My favorite (and easy to use) eyebrow products

I’ve never had full or thick eyebrows, but I’ve always known that they matter to framing and “finishing” one’s face. So that may mean filling them in, which whatever kind of product you prefer, to create a most natural as possible look! A few years ago eyebrows, more specifically thick and dark eyebrows, sort of became a trend. I never jumped onto that trend because it was way too harsh for my coloring and I also didn’t really love the look on many people in general.

I always kept it pretty light and simple, with just enough filling in to create enough of an eyebrow there to get away with. But more recently I’ve paid a but more attention to them, and I really like the more “complete” look of a slightly fuller, albeit still light brow.

It makes quite a difference, huh?

I always apply my eyebrow products after foundation and setting powder. I find that this creates the easiest base to work on and it makes sure that nothing smudges or smears!

Starting with a pencil, I establish the shape. I follow the natural shape of my brow as closely as I can, filling in a bit more on the top and outer edge than usual.

Here is the shape with just the pencil:

Then I’ve been adding Benefit’s Gimme Brow for a bit more thickness. This really only goes on the inner half of my brow as essentially the entire outer half is just pencil. That’s how few hairs I have to work with!

The end result is a simple, naturally shaped brow that completely finishes my face!

I have a few eyebrow products that I really like, and I’ll explain why next to each one!

Eyebrow Favorites:

Hourglass Arch Brow Pencil – I love how easy this is to use. I love the angled tip and how the product applies without much effort. It’s a bit dark, though.

Benefit Precisely, My Brow – This is an easy to use pencil with a twist up tip. It won’t give you the sharpest point, but it fills in brows nicely.

Anastasia Brow Wiz – A cult favorite, this is a tiny twist up pencil that has a nice range of shades.

Pixi Endless Brow – This is a great price point, has a soft tip but a sharpener can give you more precision!

Benefit Goof Proof – Another “teardrop” shaped product, like Hourglass Arch, that I used in this tutorial. May be the front runner for me right now! Color is perfect, and application is a breeze.

Benefit Gimme Brow – To me this is just an extra to add fullness. I could live without it, but I do like the depth it contributes.

Do you have a favorite eyebrow product? I haven’t ventured into powders and waxes because, well, it seems a bit fussy to me. I don’t want to spend any more time on my brows than I already am, so I feel like the quickest way to get the look I want is with a pencil!

For more, check out some recent beauty tries and my favorite eye makeup trick.

1. Beth says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I’ve been using the arch hourglass eyebrow pencil due to your recommendation and I really like it. It took me a while to get used to the shape of the tip, but the coverage is great and easy now that I’m used to it. Thanks for sharing these other brow products!

2. Posted March 30, 2017

Brows really make a world of difference. I’ve always loved Benefit’s brow products, they’re great.

3. Emily says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Are you using the lightest Benefit colors in the tutorial?

4. Posted March 30, 2017

You make this look so easy! Definitely going to have to give this a try!
    Xo, Elizabeth

5. Ashley says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Currently loving Mirabella brow pencil! Also love there brow powder! So quick if your just trying to get out the door!

6. Leigh Ann says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Just purchased the Brow Wiz and like it. Some pencils make it easy to overdo it, but this one gives more control. I have dark brown hair but went up a shade in the pencil so that it functions more of a highlight, which prevents it from ending up too severe.

7. C says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Thank you so much for this post! Have you tried any eyebrow growth products/serums? They make them for lashes and I have seen them for brows as well – there are so many, it’s hard to tell which (if any) may actually work!

• Posted April 15, 2017

I’ve been using Senegence’s LashExtend serum on my eyebrows and they grew back really fast! I was surprised that it worked, because the front part of my eyebrow had thinned out so much.

8. Posted March 30, 2017

I love using a thin pencil to define my brows, but I find they finish so quickly! I’m currently using a brow wax from e.l.f. but I’d love to try the Anastasia Brow Wiz next.

Blush & Pearls by Angela

• Stacie says
      Posted March 30, 2017

Try the Elf Pencil!! It has a twist up pencil on one end and a spoolie on the other. For $2.97 you can’t go wrong! I used to use Anastasia Brow Wiz but found they did run out fast and at $30 it became expensive!

