Giving purpose to an otherwise overlooked wall

SAMSUNG CSC

There was this little wall at the top of the stairs that became a “catch all” area. It was where laundry baskets, the vacuum, and other toys just collected so they were out of the direct walking/running distance of the boys.

I never really thought about it until one day a few weeks ago when I thought it could be fun to create a little gallery wall on it.

I started looking for a bench, some throw pillows, and gathered up some empty picture frames I had in storage. I found pretty quickly that the wall is *just* short enough that a standard, or common, bench length was just a hair too long.

So I started looking within my own house for something to repurpose and was very happy to give this cabinet a new location on the wall! It was first purchased for David’s nursery at our other house, and before being here it was in Luke’s room at our current place. I never stored toys or books in it in Luke’s room, mostly because all the toys and books are now in the play room, so it was essentially just acting like a table.

When I drug it out and placed it on this wall, I knew it was perfect. It was a bright color in a completely neutral and empty hallway, and the neutral frames and decor paired perfectly with it.

SAMSUNG CSC

And most importantly? It’s nearly impossible to just pile a bunch of stuff in this corner since it has a purpose now!

More peeks into our home: my work space and my office closet!

1. Michele says
    Posted August 1, 2016

I love repurposing! Shopping in my house is the best! Bonus love if that repurposing necessitates a trip to Hobby Lobby for something to freshen it up (new knobs, decor, extra)

Those photo choices are adorable! We are having my one year olds first year pics taken next weekend by a college student studying photography and I’m hoping they yield some similar shots!

Question about Loft jeans, as I’ve joined you in my enjoyment of that store: do they stretch a lot? I bought 2 sizes and don’t know which to keep. I’ve been having the problem of jeans stretching and having cowboy sag, and by then I’ve washed them and can’t return them. I like both sizes on me, but worry that I’ll have the sag. Being new to Loft, I was hoping you could help me (or one of the other readers, who I’ll refer to as Kate-iacs like me!)

2. Allison says
    Posted August 1, 2016

So cute! I’ve been itching to “redecorate”/”repurpose” spaces in my home, too!

3. Posted August 1, 2016

So sweet! I have that blue hutch!

4. Karly says

Looks great!!

5. Alyssa says
    Posted August 1, 2016

This is such a cute little spot. I just love the cabinet!

6. Tammy says
    Posted August 1, 2016

So very cute ! Love repurposing !

7. Heather says
    Posted August 1, 2016

Looks cute! What color is your paint?

• Stacy says
      Posted August 1, 2016

Would also love to know!

• Autumn says
        Posted August 1, 2016

Amazing Gray. It’s a Sherwin Williams color but Lowes sells it also. It’s an old color so you have to ask for it. Most of my house has this color, too. I had to buy touch up paint and searched long enough for it that I wrote down the number just incase I needed it again. It’s 7044 at Lowes. Lol.

• Stacy says
          Posted August 2, 2016

Haha, thanks Autumn!

8. Posted August 1, 2016

That little cabinet is so cute, it would be perfect for an awkward little space I’m trying to fill in my house!

Kristina does the Internets

9. nikki says
    Posted August 1, 2016

So cute!!! Where did you find your white frame?

Nikki

10. Debbie m says
    Posted August 1, 2016

That looks great. I love the color of the cabinet. FYI the leg looks a little bent.

11. Posted August 1, 2016

I love how this turned out! Great inspiration for a simple gallery wall.

12. Ariadna says
    Posted August 1, 2016

That little hutch is so cute!! Great job!

13. Heather says
    Posted August 1, 2016

I have this cabinet & have it used very similarly in my house! I never thought about putting baskets in it though…but I am now!

14. Leticia Justus says
    Posted August 1, 2016

ooooh I need to do this in the little space that I am presently storing my vacuum. Its down a main hallway of the house and it’s not very attractive to see a vacuum when instead I could do something like this ! I already have my children’s chore list/cork board hanging on the wall above . This would be such a better and more pretty command center .I think I will use a butter yellow, metal lattice table that I already have. It’s tall and skinny like your cute blue sideboard. Thanks for the inspiration Kate !

15. Jaclyn EC says

Love this love you

16. Andrea says
    Posted August 1, 2016

So bright and beautiful! I love the pictures you chose to hang up. I was just saying how I always let my frames pile up because I get confused on what photos to place in them. It’s time to take a day and put everything up!

17. Meagan says
    Posted August 1, 2016

Very cute! I have that cabinet in red and it is so great!
    -Meg

18. Evelyn says
    Posted August 1, 2016

OMG it’s perfect! I love it!

19. Marie says
    Posted August 2, 2016

Love what you’ve done with it! Such a cute and quirky spot. I think things like this is what turns a house into a home, ya know? Thanks for sharing – it’s inspired me to revamp some of my own spaces! 🙂

http://makemeupmarie.com/ xoxo

20. Meredith says
    Posted August 2, 2016

Love this space! Where did you get the baskets at? I have the same teal piece and need baskets to fit!

21. Posted August 4, 2016

Love the decor post. I have a huge wall in my home that I’m slowly filling with pictures. Makes it inviting, I think.

22. Irene says
    Posted May 25, 2020

Where did u get ur letter B please cool wall