JoAnna’s Baked Oatmeal

I have a friend, JoAnna, whose son is nearly David’s age. She was one of my client’s when I was working behind the chair, and we became better friends as we went through pregnancy at the same time and ultimately both had boys in December of 2013.

It’s been really fun to see our boys grow up and develop over the last year or so, and compare notes and strategies to get through things like growth spurts and teething. And we could celebrate milestones together too, like sitting and walking!

She’s expecting again (another boy!) and I can’t wait to see the madness that will ensue in a few years when we get all 4 boys together for a play date.

BO

Anyway, she gave me this oatmeal recipe when I was trying everything to make breastfeeding work with David. Oats are rumoredΒ to help with milk production, and this was also an easy way to get your extra 500 calories a day that I’m told you should be consuming if you are nursing.

But lactating or not, this is a delicious way to start the day!

JoAnna’s Baked Oatmeal

3 cups Old Fashioned Oats

1/2-1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

1 cup milk

2 eggs

2 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp salt

_

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. Mix all ingredients together in a oven-safe dish.

2. Bake for 30 minutes.

Serve with warm milk, berries, or your topping of choice!

bakedoatmeal-1

1. Mila Dempsey says
    Posted April 8, 2015

So glad you shared this recipe! I’ve got a 5 month old son and have been looking for a new oatmeal recipe. Excited that breastfeeding is going so much better for you this time! πŸ™‚

2. Missy says
    Posted April 8, 2015

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!!

3. Laura says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Can’t wait to try this…sounds delicious!

Laura

4. Posted April 8, 2015

Wow, this sounds awesome! I’ve already pinned it for this weekend!

5. Katrina says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Ugh, this is perfect! Can’t wait to try it

6. Catherine says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Yum! I am currently eating oatmeal and hoping to lactate more right now! πŸ˜‰ No, really… My boy is three weeks old and we are having lots of trouble breastfeeding so I feel the pain–literally–that you had with David. Oh so much pain. πŸ™ A lactation consultant is coming over in a few minutes to try and help us out. My poor little dude already had a lip and tongue tie surgery, I currently have vasospasm/Raynaud’s (in my boobies), and breastfeeding is just way too painful. If breastfeeding doesn’t work out, I will try not to be too devastated. Anyway, thank you for the recipe and for being open about your journey with breastfeeding. I am so happy to hear that it’s going better for you this time around with Luke. πŸ™‚

• Beth says
      Posted April 8, 2015

A few visits from an LC helped me soooo much; I hope you find some quick relief from the pain and a plan for moving forward πŸ™‚

• Adrianne says
      Posted April 8, 2015

I had vasospasms when I first began nursing my son. They are intense! I hope that the LC can help you with latching issues–but they may tell you, as my midwife did, that the vasospasms take a while to heal. They DO get better, though! We have been nursing 10 months now and I haven’t had any issues in a few months.

PS: Oatmeal FOR SURE boosts supply– it can’t possibly just be a myth. I swear, it makes me practically burst the next day!

• Catherine says
      Posted April 9, 2015

Thank you, Beth and Adrianne! πŸ™‚

7. Jeannie says
    Posted April 8, 2015

This sounds delicious! How many servings would you say it makes?

about 5-7?

8. Christina says
    Posted April 8, 2015

I have a much healthier oatmeal recipe I love! It is an individual serving.

1 ripe banana
    1 c strawberries (I use frozen organic)
    1/2 c old fashioned oats
    1 oz walnut pieces
    cinnamon to taste

Put everything in a bowl with 3/4 c water, and microwave for 2 minutes at a time, stirring in between. After 4 minutes, see how the oatmeal is setting – might need to put it in the microwave for another min or 2. Let set for about 5 minutes before eating. It’s delicious!

• Tammy says
      Posted April 8, 2015

Your recipe sounds good, but oatmeal, bananas, and strawberries all contain a high amount of carbs. Kate’s recipe with 2 eggs balances out the carbs with a good dose of protein which balances out blood sugar spikes in the body.

• Christina says
        Posted April 8, 2015

The walnuts are very high in protein, and I also have a cup of soy milk with it. I’ve lost over 40 lbs eating this for breakfast every morning – and I’m diabetic. The sugar and butter in the post recipe are way too much “bad” fat to balance anything out.

