The Triple Twist

tt

This was sort of an accidental hairstyle. I was filming another one but I didn’t like how it turned out, so I played around with my hair afterwards and discovered this look!

It’s a little bit crazy, but you know I’m all about “casual, lived-in” styles.

All you need is some good texture spray, bobby pins, and hairspray.

I call this tutorial “the disaster” in the video, but after I finished filming I reached out to Instgrammers and asked them what I should call it. Some of my favorites were “the tornado”, “triple threat”, or “the birds nest”. There were also a few suggestions like “hot mess” and “rats nest” which may have possibly been insults. . .but I can’t really blame them, can I?

bpt

bpt2

bpt6

bpt3

Β top: Madewell, earrings: Elisabeth Ashlie, lipstick: Anthropologie Azalea

1. Posted June 23, 2014

Seriously, this is a GREAT hairstyle! I can’t wait to try it out.

Thanks for not being disheartened by the idea of the hairstyle becoming a “disaster”, because this is textured perfection. Thanks for sharing!

• Tara says
      Posted June 26, 2014

Agreed! A great style for naturally curly/wavy hair. Can’t wait to try it!

2. Posted June 23, 2014

I love this hairstyle, and it looks great on you!

3. Angela says
    Posted June 23, 2014

This looks awesome! I see this being great for a summer party, BBQ or even a wedding. I love the casual messy yet elegant look. Thanks for sharing.

4. Candace says
    Posted June 23, 2014

Very very cute!!! If only my hair was long enough!!!!! πŸ™‚

5. Becky says
    Posted June 23, 2014

Thanks for the smile and the casual updo. It looks very comfortable and is more desirable, to me, than pony tail holders that pull.

6. Ronni-Louise says
    Posted June 23, 2014

Shabby-chic. Really easy Sunday up do, something definitely for the weekend. Lovely Kate.

7. Erica says
    Posted June 23, 2014

I love how you can turn something less than fabulous into this. Looks great. As all of your tutorials do. As a fellow hairstylist (and anyone who has ever tried to do their hair can relate, I’m sure lol) I understand the frustration of something not quite looking like your vision. Anyway, love your blog. You’re such an inspiration.

8. Amanda says
    Posted June 23, 2014

Such a pretty updo! It makes me want to grow my hair out!

9. Posted June 23, 2014

I love this hairstyle! I think I could actually do this! Love your lipcolor in this video can you tell me what it is? Thanks, xo [email protected] Daily Nest

Posted June 23, 2014

The link is right at the bottom of the post πŸ™‚

10. carmen says

It looks so complex, which is the best. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

11. Posted June 23, 2014

It looks great πŸ™‚ x

books-and-memories.blogspot.co.uk

12. Rachael says
    Posted June 23, 2014

I like that it doesn’t look like it took forever to do. Your hair is spot on!
    It’s a beautiful mess πŸ™‚

13. Jamie says
    Posted June 23, 2014

I think that hairstyle is so adorable, from the front it’s so sleek and you turn around and it’s so textured! I love it!

I think that was the name I called it on your instagram…YAY!

bugsbeans is my instagram name

Posted June 23, 2014

thanks for the name suggestion!

14. Tiffany says
    Posted June 23, 2014

If by “disaster” you mean awesome, then yes. Also. If I ever say, “Dang, I am a mess” to my husband he replies, “Yeah! A HOT mess!” Because, bless his engineer heart, he doesn’t understand that Hot Mess is not a compliment. πŸ˜‰

• Stephanie says
      Posted June 25, 2014

Haha aww that is cute! πŸ™‚

15. Posted June 23, 2014

I love that you have more hairstyles lately. You are brilliant I don’t know how you come up with some even when your trying to do something else.

16. Victoria says
    Posted June 23, 2014

I love it! It’s all business up front but a party in the back!! Like some kind of elegant mullet evolution (ok that doesn’t sound right but you know I mean it with love…)

17. Allison says
    Posted June 23, 2014

Love this style! So gorgeous and not too hard πŸ™‚
    Allison from http://www.mercuteify.com

18. Carrie says
    Posted June 23, 2014

Your hair is so pretty! And so are you! How did you get your hair to look so pretty and textured at the beginning? As another girl with hair that’s straight and often lacking in volume, I’d be happy if I could even achieve that style!

