How to flat iron your hair for a soft, volumized look

Remember back in 2011 when I filmed a tutorial in which I looked like I was physically suffering (because I was. . . I was so scared to film videos when I started) but I showed how I used Aquage Uplifting Foam and flat ironed my hair?

Well I can’t even watch it anymore because it’s so bad, so I made a new version for you!

In this tutorial I’m using Aquage Uplifting Foam for volume at my roots, L’Oreal Blow Dry Primer to help smooth out my hair while it dries and also cut a bit of blow dry time, and Amika UnDone Texture Spray for texture and fullness after it’s styled. To finish I applied a bit of Kenra Volume 25 hairspray. The tools I used are the T3 PROi blow dryer (here is a budget option!) and the GHD 1 inch Classic flat iron. Oh and my comb is this Cricket comb!

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

In this post:

1. Ashley says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Best typo ever! “to help smooth out my hair while it dies”
    Thank you SO much for the early morning laugh! I needed that 🙂

well you’re welcome 🙂

2. Posted October 25, 2017

Thank you for this! I have straight/wavy hair, but it always hangs limp especially at the roots. Dunno if I’ll have time in the morning to volumise it like you (I’m always in a rush lol), but for the weekends, I’ll definitely be doing this! 🙂

3. Gwen says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Lol….I watched your old flat iron video a few days ago and found it super helpful as usual…..Thanks for doing an even better one today. I enjoy your blog soooo much.

4. Ann Rourke says
    Posted October 25, 2017

What lip color are you wearing? It’s very pretty.

• Samantha says
      Posted October 29, 2017

Yes, I came to ask the same thing!

• Dawn says
        Posted October 29, 2017

Me too! Pretty please? Oh, by the way, great tutorial!

5. Sherry says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Thank you so much for the update!

6. D says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Great tutorial! Very helpful!!

7. Ashley Beth says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Sooooo helpful! I loved seeing how much Aquage you applied. I’ve been using about 1/6 of that and have been so confused why it doesn’t work as well as yours! Now I know! Beautiful style, as always. Thanks!

8. Karly says
    Posted October 25, 2017

As long as I’ve followed you, I have yet to try the Aquage Foam. I think its time. Awesome Video! Oh and I swear by the L’Oreal Blow Dry Spray, its AMAZING!!!

9. Anne says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Kate, thank you for the new video! Lately I am really loving hair like this. I think the style looks very nice on you!

10. Julia says
    Posted October 25, 2017

I loved this!!! This was like a “vintage kate” tutorial!

11. Allie says
    Posted October 25, 2017

I love your videos!! Thank you for taking the time to redo this one! xxAllie http://www.theallthatglittersblog.com

12. calie says
    Posted October 25, 2017

I LOVE the blow dry primer! I think it helps so much; I have thick hair and this has cut my drying time. I also use Kenra and Aquage; I’ll have to try the texture spray some time! I LOVE your tutorials, they have helped me so much!

13. Kait says

YES!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

14. Laura says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Legit this is my dream hair!

15. Tori says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Do you use a dry shampoo the next day? Also, could a dry shampoo be used in place of the texture spray (if you don’t have it)? TIA Ive been an aquage user since the1000+yrs when you had your first video lol

16. Kim says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Ahh thank you for this! I love your hair tutorials and I love a soft, sleek look.

Kim

http://trendkeeper.me .. buying the best leggings!

17. Christin says
    Posted October 25, 2017

If your flat iron has the adjustable temperature what degree would you recommend setting it on? Thank you!

18. Chrissie says
    Posted October 25, 2017

My flat iron has a heat setting, my hair is thick, but fine, any recommendations on what I should set the temperature? Also, I loved your first tutorial,
    you and Aquage changed my hair world!

19. Sherry says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Can you tell me the difference between the Amika you used and Living Proof Full Dry Volume Blast?

20. Kristina Gibson says
    Posted October 25, 2017

I love wearing my hair straight, however, it’s very thick and smooth. It’s past my shoulders, but I don’t be have many layers, so it’s incredibly thick and fluffy at the ends. I was wondering fin out have any tips on how to ask for layers that are longer but will still give me smooth ends so I don’t have a triangle-shaped hairdo.

