Athleisure Hair

athleisurehair4

The ticket, I have kind of figured out, to athleisure is to basically get somewhat ready for the day but then put on mostly athletic clothes. And I’ve also learned that there is a difference between the clothes you wear to work out in and the clothes you wear for your athleisure look.

This top, for example, will not be something I wear to bootcamp, but I’m totally living in it during these hot summer days!

My makeup stays simple on days when I’m going to be wearing an athletic outfit. I try to look natural, but just a little bit more made up than if I was wearing no makeup at all.

And while my default is to pull my hair up into a messy bun, I’m trying to explore some new options! I’ve caused a bit of breakage from too many high messy buns, so I’m going a little easy on my already fragile locks!

For this look, I just tied the hair in a single knot, and used a few pins to hold it in place.

athleisurehair

And for this, I twisted two sections, and as I worked my way down I added in more hair so it turned into a sort of deconstructed french twist!

athleisurehair-3

Wearing my hair a little different helps me feel a bit more ready for the day, too! I very much prefer wearing comfortable clothes that allow me to move and play with the boys versus being worried about messing up a nicer shirt, so I’m embracing this trend full on.

Read about my new workout routine here, and see some favorite workout gearΒ here!

1. KellyG says
    Posted June 30, 2016

Kate. I love your style and your attitude. I guess I am just to set in my ways. I don’t understand the athleisure style of dressing. My brain won’t stray from – if you are going to work out, wear work out clothes; if you are not working out, wear “normal” clothes. I don’t get this style just like I don’t get the yoga pants outside of a yoga class, or pajama pants outside of the house. Maybe it is my mother’s voice in the back of my head telling me this. Who knows? I commend those can that pull this look off (as you certainly can and I am sure it is more comfortable running after two little ones in comfy clothes then in jeans and a blouse). Have a great Thursday!

• Melissa G says
      Posted June 30, 2016

I’m with you there. I think there is a BIG gap between athleisure wear and “a nice blouse”, as you say…like jeans and a tee. You can’t beat $5-8 Merona tees from Target. Not to mention that athleisure clothes aren’t flattering on all bodies.

• Arijana C. says

I am with you!

2. kate says
  3. Alyssa says
    Posted June 30, 2016

I love these! I often resort to a braid when I’m feeling like my long hair is getting too tangled and crazy, and I love the idea of trying more of a twisty braid!

4. Candice says
    Posted June 30, 2016

These are really cute I battle to braid my hair haha

Beauty Candy Loves

• Dianne says
      Posted October 5, 2016

Me, too! I haven’t tried any of the braiding styles because I don’t have the knack for it.

5. Posted June 30, 2016

I love the athleisure trend! These hair styles are perfect for a “workout ready” look.

Hope you have a great Thursday!

xoxo- Danielle Davis

6. Arijana C. says
    Posted June 30, 2016

I could never pull the simple braid look, no matter how many times i tried. The hair simply wouldn’t stay in the braid and after few hours, there was no “style”. I have since chopped my hair off for the summer but will let it grow out for over fall/winter.

7. Amanda says
    Posted June 30, 2016

Hi, Kate! This is a really dumb question, but what do you mean by “I’ve caused a bit of breakage.” I wear my hair in a messy bun pretty much 90% of the time (low-maintenance problems), and I’m just wondering what the signs are of breakage. Do you mean split ends or what? Love these looks! (And the athleisure style is basically my life. Love it.)

8. Jennifer D says
    Posted June 30, 2016

Athleisure = Yes! Schumpadinka (Oprah’s term) = No! I am wearing athleisure right this minute since I’m working at home today. If you are unsure of the trend, this YouTube video (valid link, no spam or malware) will inspire you πŸ™‚ Cheers – Jennifer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRENWT8lz8

9. Reva says
    Posted June 30, 2016

YES. Thank you for coining the term athleisure hair πŸ™‚ love it.

Does your hair stay in those beautiful loose braids while you’re chasing around your boys? I think mine would slip right out. More texture spray? πŸ™‚

10. Posted June 30, 2016

Kate, I love the hairstyles. In the summer, I tend to take on this style for sure. I’m a 2nd grade teacher in Durham, NC and when I’m out for the summer, this is my style. I always get a hait compliment whenever I use one of your hair tutorials as my guide. I am a mom of 3 boys who keep my very busy and your hair techniques save me a lot of time. While I’m on here, I’d like to give a shout out to our VBS. If anyone is close, we have the Submerged VBS, July 11-15th fron 6:30-8 @ Bethesda Baptist Church. Come check it out!

11. Shasta says
    Posted June 30, 2016

I can never pull off the cute hair looks you post. My hair is so fine and thin that it just looks stupid or is falling out of the style within 30 minutes. Oh, to have hair that would actually do what it’s told!

• Kristan says
      Posted July 1, 2016

Ahhh same here! Not to mention I cannot wrap my head around braiding my own hair behind my head.

12. Kristin says
    Posted June 30, 2016

Have you ever tried Aveda? My salon uses it and I love it. It styles my hair without feeling like there’s too much product in it and it smells amazing. From what I understand, the Aveda Invati line might help with the breakage from messy buns…but to be honest I’ve never used it (Invati) so I’m not completely sure. I just thought I’d throw that out there. I love your blog, Kate!!

13. Andrea says
    Posted June 30, 2016

These are so pretty! I’ve been loving the athleisure look and these hairstyles would match perfectly!

14. Leslie says
    Posted June 30, 2016

Where is your top from in these pics? Super cute back!

Athleta!

• Jennie says
      Posted June 30, 2016

There is a link in the post above

15. Sophie says

Cute hairstyle. Sophie x

stylestarsandsparkle.com

16. Ali Vizzo says
    Posted June 30, 2016

Just saw your snap about the alarm clock for David. We have an owl that does the same thing! We got it for my 3.5 year old when she was probably David’s age, mostly because it sang and stayed lit while she fell asleep (she was having some darkness issues). After a while, we needed the “green light wake up” option too. It has made our lives so much easier! Not only so she knows (and loves) when it’s time to wake up, but because it makes bedtime easier when we can just say “see you when owl turns green!” She knows there will be a more concrete time period for bedtime, instead of the abstract “morning.” Hope David loves his alarm clock just as much!

17. Lauren says
    Posted June 30, 2016

You HAVE to try Calia by Carrie. It’s a little pricy, but there’s usually pretty good sales on a lot of the pieces. The quality is amazing, and everything is really cute.

18. Kam says

Kate,

What color nail polish are you wearing in your snaps today? So pretty!

• Heather says
      Posted June 30, 2016

Yes please, I am loving that color.

19. Ali says
    Posted June 30, 2016

Hey Kate! Any chance you can write a post on hair breakage? Perhaps your readers would be interested in knowing what it looks like, what causes it, how to avoid it, and how to treat it. I default to a ponytail every.single.day. (Mostly bc it keeps Mommy’s hair out of baby’s reach!) Unfortunately I have lots of hair breakage around my hairline and neckline (not to mention the permanent dent from the elastic. Yikes!). Once some hair damage has been done, what do you recommend doing to get it healthy again? Would like to read your thoughts sometime. Thanks!

20. Angela says
    Posted July 1, 2016

What type of bra do you wear with a top like this one?

21. Susan says
    Posted July 1, 2016

I agree with KellyG…I don’t understand wearing workout clothes when you are not working out.

22. Katie says
    Posted July 4, 2016

I love the braid/twist look but couldn’t get it to work..it all unraveled immediately, especially the tail…any tips?

23. Mel says
    Posted July 5, 2016

So pretty and perfect for summer. Just love it.

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com