Hair Makeover, Julia’s cut

jmo

juliascut_the small things blog-1

I was 98% excited to give Julia a new cut, and 2% sad about cutting off her beautiful blonde locks! Isn’t her hair gorgeous? Almost as gorgeous as she is.

Julia hadn’t had a real haircut other than trims and layering in 7 years. SEVEN YEARS. That sounds like me actually, except now I’m growing my hair out instead of cutting it off constantly.

Anyway, she texted me asking my thoughts about a new length that she had in mind and I basically forced her to let me do it as long as she would let Jordan film the whole thing. She obliged and we did the big chop last week.

Hope you enjoy the video!

A few before shots:

juliascut_the small things blog-2

juliascut_the small things blog-3

juliascut_the small things blog-4

And the new ‘do!

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

I love how much it completely changes her look. It looks fresh and exciting! Her hair was absolutely beautiful before, but it was time for a change and this look that she went for was perfect for her!

The entire video and all photos were shot by Jordan Maunder. Don’t know what I’d do without her. And big thanks to Julia for letting me get my hands in your hair and give you a new cut!

1. Rena says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Although I understand your sadness due to the lost curls I must also say that she looks simply wonderful with her new cut <3
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

2. Rachele says
    Posted September 2, 2015

More of this kind of stuff, Kate! You really shine when you’re behind the chair. I feel like it brings out the best in you (from a creative standpoint).

• Sarah says
      Posted September 2, 2015

I second this! It is really helpful for me to see you style someone else’s hair, too. It’s a different point of view that helped me understand how to do it all better. Thanks!

• Leigh Ann says
      Posted September 2, 2015

agreed! more of this, Kate! I would love to see more videos like this with an instructional component. I would love to cut my little boy’s hair and learn how to give him a basic clipper cut, but I’m obviously not going to beauty school to learn to do it. Or show us basic little girl haircuts or bang trims. I know the bulk of hair cutting should be left to the professionals, but I think any mom can learn to do her kid’s hair or give herself a bang trim!

3. Lauren says
    Posted September 2, 2015

As a hairdresser myself i really enjoy watching videos like this!

P.s. I love your shirt, where did you get it?

• Julia says

Anthropologie! It’s the glimmered tee and I have it in three colors! 🙂

• Lauren says

Thank you!

4. Ashley says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Loved her hair before but also loving the new cut. That length is gorgeous and just what I want to grow my hair too 🙂

5. Lathan says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Love this cut! How would I explain it to my stylist? Is it slightly longer in the front?

• Chrissy says
      Posted September 3, 2015

Yes – it’s basically a long swing bob with long layers. She face-framed the front also. Make sure she point cuts the ends like Kate did so as not to have a hard edge = more blended & flowing layers. Beautiful!!
      I would just show her a pic of the finished style above – she’ll know what to do! 🙂

6. Posted September 2, 2015

Love her new look! You did a great job. And Julia looks fresh with the new cut – and it’s still somewhat long.

7. Laura says
    Posted September 2, 2015

You’re right, beautiful either way, but this little lob looks amazing on her!!!

Laura

8. Kara says
    Posted September 2, 2015

That came out stunning! Excellent job. I’m also a hairstylist, and love this long bob (lob) haircut so much, it’s so easy to style and maintain. ?

9. Kristen says
    Posted September 2, 2015

The video came out so great! Her new haircut is so pretty. It looks great with her face and I love how you styled it. Such talent you have!

10. Sherry says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Absolutely LOVE her hair !!!

11. Debbie says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Have you ever done a cut for someone donating to locks for love? My hair is around the length of her after, and I feel like if I had a clearer idea of just how long I need to grow it to end up with a cute cut after, it would be useful.

12. Vanessa says
    Posted September 2, 2015

While I love her hair before, it looks beautiful after as well! So much life to it! Great job Kate!

