Tried and True Baby Favorites

I have exciting news to share! My sister Lauren is pregnant! I’m overjoyed for her and her husband Mike!

I have been reminded about all the research and planning I did when I was expecting my first child (who is now 6!) and I wanted to share some of my most loved and appreciated baby items for the past 6 years.

You can read about some of my favorite breastfeeding things here!

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve. Thirteen

The stroller and the baby monitor were the two items I focused the most on when I was pregnant with my first. Ultimately the baby monitor worked fine until the battery life took a strong dive south, and the range from the camera to the parent unit started to become glitchy. We have since replaced our monitor with a different brand but it’s also glitchy and the battery life is awful.

Our first stroller, though, was fantastic! We got the UppaBaby Cruz, which is a single stroller because we only had one little baby. If we had known we would get pregnant again when David was 5 months old, we would have just gotten the UppaBaby Vista in the first place! We loved the Cruz while we had it but upgraded to the Vista before Luke was born. The Vista has been our stroller for years now and it has been wonderful. You can see the multitude of configurations on their website!

With the boys, I used a lot of different burp cloths, and they were great, but with Emily, I used MatiMati burp cloths and really loved them. They are super thick and absorbent, and also so soft for the baby to lay on. They make bibs as well!

My favorite baby carrier, of all that I tried, is the Lille Baby mesh carrier that offers 6 different positions. I also have a deep love for the Solly Baby Wrap, which is where Luke lived for the first 9 months of his life or so. Lukie *loved* being carried and I *loved* carrying him in the Solly Wrap. Emily didn’t love the Solly so much which was disappointing for me, but the Lille baby worked for her for a bit!

For our high chair, we went cheap and I’m so glad we did. The $20 high chair from IKEA has served us very well. It breaks down easily with removable legs so it’s a breeze to toss in your trunk and bring to a friends’ house for dinner. It also doesn’t have a single bit of fabric (other than the straps!) so it’s very easy to clean. The tray does not come off easily so we do not remove it and simply clean the tray while it’s still attached.

I used a Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bag with the boys and really loved it, but the pattern was a little busier than I prefer these days. I like more of a simple leather diaper bag like this one from Freshly Picked. I will say though that Petunia Pickle Bottom has added a lot of beautiful, classic styles to their collection that are simple and chic.

I few things I never used was the “pee-pee teepee”, a wipe warmer, pacifier wipes, and shopping cart covers. For me, those were extra things that I just didn’t need for my kids.

P.S. If you liked this post, you may enjoy this one on a last-minute decision we made for Emily’s delivery!

In this post:

1. Posted December 3, 2019

These are cute! I love how all the items you picked out are so sleek and stylish as well! ❤️✨

2. Kendra says
    Posted December 3, 2019

We have the Ikea high chair and still love it at 2 years! @Yeahbabygoods makes stylish seat covers, placemats, and a foot rest attachment for very affordable prices as well!

3. Kaitlyn B says
    Posted December 3, 2019

All are great necessitates for when baby comes! I would love to know your favorite things to gift to an expecting mother!

Posted December 4, 2019

That would be a great follow up post, thanks for asking that question!

4. Mary C says
    Posted December 3, 2019

Love your list! MatiMati bandana bibs are fantastic as well. I have quite a few and my 8 month old wears one basically whenever he isn’t eating or sleeping. The drool faucet turned on at around 4 months and these have been great. They lay flat, don’t really get in his way while he’s playing and wash well (wash cold, dry low). They’ve held up great and are soft and absorbent. We were gifted pee pee tee pees and I never used them. I agree on the wipe warmer… we have one but I made a quick Target run for it when he was a couple weeks old at the suggestion of a friend. Once we started using warm wipes, he wasn’t nearly as fussy during diaper changes. I didn’t think I’d ever use one but it’s been nice.

Posted December 4, 2019

I had a kid that drooled until age 3! I wish I had these bibs back then!

