My Mason Pearson Brush

I bought myself the Mason Pearson Handy brush when Emily was almost one. I had reached a milestone in my career that I wanted to nod to and also bought it with the intention of passing it down to her later in life.

I first learned about the Mason Pearson brush in beauty school when I was about 17 years old. The story behind it is so interesting to me, and I loved the idea of owning something that had such a significant effect on history.

It’s worth watching this brief video about it on the website.

I use it mostly for brushing out my hair, whether straight or curled, before I go to bed or before I wash it. It creates such a smooth, soft finish to the hair that is unmatched by any other brush I’ve used. Hair products, of course, go a long way in how hair acts and looks, but this brush truly smooths through my strands so nicely.

I noticed that it caused a bit of static electricity after the first few uses, but that has gone away. They mention this fact on the website FAQ.

I love the idea of gifting this to a daughter on a wedding day, or perhaps to a mom who just had a daughter, as a way to begin an heirloom process of handing it down through a few generations.

1. Posted May 6, 2020

I’ve been looking for a hairbrush for a long time –ever since I found out that plastic combs are bad for your hair (?). Thanks for the recommendation! 🙂

• Sadie says
      Posted May 6, 2020

Hadn’t heard that before. Just curious, why are plastic combs bad for your hair?

2. Kady says
    Posted May 6, 2020

Maaaaaan. $175 dollars. Not right now, not in quarantine, not ever. Sorry not sorry.

Posted May 6, 2020

Why would you apologize? No need to be sorry! Sometimes not everything is for everyone. The phrase “good for her, not for me” has been something I’ve adopted over the years… just some food for thought!

• Kady says
        Posted May 6, 2020

I like that thought! Thanks for commenting back! I usually am a positive person and love following you. This just struck me weird , maybe I should have commented!

Posted May 6, 2020

No problem! It’s a very weird time and I think we all need to be extra full of grace and patience. Everyone navigates differently and everyone is dealing with their own experience!

3. Krisitn says
    Posted May 6, 2020

Is it really worth the hefty price tag? Can you style with it?

Posted May 6, 2020

Well, it’s hard to answer your first question because everyone places different value on different things. It’s unique, has a pretty interesting back story (especially for those of us with a career involving hairstyling, beauty, etc) and unlike any other brush I own. You can for sure style with it! There are a handful of videos on the website actually, that could be a good resource to check out!

4. Kassie says
    Posted May 6, 2020

This may be a dumb question, but how were you able to get in the States (assuming you bought it here). I have been trying to figure it out and can only find how to get it in the U.K.

Posted May 6, 2020

They sell it an Anthropologie!

• Megan says
      Posted May 6, 2020

They sell it at Nordstrom, too, I think.

5. Carly says
    Posted May 6, 2020

I’m 32 and received as a gift a Mason Pearson when I was 16. It’s still going strong with very regular use! I have the pocket style with mixed bristles, so it’s smaller and therefore more affordable.

Posted May 6, 2020

It’s a really good quality brush!

6. Perrin says
    Posted May 6, 2020

These are on 25% off at Bloomingdale’s right now! Not sure how long the sale lasts.

• Gertilou says
      Posted May 9, 2020

I am so grateful you mentioned this! I nearly purchased one from Nordstrom, read your post and saved tons! It was still 25% off plus they had another promo for 10% more. Thank you! 🙂

• Perrin says
        Posted May 22, 2020

I bought one that day too! Also bought a knockoff on Amazon. The Mason Pearson is exponentially better. I hope you’re enjoying yours as much as I’m enjoying mine!

7. Allison says
    Posted May 6, 2020

I bought myself one as a gift when I was pregnant-I’d wanted one forever so finally did it! That was over 6 years ago and it’s still in great shape. My daughters call it the “shiny brush” bc it makes their hair shiny and they love to play with it. Just gotta make sure our new puppy doesn’t get to it!

8. Linda says
    Posted May 6, 2020

Curious to know if the mason Pearson brush can be used on African American hair.

