Capsule Wardrobe Fall & Winter 2014

I think I’ve pretty much completed my capsule wardrobe. I even incorporated some color because I’m sneaky like that.

The goal here is to take “thinking about what to wear” out of the equation. Getting dressed has never been a really challenging thing for me (I like clothes), but I’m all about keeping things simple these days. I also want the challenge of thinking creatively about my outfit based on what I have, instead of shopping to try to “fill” the creativity hole that can happen when I wear the same thing over and over.

I tried to buy strategic pieces that will grow with me as my belly grows, but I may need to adjust based on how large I’m getting.

What is included: tops, some outerwear that really completes an outfit (not just regular coats), shoes, and pants/denim.

What is not included: loungewear, athletic wear, jewelry, tights, scarves & other accessories, and bags.

topsupdated from top left: one (similar), two, three (I did not order maternity), four (can’t find online), five (via Marshalls), six (a pea in the pod, cannot find online) seven, eight (similar), nine, ten, eleven, twelve (cannot find online, similar), thirteen, fourteen, fifteen

dresse

one, two

shoes

from top left: one (no longer available), two, three (similar), four, five, six

PANTS

from top left: one, two (similar), three (similar in black), four, five

(I’ll try my best to update with “similar” items for any items I have that aren’t linked. I was surprised by how much I couldn’t find online, or it was purchased on sale so it’s no longer available!)

In total I have 27 items here, and Caroline suggests including 37 items. So, if I need to add some larger tops to the mix as my pregnancy progresses, I’ll be sure to update them in this post!

My goal is to share my outfits of the week every friday here on the blog. Perhaps you’ll find a bit of inspiration in working with what you have based on my experience with it. To be completely honest, I’m a little concerned that I’m going to get bored in about a month, but we’ll see what happens!

You can read any other posts I’ve written about the capsule wardrobe here!

1. Carmen says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Can’t wait to see how you work those mauve pants!! So excited! Is your hair ombre yet?

2. Lindsey says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Happy Friday Kate, I am so excited to see the outfits you come up with every week. I have missed seeing your fashion posts. My daughter is a year older then David so I am looking for some cute & budget friendly Mom cloths suggestions!! Have a great weekend 🙂
    Always enjoy your blog,
    Lindsey

3. Sarah says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Wait a second– you said no loungewear was included in the capsule wardrobe– ahhh please tell me you still do or will wear loungewear!? How would you ever survive a pregnancy without loungewear?! LOL! just kiddin. 😉 great post kate! 🙂

of COURSE, I just mean I’m not counting it as an “outfit” 🙂

4. Haley says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Kate – I love this idea and I’m thinking about trying it. Simplifying is always a good thing! I will be watching to see how this works out for you!

5. Ashley says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Completely unrelated to the clothing… What color paint do you have on your walls? I’m building a house and in love with that color!

6. Emma says
  7. Amanda says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Hi Kate! This looks great!!! I love neutrals… I feel like they look especially flattering on blondes. 🙂

I’m 22 weeks pregnant with my second baby (my first is 15 months old), so I’m right there with you, with kiddos close in age!

I have one question I’ve been wanting to ask about maternity clothes, since I’m in the process of building my own maternity wardrobe (my old maternity clothes were for the opposite seasons)… What have you found to be the best fitting, most comfortable, most flattering maternity tees??? I want to buy a few basic long-sleeve or 3/4 tees in neutral colors for layering or just wearing with jeans, but everything I’ve tried is either too sheer or doesn’t hold up in the wash, etc. What do you think?

THANKS! 🙂

Posted October 24, 2014

I really like the shirts from A Pea in the Pod. They are often running promos too! Hold up MUCH better than Old Navy and I find Gap’s too thin.

• Nicole says
      Posted October 24, 2014

Gap Maternity was amazing for the basics!!

8. Janna C. says
    Posted October 24, 2014

I have been a daily reader of your blog for two years and I have enjoyed it so much! One thing I have missed recently have been your outfit posts because those were a favorite of mine that I always looked forward to seeing on your blog…so I am super happy that you will be having some outfit posts soon! YAY!!! 😀

• Monica says
      Posted October 24, 2014

Me too!!! Especially because I have a six month old and #letsbehonest stuff just doesn’t fit like it used to!

9. Wendy says
    Posted October 24, 2014

I started doing the wardrobe capsules too this fall, and just to reassure you: you won’t get bored! It is so much simpler to combine when you haven’t got 150 pieces to choose from. Like you I like neutrals and added a bit of color. Not so much on the bottoms ( like your mauve pants!..but hey..according to the theory you should have one trendy, crazy or statement piece in your stack of pants, tops, shoes, skirts etc., so you did well! 😉 )
    I find it amazing how easy it is to dress every morning. I guess too many choices can be just too overwhelming. So I keep them in lots of boxes under my bed, waiting to be checked out when I will choose my winter wardrobe capsule.
    Love to see some photo’s on Photo Friday!

10. lilly says
    Posted October 24, 2014

where do you get the velvet hangers with clips for pants/skirts? What brand are they? Thanks!

love the neutrals on your capsule with a hint of color during fall/winter.

11. Posted October 24, 2014

I’m building my FIRST capsule wardrobe this weekend and super excited 🙂 Thanks for introducing me to this awesome concept!

12. Sasha says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Are you going to post pictures of yourself in these outfits? I’d love to see how you incorporate accessories for a final put-together look!

