How To Revive and Refresh Hair for Day Two

daytwo

Somedays I can’t be bothered to wash my hair. It just ain’t gonna happen.

And if I want to wear it down and styled, there are some different steps I take to compensate for the fact that I already applied products and styled it the day before!

In this tutorial I’ll share tips for reviving day 2 hair by using dry shampoo, dry CONDITIONER, and what kind of products and methods to utilize on day 2!

DSC_0417

daytwo_thesmallthingsblog-1

daytwo_thesmallthingsblog-2

daytwo_thesmallthingsblog-3

daytwographic

I used Pureology Dry Condition (awesome for straight hair!) and Living Proof PhD Dry Shampoo for refreshing the hair. The Amika Digital Titanium Styler and GHD Classic Curve Iron 1.25”.

My top is old from Lou & Grey.

1. Laura says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Oh, Kate, this is absolutely perfect timing! I woke up this morning, and the baby was already stirring, so I had just enough time to shower without even close to enough time to wash and dry it. Granted, I’m dealing with *ahem* day three hair now, but I’m going to go give your tips a shot! Wish me luck! 🙂

2. Mallory says
    Posted December 7, 2015

I’m assuming this is a judgement free zone so I’ll go ahead and tell you that I’m on day 6 of no hair washing (did you just make a “that’s gross” face?), live in the humid south, plan to go until day 7, don’t have kids to blame, and honestly feel like dry shampoo came straight from the heavens instead of the manna God talks about 😉

• Melissa G says
      Posted December 7, 2015

I’ve gone that long before!!:). I play it day by day. 3 days is the shortest amount of time, but the longer I can get, the better!!

• Mallory says
        Posted December 8, 2015

Is it weird that I take pride in how many days I can go without washing? And a small piece of me dies if I wash before day 4?? #braggingrights

• Arijana C. says

I so wish i could go 2 days without washing my hair let alone 6!!! I envy you 🙂

• Mallory says
        Posted December 8, 2015

? the follow up comments are cracking me up! Day 6/7 weren’t pretty but I did a “cute” pony and called it a day!

• Andrina says
      Posted December 7, 2015

You go girl! I’m down south too and even with dry shampoo (which is just about the best since sliced bread) I can’t get to day 3. Actually, I’m pretty itchy on 2, even after the dry shampoo.

• Pep says
      Posted December 7, 2015

I have a friend (who also lives in the South, BTW!) who can get away with a once-weekly wash. I am green with jealousy. I wash every other day.

• Brittani says
      Posted December 8, 2015

No judgment here. I don’t wash my hair till day 7. Ever. My hair is naturally curly and it does so much better if I don’t wash it every few days.

• Amber Morey says
        Posted December 8, 2015

I have been trying to embrace my curly hair and make the most of it, but I can’t go two days without washing if I wear it curly. It’s so unruly and not-hot mess like on the second morning. Care to share tips???

• Sara A says
      Posted December 8, 2015

Well…also it’s not healthy to wash your hair everyday. When you do you’re going to need to wash it more often because it strips your natural oils. The more you wash oddly leads to you having to wash more often because your scalp becomes more oily prone. Your scalp will balance itself out with the right cleanser and less washing.

• Shannon says
      Posted December 21, 2015

I have thick curly hair, so when I get a blow-out I try to go as long as possible. I have definitely hit that 7 day mark! I have dry hair, so nobody can tell except the people who know when that blow-out happened. 😉

• Kelly says
      Posted April 24, 2016

Hey you should review Onesa Hair extensions. They are fabulous and I’ve had them for almost 1year and three months old

3. Melissa G says
    Posted December 7, 2015

I’ve never used dry conditioner…actually never heard of it! My hair is very similar in style to your sisters. Would you recommend this for that length hair? Or is it better for just longer hair? Does it have the possibility of making the hair greasy?

4. Posted December 7, 2015

I do a similar routine when I have day two hair, but don’t use a dry conditioner…sounds like a good addition!

