Trends for a Casual Spring Wardrobe

Most of you know I live in Raleigh, North Carolina, and I’ve been here for 11 years!

We typically have short and mild winters, and our summertime starts in May and runs strong through October. I’m originally from the midwest, so I do miss the crisp, cool Fall days, but in general I truly love that it’s usually quite warm for a lot of the year.

So what that typically means is Spring comes early, and Fall never really shows up, so since it’s February I’ve already got my eyes set on warmer, sunnier days.

In light of that, if you are thinking of adding a few pieces to your wardrobe for spring, here are some great pieces for a casual, easy wardrobe. A few themes are animal print, texture, color and light layers.

Animal print is still going strong, and it’s easy to find on anything from sneakers to tops. I love finding non-traditional animal print colors and patterns, like this sweatshirt, too!

A classic tan trench coat is a must for any woman, and I really love a trench coat with a hood. A well-made, timeless trench coat is something that you can wear for years, and this coat from Target is a great option at a really affordable price point! Plus the hood is removable!

As much as I love a classic, neutral bag, it’s fun to add in a colorful option for spring and summer. I love this little Tory Burch bag I found at Nordstrom, but there are also so many classic clutches and crossbody bags at Target and Madewell right now.

My most worn shoes, perhaps of all-time, are these slip on sneakers by Vince (this is a very similar pair that I found on Amazon!). DSW sells a lot of very similar options, but I’m seeing sneakers with laces pop up more than ever. Since I’ve had such a positive experience with the quality of my Vince slip on’s, I got a pair of Vince sneakers with laces that I really love.

My favorite casual outfit for spring is a t-shirt and jeans with sneakers and delicate, understated jewelry. The right lipstick, hairstyle and shoes can take it from daytime to evening in no time, and the versatility and ease is right up my alley.

I’m currently browsing around for straight leg ankle denim that works with my figure. I really dislike the cropped boot cut trend, but I think I can find a straight leg shape that feels flattering and more relaxed than a skinny jean. I’m also seeing mules *everywhere* and while they aren’t my favorite style of shoe, I may try to find a few options that work! I much prefer a slingback to a mule, but I can see the appeal of a simple pointed toe mule for times you want an easy slip on shoe.

Is there anything you are looking forward to wearing in the spring?

P.S. A style choice that saves me time and money!

1. Posted February 25, 2020

Love the colour palette you’ve chosen for your spring wardrobe! Thanks for sharing! ❤️✨

2. Rena says
    Posted February 25, 2020

Oh, thanks for this helpful insight!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

3. Posted February 25, 2020

The temps are creeping up here in NYC as well, and I’m looking forward to the wardrobe swaps that come with it! I hear you on the cropped boot cut denim trend. I picked up a pair of wide-leg cropped chinos from Old Navy (very similar to the Everlane style), and have been loving them!

4. Kimberly A Cox says
    Posted February 25, 2020

Can you like the hobo with the longer strap you showed towards the end?

5. Posted February 25, 2020

I love this! I am excited to get some fun, soft florals. That will be so fun. Also, transitioning my spring pieces back into my wardrobe is something I’m looking froward to.

6. Posted February 25, 2020

Love the soft colors you chose!

Leanne | Classy Yet Trendy

7. Steph says
    Posted February 25, 2020

I really like the cropped bootcut jeans myself. Personally, I think that skinny jeans look good on only slim figures. I feel that a bootcut or straight jean looks better on most people. Much more flattering and balanced.

8. Jolly says
    Posted February 26, 2020

Loving your videos, Kate! Its super helpful to see the clothes move on a real body 🙂

Posted February 26, 2020

Thanks!

9. Rachel says
    Posted February 26, 2020

Still snowed under in Minnesota but counting down the days until a trip to Raleigh next month…can’t wait to visit Duke Gardens to see the flowers! For spring, I love 3/4 sleeve shirts and am eyeing some pink floral Rifle Paper Keds that make me smile. Talbots has a lot of straight leg jean options.

10. Emily Hanson says
    Posted February 26, 2020

Old Navy sells a power straight jean that is great (and inexpensive) and flattering on my curvier hips – bye bye skinny jeans!!

Posted February 26, 2020

You know what? You reminded me that I’ve bought that style from Old Navy before and really liked it! I need to check it out again!

11. Nicole Hansen says
    Posted February 26, 2020

I just love all your suggestions that you post! I am sure you have tried it but I LOVE the Perfect Vintage jeans from Madewell as a straight leg jean option. I learned about Madewell from you years ago. Thank you!😁

Posted February 26, 2020

I have 1 pair of those that are a little distressed that i love!

12. Krista Hunter says
    Posted February 27, 2020

I love the look of the Vince slip on, but it’s not in my budget right now. I was browsing Amazon and noticed CROCS have a VERY similar one!

13. Posted February 29, 2020

Loved your selection of the J Crew denim jeans, but a little pricey!

How about a little, comfy dress that you can just throw on to dress up or down to add to your spring/summer wardrobe?

14. Amanda says
    Posted March 7, 2020

Do you have a link to the gray top you’re wearing at the start of the video? Thanks!