How to Layer Earrings (and how not to!)

I’m warming up to the multiple earrings trend, are you? It took me a minute to get used to ear huggies and smaller, delicate earrings because I so often wear larger statement earrings, but I’ve found that layering a few favorites still gives you a statement earring look!

When it comes to wearing a few earrings in each ear, I typically try to work from biggest to smallest as I work up the ear.

The largest or longest earring goes in the first hole, closest to my face, and the earrings get smaller or I use studs to fill in the second and third holes in my ear. Sometimes, though, I skip the third hole altogether.

This has been my favorite combination lately:

First earring (similar), Second earring (similar)

When I wear a longer earring in the first hole, I typically reach for a stud to go next to it as you can see below.

First earring, Second earring

If the first earring is very simple, I like to pair a more statement earring in the second hole, like an ear crawler.

First earring, Second earring (similar)

When mixing and matching earrings together, I typically avoid anything with tassels or a statement earring that is larger than about 1.5 inches. I also never wear large studs in the second hole. Pictured below is an example of what not to do! See how sad I am?

If you are in the market for some new jewels, I’ve shared on stories that I’ve loved Rocksbox for trying new jewelry! I’ve been a subscriber for many months and would recommend checking it out if you want to try out new jewelry!

I would be remiss not to mention my sister’s jewelry shop and my mom’s as well!

You can also click on any of the images below to shop some of my personal favorites!

1. AA says
    Posted December 4, 2019

Love this post and the earrings you picked out!

2. Michele says
    Posted December 4, 2019

I’m too traumatized from seeing eveyine I high school (1996-2000) over piercing their entire ear. It was not a look for anyone. I was one of the few to only have one hole in each ear. I barely even remembered to put something in one set of holes, never mind multiple!

I have one pair of diamond studs that I wore almost all of the time, but since my son was born two years ago, I barely wear them because he noticed them and went to pull and that was it for earrings for me until very recently. This was not the case with my daughter. With the array of statement earrings you wear, have you had issues with any of your kids going to pull on them, or do you have fear that you’ll catch them in your diaper bag or something?

3. Posted December 5, 2019

I love the way you styled your earrings! Makes me want to pierce more areas of my ears now! ❤️✨

4. Kyly says
    Posted December 5, 2019

I love ear crawlers, but they always turn on me and point down after a while. Any tips on keeping them in place? Or did I just get duds? Thanks!

Posted December 6, 2019

Sometimes that happens to me. It depends on how flexible the post is allowing me to sort of “pinch” it together, you know what I mean?

5. Angela says
    Posted December 5, 2019

Gorgeous looks and great tips! I only have one hole to work with on each side, so I’ll need to invest in some clip-ons to do these!

Angela at Blush & Pearls

6. Irene says
    Posted December 5, 2019

Love your advice! Where are those cute (large) hoops in the last picture from?
    Thanks

Posted December 6, 2019

Gorjana!

7. Katty says
    Posted December 5, 2019

Love your sweater! Where is it from?

8. Ramona says
    Posted December 5, 2019

I swear you are aging in reverse Kate! This looks lovely on you! 🌸 you’ve inspired me

• Lauren says
      Posted December 6, 2019

It’s called photoshop, she is quite the pro at using it.

Posted December 6, 2019

Lauren, I’ve been doing this for almost 10 years so I’m not naive to a comment like this. I assure you if you were to look over my shoulder while I was working in photoshop you would not call me a pro. But again–I fully know that you left this comment to be rude and hateful.
        I will never, ever be able to understand why someone would voluntarily involve themself in something they don’t like or enjoy but it’s evident that we think differently about the world.
        Do not involve other readers, like Ramona, who was leaving a kind comment, with your unwelcome, untrue commentary. There are other places for that kind of discussion and I won’t allow it here.

9. Gina says
    Posted December 5, 2019

What lipstick are you wearing in this blog? Thanks.

Posted December 6, 2019

This is Bare Minerals Tutu!

10. Kristina says
    Posted December 5, 2019

I love Cupcake and Cashmere’s line of small delicate earrings!

11. Jody says
    Posted December 6, 2019

Thanks Kate. I used your hair tutorials back in 2014 and always thought they were the best. I couldn’t remember your name but found a link in my history email file from then—2014!! So happy you are still doing your work on the all important small things!! Jody. WIsconsin

12. Kate says
    Posted December 13, 2019

Thanks for sharing! They are all so cute!

-Kate