All about my haircut and style

I get asked about my haircut often, and while the cut is very, very important I think the way it’s styled is really the answer people may be looking for.

The cut is simply a slightly A-line cut, meaning it’s a bit longer in the front than the back, with long layering throughout the cut. My hair is a medium thickness with naturally straight, limp texture. Coloring it blonde helps add some volume and texture, and the products I used help a lot with that as well.

I’ve been using Aquage Uplifting Foam for over 10 years. It’s a root lifting spray that goes directly at your roots to help boost volume! Over the years I’ve used different volumizing sprays or products mid-shaft through the ends, but I always come back to Aquage Uplifting Foam.

Likewise, I’ll use different texture sprays over time and one that I’ve truly loved the longest is Amika Un.Done Texture spray. It adds a nice grit and gives definition to the hair, whether curled or straight.

The hairspray I’ve been using for over 15 YEARS is Kenra Volume 25. It’s a strong hold but doesn’t feel heavy on the hair. It holds up fairly well in humidity and can be layered if you need more hold. It was the one product I did NOT want to be without when I did bridal hair when I worked as a hairstylist.

In these photos I used all three products I mentioned above, blew it dry with the T3 Cura blow dryer, and then styled with a 1.25 inch babyliss curling iron.

As much as I want to be a long hair girl, a mid-length like this is really my sweet spot. It’s short enough that it’s quick to style and easy to get lots of movement and volume, but still long enough to pull out of my face if I need to!

You can see photos of my haircut styled straight on this post!

1. Posted July 23, 2018

I really like your mid-length cut, and the colour is beautiful! I get so tempted to cut my hair too, but I always feel I’m going to regret it!

• Lainee says
      Posted July 25, 2018

Kate , I have been considering all over color as I am starting to see a little gray coming through . I love your color! Is it highlights or all over color? I also like the dark underneath. I don’t want it too blonde which is why yours is what I am looking for! Scared to take the plunge for all over . Could you please share your colors you use? Thank you!

2. Posted July 23, 2018

I’ve always loved your hairstyle! Thanks for the insider knowledge on how you cut and style it. Like you, I’m a medium-length gal. I’ve tried growing my hair out but get frustrated when it gets past my shoulders.

3. Traci says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Your hair always looks so good! Any tips for how your curl your hair?

Posted July 23, 2018

Check my hair tutorial gallery for a bunch of tutorial videos!

4. Jessica says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Would this be a good cut for curly hair? I always get the same cut because I’m scared of messing up my curls!

• Kim says
      Posted July 23, 2018

I want to know this too! Most days I blow mine straight.

• Megan says
      Posted July 24, 2018

I have thick, naturally wavy/curly hair, and I have a similar cut. I think it looks good straight or curly! The only change I made is that I have more layering in the back/texture throughout to help it not look like a pyramid-shape when it’s curly. I hope that makes sense!

5. Julia says
    Posted July 23, 2018

I started using the Aquage root lift and I love it. I’m a old hair dresser myself and you’ve really helped me find some new products. Thanks for all your tips, videos and for being yourself!

6. Erin says
    Posted July 23, 2018

How would you describe your color? I always get horrible straight line growth, yours always seems to grow out beautiful!

• Erika says

Great question!!

Posted July 23, 2018

It’s just highlighted blonde with lightener. I do it myself 🙂 Again, I suggest bringing in a photo to your stylist and explain what kind of maintenance you are looking for 🙂

7. Kerry says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Thank you so much !! The baby bliss 1.25 does it have a clip or no clip as an iron? Any tips on how to curl your hair? I love how your curls are perfect but not too curly 🙂 Agsin thank you Kate💕👍🏼

Posted July 23, 2018

I prefer a clamp on the iron!

• Kerry says

8. Allie says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Your hair always look so on point! I agree on the midi length – I grew my hair really long for my wedding and it was just so. Much. Work. Here’s to shoulder length hair! Haha
    Happy Monday! xAllie

9. Angela says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Love this look! I have a similar cut but haven’t had the time to style my hair this way in ages. You’ve inspired me to carve out some time to do it this week, since I really love this piecey, wavy look.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

10. Danita says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Can you show a picture of the back NOT curled sometime? That would be so helpful! Thanks

• Megan says
      Posted July 24, 2018

The link at the bottom of the blog post has a picture of the back of her hair when it’s straight!

11. Jade says
    Posted July 23, 2018

When using the Uplifting Foam, do you need to blow dry after? I typically have a pretty simple hair routine and I don’t really blow dry my hair. I just air dry and luckily it dries straight and really not too frizzy.

Posted July 23, 2018

Yes for maximum effectiveness!

12. Diana L. says

Hi Kate!
    Your hair is gorgeous! Love the length too. I’ve been using the Aquage uplifting foam for years now and love it Thanks to you! Question about the T3 blow dryer that you use…. does it come with a temp setting? I know some dryers come with a cold, med., and hot settings. I typically use mine on the medium setting. I heard it’s not good to use the hottest setting. From a hairstylist what are your thoughts? I’ve been wanting to splurge on a hairdryer and have been checking out the T3 Cura, but wasn’t sure on the heat settings.
    Thanks,
    Diana L.

