How to Color Match Foundation

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

From what I can tell, choosing foundation and lipstick seems to be the hardest and most intimidating things for women who aren’t terribly comfortable or interested in makeup.

And I totally get it. Lipstick can feel really foreign and intense if you aren’t used to wearing it, and there are roughly a million shades and finishes of foundation that it can seem daunting to even start the search!

I love trying cosmetics, testing out new foundations is always fun for me, but if you are looking for your first foundation, or simply just want to discover the absolute best one for you, I’m sharing some tips to do just that today!

I had the pleasure of meeting and working with Teighla Norris on this shoot. She’s a makeup artist and hairstylist, and I’d highly, highly recommend her if you’re in the Raleigh area!

I asked her to come in and help my friend Joanna color match a foundation, and share a few of her tips for applying foundation as well.

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

The most ideal spot to color match is along your jawline. It’s easy to compare the shade with a flat part of your face (your cheek area) so you don’t run into shadows from the light hitting your nose or chin.

“It is truly life changing when you match your foundation exactly.  A correctly matched foundation disappears onto the skin leaving your skin looking naturally enhanced and flawless and leaves people wondering if you even have it on.  No more orange jawlines!” says Teighla.

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

If you aren’t sure of your undertone, often pink or yellow, try lining up 2-3 foundation shades, one more pink and one more yellow, to see how they compare to your skin. Stand near a window for natural light, and see which matches best.

One of the most common ways to determine your undertone is to look at the veins on your wrist. If they look blue, your undertone is likely cool. If they look green, you probably have more warm tones to your skin. If you can’t really tell, you may be right in the middle at neutral. This article expounds on undertones more if you want to check it out!

Joanna’s skin is cool toned, and Teighla ended up using the first shade of foundation that she swiped. The second one was too light, and the third was too yellow.

Oftentimes I buy foundation from Ulta, Sephora, Nordstrom or Target, and they all have great return policies. So if you aren’t able to test out the foundation in store, which you can do everywhere but Target, keep in mind that you can return it. It’s best to look up each store’s return policy before you buy.

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

I used to err on the side of a touch too light than too dark for foundation, but I’ve learned that too light can be really terrible. It can look quite ghostly in photos. Take the time to find the right color for your skin, even if that means something a bit darker in the summertime and lighter in the wintertime.

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

Teighla also has some great advice for applying foundation. She says, “Start with one pump.  Applying with a foundation brush helps you to achieve an even coverage of foundation.  Go back with a DAMP Beauty Blender to make sure it’s completely blended and to blend in concealers.  When using the damp beauty blender it is best to use a stippling motion so that you are not wiping off the makeup.  I blend the foundation down the neck to be sure that the neck and face match.”

Personally, I like to start near the center of my face and work my way outwards when applying.

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

Doesn’t Joanna’s skin look just radiant? She’s glowing, but still looks really natural and not overly made up!

I wish you the best of luck in finding your idea foundation shade, and really hope these tips help!

Huge thanks to Teighla Norris for doing makeup, Jordan Maunder for shooting, and Leslie-Alford-Mims House for providing a beautiful atmosphere!

For more tips on foundation, here is why I recommend using a foundation brush to apply, and my favorite foundations based on coverage.

1. Michele says
    Posted August 29, 2016

All of this is why I tend to make trying makeup in store the last thing on my errand list. Otherwise, I wind up going to other places (than just home) with other colors smeared on my face!

I think you, your sister, and all of your fabulous friends should get an RV and drive around the country doing makeovers for people like the What Not To Wear crew! Wouldn’t that make a great TLC show (or at the very least a better TLC show than bringing back Toddlers and Tiaras or Say Yes To The Crew Sock)?

• Jessica says

I LOVE THIS IDEA! Haha!

2. Meredith says
    Posted August 29, 2016

So of the 3 choices on her face which one was chosen?

Posted August 30, 2016

Just added that to the post! Sorry I missed it! She’s cool toned and Teighla chose the first shade.

3. Chrissy says
    Posted August 29, 2016

Which color did she end up using? And is she considered cool, warm or neutral?

4. Posted August 29, 2016

I don’t normally wear foundation, but when I want to purchase some, I never know how to. This is so great! Thank you! 🙂 I also sell LipSense if you would like to review the product on your blog! It’s a long-lasting lipstick that isn’t a stain! 🙂 Message me for more details!!

5. Kayley says
    Posted August 29, 2016

After reading this post, I think it would have been more helpful had you included what skin undertones your friend has. Is she cool, neutral, or warm? What foundation of the three on her skin did the makeup artist choose and why? These two details would be really beneficial.

6. kate says
    Posted August 29, 2016

Great tips and lovely photos!

7. Jen P says
    Posted August 29, 2016

Great tips as always! As an aside I’ve been watching your snaps, I feel your pain with the cold sore situation! I get them also a couple of times a year and they are so miserable. My dentist prescribed Zovirax pills, u take them as soon as you feel a cold sore coming on and I have found that it doesn’t even develop, or if it does it lasts one to two days and is way less painful and noticeable. I just keep the pills refilled and at the ready. I wish someone had told me about this years ago, so I’m passing it along to you! Love your blog and snaps!