• Kristina Gibson says
      Posted October 25, 2017

Also, because it’s so thick, it’s really flat on top. Even when I use the aquage uplifting foam, it has a very minuscule change.

• Michelle says
      Posted October 28, 2017

You could ask your stylist for long layers. It would also be helpful for you to find a picture of hair with layers like what you are talking about and take that to show your stylist.

• Darlene says
      Posted November 17, 2017

yes…very nice colour… would like to know as well ….

21. Posted October 25, 2017

I really like your haircut. How is it cut and does it have layers. I would love bring a picture to my hair stylist. Currently my hair is straight and all one length. Thank you for your video.

• Mindy says
      Posted October 25, 2017

Yes! Ditto to this. Your layers are perfect!

22. Beth says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Thank you. I am going to try your tips because my hair tends to look flat and feels too silky on days that I straighten it. I think mine may be similar to yours in thickness and texture. I also use a root booster, but have not been using enough. So I’m going to give it a few extra pumps next time to see if I can tell a difference. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

23. Lori says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Thanks for the tutorial! I have thick, heavy and frizzy hair. Would I still use all of the same styling products? My hair will go flat because it’s heavy. I’m trying to minimize my products, and buy more economical ones. I always appreciate the items I can get at Walmart 🙂 Thanks for any “cheapskate” tricks!

• Leigh says
      Posted October 25, 2017

Avoid using any products with silicone, it weighs down the hair 🙂

24. Kate Taylor says
    Posted October 25, 2017

I have a deep fondness for your old videos, but I’m excited to watch this new one! I can always get better at doing my hair and your tips and tricks are always helpful. xoxo

25. Gigi says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Lately, I rarely wear my curly hair straight (so.much.effort!), but this will help when I do!

26. Lynn says
    Posted October 25, 2017

This is the Kate I love. Helpful tips, hair and makeup. Thank you!

27. Lindsay says
    Posted October 25, 2017

I’m glad you posed this – I want my hair to curl but it JUST DOESN’T. I need to learn to love the hair my momma gave me I guess!

28. Kelly says
    Posted October 25, 2017

I use the It’s A 10 spray after I wash and before I blow dry. Should I skip this and use the primer spray?

29. Tricia from Pittsburgh says
    Posted October 25, 2017

This is the same tip I posted on your other video about getting volume with a flat iron. It has helped my hair a lot so I wanted to post again in the hopes of helping others. Where you used your hand to hold your hair up after the pass through, I use my hairspray can. As I’m pulling my hair away, I put the hairspray can under to hold it up. I do this for two reasons: the coldness of the can helps to set the lift (for me) and the heat of the flatiron burns my hand. By the way, great video!

• Sarah says
      Posted October 26, 2017

Thanks for the awesome suggestion! I always burn my hand when I try to do this and wondered what I could do differently!

30. Kyla says
    Posted October 25, 2017

I love your haircut. If I wanted to explain the cut to my stylist how would you describe it.

31. Meaghan says
    Posted October 25, 2017

Thanks for such a great and helpful video. Your tutorials are always so approachable and wearable…thanks!!!!!

32. Colleen Sees says
    Posted October 26, 2017

Hi Kate I have shoulder length lob and my ends seem to flip out not under any suggestions for how to fix this?

Posted October 26, 2017

It may be a haircut problem. Sometimes layers can be cut in a way to encourage the hair to flip out. Talk to your stylist!

33. Kelly Sprowles says
    Posted October 26, 2017

It is no exaggeration to say that you have changed my life with this tutorial. I have been at my wits end with my hair for years. My hair looks completely different! Its amazing what small changes can make such a huge impact. Thank you!!

Posted October 26, 2017

I love to hear this! I’m so glad!

34. Mandy says
    Posted October 26, 2017

Thank you! I have the same type of hair and it’s so frustrating when it falls flat. I have been using Oribe Grandiouse Mousse and Oribe Dry Texture Spray. Curious if you have ever tried Oribe and how you would compare it to Aquage and Amika

35. Annie says
    Posted October 26, 2017

I desperately need a haircut and this post shows the PERFECT photos to show my stylist for a haircut. So…thank you for that. Lol.