Posted July 23, 2018

YEs it does have heat settings and you are doing the right thing by blowing dry on medium!

13. Michele says
    Posted July 23, 2018

I used the Aquage after getting your epitomous “bouncy curled under” and really liked it at first. However, as my hair grew, it became less and less effective at achieving volume. As soon as it was even relatively close to my collarbone, it no longer gave me lift. My hair is similar in texture to yours, so I doubt it’s too thick or heavy to hold product. Have you found this to be true for you?

14. Noelle says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Your hair always looks amazing! Does the Kenra hairspray still fight frizz when styling your hair straight?

Noelle

15. Megan says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Thanks for all the tips and advice! I love how practical and straightforward your blog is at explaining things. Would you ever consider doing a post/insta story on styling hair that’s not color treated? I feel like it’s a different beast to work with. But maybe I’m just wrong and inexperienced. Or maybe I’m just the only 30 year old in this boat. 😣 Also, if you have some tips on styling hair thin vs thick, course vs fine, that might be an interesting blog post as well. Just some thoughts from a girl looking for some help from someone who’s got much more experience in this area! Thanks again!

• Michele says
      Posted July 23, 2018

You’re not the only 30 something in this boat! I don’t have colored hair, either (mostly because I know myself and the second I saw a I,meter of root I would need t9 have them touched up, lol).

16. Julie says
    Posted July 23, 2018

I love the Aquage Uplifting foam. I bought it with your recommendation back in the spring and it has made a huge difference! I also just bought the Amika Un.Done Texture spray and love that, too! Thank you so much for all your tips. I’ve been loving my results!

17. Beth says
    Posted July 23, 2018

I have fine hair and a medium amount of it but I can never achieve volume like you. Would you recommend clip-in extensions or…..? Thanks for being awesome!

18. Kacie says
    Posted July 23, 2018

I have a cut/color scheduled for next week and am debating going back to a midlength cut. It’s not much longer than yours now, but know getting at least 1.5″ taken off will DO so much. When it gets longer, I feel it gets weighed down and doesn’t keep volume. I’d love to try long again, but a length around my shoulders (when curled) seems to work better. It also doesn’t help when my hair won’t part anywhere… #firstworldproblems. Love your posts about your cut; it’s definitely one I bring to my stylist often to copy!

19. Ashlie says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Your hair is soo gorgeous! Whenever I read your posts I always get serious hair envy. I really need to learn how to curl my hair properly like that, mine never ends up looking like yours! Thank you for the fab product reccomendations x

20. Laura says
    Posted July 23, 2018

Which of your curling tutorials would you say you used for this style? There are so many!

21. Posted July 24, 2018

Oh, it looks wonderful on you! You look very chic! xoxo

22. Kimberly says
    Posted July 24, 2018

I have had the same style for over 20 years, and have decided for my 45th birthday, it’s time for an update! You had mentioned Jordan at Douglas Carroll , and I just want to know if you still recommend him for a new haircut? My sister and her family are in the area, and I thought next time I come visit, I’d schedule an appointment with him for a new hairstyle. Your thoughts please?

23. Jamie says
    Posted August 9, 2018

Hi Kate,

Love all your hair, makeup and style suggestions. I’ve been following your video’s for years! I have a big wedding in France to attend in a September and have started my prep! Quick question for you:

I recently purchased the Kendra 25 hairspray (LOVE IT) and the Aquage Foam. I’ve tried applying the foam twice now and it seems to make my hair really greasy at the roots- right at my part mostly. I have lots of very fine medium length blond hair. What am I doing wrong? Is there any tricks to applying the product?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I also recently just bought the NARS orgasmic liquid blush from the golden video- amazing!

24. Debbi says
    Posted August 24, 2018

I love your hair color! I have had mine highlighted for years, but want to change the tone to be a bit more ash/neutral blonde like yours (I have more golden blonde). Do you use a toner after highlighting? If so, what color?

25. Susan B Yerkes says
    Posted August 29, 2018

what product do you colour your hair with ? My stylist can’t quite get the colour right – my hair ends up golden blonde – I want your colour what is your recipe ? my normal colour is a dark blonde – I would say dull dish water
    I

26. Posted September 21, 2018

Thank you! I’ve been showing pictures to my stylist for several appointments now, and I’ve never felt like it was right, but I was able to talk to her about it this time because of this post and I really love the cut this time! Yay! So happy with it, thank you!

27. Vicki Bucy says
    Posted October 5, 2018

I don’t think anyone has commented on your pretty hair clip. Can you give me some info regarding where you purchased? Is there a french clip on the back?

Thanks so much. You are always so helpful when I ask a question. I recently cut my hair to a little longer than shoulder length. I love it so much and as a 60ish woman, it helps my hair look fuller and more trendy than just a single length down to my mid-back. LOL I’m going to order some of that foam and uplifting texture spray TODAY.

28. Sara Mansfield says
    Posted December 5, 2018

Do you use a certain heat protecting spray?