5. Lisa Davis says
    Posted December 7, 2015

I am going to try this! But will it work for oily hair? I wake up in the morning and I feel like my hair has just been smothered in oil.

Posted December 7, 2015

You’ll have different challenges but dry shampoo and sleeping with your hair in a high ponytail to keep it off your scalp will help!

6. Posted December 7, 2015

Do you have any tips on preventing or getting rid of ponytail hair? I have two 11 month olds that love to pull hair so I have to wear it up but hate having to commit to hair up all the time.

7. Posted December 7, 2015

I love this, another great tutorial! Xo, Stephanie

8. Kenzie says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Any tips for helping with static hair on day two? By the middle of day two I’m pulling my hair up because I can’t deal with the static!

Thanks,
    Kenzie

• Sara A says
      Posted December 8, 2015

Dryer sheets. They’re magic on static in hair. Simply run it over your hair takes out the static and smells good as well.

9. Michelle says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Awesome video! Any tips for naturally curly second/third day hair? My hair is very curly so naturally I do not brush it!

• Amber Morey says
      Posted December 8, 2015

Ditto on the curly hair tip request!

10. ellen says
    Posted December 7, 2015

I would kill for your “slept in” hair! Great timing, and great tutorial.

11. Rachel Bjorkman says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Hi Kate! I loved this video, so helpful! I’m looking to purchase a curling iron… I’ve been using a wand, but I love how soft the curling iron makes your hair look. Any suggestions? 🙂

12. Posted December 7, 2015

Love this tutorial! I definitely don’t want to wash my hair everyday 🙂

13. Amanda says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Hi Kate! You’re hair tutorials are fantastic and have really helped me up my hair game! Thank You!! Haha I do have a question I am hoping you can shed some light on! I notice a lot of tangles underneath my hair around the nape of my neck. I’m not teasing underneath but toward the end of the day it’s like my hair is one giant knot underneath. Our lengths and layers are similar. Do you encounter this as well? Is there anything I should or should not be doing to prevent this?

• adrianne says

I get this, too.

I have found that if I start at the nape of my neck when I add conditioner, it helps a TON. I think that I wasn’t adding enough moisture to that section of my hair (most of the conditions ended up at the top of the hair) and it was just getting dry and tangled.

I occasionally rake my hands through my hair, starting at the nape, throughout the day, too.

• Amanda says
        Posted December 7, 2015

That makes a lot of sense! I was wondering if it was a dry issue. Thanks!

14. Allie says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Do you have any advice re: dry shampoos that won’t make my scalp itch like crazy? My hair is definitely on the oilier side so I use it quite frequently, but the itching drives me up the wall some days! I’ve been using Batiste’s dry shampoo… I just wasn’t sure if they’re is an ingredient I should try to avoid when purchasing?

15. Amy says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Kate, love this tutorial. I’m hoping I can find some of this dry conditioner here in Canada…hopefully Sephora sells! I recently heard from my hair stylist that dry shampoo should be used after you have washed/dried your hair, then use the dry shampoo. What’s your take on that?? I had never ever heard that before, and have always used the next day (like you do) but I can see how it maybe helps to use the first day too to absorb the oil before it starts? (me just guessing here.)

16. Kim says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Your hair is so beautiful! Thank you for the tips!

Kim

http://trendkeeper.me .. GIVEAWAY!!

17. Yumiseer says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Wow, you are pretty, live the way you are showing the details… I like what you do. But feel you must also write on life style products

18. Valter Jackson says

Lovely…

19. adrianne says
    Posted December 7, 2015

That flat iron tip is FANTASTIC! My hair has a lot of natural bend toward the ends, but the top gets pretty fizzy over night. (I do sleep on a silk pillow case, which has helped this issue and improved my skin tremendously!). The flat iron does the trick! I have some hair regrowing, and it helps smooth down those sections, too!

I always learn something new from your tutorials!

20. susan says
    Posted December 7, 2015

The less I wash my hair, the better it is. Thanks for the tips!

