Dutch Braid Messy Bun Hair Tutorial

I was out to dinner with some girlfriends a few weeks ago and I arrived a few minutes late. I slid into the booth and jumped right in to the conversation. Then, upon leaving, my friend Ashley said, “OH I didn’t even notice your hair was braided in the back!” so I joked about it being a surprise braid hairstyle.

What I like the most about this is it is the easiest way to style your hair when you either don’t feel like styling it OR it’s too dirty to wear down. The braid keeps it interesting, and the messy bun means it’s casual and undone.

If you would like to learn how to dutch braid, watch this! And here is a tutorial for tips on how to stretch out your braids a bit!

I’m wearing this top, these earrings, and this lipstick in “too bad I’m bad”.

p.s. this stripe tank would look so cute under a cardigan, and how cute are these pink mules?

1. Posted September 22, 2017

Ooh, such a cute hairdo. Hope my hair’s long enough to try it now!

2. Susan says
    Posted September 22, 2017

I can just say I have total hair envy??? LOL

3. Devin says
    Posted September 22, 2017

Thank you for getting back to your “roots” with a hair tutorial. This is why a first beginning following you and definitely a strength of the blog that I feel has been missing.

4. Annie Giron says
    Posted September 22, 2017

I really love the color of your hair. It is the perfect shade of blonde with just the right shade/ amount of low-lights. What level of low-lights do you use? If I were to guess, I would say a 7–but I would like to be able to tell my hairdresser so that I can get close to this shade. A lot of times, the low-light ends up fading so much that after 6 weeks, they are lost, and I have too much blonde going on. Thanks!!!

Posted September 23, 2017

I haven’t had a low light put in in along time, that’s just my natural color. I’d say it’s about a level 7 though!

• Annie Giron says
        Posted September 26, 2017

When you put in your hi-lights, do you do very fine ones or fine and thick ones together?

5. Sarah says
    Posted September 22, 2017

This was the perfect hairstyle for my second day air-dried hair today, thank you! I love it when you do hair tutorials, although mine never turn out quite as pretty 🙂

6. Eva says
    Posted September 23, 2017

Lovely! I need to get better practice with my hands reaching behind my head. You make it look so easy but I feel like I need a second joint. LOL

7. Holly says
    Posted September 23, 2017

This is a super cute and fun way to do your hair, I love it and can’t wait to try it tomorrow morning. It is a great way to complete a great outfit. Fun!

Holly from The Art of Being Holly xo

8. Gigi says
    Posted September 23, 2017

I love this style! I just tried it and am actually happy with the result (this is rare for me!). Thanks so much for sharing.

9. Randee says
    Posted September 24, 2017

So gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration; will be trying this today. I love how it’s a little undone, but still beautiful and interesting.

10. Dana Lewis says
    Posted September 25, 2017

Your mascara is rockin in these pics. What are you using? Love this hair do as well! Can’t wait to try it but my hair is down to the middle of my back so not sure how it’ll do.

11. Tonia says
    Posted September 25, 2017

Just curious: why is it called dutch braid?

Kind regards,

Tonia
    The Netherlands

12. Jasmine says
    Posted September 26, 2017

Looks great!

13. Marry says
    Posted October 24, 2017

You looks perfect with this hairs

14. Charlotte says
    Posted November 8, 2017

You are my go to girl for all things hair and makeup. Thanks so much for all you do. Now, off to do that dutch braid for the Veteran’s performance at my kids school. xoxo