The hair product that is often overlooked that you should be using

Raise your hand if you want to save some time getting ready in the morning.

::all hands are raised::

Anytime I hear someone complain about how long it takes to blow dry their hair, I always ask them if they are using a blow dry spray.

Usually the response is, “No, what is that and what does it do?!”

Blow dry spray is a product you spray onto damp hair to shave a bit of time off your blow dry. Depending on the product, some will offer other benefits like a bit of shine enhancement or detangling, but the general point is to cut that time down that you spend blasting hot air on your hair.

And it really really works.

Spray from mid shaft to ends, lifting your hair in large sections as you work around your head. Let it sit for a few minutes, then get to blowing dry. I notice a huge difference anytime I blow-dry without using it, and I’m certain you will as well.

Since we are talking about blow drying, I’ll share my quick process.

1. Wrap hair up in a hair turban.
  2. After about 5-8 minutes, let my hair down and run my fingers through it to “comb” it out. If you need to use a comb, grab a wide tooth one like this!
  3. Spray in blow dry spray and add any other hair products on top of it. I like to use this uplifing foam every day!
  4. Grab a wet brush, begin to blow dry, and marvel at how much less time it takes!

I’ve been using the L’Oreal Blow Dry It Quick Dry Primer Spray for a few months and have really enjoyed it! It does not leave a film of any kind on my hair, and seriously cuts down time I spend blowing dry.

Also? It’s $4.99 at Ulta. Skip a grande Vanilla latte one day and pick this product up!

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Posted August 24, 2017

I hardly ever use a hairdryer because I’m afraid of the damage it’ll do. Plus I need a new hairspray! If it really works then that’d be great!

2. Lori says
    Posted August 24, 2017

So the blow dry spray goes on underneath other styling products? I think I’ve been doing it in the wrong order! Thanks for these steps/tips!

Posted August 24, 2017

Yes I would apply it first so it stars working right away

3. Stephanee says
    Posted August 24, 2017

On average how much time do you think it saves? And does it dry hair out?

Posted August 24, 2017

That time is going to vary dramatically depending on your hair type and thickness. I think it probably saves me a few minutes and helps the brush glide through my hair much better.

4. Michele says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Do you prefer the aquis microfiber or crepe towels? I have the microfiber but don’t know really how much time it saves, just that they’re a better quality than the other hair towels I’ve tried. Also, is the wet brush worth the hype? I’m (now) a mom of two going back to work in November, so any help i can get doing my hair quick in the morning is appreciated!

Posted August 24, 2017

I love the wet brush! It’s the only brush I’ve used for almost a year now. And I have the waffle-style fabric and really like it.

• Michele says
        Posted August 24, 2017

Thanks! Any combo of things that will help me save time in the mornings is a total blessing!

BTW, that spray is available on Amazon for cheaper…as if $4.99 wasn’t already a steal!

• Joy says
      Posted September 3, 2017

I’ve been using Aquis hair towels for 20 years & LOVE them. They’re the only brand I’ll buy because they are awesome. My daughters & I all 3 use a Wet Brush too–a mini for the preschooler, an original for my 8 y/o, & the shine for myself.

5. Karly says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Use this Product everyday & love it! I actually think I bought it after I seen you show it a while back….

6. Alicia says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I use this also and love it. It really makes a difference and won’t dry my hair without it ever again!

7. Kristen says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I am going to have to try this! I guess its hard for me to believe that it really works! But for $4.99 its worth a try!!!

• Alli says
      Posted August 24, 2017

It seriously does! It takes me a solid 15 minutes to blow dry my hair without it. Maybe 10 with? LOOOOVE it!

8. Danielle says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Is there a blow dryer you recommend? Mine is about dead.

• Jessica says
      Posted August 25, 2017

I use the Rusk Speed Freak 2000 Watt Dryer, based on Kate’s recommendation a few years ago. It has great airflow and speeds up dry time. Available at Ulta or on Amazon.

9. Rayu says
    Posted August 24, 2017

That looks like a phenomenal hair product. Cutting drying time and protects hair from heat? Yes please!

10. Phyllis says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Hi! Thanks for the product recommendation. I noticed your blow dryer, do you like it? And would you recommend it? I purchased the identical hairdryer at Costco for $60, but its on its way back. It doesn’t seem to have less (output) power than my old Conair blowdryer.

• Phyllis says
      Posted August 24, 2017

Meant to say, it has less (output) power than my old Conair blowdryer. Which in turn takes a longer time to dry my hair when using this T3 dryer.

11. Posted August 24, 2017

I’ve used the Tigi root uplifting product and I must admit I was really disappointed (normally I really like their products). It doesn’t foam (not sure if it should), leaves sticky roots and doesn’t uplift. Aquage is not an option as they don’t sell outside the US.

• Bibi says
      Posted August 24, 2017

I purchased Aquage through Amazon. (I live in Calgary, Alberta) I like it but only use it on days when I need my hair to cooperate for special occasions. Too expensive for everyday use.

12. Paige says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I’m glad to see you are still recommending this product. I buy 2 or 3 bottles at a time because it is sometimes hard to find. I like that it doesn’t leave any film in my hair or make it dry.

13. Holly Osborn says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Can’t wait to try out this product!

14. Jerica says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I have really fine hair but A LOT of it… every time I blow dry it’s a huge fluff… do you think this will help? Or do you have any other advice on possible techniques?

• Jenn says
      Posted September 4, 2017

Yes!!! I have the same texture, and this product is A-MAZING!! Seriously cuts drying time DRASTICALLY for me, and leaves my hair smooth and super soft. You will love it!

15. lisa salazar says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this product! I have very coarse hair and this spray leaves it noticeably softer and more manageable. I have to say I haven’t seen a difference in the time it takes me to blow dry (I have very thick shoulder-length hair), but this product is a MUST in my routine. I’ve tried the Pureology Color Fanatic which is much pricier. The Loreal blow out spray works even better and smells great.