21. Leslie says
    Posted December 7, 2015

I’ve never had decent enough hair to go more than 1 day without washing and drying my hair. During the summer I can because I just throw it up and be done. I try every product you suggest so I can not wash daily, but I just don’t look presentable, my hair is a “hot mess!”
    I must be using the dry shampoo incorrectly??
    Now if I can figure out 2nd day hair and a great messy bun I’ll have everything figured out!!!
    Help!!!

22. Posted December 7, 2015

Love this, your hair looks amazing! I need to do this asap!

23. Christina Brunk says

Hi Kate,
    My 9 year-old has very oily/greasy hair on the 2nd day (she shampoos every other day). The ONLY thing that works (even marginally) is baby powder! Her hair at the ends is fine but at the scalp (top) looks horrible on day two. Can you recommend a dry shampoo for me to get for her? Not too pricey as I am not sure she will even agree to use it…
    Help!
    Christina

• Melissa G says
      Posted December 7, 2015

Christina…my 12 year old Dtr is the same way. A couple years ago she started using Neutragena Anti Residue Shampoo. It has helped dramatically! We do occasionally use dry shampoo. I tend to stick to the less expensive stuff for her…Dove Dry Shampoo. However, she’s a blonde. The Dove is too light for brunettes!

24. Alyssa says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Great tips! I typically go 3/4 days between washes, but cannot figure out how to revive it after a workout. I don’t have oily hair, so I don’t need to wash, but I can’t get it back from a ponytail or bun! Do you have tips or thoughts?

25. Leslie says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Do you use or recommend using a heat protected spray before you blow dry or curl?

26. Christina says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Another wonderful tutorial … I oddly have to comment though on the aesthetics of your recent video posts … Was going to say I enjoy your background music choice because I feel like I’m at Hobby Lobby 🙂 also I miss your posts where you’re in your bathroom or office or what have you (where it’s not a blank canvas? wall? behind you…) for some reason these vids feel more staged and not as natural? Not sure if I’m making sense … I’ve been following your blog for a few years now and of course will continue to do so. Just thought I’d give some friendly innocent feedback. 🙂

• Christina says
      Posted December 7, 2015

….and then I watched your Nov favorites video and now I feel like an idiot. ?

• Breanna C says
      Posted December 9, 2015

I feel the same way! I know her friend records them now, but I actually like the “recording it myself in the bathroom” way of doing it. Her friend videos things well. but I like the feel when she did them herself because it feels like a “girlfriend to girlfriend” way of doing things. Haha hope that makes sense.

27. Evelina says
    Posted December 7, 2015

I have always only used a dry shampoo, never a conditioner! Thanks for the tip!

28. Beth says
    Posted December 7, 2015

Can I ask a weird question that’s not related to the hair in the video? What do you use to time-lapse your video? My middle school students are making “How-To” videos, and some want to speed up their videos of their painting, french braids, etc. Thanks!

29. Kelly says
  30. Sarah says
    Posted December 7, 2015

have you tried Amika’s dry conditioner?

31. Julie says
    Posted December 7, 2015

In desperate need of some advice: no matter WHAT I do, half of my hair always falls flat. The left side, gorgeous and holds the curl, the left, straight. I have naturally wavy, incredibly thick hair and am just at a loss. I love full curls but they always fall so I go for a ponytail.

I’ve asked my hairdresser and she always swears by HotSets, but when I use it, my hair is sticky and stiff. Ummm, gross. So I’ve tried blow drying it in, per another friends advice, and it doesn’t nothing.

I’m mainly using drugstore products, but I’m willing to try something else. I work at the lovely Target, so if there’s anything you’d recommend from that fancy professional hair care aisle, that’d be wonderful since I could use my discount! 🙂

Please tell me there is hope!! Desperately trying to keep my curls,
    Julie

32. Bárbara Rossi says
    Posted December 8, 2015

Hey Kate, I’ve met your blog like a year ago. I never left a comment or so, but now I have insomnia, so why not? Hahaha
    Just wanted to say that I love your clear and your concise “favorite lists”, and seeing your videos make me totally trust you, because it definitely shows that you understand the subject and explains in a proper way (not like we’re retarded and stuffed with dully details, like sooo many other youtubers)
    Thank you for being you and keeping up with your blog 🙂
    Beijos e tchau,
    Bárbara

33. Lori g says
    Posted December 8, 2015

What kind of brush did you use in the video?