• Lala says
      Posted May 26, 2020

I don’t have a Mason Pearson (yet) but I swear by boar bristle brushes on my natural hair. I use a round one if I do a blowout and a paddle one to smooth my hair for updos or before braiding or twisting for out styles and to do nightly maintenance.

9. Jennifer says
    Posted May 6, 2020

I bought one recently, too. I had wanted one for years and finally decided to go for it. I really love it. I feel it’s one of the best things I do for the health of my hair.

10. Sonja says
    Posted May 7, 2020

I bought myself a Mason Pearson boar bristle & nylon brush about 3 years ago and it has completely changed my hair in the best way possible. The texture feels smooth, my waves are bouncier, I have less split ends, and generally I don’t need to get my hair cut as often anymore. I use mine in conjunction with a wooden brush as I too (same as one of the comments above) have learned about plastic brushes being damaging to the hair. Since making the switch to the MP and wooden brush (TEK) I’ve noticed my hair is a lot less stressed out. I feel like my hair is finally the texture it’s meant to be! It is so expensive and definitely not a necessity but I have never regretted my purchase and if it’s in the budget I would absolutely recommend. You really only need to buy it once in a lifetime as it seems like people have theirs for decades with proper care. It would also make a REALLY lovely gift.

11. Posted May 8, 2020

I’ve been using a Mason Pearson hairbrush my whole life! There’s nothing quite like it and totally worth the replacement. It’s years before I need to replace it with a new one (literally, YEARS).

12. Katie Meg says
    Posted May 8, 2020

I was just going to ask you about this tool in your Ask Kate earlier this week! I don’t have nearly the hair tools or products you do (no flat iron, I touch my curling iron once a year, maybe, and I do simple blow outs with the products I know and love), but a brush seems worthy of the investment, as my most-used beauty tool.

13. Heather says
    Posted May 8, 2020

I’ve been intrigued by these for a while but never pulled the trigger. I think now a days, it’s hard to cut through all the consumerism and marketing to figure out what products are actually WORTH spending money on. You know how people say (and it’s mainly true) that things aren’t made the way they ‘used to be’ years ago? We live in a disposable world where nothing lasts beyond a few years. I’d buy a brush that was expensive if I knew it was worth it’s price tag and would truly last. I can’t tell you how many brushes I’ve had over the years. Would you be interesting in doing a series on other products that are worth their cost and stand the test of time?

• Rachel says
      Posted May 8, 2020

I would totally be interested in a post like this too!!! Products worth the price tag versus products that are just hype. Based on another comment above, I’ve got the brush in my Bloomingdale’s cart and I’m trying to decide whether to pull the trigger or not. 🙂

14. Leslie says
    Posted May 8, 2020

Thanks! I’ve been thinking I need to start an heirloom to pass down to my two year old daughter someday. I just ordered the Mason Pearson Pocket Brush, it’ll be perfect! She loves for me to brush her hair and she’ll pat the chair for me to sit while she brushes mine ❤️ Thanks again for the sweet idea, I would’ve never thought of it!

15. Chelsea says
    Posted May 9, 2020

I had never heard of these brushes before, thanks for sharing. Coincidentally, after seeing this post I saw them at Costco! It was the “pocket” version, if I remember correctly. Definitely not the higher end version you wrote about, Kate, but quite a bargain at $25.

16. Kimmy says
    Posted May 9, 2020

What a sweet idea to pass on❤️ It’s special and practical!

17. Teresa Dyment says
    Posted May 9, 2020

I think one of the things you have to think about when buying a brush like this is just what Kate said, “It will be an heirloom.”
    How many brushes have we all bought and tossed over the years? This one will not be one of those hair brushes.
    When I was in beauty school (way back in 1989) I bought a bone comb from Pivot Point. I think I remember it being $90 and that was a lot of money back then. But guess what? I still have it and my girls remember it always being in my drawer and has always been one of my favorites.

18. Megan says
    Posted May 15, 2020

Where is the watch from in the picture? Thanks!

Posted May 15, 2020