5 Most Commonly Asked Questions about Makeup + Hair

From time to time I’ll pop onto Instagram stories or Instagram live and do a little Q & A session! I’ve learned that a lot of the same questions are asked and I receive A LOT of questions that I’ve already answered on past blog posts. So just as a reminder: use that search box on the right and type in the keyword (ex. mascara or braid) or brand name that you are looking for, and if I’ve written about it, it will come up!

In the meantime, I thought I would highlight the 5 most commonly asked makeup questions today!

1. What is your favorite foundation?

My all-time favorite foundation is Arbonne Perfecting Liquid Foundation. It’s a full-coverage, natural/matte finish that covers everything but doesn’t feel nor look heavy. I don’t sell Arbonne, so I’d recommend checking the website to find a consultant near you to help with color matching and product suggestion!

Second to that would be Tarte’s Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation. It wears a little bit more radiant/natural in that it isn’t as matte as Arbonne Perfecting Liquid, but it still is full-coverage without looking heavy. On that note, I don’t think “heavy” foundations exist, I think it’s just an application problem. Tarte offers such a huge range in foundation shades that it may take a bit of trial and error to find the right shade, but when you find it, it will be *right*.

Third in line is It Cosmetics CC+ foundation. The shade range is minimal, but it’s a great full-coverage foundation that looks like your skin but better. This is what I usually wear in the warmer months.

If you don’t like liquid foundation, I’d recommend Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation. It’s a loose powder but will give excellent coverage and let your skin breathe. I really like wearing this in the summertime.

2. What is your favorite eyebrow product for natural looking eyebrows?

For a long time I really loved Hourglass Arch Brow pencil. And I still really do! It’s an angled shape so it makes it really easy to follow the natural arch of your brows. The shade Platinum Blonde is the closest I can find to my eyebrow shade but is a touch dark. I’d still highly recommend it and if they came out with a shade just a tiny bit lighter, I think it would be perfect for me.

I’ve really enjoyed Benefit’s Goof Proof Eyebrow Pencil lately. It’s a slightly warmer and lighter shade than what I used from Hourglass, and still really easy to apply. I also like finishing my brows with Gimme Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel, also by Benefit. It’s a really natural looking way to add a bit more depth and thickness. If you want more information on how I fill in my brows, check out this post!

3. What mascara do you use?

Lately I’ve been loving Benefits Roller Lash + Cherry Bloom lash fibers + Bobbi Brown Eye Opening Mascara. I know, it’s 3 products, but that’s how sad my lashes are. Benefit’s Roller Lash is the only thing that keeps my lashes UP, the fibers add length and thickness, and Bobbi Brown Eye Opening Mascara adds serious definition.

4. Do you have a tutorial for how to apply eyeshadow?

I do! You can watch the video here! And here’s my latest favorite base color (it’s drugstore!).

5. How can I explain your exact haircut or color to my hairstylist?

You would be much better off simply bringing a photo in of any hairstyle you are trying to achieve, whether it’s mine or anyone else’s. Generally, my haircut is a mid length layered cut, but saying those words to a hairstylist can mean so many different things. If you bring a photo, they can see exactly what you like, and what you mean. Hairstylists are creative and visual people, so looking at images and talking through them is likely to be much more successful!

Any other questions you’d like to see answered on the blog? Feel free to leave them in the comments below!

1. Posted May 8, 2017

I agree with using Benefit’s products for brows. There’s a reason why they market their brow products so much, they’re excellent!

I agree!

2. Shannon says
    Posted May 8, 2017

When will we get to read part 2 of the story of how you and Justin met?

• Posted May 10, 2017

Yes! I’d like to see this too. 🙂

3. Posted May 8, 2017

I think we have the same taste in products. I live by the IT CC cream and the Benefit brow products. I used to use Roller Lash, but I’m thinking I should get back into it. Have you tried Too Faced Better than Sex? Is it worth the hype?

• Sarah says
      Posted May 8, 2017

I *LOVE* BTS. On my 2nd tube. Swear by it. Thickning, lengthening, curling. BUT, it can have fallout, so I us a tubing mascara as a first coat (I like Cover Girl Professional Remarkable.)

4. Natalie says
    Posted May 8, 2017

Hi – what are your favorite concealer products for under eye and just every day wear?

5. DTOlsen says
    Posted May 8, 2017

Have you heard of or tried makeup baking? I heard about it recently (from YouTube, of course) and was curious if you’ve tried it. Apparently it makes your makeup last longer.