8. Rachel says
    Posted August 29, 2016

Same comments as above! Is the model cool, warm or neutral? Which of the 3 shades sampled on her face did the artist go with? This type of info would be helpful. 🙂

9. Posted August 29, 2016

I’d love to know which of the three shades was chosen for her.

10. emily says
    Posted August 29, 2016

Which shade was shown for her? Was she cool/neutral/warm? And which shade was which tone?

• emily says

picked, not shown *

11. Andrea says
    Posted August 29, 2016

I love these tips and I agree that finding a foundation that matches is so hard. I always think it matches but the lights in the stores make the foundation shade look different!

12. Emily says
    Posted August 29, 2016

Thanks for this post – I also always wonder if it is the correct shade.
    Which foundation color did the use.

Also, I recently cut my hair and would love to see a tutorial on a model with shorter/shoulder length (straight) hair of a few styling and/or curling options. Something to consider…Thanks!

13. Stacy says

Joanna is so beautiful!

14. Shannon says
    Posted August 29, 2016

What products were used to achieve this natural, glowy look?! I would love to try and recreate it. Her skin looks beautiful!

15. Jessica says
    Posted August 29, 2016

This is probably a dumb question, and maybe it’s supposed to be obvious, but which of three colors did Teighla end up using for Joanna?

16. Kelsey says
    Posted August 29, 2016

I have NEVER found a foundation that matches my skin tone. I mean never. It’s tough being pale with olive undertones. Someone offer to do the shopping for me, please?

17. Posted August 30, 2016

Definitely need to keep this for when I purchase my next foundation! Thanks for sharing!

18. AmieS says
    Posted August 30, 2016

I agree with many of the comments above…..more info on this please! what color was chosen? In one picture I thought it would be the foundation on the far left, but then in another photo I thought perhaps it was the one in the middle.

19. Cassie says
    Posted August 30, 2016

Where is Joanna’s necklace from?

20. Calee says
    Posted August 30, 2016

This is a great post! Just what I’ve been needing and looking for. Thank you Kate!

21. Jocelyn says
    Posted August 30, 2016

I didn’t even notice that Joanna had three shades on her face until you mentioned it; that first shade blends in so well! Joanna, you look great! Thanks for the tips, Kate. 🙂

22. Kylie says
    Posted August 30, 2016

which foundation was used? I didn’t see it in the post. thanks!

23. Layne says
    Posted August 30, 2016

What brand of foundation was used for the final look?

24. Katie says
    Posted September 1, 2016

I really love this post because matching foundation is SO tough to do! Conveniently, I have super pale cool-toned skin that looks pretty identical to Joanna’s, so you’ve done most of the work for me 😉

I will say, though, that with skin like hers, Joanna really doesn’t need foundation. I’ve been watching JKissa’s makeup tutorials on youtube, and while I don’t think I’m brave enough to try ANY of her looks, I really appreciate the fact that she just wears undereye concealer and really embraces her natural skin. I’m trying to do the same and I’d LOVE some pointers on how to match concealer to your natural skin (instead of to your foundation), especially without the undereye appearing too bright and mask-like. I’d also love some tips on blending it out… I’m using a beauty blender, but it’s still patchy sometimes.

25. Liz Zambrano says
    Posted September 1, 2016

What brand foundation was used on her?

26. Shauna says
    Posted September 2, 2016

Great post and very helpful! It can be very easy to choose the wrong shade of foundation x

Blushhx

27. Lyn says
    Posted September 2, 2016

Joanna is beautiful, and I thank you for the post. But honestly, I don’t think even the chosen foundation is *perfect* for her. A perfect match (and there’s bound to be one out there somewhere for everyone!) should completely disappear on the face when swatched. Just my humble opinion!

28. Tiffany says
    Posted September 8, 2016

I always, but always, have problems in getting the right foundation for my skin tone. Especially in summer, when I get a little tanned and I must change it. I have a really greasy complexion, which adds an extra problem to my concerns. But thanks to you, now I am more confident that I will find the appropriate foundation. I am really grateful for this tips!

29. Amy says
    Posted September 13, 2016

Where is her necklace from?

30. Posted September 20, 2016

Eee PC T101MT is the best choice for those who expect to appear for really not a true tablet but additionally the convenience of your
    laptop. The downside to AC adapters for laptops would
    be the truth they differ from 1 model for your other. Beste laptop student There might be several reasons behind wanting
    a whole new laptop, the main one being only to get rid of it.

If you might be struggling monthly to pay
    your two mortgages, it’s not at all intelligent or wise to buy video games, Wii’s,
    laptops, big screen TVs, expensive cuts of meat or a whole new SUV.
    Lenovo Laptop Z570 Series (59304896), the Z series Idea – Pad
    i.

31. Lonnie says
    Posted October 7, 2016

Not an L’Oreal fan anyway, I’d prefer Revlon or Rimmel because their products are easy on budget and way better.

32. Liz says
    Posted August 22, 2018

Thanks for the great info, Kate! What about for people who tan easily. I always find that my face is lighter than my skin (probably from using daily SPF Mosturizer) but I don’t want it to look that way. Do you suggest matching foundation to the chest/neck area ever?