1 Braid, 2 Ways to Finish The Style

2ways

I didn’t take a magical pill to make my hair grow really fast, I’m just wearing extensions. But now that I think about it, taking a magical pill to make your hair grow 10 inches overnight would be crazy and also makes for a kind of good “would you rather scenario”.

Would you take a pill to make your hair grow 10 inches ONLY if it meant. . .

1. that you could never shave your legs again?
  2. that your breath always smelled like you just ate a Caesar salad? <– I would have divorce papers served to me in this case.
  3. that you could only talk in a sing-songy musical type voice for the rest of your life.

I think I’d take the pill and not shave my legs. I’m blonde so I can get away with it.

Anyway, the point of this post is not to see how badly you want to grow your hair out. Heck, you may even want to chop it like my friend Rebecca did last night, but I wanted to show you 2 ways to pull your hair back with a braid if you do, in fact, have long hair!

I’m wearing Bellami extensions that I’ve had for years and almost never use. I’m not even sure of the shade that I bought. I quite dislike the feeling of extensions on my head and find them to be a bit fussy. Anyway, they are good for demonstrating long hair tutorials so let’s get into it!

Option one is a side pony.
faceoftheday-1-2

faceoftheday-1

faceoftheday-2-2

faceoftheday-3

And option two is a soft, messy bun on the opposite side.

faceoftheday-3-2

faceoftheday-4-2

faceoftheday-4

faceoftheday-5-2

faceoftheday-5

faceoftheday-6

faceoftheday-7

faceoftheday-8

faceoftheday-9

You should know by now that I LOVE seeing photos of your takes on my tutorials on Instagram! Tag #smallthingshair if you post a pic!

ps. A great way to start your hair and another braid tutorial.

1. Taylor says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Love! Have any good advice how to get the cute side bun? I feel like when I try that it’s super floppy and not cute!

2. Alyssa says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Kate, THANK YOU! I think I just found my wedding hair style. I love the pony look!

3. Posted February 18, 2016

I’m hopeless at doing these on myself.
    But they are so lovely!

• Katie says

Same here!!

4. Amanda says
    Posted February 18, 2016

I have very thin hair, so if I could take a pill and wake up with full hair, I’d gladly take all 3 options!

• Stephanie O. says

SAME!!

• Katie says

Lol, me too!!

5. Martie says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Love them both, but the side bun is my fave. I may give it a whirl! I always have little pieces escape my braid and it drives me bonkers, but seeing it on you, it’s cute when that happens! Maybe I just need to go with it? Thanks for these. I have gobs of hair, so if I could share it with some of you less fortunate, I would. Then you could keep shaving! Lol!

6. Elainea says
    Posted February 18, 2016

These looks are sooo cute! Love the bun one; so practical to get everything up & out of the way but still look adorable. Thanks for sharing!

Elainea
    toast the girl almighty

7. Liz F. says
    Posted February 18, 2016

I was gooing to say I wouldn’t choose ANY of the options for long hair overnight. But then I saw the messy side bun and reconsidered–I guess I would opt out of shaving my legs. I could wear pants all the time! familyoffoley.wordpress.com

8. Bethany says
    Posted February 18, 2016

I love these both so much!! About to try one out now. My hair is thick and long, so more tutorials of you in these extensions would be amazing!! Maybe you have more, but I’m new here, so I’ll have to search through your archives. πŸ™‚ I’m just curious how was your hair “fixed” before this? Did you have product in it? The front looks a little curled?

• Cynthia says
      Posted February 18, 2016

I agree! Loooooong and thick hair I’ve here too. I love all of Kate’s hairstyles, but most fall flat after a couple hours.

9. Lauren says
    Posted February 18, 2016

So pretty! You make this style look so easy! I really love the side pony look!

Fizz and Frosting

10. Posted February 18, 2016

ok I need that shirt! Please tell me you got it recently!

11. Brittany D says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Yesssssss! Thank you for enduring the extensions to create a longer hair tutorial! I love your styles, but they never work for my long, thick hair.

12. Posted February 18, 2016

This is awesome! I have super thick, long hair and it can be difficult to find styles that will STAY. I love both looks! Thank you!

