Scalp Care Products

As someone with ridiculously dry skin AND psoriasis on my scalp, I’m happy to be nudging you a bit on today’s post to pay a little attention to your scalp.

I’m not one that goes a few days between washing my hair. I usually don’t go more than 2 days, but a lot of that is due to the nature of my job. If you are able to go a day or two, do it! It’s good for your hair and good for your scalp.

But here’s the thing: whether you are in need of removing build up, or simply need to slough off dead skin, your scalp can likely use a little love.

There are a few great new products on the market that do just that for you. I’m so intrigued by the tool (#5 on the graphic!) to help slough off dead skin!

one. two. three. four. five. six. seven.

I’d try one of these out in an evening and perhaps double up on the hair love by adding a mask to the ends of your hair while the scalp exfoliator does it’s thing! And if you have trouble with your hair feeling a little oily at the root area, don’t hesitate to use a gentle clarifying shampoo like this one!

P.S. Looking for more ways to care for your hair? This post has some and they are all free!

In this post:

1. Posted October 29, 2018

Ooh, definitely trying the clarifying shampoo trick! It’ll be a good product for my hair since I wash it once every three to four days! 🙂

2. Eva says
    Posted October 29, 2018

I always feel like I need a scalp exfoliant but I’ve never tried one! Will definitely have to pick up that Ouai – I’ve heard so much about their products!

Eva | http://www.shessobright.com

3. Angela says
    Posted October 29, 2018

Scalp care is actually something I want to get into – there are so many products out there just for the scalp, so it’s probably time I start taking care of mine.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

4. Erin says
    Posted October 29, 2018

I remember you posted a while back about using Head and Shoulders to help your scalp. I was just curious if you still use it….

5. Megan says
    Posted October 29, 2018

Have you used any of these? My scalp always needs love.

6. Kate says
    Posted October 29, 2018

I just bought #3 from the Sephora VIB Sale. I’m so excited to try it out as my scalp has been in some desperate need of some love! I might have to add some these other ones to my list as well.

7. Denise says
    Posted October 29, 2018

I’ve been loving the Amika Reset Pink Charcoal Scalp Cleansing Oil. If it wasn’t for my scalp revolting, I could go 4 or 5 days between washes. This product helps me tremendously!

8. Brooke says
    Posted October 29, 2018

I have a scalp brush similar to #5. Game changer! I shampoo, brush my scalp, then rinse. So many less flakes and general itchiness 🙂

9. Deb Gritter says
    Posted October 29, 2018

Would love to hear more about how you manage the psoriasis on your scalp. Also the link for the scalp tool (#5) isn’t working.

10. Jennifer says
    Posted October 29, 2018

I have followed your blog for years, as well as your insta!! I love all your hair and beauty tips. You have taught me what my momma couldn’t! I never knew that you have psorasis on your scalp.. after giving birth to my twins the psorasis on my scalp has been in a constant flare, which has left me with some damage to my hair. I would love some more tips on how you manage your hair! Ill be testing some of these products as well!

My stylist had previously informed me that coloring my hair may not be a good option for me due to irritation to my scalp. I’m curious what your experience has been?

11. Jenn says
    Posted October 30, 2018

I’m going to have to look into these products. My scalp psoriasis has gotten worse in the past year and with brown hair you can see my flakes very noticeably. I would love for you to do more post on this.

12. Nadine says
    Posted October 30, 2018

My son has psoriasis on his head, and those of you with psoriasis should see a dermatologist for treatment.

• Tabitha says
      Posted November 19, 2018

I’ve seen my share of dermatologists for scalp psoriasis, to only end up with expensive scripts for harsh meds that didn’t work. I even went as far as to have steroid injections in the worst areas in hopes of clearance, but ended up with hair loss instead…baby butt smooth hair loss. 🙁 The hair loss was atypical from what I was told, but that was my experience. It’s such a frustrating condition, so I’m grateful for any product recs that may help. I do have darker hair, so I feel the pain others deal with in regards to “snow” in hair and black shirt dusting…ugh! I also have color treated hair…can you feel the burn? I know it’s not the wisest thing to get chemical treatments with inflamed skin, but it’s never not inflamed. So, yes I’m like the others…I’d love to see more info on scalp issues.

13. Cathy says
    Posted October 30, 2018

I would love to hear more about how you manage your scalp psoriasis. I, too, have psoriasis on my scalp and it gets worse in the winter months. It’s embarrassing to wear dark colors as the flakes really show up. I recently heard that wearing your hair shorter helps with the condition, is this true? Thanks so much for any input you may have. It’s good to now that there are others battling it as well!

14. McCall says
    Posted November 1, 2018

My husband came home with the scalp tool a few months ago, and I rolled my eyes at yet another “gadget” in the house. However, I’ve actually enjoyed using it to massage my scalp while shampooing! It has a vibrate feature that’s soothing and stimulating to my scalp at the same time. I use the tool more than he does now!

15. Becky says
    Posted November 2, 2018

I have scalp psoriasis and while it is no where near extreme it drives me insane. Sometimes it feels bruised to the touch. I literally am uncomfortable in my own skin. I have a liquid steroid that I use when desperate.
    Last year I started using almond oil on my scalp prior to shower then combing out any flakes. It really helped the steroid seep in. But I hate using medicine and totally dread the idea of using an oral prescription.
    This week I have been researching like mad to find alternatives. I literally just ordered the scalp brush then saw it posted here!
    I considered hemp oil but haven’t gone that route. People rave about it.
    I bought the charcoal shampoo on your recommendation and love love love it!!!! Thank you for discussing this I dont feel so isolated. I often need to bring my own shampoo to hair appts and feel totally high maintenance. But a flare up is just not worth it