13. Jaimie Rogers says
    Posted September 2, 2015

She looks great! I so wish we lived near you… I would totally be a regular! Lol

14. Brittany says
    Posted September 2, 2015

This hair cut is beautiful! I keep saying that I’m about to get my hair cut again but I’ve had such mixed experiences with my hair stylists I’m pretty apprehensive. I have type 3B curly hair that’s sitting about 6 inches below my shoulders. It’s fairly long. What sort of cut would you recommend for someone with my type of curl and/or what should I look for in a stylist. I stumbled upon my current stylist, and she’s a wonderful person, but she’s more than an hour away from me and I’m not sure what to look for when it comes to searching for a new stylist. She’s also just trimming and redoing my layers. I haven’t had a major change in hair style in about 6 years.

15. Posted September 2, 2015

I really just did this on Saturday! My hair was almost exactly like Julia’s and I transitioned to the exact same thing – thank you for sharing – I’m more confident that I made the right choice!

16. Janna C. says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Her hair was beautiful before but WOW that cut made it even more beautiful!! Love this post/video and hope you will do more like this in the future! 🙂

17. Posted September 2, 2015

I absolutely love the new look, really suits you! x

Ciara Rose | AllureImpassionedGoddess

18. Victoria says
    Posted September 2, 2015

I just did this a few months ago after baby #1 arrived. I too had my hair long and layered (trims only!) for YEARS. It’s a great (yet big!!) change, isn’t it? Looks lovely! Fabulous job, Kate.

19. Jennifer says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Cute cut! You both could be twins! Where is her silver shirt from? I love it!

• Julia says
      Posted September 2, 2015

It’s the silver glimmered tee from Anthropologie! It’s a great shirt!

20. Keely says
    Posted September 2, 2015

I love the cut. Can you tell us what you did so I can tell my hair stylist?

Also, Kate, where is your shirt from? Really cute!

21. Sarah says
    Posted September 2, 2015

I really enjoyed watching this video … thanks for posting! The new cut is so fresh and modern!

22. Maradean says
    Posted September 2, 2015

It’s really fun to see you working on someone’s hair. Love the haircut.

23. M says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Lovely cut! I’m going to cut my long hair soon, and I’ll definitely consider this as an option. Kate, I love your shirt! Where is it from?

24. Stacy says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Loved this video! She looks beautiful!

25. Michelle N. says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Love! Love the fullness/volume around her face, it makes her look younger!

26. Posted September 2, 2015

I have serious hair envy! SO pretty!

Her Heartland Soul

27. jodi says
    Posted September 2, 2015

I’d love to know more details about the cut and what to ask for at the salon to mimic this cut. Also, I’m curious as to what it looks like without being curled? I don’t have that time in the morning and would love to see this straight.

Beautiful!!

• Erin says
      Posted September 3, 2015

I would love to know this same thing. Sure looks great on everyone I see it on, but really nervous about doing it myself. I’ve had the same cut for years…layered, side swept bangs, and that’s about it!! Need a change, but don’t want to go short.

28. Natalie Palmer says
    Posted September 2, 2015

So fun to watch! I was sad to see her length cut but she looks great either way! Wish my hair would grow faster! Mine is about the length she has now and I want Disney princess hair!

29. Sara says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Thank You for the great posts and tutorials. Would love to see more hair cutting tutorials such as this. Well done!

30. Posted September 2, 2015

can I be that totally annoying fan and ask what color fingernail polish you are wearing? 🙂 of course we want to know ALL THE THINGS. ALL THE TIME 🙂 thanks!!

31. Marcia says

Kate!
    Please start a makeover reveal segment! When you travel somewhere you can have a city drawing for a makeover! p.s. Please start in Chicago.

32. Marcia says

Kate!

33. Carmen says
    Posted September 2, 2015

can you tell us what type of hair she has? fine, thick, textured?? I have been wanting a similar cut, but my hair is sooooo fine, i feel like it will fall flat! thanks!

34. Posted September 2, 2015

Cute haircut! Love the color and curls!

35. Sara h says
    Posted September 2, 2015

What a great cut! Come to CT to refresh my look ?

