5 Ways I (attempt to) Manage the Crazy
this photo of Grits just cracked me up and felt appropriate for this post.
I’m in a supremely busy season of life. I like it this way, for the most part, and would call myself a high-capacity person. But, with anything, there are certain times I wish it was a little slower.
But as I write that I look back on my afternoon yesterday with the boys that involved dropping off books to be returned to the library, wandering the street under construction and marveling at the “diggr” and “up” (thats the bucket truck), and “dunt truh” (dump truck). We then stopped by the grocery store and headed home to play with our neighbors until dinner time. Then we played inside, we danced, and it was bath + bedtime.
Luke loves the bath. He LOVES the bath. You’ve never seen a baby splash with more delight than my Luke. He can be fussing and annoyed in the playroom, but strip him down and throw him in the bath? All is right in the world. And David is getting to be really funny. He was biting shapes into his graham cracker tonight making diggers and tow trucks and dump trucks. It’s so fun to see him learning everything, and so fast! He picks up on things I don’t even realize. I’ve gotten so many videos of him lately just doing the funniest little things and I end up just laying in bed and watching them at the end of the night after everyone is asleep!
Anyway, I just had to gush there for a minute! So I’m in this busy season, and I’m looking at these next 7 weeks before the end of the year. Justin and I have something going on just about every single weekend, not including holidays, and the some weeks have a few things happening on weeknights as well.
Getting sick on Sunday really threw me. I’m still not 100% back to normal. I’m very tired and don’t have an appetite yet. I’m sure I’ll be better soon, but losing these few days that were supposed to be very specifically used for work-related to do’s has spun me into this haze of “how am I going to get it all done?!?!”
I will get it done, I know, and despite the looming to do list, I wouldn’t trade an easy afternoon with my boys for any check mark next to a task.
But I thought through a few things that can simplify the next several weeks to help me enjoy the season and not become overwhelmed.
- Do my Christmas shopping online. Honestly, with Amazon Prime, there is barely a need to leave the house anymore! And so many online retailers are offering free shipping and returns that it’s becoming more of a hassle to actually leave the house and “enjoy” the shopping experience.
- Utilize the Crockpot. I love to cook and bake. I barely have time, or take the time, to do either these days. It’s just a season, I know, so I really need to up my Crockpot game so we don’t have too many nights of hotdogs and grilled cheese sandwiches!
- Protect the days that currently do not have events. I love doing things so I’m always game for filling up our schedule, much more than Justin, but I want to be sure that we still have a great deal of normal days in these next few weeks. I love our normal days.
- Figure out a To Do List structure that works. I can’t decide if I’m a paper to do list kinda gal, or an app gal, but once I figure it out I’ll be sure to tell you the best option (in my opinion). I use iCal for all my monthly to do’s, but I’d love to find something to use somewhat daily for my ongoing to do’s!
- Set realistic goals for what you want to accomplish. I have big plans for organizing my beauty stuff, and blogging about it, as well as sorting through my closet and finishing a few rooms on the house, but those cannot all happen at the same time. So I plan to set time goals for when I want each accomplished, both start and end times. If I don’t declare a start time, I’ll feel this self imposed pressure to start whenever I have a free minute.
Are you excitedly anticipating these next seven weeks before New Years, or nervously awaiting the madness that is about to ensue? I hope it’s the former.
I’d really love to hear tips you have for managing a busy schedule, specifically to do list apps that you really love!