the teased section. And use more bobby pins!

Refer to this post to see what’s in my hair.

**I’m wearing my new red lipstick

Low and to the Side

I also took some tips that you all left me from this post and made my casual outfit into a dressier look!

(My husband is taller than me, can you tell?)

Sweater: J.Crew Outlet, Dress: Francesca’s, Tights: H&M, Shoes: Target, Jewelry: Elisabeth Ashlie

Comments

Just found you recently via Pinterest! I love your concept! Your styles are fantastic and…so awesome that you provide so many tutorials :) I’ll be back often.

LOVE this hair style! I especially love how creative and free you encourage people to be with it–there’s no right or wrong way, which is helpful for me since my naturally-curly hair has a mind of its own! ;) p.s., I have to tell you THANK YOU for teaching me the RIGHT way to put in bobby pins! I’ve been putting them in wavy-side-down ever since I saw your post, and they hold SO much better! thanks! :) :)

you hair looked great~~hope you had a wonderful time with your honey!!! i actually have a question for ya’…i have been following you for a little while now and am pretty much obssessed with your blog!!! i have learned so so much from you. well~~on to the point?? i have heavly highlighted hair because my blond is pretty dishwater blonde and probably really considered a light brown. i have been watching some youtube videos and have noticed that they are saying to use shampoos and conditioners and a kind of spray to use on the roots~~ they say it does not take the place of the bleaching but it helps them to prolong the trips to the bleaching chair and also lightens the roots just enough so that it doesnt just stick out!!?? it this really something that i should invest in?? not that it is all that expensive but i guess the time is also an issue?? the items that i have been talking to you about are following: john frieda sheer blonde john frieda sheer blond color and renew tone both of those items are shampoos and the go blonder controlled lightening spray??? i am sorry that this is such a long comment but i do trust your opinions and advice~~oh i purchased the aquage uplifting foam!! as per your suggestions on your hair and i love love love it!!! thanks for your help…WenDee

I’m so glad to have found you! I have naturally curly hair and have never been able to figure out how to wear it in cute, simple styles that look flirty and fun without spending a ridiculous amount of time straightening it. Your fabulous up-dos (like this one) work perfectly for my hair. Since following your blog and copying your styles, I have had more comments on my hair than I can count. You are a God-send!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this look!!! Actually I love your whole look…hair, makeup, outfit….all of it! I hope you had fun with your hubby! I”m loving all the styles that begin with curls…my hair is naturally wavy and I just had it cut….so it waves really good….it’s the perfect foundation for most of your styles and as it grows a bit more it will be right on with yours! Thank you SO much for doing these tutorials!!!!

Kate… you are so beautiful & so down to earth! I look forward to checking TSTB everyday {sometimes even multiples times a day}. The tutorials have worked wonders for me. Yesterday morning I curled my hair with the curling iron for church & everyone commented on how full & gorgeous it was. And as excited as I am to get the compliments, I’m equally, if not more excited to share where I get my tips! Thank you again so much. I’m so excited for New Year’s Eve as I’m going to attempt some of the other classier do’s! You definitely have a lifelong fan in me. ~Marissa

That is very cute. I found your blog on my sister’s blog list. Our mom was a cosmetologist and passed away in 2007. I miss having her to ask about hair related things. Anyway, I loved your flat iron curl tutorial and got a flat iron for Christmas. I had a 1-3/4 for straightening, but it was too wide for curls. I can’t wait to try my new 1 inch! Thanks for the inspiration.

Love this. Do you think you could do some tutorials for girls with short bobs? Mine is short enough that I can’t put all the hair up into a pony tail.

9. Anonymous says

I love all of your blogs! And I love reading them even more because you are a christian! Thank you for all the inspiration!

10. Anonymous says

You said you use a 1″ curling iron to curl your hair, but it looks bigger in the video. I bought a 1″ and mine too looks smaller than yours. Did i understand you correctly? It is a 1″ right?

I wore this last night out to dinner! I didn’t curl my hair, but kinda scrunched it up so it didn’t look too perfect. It was super easy and looked dressy but not over the top. Thanks Kate!

Kate, I just wanted to let you know how much you’ve inspired me! I’ve been growing my hair for about 6 years now, and for the last 2 years I’ve come extremely close to chopping it all off…however…as soon as I get in “THE CHAIR” I chicken out. I came across your blog a few weeks ago and fell in love with your style. Your hair is gorgeous! Even though my hair is probably the exact opposite of yours, I decided to go for something similar to your cut. As I drove to the salon last night, my stomach was in knots! I was so nervous. Thankfully, I have a good Mama and she came to hold my hand. I woke up this morning feeling SO great about my decision, especially knowing some sweet little girl is going to get 14 inches of my brilliant brunette wildness that I loved so much! Thanks for all your great (and helpful) tips and inspiration!
    Blessings to you and your family for the new year!

