Beachy Mermaid Waves Hair Tutorial

beachywaves-2

I’m channeling my inner Daryl Hannah for this tutorial! Who else loved the movie Splash from 1984?!

I’m teaching you how to do these beachy waves with whatever curling iron you already have! No need to purchase a 3 barrel iron, unless this is a look you are wanting on a daily basis in which case a 3 barrel iron would save a lot of time!

This technique takes practice, but if you really pay attention to where you are putting the iron in, you’ll be able to do it!

I used a Babyliss 1 1/4 inch iron(under $50!) and Oribe Beach Wave & Shine Spray.

beachywaves-3

beachywaves-4

beachywaves-6

beachywaves

More curling tutorials here and here!

1. Esther says
    Posted September 8, 2016

Wow i love this hairstyle, it suits you so much! looks very fresh! :))

2. Lauren says
    Posted September 8, 2016

Love this look! But man, I don’t think I would have the patience to do this! I would give up half way through. Ha! Beautiful on you though!

3. Maria says
    Posted September 8, 2016

Such a cute style on you!! Was wondering if you could recommend a curling iron that won’t break the bank?

• Posted September 8, 2016

She uses a Babyliss (sp?) in the video and I’ve gotten a couple of those over the years at
      T.J. Maxx in their beauty section marked down quite a bit.

• Sarah says
        Posted September 9, 2016

Yes, I’ve found most of my hair styling tools at TJMaxx!!

Posted September 8, 2016

The babyliss is under $50!

4. Alyssa says

Such a fun look!

5. Cheryl says
    Posted September 8, 2016

Gorgeous. I can’t wait to try it myself.

6. Tiffany says
    Posted September 8, 2016

So simple! I’ve been wanting to try this style but didn’t know how to do it! Thank you for sharing and making it look so easy! 🙂

7. Charlotte says
    Posted September 8, 2016

I love it! Looks so good on you! I’m terribly uncoordinated with a curling iron but think I will give this a try!

8. Gena says
    Posted September 8, 2016

love it! excited to try! 🙂

9. Bee says
    Posted September 8, 2016

You’re right! A mermaid would NEVER use hairspray!
    I can’t wait to try this! If you used a 3-barrel curling iron, would kind would you recommend?
    Thanks for another fun video!

10. Jana says
    Posted September 8, 2016

About how long in real time does this take you?

11. Sophie says

Gorgeous hairstyle! Sophie x

sophiehmstewart.com

12. Posted September 8, 2016

Oh, I can’t wait to watch this one. That Oribe spray was my happy place when living in Florida this summer.

• Posted September 11, 2016

Alrighty. Just watched. I LOVE the results but I don’t think I’d have the patience to do my entire head of hair. Maybe. Maybe once this dang humidity breaks and it wouldn’t all go crazy when I went outside. I’ll give it a try.

13. Meagan says
    Posted September 8, 2016

This looks s great! I don’t know if I would have the time or patience to do this style though!

14. Tammy says
    Posted September 8, 2016

It looks like you have product in your hair prior to curling as the curl really stayed put. What did you use? So cute – can’t wait to try!

15. Emily M. says
    Posted September 8, 2016

This would take me approximately twelve and a half years to do, but I love it anyway. Your new blonde looks great, too!

16. Lori Beth Kelley says
    Posted September 8, 2016

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! Cannot wait to try it on my hair!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

17. Kim says
    Posted September 8, 2016

I love the look of this hairstyle! Great tutorial!

Kim

http://bit.ly/2cdNPwo .. August Favorites!

18. Abi says
    Posted September 8, 2016

Obsessed with this!! Thanks for sharing, Kate. So excited to experiment!

19. Abigail says
    Posted September 8, 2016

I was skeptical when I saw you style that first section, but the end result is really beautiful! It’s nice to change it up from traditional curls.

20. Jaimie says
    Posted September 8, 2016

I LOVE the end results, but I don’t have the patience to do this with my hair!

21. Debbie says
    Posted September 8, 2016

Must admit, my natural hair texture is happy because it gets pretty close to this look if I put it in a turban, let it down, and let it airdry. (Minus maybe some volume at the crown.) I guess I’m part mermaid, lol!