• Tammy says
          Posted April 8, 2015

FYI…Walnuts are a very heathy food and contain about 4 grams of protein per ounce whereas 2 eggs contain 12 grams of “complete” protein. There is no fat in sugar. Between the banana and strawberries there’s approx. 40 grams of carbs, that’s a lot and doesn’t even include the carbs in the oats.

• Christina says
            Posted April 9, 2015

But you have the fiber in the fruit to help you digest it. The recipe posted is not healthy with that much sugar and butter. I mean, it looks delicious, but I don’t think it’s an every day kind of thing.

9. Evelina says
    Posted April 8, 2015

That looks delicious! Oatmeal is so good on a chilly rainy morning (like today!)

10. Aryn says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Im going to try this today! I have a 10 week old that I’m nursing every couple of hours during the day so this will help! What’s the easiest way you’ve found to store it and reheat?

Posted April 8, 2015

I just store it in tupperware in the fridge and reheat, with a bit of milk, in the microwave!

11. Jenny says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Thank you for the share! I love oatmeal in the mornings, though I usually go for instant oatmeal. I think I could easily make this the night before and heat it up in the mornings πŸ™‚ Looks delicious. I love adding vanilla extract and cinnamon to my oatmeal!
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

12. Jessica says
    Posted April 8, 2015

This is a keeper recipe. I am expecting in August and the first time really dedicating myself to breastfeeding. I am going to try this recipe tomorrow. Ill be adding apples!

13. Amanda says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Yay! I am going to make this tomorrow, trying to boost my supply as well! Does the butter need to be softened or melted?

Posted April 8, 2015

melted! I’ll update the recipe!

14. JoAnna says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Yay!! Like you said, nursing or not, it’s just the yummiest/easiest way to start the morning! I still make it on occasion. And yes, I’m sure “madness” will be an understatement when it comes to having our 4 boys together, but I can’t wait!! πŸ™‚

15. Megan says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Lucky me, this was the first thing in my Facebook news feed when I popped on this morning. It made such a delicious breakfast for both me and my two-year-old! Plus she loved getting to help make it, of course. Keeping this recipe around!

16. Emma Walker says
  17. Heather says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Where is that adorable bowl from?

18. Meg says
    Posted April 8, 2015

I’m going to try this! My two year old loves oatmeal. I may try subbing coconut oil for the butter and see how that works. Thanks for the great idea!

• Meg says
      Posted April 12, 2015

Update for anyone interested–I tried this with about 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil in place of the butter, and about 1/3 cup egg whites in place of the eggs–it was awesome (tasted like an oatmeal cookie to me) and helped me use up some things! My 2-year old loved helping, or as he put it, “I made it all by myself and mommy helped me.” πŸ™‚ Great, straightforward recipe to make with my early riser before my coffee even kicked in. Thanks again for sharing the recipe, Kate!

19. Lisa says
    Posted April 8, 2015

Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I’ve been checking daily and hoping that you would. This is perfect!! It makes mornings so much easier!

20. Emily says

Love your blog!

Also, this looks like a simple, yummy breakfast idea. Will have to give it a try!

Emily.
    Zuzankosjournal.blogspot.ca

21. Katie says
    Posted April 9, 2015

This looks like a delicious breakfast! With raspberries and chocolate chips on top…

22. Gina says
    Posted April 9, 2015

After being down and out with the stomach flu for 3 days I have to say this is the only thing that even appealed to me. I made it as soon as I read this yesterday and it was perfect and hit the spot. πŸ™‚

23. Tyana says
    Posted April 9, 2015

that looks so yummy

check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    cityofglitter.com

24. Heather says
    Posted April 9, 2015

This recipe sounds delicious and will surely come in handy when I attempt to nurse my second boy in A few weeks! My only question is what size baking dish do you use for this recipe? Thank you for sharing!

25. Posted April 9, 2015

This will make a good breakfast on a chilly morning

26. Rachel says
    Posted April 11, 2015

It’s in the oven now! Perfect Saturday breakfast for me & my almost 2 year old. Can’t wait to try it!!

27. Meredith says
    Posted April 11, 2015

Made this oatmeal this morning and it was FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing– I’ll pass it on to other friends!

28. Lindsay says
    Posted April 14, 2015

How long does it keep in the fridge? It is so yummy!

29. Amy says
    Posted April 15, 2015

Holy cow! I made it this morning and it was absolutely delicious! Thanks for posting!

30. Lauren says
    Posted April 28, 2015

Any suggestions for getting in oats when you don’t like oatmeal? Smoothies are as far as I’ve gotten…