I love that hair ties have changed so much since the simple plain black elastic that everyone seemed to use, or wear as a bracelet, back in the 90’s.
I use a hair tie anytime I’m working out, for function, but love the option to switch it up to something decorative if I’m styling my hair in a ponytail.
- Blax Snag-Free Hair Elastics. These are my absolute favorite clear elastics for the hair. They are thick, have a good amount of stretch but won’t snap in half. They hold the hair well, and slip out fairly easily as well. These can break the hair if they are ripped out, or pulled too tight, so use with care!
- A basic elastic hair tie. I found this particular tie in a pack of 25 at H&M, but you can find very similar ones at Target or any drugstore as well. These are great for working out as they hold the hair firmly but won’t cause breakage.
- Pretty hair ties. Madewell and Anthropologie always have pretty decorative hair ties that can quickly and easily dress up a simple ponytail.
- Bow hair ties. Another pretty, feminine option for a simple ponytail or would also look cute in a messy bun.
- Small silk hair scrunchie. I wear these to the gym because they hold my hair very well without causing any breakage. They are tight but the silk wrapped around the tie makes it slips out of the hair with ease.
- Large silk hair scrunchie. This is my go-to for when I put my hair on top of my head to sleep. It’s loose but still holds a ponytail up for me without causing bends or creases in the hair!
- Fabric elastics. I love the designs available from these simple fabric elastics. You can find a handful of options on Etsy!
Another great gentle hair tie option is one like this made from hosiery! Many also love using the teleties which resemble the cord on phones from back in the day, but I personally don’t love them for my hair.
Lastly, if you are into wearing a hair tie around your wrist, you may like something like this that makes it look more like a bracelet!