13. Destiny says
    Posted February 18, 2016

This is gorgeous! I wish my hair was long enough to braid right now.

14. Tegan says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Kate! I am having a hair emergency (and being slightly dramatic about it!)!

I had blonde highlights in my hair but decided I wanted to be closer to my natural hair color for my upcoming wedding in July. So, I started the process early and had an ash/neutral brown solid color put on my hair last week (the end goal is to have a few gentle highlights with my brown hair by July). Anyway, my old highlights did not pick up the new solid color very well and they look… ugly. The overall color looks quite warm, and the old highlights will be brassy in no time…
    To make matters worse, my engagement photos are happening in 9 days! I was wanting a neutral or slightly cool color, not warm and brassy. What do I do? Will a toner over top of the new color help? I’m not usually so dramatic about my hair, but the engagement photos will be around forever!
    Help!
    Thanks πŸ™‚

15. Tina says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Adorable! Your pictures are great and the extensions look so natural!

16. Lauren says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Love the messy bun! I laughed at the “Would You Rather” scenario. I would definitely choose not shave my legs. Although lately my husband has been answering my questions in a jingle (I don’t know) and I think together we would be like a walking musical. Could be interesting! Or terrible.

17. Posted February 18, 2016

I can’t take that pill I have dark hair. I wish I could because I have the most annoying bob right now. I don’t know what to ever do with it.

18. Lindsey says
    Posted February 18, 2016

I did the first look on my hair today and I’ve already gotten several compliments! Thanks for inspiring me to do something fun with my long-ish hair – I’ve been wanting to chop it all week out of boredom!

Lindsey
    Cestlaviesaidshe.com

19. KB says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Can you make a video tutorial of how you curled you friends Rebecca’s short hair? I have been trying for months to achieve this look, but have given up at this point. πŸ™ thanks!

20. Evelina says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Both looks are stunning!! And I think I would take the caesar salad option. I could still chew gum to try to mask it!

21. Rosa says
    Posted February 18, 2016

This is so beautiful and romantic! I think my husband will love this πŸ™‚

22. Lizzie says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Where did you get this shirt???

• Heather says
      Posted February 19, 2016

It’s on the J Crew Factory website πŸ™‚ I love it too!

23. Annie says
    Posted February 18, 2016

Please share a video on your friends curled bob!

24. Natalie says
    Posted February 19, 2016

Your long hair is beautiful! Love this tutorial by the way.

Natalie
    thecityandsea.com

25. Posted February 21, 2016

I love this tutorial! How do you take you photos? Do you have someone take it for you?

26. Posted February 23, 2016

Yep, you are the queen of the messy hair do’s without a doubt πŸ™‚ I love this tutorial and still can’t believe how long your hair is, well jealous πŸ˜‰

27. Amy says
    Posted February 25, 2016

I love these looks! Do you have any tips for how to use the clip-in extensions? I just bought some for fullness (my hair is already fairly long) and I need to practice using them first.

28. Cheryl says
    Posted February 26, 2016

I like this, will have to show it to my husband, he braids my hair for me. I don’t need to take a pill because my hair has grown out. This crazy (like a fox) lady let her new boyfriend trim her hair after going close to a full year without a haircut because the salon screwed my hair up so badly. I told him I wanted long hair, but extensions were not in my budget. He told me I could get mine long, he would dust the ends for me regularly to remove the splits and it would grow. Started at my collar bone and not it reaches to my waist. He likes it long, as I think every straight guy does, so he braids it for me before work, going out doing chores etc. that braid doesn’t look too difficult, I have gotten my guy to learn the French, Dutch, fishtail and French twist braids. I love the way braids look, very sophisticated and so many different options with my hair that I didn’t have when I was stuck with one style when my hair was cut short.

29. Melissa says
    Posted March 3, 2016

Super cute and stunning hair styles! I also like how you incorporated a video to teach us fellow bloggers πŸ™‚ Awesome post.

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com

30. Posted March 17, 2016

OMG you’re so pretty! Both the styles look wonderful but love the side braided pony especially. Too beautiful πŸ™‚ xoxo