16. Jennifer says
  17. Nikki says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I’ve bought several products based on your recommendations and you’ve never steered me wrong! I just ordered the blow dry spray, hair turban, wet brush and detangle comb! Oh, and more Kenra hairspray!

18. Angela says
    Posted August 24, 2017

How does the L’Oreal spray compare to KMS Free Shape?

19. Melinda M. says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Would this work for air drying your hair or is it only effective when used with heat styling?

20. Morgan says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Does this seem to have any long term drying effect on your hair? I have dry, coarse hair and would love to cut down on drying time but need to be very careful about washing/drying/heat styling too much since I have somewhat fine hair that is prone to breakage.

21. Dianna Miller says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I’m so glad I read this today! It takes me forever to dry my hair. I will have to try out this product.

22. Michela says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I think it is very useful since it is also an heat protector!
    Miki x

23. Posted August 24, 2017

Oh wow, I have been blowing drying my hair wrong the whole time? I have no idea that I should use this, thanks for sharing <3

24. Beth says

Yep! Want to try this!

25. Alyssa says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I try to avoid blowdrying my hair at all costs, but when I do, I think this product will come in handy!

26. Marah says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Love these kind of posts most of all! Bargain friendly and practical advice! Thanks Kate!

• Marah says
      Posted August 24, 2017

Actually I meant to say “budget friendly”

27. Kim says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I feel like I’ve been living under a rock never hearing of this! I need to try it!

Kim

http://trendkeeper.me – PRIVATE sale!

28. Lia says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Put me in the camp of people who’ve never heard of blow dry spray. I’m excited to try it!

While we’re on the topic, how long does it take you ladies to dry your hair? I started reading the reviews of the spray on Ulta’s site and literally burst out laughing when several women described their hair as taking “forever to blow dry – about 10 minutes.”

Hah! Mine takes at least 30 minutes. I bought a nice blow dryer a couple years ago (Harry Josh) and while my hair looks a lot healthier with it, the dry time is still super long.

Would love to see if I’m the only one with this problem.

• Kelly says
      Posted August 28, 2017

Haha! No kidding! Mine is at least 25 minutes to blow dry so I can wait to try this! I seriously skip working out just so I don’t have to wash and then dry my hair. It’s exhausting!! I thought finding the Living Proof dry shampoo was a life saver…this might outdo it!!

29. Noelle says
    Posted August 24, 2017

I have used the Kenra blow dry spray in the past and I can’t really tell if it speeds up drying time or not. But I have always heard really great things about L’Oreal’s hair products and I think for that price I may have to try this one!
    -Noelle
    Elle-no.com

30. Megan says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Hi Kate! I have a question about this product. I currently use “Its a 10” spray on my damp hair before drying. It’s supposed to protect against heat but also really helps condition my hair (my hair is thick, coarse, and porous). Should I try this instead of “it’s a 10” or in addition to it? If I need to use both, which should I use first? Thanks for clarifying!

31. Cecily says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Would you recommend this for curly hair that is diffused? Always wishing my hair will take less time to dry! 🙂 Thanks!

32. Lauren says
    Posted August 24, 2017

Does this leave your hair sticky or heavy?

33. April says
    Posted August 25, 2017

I had never heard of a blow dry spray until right now after reading this post. This will be a great to use with my hot air brush. http://hairbrushguides.com/lescolton-electric-hairbrush/ Usually I have to wait until my hair is 80% dry to get efficient results but I definitely think this will help! 🙂 Thanks!

34. Ania says
    Posted August 25, 2017

I have never thought to pick it up in the drugstore before! Must do that next time. Thanks for the tip!

35. Angelina says
    Posted August 25, 2017

I use the Ameka bombshell blow out spray to protect my hair before I blow-dry it. Would I still use this plus the L’Oreal primer, or just use the primer?

36. Calie says
    Posted August 25, 2017

Heading to Ulta tomorrow to try this out! My hair is thick and take FOREVER to dry, so I’m hoping this will help a little.

37. Courtney says
    Posted August 26, 2017

Do you feel that the hair turban makes a big difference in absorbing the water verses a regular towel? Love your blog!

38. Chelsey says
    Posted August 26, 2017

Bought this spray at the grocery store last night and I’m looking forward to trying it! My hair is super thick and takes forever to dry, so this could be a total game changer! Thanks for the recommendation!

39. Lisette says
    Posted August 27, 2017

Hi Kate, can you tell my why aquage uplifting foam leaves my hair greasy and oily? I get no volume like you do.

40. Amanda says
    Posted August 27, 2017

Game changer! It takes 20 minutes to dry mine and at least 25 for my daughters (after it air dries for 30 minutes). I just ordered from Walmart grocery pickup for $3.97!! Can’t wait to get my hands on it. Thank you!!!

41. M says
    Posted August 27, 2017

Yassss!!!! I used this from your old rec on a post about blow drying thick hair. It is totally a game changer. I love this specific product as well- I find it does a better job than many more expensive ones! But seriously. This has cut my blow dry time buy at least half and it really keeps the style longer. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

42. Alisha says
    Posted August 28, 2017

Really want to try this after reading your post! Anything to save some time in the morning x

Alisha | https://alishaxali.blogspot.co.uk

43. Emily says
    Posted August 29, 2017

Ooh, definitely want to give this a go after reading your review!
    EVHXO EDIT

44. Abi says
    Posted August 29, 2017

Do you like this product better than the KMS California Free Shape Quick Blow Dry one??

45. calie says
    Posted August 30, 2017

bought it and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

46. Chantel says
    Posted August 31, 2017

Cool. Thanks for sharing.