36. Paula says
    Posted October 26, 2017

Love the advice here and the product suggestions because I never know exactly what will work best in my hair. Like you, I have fine textured and often limp hair and need all the help I can get in the volume department! Thanks for sharing!

37. Katherine says
    Posted October 26, 2017

Thanks for sharing this! Hair question: What can you do if your hair gets all staticky when you run it through the flat iron? Does that mean you have dry hair?

38. Amber says
    Posted October 27, 2017

Love this! And I love your shirt! Where can I get one?

39. Vanessa says
    Posted October 27, 2017

Love the video! I have thin, straight hair so I’m always trying to figure out how to add some more life to my hair. Thanks for the tips! I also love your grey eyeshadow color! What is it?

40. Deb says
    Posted October 28, 2017

Great video!
    Where is brush you used to blow dry your hair!! Want one.
    Thanks

41. Posted October 28, 2017

Well, I LOVED all of your original tutorials. No need to be embarrassed. You changed so many women!
    Can’t wait to watch this one…

• Posted October 28, 2017

OK, loved that so very much. Like the good ol days but better!

Though I’m new to Aquage (my hair is thinning as I age) and don’t love how it feels, I really think it helps extend my style when I straighten my hair.

Now, off to wash my day 8 hair. I know, so so so gross. Even I’m grossed out. BUT like you mentioned in the video, I spent a lot of time doing it right after my wash last week so it lasted a whole dang week. I was also at a convention in a hotel that was painfully dry and cold. So, no sweating.

42. Jessica says
    Posted October 29, 2017

Love the Amika spray! I get very excited when it shows up in my Birchbox!

43. Desiree says
    Posted October 29, 2017

Best video ! So many tips ! thank you!

44. Christy says
    Posted October 30, 2017

I’ve yet to try the Aquage Uplifting Foam but definitely am going to try it soon because of how much you rave about it! Quick question though, I tend to sleep with my hair damp/let it air dry over night to save time, and then style in the morning. Would the Aquage foam still work as well if I apply on my wet hair and let it air dry overnight?

45. Posted November 1, 2017

You know this is popular when you go to buy one product from amazon and every other single product you mentioned here is in the “other customers bought these, too” box. LOL Love these tutorials! Off to pile up my shopping cart!

46. Ashly says
    Posted November 2, 2017

What brand is that brush you’re using? I’ve never seen on like that and I think it would make a huge difference in how my hair dries!

47. Fabienne says
    Posted November 16, 2017

you make it look so effortless!! you have the most beautiful head of hair! mine is super frizzy but I will certainly buy these products and give it a go! wish me luck!!!

48. Liz says
    Posted November 16, 2017

Love your tutorials! When I flat iron my hair, I get little fly aways around my part and front of my hair. These hairs stick straight up like I have static. Any suggestions to get rid of these?

49. Nicole says
    Posted November 17, 2017

I’m going to be the annoying person that asks…where did you get those earrings?? I love them…I tried searching your page and couldn’t find anything in regards to those particular ones.

Thanks!

50. Posted November 18, 2017

Hello there! Is it okay to flat iron your daily. I have a thinning hair and is currently using hair thickening shampoo.

51. Megan says
    Posted November 18, 2017

Do you think that type of shampoo and conditioner really help with the amount of lift you can get with your hair? I have a very hard time getting lift and keepin it all day but my ends tend to be dry and frizzy, so what would be the best shampoo and conditioner for both of my problems?
    PS- I watch your tutorials all the time and get ready with you all the time!

52. Sharnee says
    Posted November 18, 2017

I love your tutorials! I have much thinner/fine hair than you do, can you recommend a fellow stylist/blogger that does similar tutorials for my hair type? Thank you!

53. Lexie says
    Posted November 21, 2017

When you said 2011, I couldn’t believe it had been that long since I started reading your blog! I started reading all of your hair and makeup tutorials in college and credit you for being the reason I know how to do anything. We always inadvertently had similar haircuts which made your tutorials that much more relevant. I actually straightened my hair for the first time in ages yesterday and then I came across this post this morning! Great tutorial as usual, I’ll make sure I keep up better than I have lately. My hair could use some attention. Thanks for everything!

54. Clare says
    Posted November 22, 2017

Best hair straightening tutorial I’ve seen!!