Cold Caprese Pasta Salad for a Summertime Barbecue

This post is sponsored by ALDI.

Justin and I really enjoy entertaining. I grew up watching my mom throw parties throughout the years, and have come to really love doing the same in my home.

With a backyard pool, our favorite time to have friends over is in the summer. We usually try to keep the food pretty simple, but still delicious, and let people swim for however long they want to until they grab their plate and sit down to eat.

We had plans with some friends the other night, so I headed over to ALDI to pick up all the ingredients I needed for dinner.

If you’ve either been to ALDI or read my other posts you should know that their prices are fantastic. And since I’ve been shopping at ALDI, I now have a few favorites that I get every single time I go, like the Specially Selected Aged Reserved White Cheddar. There is none better, consider yourself warned.

For this recent shopping trip, I grabbed everything from the SimplyNature Organic 100% Grass Fed Ground Beef to the watermelon and raspberries. I needed fresh mozzarella for the pasta salad and picked up two different containers, Priano Fresh Mozzarella in water and another Priano Fresh Mozzarella in Marinade. I added both to the salad, but kept a few extra pieces of the Priano Fresh Mozzarella in Marinade to eat for the rest of the week.

ALDI also has some extras that I needed for entertaining as well, like grilling tools and other seasonal items for summertime!

Cold Caprese Pasta Salad

25 Minutes Prep Time, serves 6-8

Basil Dressing:

2 teaspoons minced garlic

3 oz fresh basil, sliced into thin strips

3/4 cup Carlini Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 teaspoon Kosher salt

For the Pasta Salad:

1 pound Priano Pipe Rigate pasta, cooked al dente (about 11-13 minutes)

1 pint Redsun Organic Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half or quarters

1/8 cup thinly sliced red onion

10 oz Priano Fresh Mozzarella in Water, sliced in half

Cook the pasta until it’s al dente, then set aside to cool. While the pasta is boiling, slice up cheese, tomatoes, onion, and basil. Once pasta is cool, toss all the ingredients together then top with the Basil Dressing. Allow pasta salad to sit for 10-15 minutes so the flavor can develop. An optional step would be to top the salad with Specially Selected Balsamic Vinegar.

I love the combination of flavors in this pasta salad, and it’s the perfect summer dish because it’s cold! You could also make this a full meal in itself by adding grilled chicken to it!

Usually while I’m inside cooking, Justin’s out at the grill. He happened to master flipping a burger in the air this evening and was pretty pleased that it was caught on camera!

With the Fourth of July coming soon, make sure you save this recipe to make for any entertaining you’ll be doing. And while you are at ALDI picking out the ingredients, be sure to check out the fresh produce and bakery section. The Village Bakery Apple Fritters are dangerously good.

1. Posted June 27, 2018

It’s been so long since I’ve had pasta salad, since I’m trying to cut down on my carbs. But mmm, this looks so good – might have to make an exception! 🙂

2. Laura says
    Posted June 27, 2018

Looks great! I think I will make this next week when I’m at the beach with family. Thanks for sharing!

3. Rachel says
    Posted June 27, 2018

Looks delicious! Do you have a favorite ALDI in the triangle? I haven’t found one that I love.

Posted June 27, 2018

I love the one in Fuquay Varina!

• Rachel says
        Posted June 28, 2018

Thanks so much!

• Melanie S. says
          Posted June 29, 2018

I was going to ask the same thing. I’ve never had an Aldi’s where I’ve lived and now that we are in HS, I’ve been to that one before but don’t know what’s “good.” These posts make me want to try going more.

4. Samantha says
    Posted June 27, 2018

Looks Delicious! I love ALDI! I also love your shirt 🙂

5. Blakley says
    Posted June 27, 2018

LOVE when you share recipes Kate! Aldi has the best deals, please keep the recipes coming! I just saw that lemonade when I was there earlier this week and almost grabbed it. I’ll definitely be making this salad and trying the lemonade.

6. Olivia says
    Posted June 27, 2018

perfect summer bbq meal. Yum yum yum!!!

7. Eva says
    Posted June 27, 2018

This looks so delicious!! A lovely and quick meal 🙂

Eva | http://www.shessobright.com

8. Michele says
    Posted June 27, 2018

I’ll be honest, Sponsored content on any blog doesn’t usually excite me, but for ALDI, I’ll make an exception! I actually keep a single “Aldi quarter” in the cup holder of my car, just in case I need to make a pit stop and need a cart! Their brands and prices can’t be beat (I just scored a dozen eggs for $0.69! So naturally, I needed 4 dozen eggs…thank goodness my little one loves them,). Love when you share new recipes!

Disclaimer: I totally get and am grateful that sponsored posts allow you to keep doing what you love doing and what we love you doing…even though I don’t think I’ll ever master a messy bun!

9. Angela says
    Posted June 28, 2018

Your post is making me so hungry! That pasta salad looks so good…

Angela at Blush & Pearls

10. Melissa says
    Posted June 28, 2018

Your posts about Aldi’s make me wish that there was one closer to my house. The closest one is like 3 hrs from my house and the includes Raleigh traffic. If you haven’t figured out I live in NC also. The store that I go to is 2 blocks away. Could you tell me where your apron is from because I am looking for a new one? Thanks, I love reading your blog.

11. Posted June 29, 2018

Yum! I love BBQ dinner nights with friends – they don’t need to be complicated, which is one of the best parts of entertaining in the summer. 🙂

12. Elizabeth says
    Posted July 10, 2018

I made this tonight it was delicious!!! I only used the marinated cheese bc I didn’t see the plain and also added balsamic glaze at the end! I’ve tried a handful of your recipes and they’ve all been winners!!! Thanks for sharing!