22. Jan says
    Posted September 8, 2016

What product did you have on your hair before you curled your it….. was this clean hair?

23. Melissa says
    Posted September 8, 2016

I love this look! I recently got this deep waver to do the same look in less time. It works great, takes practice but I love it! I even use it behind the chair often. https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Tools-2179-Tourmaline-Technology/dp/B003AKHQG8

24. Kelly says
    Posted September 8, 2016

Can you recommend an alternative to the Oribe product? It’s very hard to get in Canada. I also agree with some of the other commenters that said it looked like you may have had product in your hair before you started. What did you use? Thanks!

25. Ashley says
    Posted September 9, 2016

Hi Kate! I love this tutorial! Definitely giving it a try. It looks like you already have product on your hair, could you share what you used beforehand? Also, what color is that nail polish? It looks perfect for summer/fall transition!

26. Jennifer says
    Posted September 9, 2016

Would you recommend this Babylisspro curling iron over a hot tools one?

Posted September 10, 2016

They are both pretty great, I don’t think one is better than the other actually.

• Jennifer says
        Posted September 10, 2016

Thanks!

27. Natalie says
    Posted September 10, 2016

This is such a great tutorial! I’ve always been curious on how to get waves likes this, so I’ll definitely have to try this out for myself now that I know how to do it. Thanks for sharing!

Natalie
    thecityandsea.com

28. Sasha says
    Posted September 10, 2016

I really enjoy your posts and thank you for all of the great information. What is the best drug store root cover up that you would recommend? I just want to do my own in between getting my hilights done. You are just precious and thank you again!!

29. Loretta says
    Posted September 10, 2016

You never said what you used in your hair before you started or did you not use anything?

30. Heather says
    Posted September 12, 2016

I was so excit3d to try this! I’ve been thinking about trying a 3 barrel iron but didn’t want to buy one and have it take up room in the abandoned hair tools/products cupboard if I didn’t like it.

I however failed at this :(.when I took the iron away from the hair it looked either like it had never been there or had kinky lines where the bend should be. Tried drowning it in hairspray for later attempt, still no go. Had to resort to traditional curling method. I have a good 400 plus degree curling iron & used the same products I use when I curl waves in, any ideas?

31. Kara says
    Posted September 24, 2016

This style is the perfect answer for my hair! The bottom layers of my hair do a beachy wave, but the top layer never does as well. I can use this technique on the top layer and it blends right in with my natural curl. Thank you for helping me enjoy my natural hair again!

32. Posted October 14, 2016

This styling technique is perfect for the hair my clients are looking for. I will certainly be reccomending this tutorial to them! I have been loking for a good wave spray aswell, so ill def check out the Oribe Beach Wave & Shine Spray.

Cheers!

33. Paige Duren says
    Posted November 27, 2016

Kate,

Your hair is beautiful! I love the natural wavy hair. In my opinion I believe the natural look is more flattering than tight curls made from a curling iron. I found your technique to get the waves interesting and different. I will definitely have to give it a try. Personally I have a wand which I use to curl my hair. Do you know a way to do natural beachy waves with that? Right now I curl my hair with the wand and then comb through it to release some of the curls. Do you think this gives the same outcome as your video above does? Thanks for sharing the video and tips!

34. Sabelle says
    Posted March 24, 2017

Do you have any tutorials for a wash and wear type look for leaving your hair all down, but not having the texture look “crunchy” from whatever hair products you used? Something that people on vacation could do when going from the beach/pool to dinner, but don’t want to spend too much time on their hair

35. Lynn says
    Posted April 1, 2017

My hair length barely brushes the collarbone and this worked great! Only three or four “presses.” Thank!

• Lynn says
      Posted April 1, 2017

Thank you!

36. Janelle Belles says
    Posted April 3, 2017

Hi, Kate…
    On this tutorial, what did you use in your hair prior to giving it waves? My hair is very thick and this technique did not work so well for me. I had washed and dried my hair the day before but had not product in it aside from Redken Frizz Control. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

37. Posted April 5, 2017

Kate, I never would have thought to use the curling iron like this!! I love it so much.