13. Erika says

This hairstyle worked great for me – love it! The extra tips to have a little hairspray in the hair and make the “nest” helped a lot because my hair can be slippery. It was also low enough to cover my low hairline. I love updos, but my low hairline prevents me from doing them a lot. THANK YOU!

14. 30miles south of boston says

Hi Kate,
    I had to write, this holiday season more than a few of my family showed up at open houses with some “very familiar hairstyles”. Your tutorials are spreading like wildfire up here in the Northeast. I am 40 years old and have never quite gotten used to the curling iron until now. Thank you and keep it up! We love it – you are easing the “what should I do with my hair” anxiety of at least 10 women I know.

15. Anonymous says

Can’t wait to try this!!!! I love watching all your tutorials!!!! I learned how to curl w/my flat iron from you and how to do THE Ponytail!!! Thanks SO much your fantastic!!

16. Gina says

I just have to say that I found some of your hair pics on Pinterest and then came over to your blog. I LOVE the hair tutorials and took some pictures to my hairstylist. It’s been almost 2 weeks now and I am having so much fun with the hair cut! It’s fun to try different styles every day and I love using your blog to find new ideas. Thank you!!

BEAUTIFUL HAIR! AS ALWAYS! Love how you fix it. I chopped mine and the growing has begun…I have a LONG way to go but yours is such inspriation to keep going!

When I clicked on the title to this page from the hair style tutorials page it goes to an error page, only the image worked. Just thought I’d give you the heads up, it’s linked to the wrong page.

Love your tutorials! My hair is pretty long, though, and I have a hard time doing your tutorials with my hair. Do you have tips for doing this style with longer hair?

20. Anonymous says

What brand/type of bobby pins do you use? It might be my eyes but they look bigger than normal bobby pins.

21. Anonymous says

i just wat you to know how much i appreciate these hairstyle tips, im so sick of the same old same old! Your tutorials are addictive! Love your style, super cute!

Hi I just found this link on pinterest.com and I must say I love your blog, so glad i clicked on the link! I am definitely waering this hairstyle today thanks a bunch<3 I bookmarked your site and will be checking back often :D

I love this look! I Have similar length hair and have been looking for the perfect hairstyle for my wedding, which is next Saturday! Thank you for this tutorial!

24. Anonymous says

Thank you for posting this tutorial!
    I use this technique all the time now.
    My hair is similar length and texture to yours. I’d love to try more up dos, especially the messy top buns (or ballerina buns).

Do you have any suggestions for doing messy top bun hair styles with shoulder length, flat, medium weight hair?

25. Elena says

Hey Kate, i absolutely love your hairstyles! You’re amazing! I love updos! So, this blog is just for me! Do you think this would work on long hair? I LOVE this hairstyle, but my hair is really long (below my chest, not quite to my waist line). Thanks so much for all you do. Keep it up!!

26. Deb says

Hi Kate! I recently tried this updo’ on my best friend during her bachelorette weekend in Savannah! It turned out so great and will be the wedding “do!”. You are a great teacher! :) I adore your blog and have tried (and loved) several of the products you mention. I always look forward to reading your posts! Thanks again!!

I’m having so much fun playing with my hair thanks to your blog. I never know what to do with it so it usually ends up in a boring pony tail. For the side loose pony, you had mentioned that thick hair might be too heavy for all those bobby pins. I have very thick, fine hair and it comes right out. However, I used some spin pins by Goody and it holds pretty well. I brought the hair together like you did and used the spin pins to hold the majority. Then I touched it up with a few bobby pins to keep loose hairs down.

I absolutely love this!! Quick question, do you just *know* which shade of lipstick is right for you, or do you go through lots of trial and error? I have light eyes, so I’ve always liked bright lipsticks to make the contrast really POP, you know? But I can never seen to find a perfect shade, so if you have a method or something I’d love to hear! Much love, Piper

29. Lb says

I wore this look with a very thin headband tonight to an OLP concert and loved it! The style was perfect for being really cute while keeping me cool enough in the hot concert crowd. I’ll definitely keep copying a lot of your looks! Love the site and all the tutorials :)