6. Amy says
    Posted May 8, 2017

Kate, try adding 1 drop of lavender oil (think Young Living or any other 100% pure essential oils that are safe for use on skin) to your mascara. Lavender helps strengthen and lengthen hair. It’s done wonders for my eyelashes which have easily doubled in length since I’ve started adding it to my mascara.

I also add 1 drop each of lavender, cedarwood, and rosemary essential oils per ounce to my shampoo which has really helped reduce breakage of my thin hair (yay fewer fly-aways!) and helped it grow healthy and strong.

7. christina says
    Posted May 8, 2017

I really think you might like to try babeLash eyelash serum. I’ve never had any sensitivity or fall out and everyone keeps asking if my lashes are real. You can get it on Amazon and I love it! Very easy to use.

8. Candice says
    Posted May 8, 2017

Any recommendations for covering up the under eye area? Working mom of 3 small children, sleep isn’t always an option!

9. Caitlin says

Love this!

10. Michelle says
    Posted May 8, 2017

are you using b the IT Cosmetics CC cream or their foundation? They have both.

11. Krysie says
    Posted May 8, 2017

Any tips on finding a hairstyle/cut & hair color that is most suitable (hair texture, face shape, skin tone)? I’ve had several flops and would love to hear what your process was when recommending to clients when you were behind the chair. Thanks!

12. Amanda says
    Posted May 8, 2017

When are you going to post details from your Aldi dinner the other night with recipes ?

13. Joanna says
    Posted May 8, 2017

What foundation would you recommend for oily skin?

14. Bridgette Hartley says
    Posted May 8, 2017

Best concealer for dark circles that doesn’t crease?

15. Kimberly says
    Posted May 9, 2017

Do you have problems with Kenra 25 not spraying anymore halfway through the bottle? I shake well before use and rinse the nozzle and stem in hot water frequently. My salon has stopped carrying it because of this issue. Help! I can’t live without it!

Posted May 9, 2017

I had the same problem so many times I refuse to buy it anymore cuz it ends up being such a waste! So frustrating! Sorry I don’t have a solution either but wanted to share your pain lol

16. Colleen says
    Posted May 9, 2017

What kind of makeup mirror do you recommend?

17. Posted May 9, 2017

I always switch over from a matte foundation in winter to a lighter foundation/BB Cream in the summer. I live in a humid southern state too, and trying to keep your foundation matte with 90% humidity is a losing battle!

18. Kate says
    Posted May 9, 2017

I have and love the Tarte clay foundation and I also have the tarte airbrush powder foundation… and I want to love it but I don’t think I’m applying correctly. How do you apply to get the coverage? It always ends up acting as a finishing powder on me.

19. Molly says
    Posted May 9, 2017

I tried the Tarte 12 Hour Amazonian Clay Foundation after reading about your experience, and am in love with it! I have finally found a foundation that is long wearing with my skin which tends to be more oily. SO glad I gave it a try!

Posted May 9, 2017

YAY! Love to hear this!

20. Doranda says
    Posted May 9, 2017

How much should you tip for salon services? Haircut? Highlight? Manicure? Lash lift?

21. Anna says
    Posted May 10, 2017

Hey Kate! When is the second part of yours and Justin’s little lovestory / how you guys met coming? 🙂
    I thought the first part of your story was soo sweet and am looking very much forward to the next.

All the Best!
    Anna

22. Sophie says
    Posted May 10, 2017

I really want to try that Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation but just haven’t got round to it yet. Going to have to make it my next beauty purchase I think!
    Sophie x | Sophar So Good

23. Natalie says
    Posted May 10, 2017

Do you have a good recommendation for a drug store mascara? I read a while back that you used to use Covergirl Lash Blast (?). Do you still like that one?

Posted May 10, 2017

Not often, but it’s a great drugstore option!

24. Diane says
    Posted May 31, 2017

I used to use waterproof mascara because it gave my eyelashes more curl and lift. But the older I got, I noticed they were drying out and breaking off. I started using a regular conditioning mascara (Neutrogena) for the first coat, and the waterproof on top of that.. made a big difference.

25. Jen says
    Posted June 10, 2017

Hi!!! Loved your hair in your most recent video!!! What length are your layers? Besides bringing a picture in to my stylist, how can I describe your cut? Thank you so much! ☺️

26. Tanya says
    Posted June 21, 2017

What lip color are you wearing in your June 15 instagram…(Ellie May off the shoulder top). I love it, top and lip color!!!

Tanya Malwitz

27. Lauren Lambright says
    Posted June 27, 2017

What kind of
    Powder do you use over your foundation?