9. Arijana says
    Posted March 30, 2017

When I was about 14 I ruined my eyebrows by over plucking. I am 36 now and still paying the price from when I was a stupid teenager.
    If I could only take one make up item to a stranded island with me, it would be eyebrow pencil because I don’t have any eyebrows and little bit hair that I do have is very light and barely noticeable. Good eyebrows make world of difference, in my opinion.
    I’ve been using Anastasia eyebrow products for quite some time. The pencil got to be bit expensive so I switched over to gel formula.
    Great post, by the way

10. Karly says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Beautiful, Kate. Big difference. I use Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pencil in soft brown. I’ve tried many over the years and I always go back to this one! Love it. I also like the Benefit Gimme Brow for a little added thickness! 🙂

11. Erika says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I’ve been using Benefit’s Precisely, My Brow for a few weeks now and I LOVE it.

12. Jenny says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I have sparse, blonde eyebrows like yours and had always used a brow pencil which would end up melting off by the end of the day and always seemed to look a bit harsh. I switched to the Anastasia brow powder a couple years ago and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a pencil.

13. Posted March 30, 2017

I use the Anastasia Brow Wiz with the Benefit Gimme Brow and that works like a dream! I’ve recently been using Rodan and Fields’ Lash Blast (it’s a product to help grow your eyelashes), but you can also put it on your eyebrows and its been filling in my normally sparse brows really well! (I don’t sell the stuff and I got it as a gift, but just now love it!)

14. AOK says
    Posted March 30, 2017

The NYX Micro Brow pencil is an exact dupe for the Anastasia Brow Wiz, and half the price. I made the switch last summer and never looked back!

• Susan says
      Posted March 30, 2017

Yes! The NYX Micro Brow pencil is an exact dupe for a fraction of the cost of the Anastasia. Tip for the Gimmie Brow is to brush the brows “backwards” towards the nose to coat the brow. Then brush them into place.

• AOK says

Thanks for the tip!

15. Lo says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I feel like people won’t believe me, but the e.l.f eyebrow enhancer is the best. thing. ever. I use the neutral brown and love how easy it is to use. I purchase it at Target for $1.99! at that price you basically have to try it 🙂

XO Lo
    thoseprettypieces.com

• Karly says
      Posted March 30, 2017

thanks for mentioning it, for that price I’m defiantly going to give it a try! 🙂

• Stacie says
      Posted March 30, 2017

Yes, I love it!! For $2.97 (in Canada) you can’t go wrong! It’s the perfect shade and has a spoolie on the end!

16. Amanda says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Pixi Natural Brow Duo is the absolute BEST. The angled pencil followed by a bit of the gel to keep my brows in place as I have long individual brow hairs.

• Kelly says
      Posted March 31, 2017

I just got hip to this last week! For a natural red head with essentially clear brows, this has made all the difference. It goes on so natural with the angled tip and with the gel on top it has staying power. Love it.

17. Posted March 30, 2017

Hey there, I really like this post! I used the Sleek Brow kit in the shade Light, but recently I switched to NYX Micro Brow Pencil in the shade Taupe mixed with the E.l.F Studio Brow Pencil and Filler also in the shade Taupe. Also, at the end I add the L’oreal Brow Artist Plumper in the shade Light-Medium.

18. Susan says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Castor oil on the brows at night is a great growth enhancer. Sounds like an
    “old wives tale” but it really helped my over plucked brows!

19. Lucy says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise – I love your blog & have learned so much! Is there any way you could do a post about doing make up for cameras / video / photos? I’ve not had good experiences w/ professional make up artists for these things – you’re rushing around, and in real life, you look crazy – but a post about make up that looks good in real life & also good in photos would be awesome. Thank you!

20. Katy says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Anastasia Brow Wiz, love it! I never did my eyebrows before (didn’t even wear makeup till recently), but the Brow wiz is so easy, nearly fool proof, and works like a dream.
    Love your blog BTW, being a fair skinned blond myself your recommendations are awesome!

21. Kasi says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I love the ColourPop eyebrow pencil! Maskcara first raved about them, and you can’t beat that they’re only $5! They twist up to a fine point, and come with a little spooly attached. And there are a good amount of colors to choose from.

22. Paige says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I have been loving the ELf eyebrow pencil! It’s super easy to use, almost identical to the anastasia beverly hills one, and it only cost $2!