13. Krista says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Looking forward to seeing how you style these! I love all your options!

14. Posted October 24, 2014

I’m looking forward to these posts!

15. Abby says
    Posted October 24, 2014

I’m pretty sure 85% of my wardrobe was lounge wear during my pregnancies haha!

16. Tyana says
    Posted October 24, 2014

the shoes are so cute and I love the jean jacket

check me out

xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

17. Sarah says
    Posted October 24, 2014

After you posted about the capsule collection a couple months ago (I think?), I totally want to try this! I’ve started following Carolyn and Audrey over at Putting Me Together. She just had a baby and shared her maternity capsule a few months ago (http://www.puttingmetogether.com/2014/07/how-to-build-capsule-maternity-wardrobe.html). Anyway, reminded me of you. Super excited to follow your progress to see how it goes! Good luck!

18. Posted October 24, 2014

This is such a good idea. I constantly have to problem of remembering everything that I have to see what can go together. I’m definitely going to try this for the winter. PS. I love all your striped tops!

19. Adrianne says

This looks great!

Wondering how you’d review those Nine West booties. Comfy? Durable? I’ve been on the look-out for a new pair to replace last season’s worn-to-shreds booties, and I love these, but wonder if they were, in your opinion, worth the investment?

Thank you so much… for all of the bloggy things, as always.

20. Posted October 24, 2014

I’m so intrigued by capsule wardrobes! I recently just did a huge overhaul on my closet and got rid of a ton of stuff, so now I’m trying to keep things more simple and buy pieces that mix and match really well with other things I already have. I may have to try this out soon!

21. Sara says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Those suede booties are a dream! Love!

22. Lauren says
    Posted October 24, 2014

I’m so excited to see this post. I am also building my capsule wardrobe. Looking forward to your first outfit post. 🙂

23. Emily says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Your 27 piece maternity capsule wardrobe blows my regular, ho hum, everyday wardrobe out of the water. I can’t wait to see how you put all the pieces together!

24. Marissa says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Thanks for sharing this! I am 16 weeks pregnant and trying to get my wardrobe together. We have super similar styles and color palettes, so this is definitely helpful! 🙂

25. Anon says
    Posted October 24, 2014

Kate, I’m in Canada so the Nine West link does not work. Can you (or someone else) tell me the style of your desert bootie so I can search for it? Thank you! Great capsule!

26. Kari says
    Posted October 24, 2014

I am trying so hard to do the capsule wardrobe. It is making me rethink how I look at what I own and how and when I buy clothes (so emotional). I’m also trying to do this to my sons wardrobe. Who knew a 3 year old could have so many clothes! Thank you for the encouragement!

27. Posted October 24, 2014

I want to try a capsule wardrobe so badly! I’m a little nervous about it, but I love the colors in yours, especially the stripes. I’m all about neutrals. Have a great weekend!

28. Trudy says
    Posted October 24, 2014

I’ve always had the opposite problem: I always wear the same thing time and time again. I hate clothes shopping but accessory shopping is my <3. It's my "treat" every payday :D. With six kids, treats are important!

29. Posted October 25, 2014

those booties are adorable!

30. valerie says
    Posted October 25, 2014

This is a really cool post. I’m trying for baby 2 and I find myself randomly thinking of that rubbermaid tub with my maternity stuff in it. I have serious doubts if I’m going to love that stuff when the time comes. This will be wonderful post to refer back to.

31. SaraS says
    Posted October 26, 2014

Ugh… I hate grey. It washes out any kind of light skin tone.

Navy is good, but you should wear more pinks, yellows and blacks. Grey – ick.

32. Sarah C says
    Posted October 27, 2014

I love this. Just discovered Caroline’s blog a couple of weeks ago, via a friend and am loving that everyone is coming out with Capsule wardrobes. Can’t wait to see how you piece everything together!

33. margaret says
    Posted October 29, 2014

Hello Kate, I have just recently started watching your tutorials and I want to thank you so much. I am not good at doing hair styles and you have made them Lot easier. I am still not able to do the Bobbi pins but I am trying. But I also recently sent you a message because I just got my hair done and I told my stylist exactly what I wanted like you said your hair was. I told her I wanted blonde highlights and a few caramel lowlights and my stylist has known me for over 20 years and due to that she argues me and she will tell me that’s not what I want and as much as I tell her it is she still does what she wants. I also showed her a picture of your hair and she did not listen and did what she wanted. But now my hair has so much orange brass thru it. I told her she needs to fix it and she refuses. She works in a salon and I paid 90.00 to have my hair done. Can you please give me some advice on what to do and how to fix it? I would greatly appreciate all your help and any advice you have for me. One more thing. I recently had major back surgery about 10 weeks ago. Could that have any effect on why it turned out orange?

• Maria says
      Posted October 30, 2014

Margaret where do you live ?? You prob need to spend more for your hair. Unfortunately that has been my experience.

34. Chelsea Scott says
    Posted October 30, 2014

I love the capsule wardrobe idea. I saw it on Un-Fancy and I see your doing it too.. I’m only a few weeks behind you in my pregnancy, I really wanted to do one for winter, butttttttt being tired got the best of me! haha. I really hope I can do it in January and be able to find some things and make a good wardrobe from jan. to march! Love all of your outfits by the way!!!! Totally my style!