The Textured Ponytail

Well, since I shot this tutorial I’ve cut about 4 inches off the bottom of my hair! Looking back at these photos is nostalgic. Okay, I’m kidding. It’s only been about a week for crying out loud.

And you know what? Long hair is not for me. I gave it my best effort, I really did, and in the end I’ve resolved that collarbone-ish is the perfect length for me! You can see it a bit on Instagram, if you’d like!

My hair, though, at this length wouldn’t work too well in a messy bun so I wore it in a low ponytail quite often. And I loved messing it up a bit so the pony looked relaxed and undone, as that is my favorite way to wear my hair.

In the tutorial I use Living Proof Full Dry Volume Blast for texture!

I love seeing your versions of my hair tutorials on instagram, so tag me (@k8_smallthings) and use #smallthingshair so I can come and see!

Another ponytail tutorial hereย and here!

1. Posted February 20, 2017

Love this, perfect for the summer!
    Xo
    Elizabeth

2. Melissa G says
    Posted February 20, 2017

I started letting my hair grow out from VERY short about 2 years ago. I had lost a very large amount of weight and decided I wanted to try longer hair. I thought I’d like wearing ball caps some, and they look better with longer hair. ( I have about 8 cute caps that I NEVER EVER wear) . Well, I recently got it cut. It was just too much work and never really looked great. It’s not as short as I used to wear it, but in a lob. It looks soooo much better. Both my daughters had been telling me to keep it longer, but in the end they like it. And surprisingly (although I am NOT one that does my hair for my husband) he said he liked it better shorter. Now I feel I may go even a tad shorter:)

3. Lo says
    Posted February 20, 2017

I love your new cut! even though I would love long luscious hair, I agree that short{er} hair works best for me too! would you just opt for a messy bun for this style now that your hair is shorter?

XO Lo
    thoseprettypieces.com

Posted February 20, 2017

I’d happily do either!

4. Posted February 20, 2017

I’m planning on getting a bunch of my hair lobbed off soon to. I love the appeal of long hair, but it eventually just looks drab and lifeless on me. It’s like mid-back now and it’s getting on my nerves. So, I feel you on trying long hair, it’s just not for everyone.

5. Amy says
    Posted February 20, 2017
  6. Posted February 20, 2017

Love this look for days when my hair gets a bit dirty. Have to make a point of trying it in the morning if I have the energy! Looks very doable.

Blush & Pearls by Angela

7. Colleen says
    Posted February 20, 2017

Thanks for the tutorial Kate. I love that shirt you are wearing in this video. Where did you find it?

Posted February 20, 2017

It is very very old from Loft!

• Colleen says
        Posted February 21, 2017

Thanks, it looks great on you!

8. Fia says
    Posted February 20, 2017

Love this hairstyle! So quick and easy and it looks absolutely gorgeous! x
    Fia from http://www.lace-and-lilies.blogspot.com

9. Posted February 20, 2017

This would be just perfect for the office. I love having my hair out of my face at work but still need it to look professional so my go to messy bun doesn’t always fit the bill. Now just for a few practice runs so I can make it looking (almost) as good as yours!

10. Paige says
    Posted February 20, 2017

This is such a pretty look! I wish my hair was thick enough to rock it!

Paige

11. Posted February 20, 2017

I have a little one on the way, and by the time she gets her my hair will be about this length. Can’t wait to try this out for those busy mom days! Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Maddy R says
    Posted February 20, 2017

I love this hairstyle! I definitely need to try this one out! It looks gorgeous on you! Thanks for sharing!

13. Mel says
    Posted February 21, 2017

Such a cute and stylish look! Love this for everyday!

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com

14. Posted February 21, 2017

I lover it! I am terrible with my hair… I normally just wear my hair in a traditional pony tail or ballet bun… so terrible. Today you’ve inspired me to put more effort in and look more fab!! Thank you. You really make it look so easy.

15. Sarah says
    Posted February 21, 2017

I am so over “mermaid” hair! Actually, I love the look on other people, it’s just not for me. I am loving my lob right now.

Great tutorial, but I’ve got a serious question … could you do a post/tutorial on how to part your hair appropriately? It seems like this comes naturally to a lot of people, but I just can’t do it myself.

16. Elisa says
    Posted February 21, 2017

I am so so excited that you cut your hair! I have the same length as you have had these past months, and while there are great advantages (braids, buns, etc), I always return to a collarbone length. Got my cut booked for two weeks from now, so I’m excited to see what new tutorials you’ll have so I can try them out!

17. Bonnie says
    Posted February 21, 2017

I’ve always liked your hair better shorter, so I can’t wait to see the new look show up on the blog! (I have IG but never seen to make it over there. And I find it difficult on my phone.)

18. Andrea says
    Posted February 23, 2017

What lipstick are you wearing? The Color is great

19. Min Gi Kim says
    Posted March 1, 2017

Hi kate ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m Min Gi. Form korea.
    I love your video.
    So i whanever
    Curl my hair with watch your video always.
    I using marcel curling iron.
    It’s hot tools.
    And i using texture hairspray After curling.
    But i cant curl my hair like you.
    It isn’t SOFT WAVE.
    I have unnatural wave after curling.
    Sometimes i curling my hair witn marcel iron, the hair
    tangle. Really tangle.
    Not easy.
    Do you know what’s problem? Please answer
    My question.
    I really wonder about.

• Min Gi Kim says
      Posted March 1, 2017

And i can’t do full wave.
      How can i get full wave?
      My hair is long.
      If you ansewr my question,
      Really thanks.

20. Posted March 1, 2017

Love your tutorials, you make them look so easy. and the textured pony is lovely as always ๐Ÿ™‚ Medium hairstyle suits to better, in my opinion.

21. Posted March 3, 2017

Wow such a beautiful looking textured ponytail. Honestly, I never tried doing it but will do it now. Wonderful thing is that you do it on your own hair then blog it!

22. Jenny says
    Posted March 10, 2017

How do you get your hair to hold texture so well? I can use texture spray or powder, tease the heck out of my hair, spray it with Kenra and within an hour it’s all gone and my hair is flat. My hair is super silky which can be a pain when trying to do styles; it just doesn’t hold. What can you recommend for this Kate? Thanks a ton!

23. Heather says
    Posted March 11, 2017

Been watching your hairstyle videos for the last two years! I am a baby boomer who has learned a lot about new hair styles and how to do my own hair-my hair styles look much better than anything that comes out of a salon.