Paige

23. Posted March 30, 2017

About a year ago on my way to a wedding in Winston-Salem my mother made me stop at a store in Greensboro to buy some brow stuff. She lives in Colorado. She had researched and this is the only store in the state that carries this stuff. No kidding. I obeyed (she was paying) and I’m hooked. Before this I tried all kinds of brow things and everything smudged. I have/had super thick, bushy brows. Before laser came along there was electrolysis. I had that done in college for months so all that zapped hair does not grow back. They did it a bit unevenly so I need a little help. Also, as my waxing person Allison says, “Your brows are just crazy.” They are. They go everywhere. I need taming.
    Back to the product. It’s called Wunderbrow. This stuff sets and doesn’t budge until the purity takes it off at the end of the day. You have to be light handed with it but once you get the gist, it’s dreamy. It’s been 11 months and my tube is just now empty.

• Carrie says
      Posted March 30, 2017

I have been watching the videos on this. There are mixed reviews – is it hard to apply

24. Kate says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I have same issue with sparse brows and love the gimme brow…have to ask …what is lip
    Color you are wearing-a great spring pink!

25. Sarah says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I like both sets of eye brows on you! Weird to say lol…when you pencil them in yourself are you ever afraid of “wiping them off,” accidentally during NC heatwave?

I lived in NC during the summer and I remember how humid it would get…I swear my front door was just drenched with moisture. I honestly don’t know if I had to pencil my eye brows in that they wouldn’t be smeared up my forehead.

26. Stephanie says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I love Maybelline Eyestudio brow define + fill duo and a Clinique brow brush to blend. I’m not a drugstore brand fan, but this works so good I have no reason to spend more on brows.

27. Carrir says
    Posted March 30, 2017

Have you, or know of anyone who has tried Wunderbrow?

I too have very thin eyebrows.

28. Cecily says
    Posted March 30, 2017

I love the Sonia Kashuk brow pencil! Although I have medium brown hair, my brows are more of light brown/gray (at 24!). I use the taupe shade (similar in color to many you use!) and it works wonderfully!

29. Melanie says
    Posted March 31, 2017

I love the Almay brow pencil. It’s extremely easy to apply and works perfectly for my sensitive face.

30. Natalie says
    Posted March 31, 2017

I went for an eyebrow was last weekend and they mentioned a product that helps grow your brows thicker! I am 49 and my eyebrows are gradually disappearing, so I was intrigued. Although I didnt see what their product was for sale, I went home and checked to see what was out there. I found products on Amazon, one of which is based on castor oil? Turns out this is some kind of ancient remedy that can be used to enhance lashes, brows, or other hair. I got it this week and am very anxious to see what it does. The one I bought had a lot of great reviews, and was only $12.

31. Melanie from SLC says
    Posted April 3, 2017

Thank you for this post! Where I live, microblading is very popular–it seems like everyone is getting it done–but I just don’t love the results! I think a lot of women look like they drew their eyebrows on with a sharpie marker afterwards!

32. Cyndi says
    Posted April 5, 2017

I have found that as I have aged, my brows have gotten thinner even though the hair is dark. I use Clinique Brow Shaper. Its a pressed powder with a small brush applicator. I just follow the brow shape and fill in just a bit. Makes a world of difference!

33. Merrie Wiley says
    Posted April 5, 2017

Love the 3 Second Brow Product!

34. Christine says
    Posted April 8, 2017

What are your thoughts on the new microblading trend? Do you think it is something you would consider? I have been thinking about it because my SIL had it done and it looks great. I am tempted to do it too and also consider eyelash enhancement tattoo line to give the allusion of thicker lashes!!

Posted April 8, 2017

I’m still totally tempted!

35. Posted April 15, 2017

I really like Anastasia’s Brow Wiz as well, and I managed to grow back my thinning eyebrows using Senegence’s LashExtend. They look sooo much better now!

36. Paige says
    Posted April 25, 2017

I use Etude House (a Korean brand) Drawing Brows pencils. The actual pencil part is oddly-shaped, but the color (I use #2, Grey Brown) is PERFECT. Not too orange, not too gray, just the perfect taupe). The pencil has a spoolie on the other end so you can blend. I ordered one of these pencils from Amazon, and after using it for a few days I ordered 4 more (because it takes awhile to get here from SK) because I didn’t want to be without!