36. Posted September 2, 2015

Seriously In love with the cut! It looks stunning xx

37. Rachel says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Do you have any tips on styling stick straight hair this way? My hair is the same length as her new ‘do, having chopped my long hair off a little while ago, but it’s stick straight. I love the beachy waves but I can’t seem to get it to stay in my hair and I feel like it takes forever to achieve that look just to have it fall out less than an hour later. Any tips?

38. kayla says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Wow! I love it! Her hair was equally as gorgeous before as it is after! Amazing transformation 🙂 I just cut about 6 inches off my hair after having long hair basically all my life and it is such an adjustment. It’s strange styling short hair when you have never had it before! Needless to say…I can’t wait for my hair to grow back haha

39. Amanda says
    Posted September 2, 2015

love this so much! What size curling iron did you use in this style? Thanks, Amanda

40. Cathy says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Love this! Your cutting techniques remind me of my hair dresser in KS. I am back in NC and I miss my KS girl! She could really cut hair! I wish you were in still in the business at a Salon cutting hair and taking new clients. Love your blog!

41. Kell says
    Posted September 2, 2015

It looks gorgeous either. I also would like to know if you cut it slightly longer in the front? I desperately need a cut but can’t decide if I only want an 1-2″ taken off or more.

42. Jenny says
    Posted September 2, 2015

Omg her long hair is like the hair of my dreams, the hair I’ve never been able to have! The length she has now is what I’m shooting for. I think it’s such a reasonable length for any type of hair. It looks really great on her, and I bet she loves the shorter blow dries!
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

43. Suzanne says
    Posted September 2, 2015

This cut is what I aspire to but never go home with! What words can I say to my hairdresser? I say “long layers with textured ends” but I always get straight across the back with slithered front sides. Maybe because he always sees me with my hair flatironed (because that is all I can with with blunt cut hair) that is how he always cuts it.

44. Rae says
    Posted September 2, 2015

You should do a hair makeover once a month on the blog. I was excited to see the end result! Fun video.

45. Ann says
    Posted September 3, 2015

Gorgeous!

46. Posted September 3, 2015

Although I really like her long hair I believe that her shorter her really gives a fresh look!x

chapter-fifty-nine.blogspot.co.uk

47. Chrissy says
    Posted September 3, 2015

Beautiful! <3
    I was wondering what kind of shears you are using? I am in the market for a new pair and trying to do the research to see what other stylists recommend 🙂 Thx!

48. Karen says
    Posted September 3, 2015

Her finished look is beautiful. It looks exactly like some of your (Kate’s ) Pinterest and photos I’ve seen of your own hair styles.

49. Posted September 3, 2015

Love it!!!

50. Mariana says
    Posted September 4, 2015

Seriously I like long hair, but after watching your totorial, makes me want to try it.
    Thank You for the great posts and tutorials.

51. Jenny says
    Posted September 4, 2015

Love it! What should I ask my hairdresser for to get that color?

52. Molly says
    Posted September 5, 2015

Kate, it was so nice to see you in what one would refer to as your “natural habitat” behind the chair.

You could see how much you enjoy helping other peoples beauty shine thru with your talent!

53. Mary says
    Posted September 16, 2015

Fine hair question—- How do you get fine hair to stay in place all day? The “do” looks good at the beginning of the day, but it droops as the day goes on. Not to mention humidity and what that does to fine hair. What products are good to use? What is the best hair cut? I have fine curly hair and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Help!

Thanks so much!

54. Kerrie says
    Posted September 22, 2015

Wow she looks fab with the new do! I also love how your before shots included makeup and the same lighting! A lot of before shots are done with dingy backgrounds, terrible make up and posture and then the afters are mostly editing those yuck features out, which distort the actual before and after. But this one is perfect, you have kept everything the same except for the new do and the difference is incredible! Love it x

55. Katie says
    Posted November 4, 2015

I love this cut! I am going to get my hair cut tonight, I hope it turns as good as hers did! =) I really like this post Kate, I hope that you will do more of these type of posts in the future.

56. Kim says
    Posted April 22, 2016

I love the large painting of flowers in the background. Can I ask where you got it. It’s just what I need. Thanks.