34. Cameron says
    Posted December 8, 2015

You look so young in your “slept on hair” picture!

35. Posted December 8, 2015

Thanks so much for these tips Kate! Will be great for lazy holidays. Love your blog!

36. Christine says
    Posted December 9, 2015

LOVED the tutorial! Why did I never think to turn down the heat on my flat iron to help with frizz?? I think it is time for me to buy a silk pillowcase, any suggestions??

37. Christy says
    Posted December 9, 2015

Hi! I didn’t know about the “dry conditioner”, I’ll have to try that out because it is so difficult to make my straight hair still look clean on days 2-3. It always ends up a greasy mess.

Christy D. @ Belle Blogs

38. Shanna says
    Posted December 10, 2015

I have a love affair with dry shampoo, but I’ve never tried a dry conditioner! Have you ever discussed teasing combs to use? I’m never sure what to look for, but I’d like to have a good one.

39. Amy says
    Posted December 10, 2015

I have hair that seems to be about the same texture and almost length as yours. I use a root spray, dry it upside down, then curl, use a texture spray, and then kenra vol. 25. If I use a 1 inch Iron my hair looks “too curly” if I use a 1.25 Iron my hair will not hold the curl. Any suggestions?? I live in the south and humidity is definitely an issue, but not typically this time of year!

40. Lisa says
    Posted December 17, 2015

The dry conditioner from this post really does make all the difference. Thank you for posting step by step hair tutorials. I was a tom boy who never learned how to do all of these little tricks. I did the loose waves and looked great!!!

41. Posted December 18, 2015

Love your hair and what you do with it. Do you have any tips on what to do against hair loss? Also, how do you have such healthy looking hair while using hot tools? My hair immediately starts breaking off after using a straightener.

42. Nicole says
    Posted December 19, 2015

Hello! I’ve been waiting to go try the living proof dry shampoo and yesterday finally bought it. I used it this morning and got three sprays out of it before it stopped working. Almost like its clogged but it doesn’t look clogged. Is this normal? I had this happen with another dry shampoo before but not during my first use! Help! Is there a trick to it?
    Thanks!

43. Sarah says
    Posted January 18, 2016

Kate, how long does the smaller bottle of Living Proof dry shampoo last you? I’m definitely interested in trying it! I love all your videos, btw! 🙂

44. Linda says
    Posted February 24, 2016

Hi Kate, i revive and Refresh my Hair follow your video tutorial. And using dry shampoo, dry CONDITIONER in this morning. Now I really love my have, many thanks.

45. Tracey says
    Posted March 1, 2016

HI Kate!

A quick question about your curling iron. I noticed in your previous posts that your curling iron of choice was the “Hot Tools” iron.

Can you provide a comparison between this and the GHD iron used in the video? Have your preferences changed? I have very fine hair and am currently using a chrome iron but would like to upgrade.

Thanks!

46. Kate says
    Posted July 30, 2016

Why do you not answer the questions??? I am interested in hearing your answers

47. Posted October 31, 2016

Excellent web site you’ve got here.. It’s hard to
    find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate people like you!
    Take care!!

48. Kaitly says
    Posted December 24, 2016

I’ll share tips for reviving day 2 hair by using dry shampoo, dry … hair!) and Living Proof PhD Dry Shampoo for refreshing the hair.

49. Alyssa Ringeisen says
    Posted January 20, 2019

My hair is similar thickness/color and length as yours, what temperature should I set my curling iron to? I know it varies, but I don’t know what range I should be looking into!

Thank you!

50. Mary says
    Posted June 2, 2019

I went to buy Pureology Dry Conditioner and found out it’s discontinued! What would you recommend to replace it? Thank you!