5. Judy says
    Posted December 3, 2019

Monetizing your sister’s pregnancy is brilliant.

Posted December 4, 2019

My sister’s pregnancy is an event that is happening in my life. My website is, has been, and always will be a resource of suggestions, tips, advice, education, recommendations, etc based on my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with things. In this blog post, as written in the post itself, I shared that the items listed above are things I have tried and loved. Since my sister is now pregnant, I am reliving those memories of wondering what the best products are and what I actually need. I’m monetizing my personal recommendations.

Your comment is nonsensical.

• Loren says
        Posted December 4, 2019

Actually, kindly, it is an event that is happening in Lauren’s life. You really have nothing to do with the situation. But I agree with the above poster. Kudos for finding a way to make it about you, and gain some $ from it. 😊

Posted December 4, 2019

Becoming an aunt to my sisters child is an event in my life.

• Devin says
            Posted December 4, 2019

And it’s something you should be celebrating in private by putting Lauren first. Instead you’re using this as an opportunity to make money.

• Judy says
        Posted December 4, 2019

You generically announced your sister is pregnant with a post containing 12 affiliate links.

Take the compliment. You are brilliant.

Posted December 4, 2019

Judy, if this post was titled ” a pregnancy announcement ” and I mislead readers to think that is all that it was and surprised them with links + recommendations from baby items, I could see how the post may be confusing. I have literally written the post from my experience, named it accordingly, and shared *why* these items are top of mind again.
          Your comments are coming off snarky and rude.

I truly hope I’m misinterpreting your tone.

• Brynn says
            Posted December 4, 2019

If you aren’t making money off of HER pregnancy and only offering advice why not remove the affiliate links?

Posted December 4, 2019

Because the recommendation is MINE. It is not as if I asked her “what things do you like for a baby” then copied them all here and posted affiliate links. That would be monetizing *her* content.

These are my recommendations based on 6 years of my experience.

I don’t know how this is difficult to understand.

A life event trigged a memory of things I used when I had a baby. It’s truly as simple as that. Inventing a false narrative behind the intention and content of this post is a fruitless waste of time.

• Judy says
            Posted December 4, 2019

No, soy un gran admirador del capitalismo. Realmente creo que eres brillante! 🙂

• Susan says
      Posted December 4, 2019

Thanks for the great content Kate. Ignore the small-minded, jealous haters!

Posted December 4, 2019

Thanks for the support Susan!

6. Lauren says
    Posted December 3, 2019

Which of the upscale strollers you were given did you donate to charity? I can’t remember.

Posted December 4, 2019

I gave away the 4moms stroller.

• Michelle Hayes says
        Posted December 4, 2019

What charity did you give it to?

Posted December 4, 2019

There is an organization in my city called Christian Life Home and I gave it to them!

• Devin says
            Posted December 4, 2019

Ew. Major pro life organization looking to undermine women’s rights. 🙄

• Suzanne says
            Posted December 4, 2019

Yeah, no, that charity does not support babies, it supports pregnant girls. They need things like food, clothing, money, pantry items, toiletries…..I tried to donate a high chair and floor mat play set but was told they would be put to better use elsewhere. I find it hard to believe they would take an exorbitantly expensive item to send home with just one of the few girls who didn’t put their baby up for adoption.

7. Kathleen says
    Posted December 4, 2019

Would luv to have ideas for less expensive gifts to give for a new baby!

8. Dani says
    Posted December 4, 2019

I am glad you published this list! I am a soon-to-be-again mom, due around the same time as your sister. Our oldest son will be almost 6 when our second one is due. To be completely honest, I went back through your older blog posts from when you were pregnant with Emily. I am desperate to remember what all I needed (and didn’t need/use). I even went back through to research where you found maternity clothes, because I love your style. I appreciate your honestly in each blog post, even if it isn’t in your current season of life. I saw this blog post as a reminder to me and a helpful one to all expecting moms. Nothing better than getting advice from seasoned mothers.

Comments are closed.