19. Amy says
    Posted June 23, 2014

My name suggestion was one hot mess on Instagram, but I promise I meant it in a NICE way!! I love your tutorials & have had great success styling my hair because of you! I didn’t mean to insult you. Love all your work including this style!

Posted June 24, 2014

Haha, I strongly considered “One Hot Mess” as that is fairly appropriate πŸ™‚

20. Jen Williams says
    Posted June 24, 2014

I’ve now got a hot mess of a disaster on my head. ha! Mine ended up looking kinda fancy “(“I’m so fancy…” darn that Iggy), even though it’s a total twisted mess in the back. My hair is way long, but with some dry shampoo and a bunch of bobbies and some sloppy twists it seems to be holding. Took me 5 minutes max. Thanks for another easy tutorial πŸ™‚

21. Birgit says
    Posted June 24, 2014

I wish my disasters would look like this! I would be very happy!

22. Julie says
    Posted June 24, 2014

Hi Kate, I was able to use many of your long hair tutorials over the last couple of years and they were beautiful but recently I’ve cut my hair into a long bob. With ” The Triple Twist” I am able again to put my hair up because you’ve cut it into 3 steps and to me that means 3 different lengths being pulled back separately!! You are a true artist

23. Hedy says
    Posted June 24, 2014

Love your blog posts! Last time I got a haircut, I took a picture of your hair (down) & I get so many compliments on the hair tutorials (of yours) that I follow!
    I just did my own variation for going to the dentist – twist both sides up and around ears – then turn it into a 3 strand Dutch braid from mid-ear down. It stayed in all day & worked perfect at the dentist! (No messy hair after!

24. Holly says
    Posted June 24, 2014

I like this. I like different ways to put my hair up that isn’t so polished. Just a messy lived in look on causal summer days.

What nail polish do you have on? Its so pretty.

25. Carolyn says
    Posted June 24, 2014

Gorgeous! I’ll have to figure out how I can do this to my long hair. It would be perfect for work days.
    Carolyn | BLOG

26. Melissa Pidal says
    Posted June 25, 2014

I just did this hairstyle and I LOVE it!!! So easy and looks amazing! Probably one of my favs now of your blog!! Thanks for an awesome updo!!!!

27. Carol says
    Posted June 25, 2014

I have NEVER known how to use a curling iron like this,the time I have wasted!!!!
    I am buying one this coming weekend and some products…then LOOK OUT HAIR lol
    THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

28. Meredith says
    Posted June 25, 2014

Hi Kate-love the hairstyle! I commented on your Instagram for the name of this and put hot mess. I did not mean this as an insult at all. I think being called hot is a total compliment. Anyway, I totally love your blog and style. Loft is my fave store ever. Enjoy that precious son of yours! Thanks!

29. Margaret says
    Posted June 26, 2014

First, I love your blog! Since summer is here. Would you consider doing a tutorial for hair styles wearing a sun hat and baseball cap? I would like to feel more confident wearing both. Thank you!

30. Whitney says
    Posted June 26, 2014

I saw this post last night and did the hairstyle this morning. It took me about 15 mins from start to finish and I received MANY compliments today. It is so comfortable because none of my hairs are pulled tight. Thank you! I love your hair tutorials and can’t wait for the next one!

31. Tammie A Lovingood says
    Posted June 28, 2014

Wow! I watched the video and immediately tried it. I was so excited because I loved it the very first time! I try lots of your styles, but they don’t usually work out like I want. This one did! Thanks so much! Maybe I’m getting better with more practice because last Sunday night for church I tried the messy bun with braided overlay and it worked, too! I will keep trying. Oh and David is adorable!

32. Michelle says
    Posted June 28, 2014

Hot mess, that is hilarious, but I love it! My husband is wondering why I am laughing at 2am! So so glad I stumbled onto your blog!

33. Posted July 7, 2014

I’ve never seen them done this way before, can’t wait to try it out! Thanks for this video. I will try this one. read more

34. Posted July 11, 2014

Wow! Very fairy and angelic like. Sepaking of twists, here’s a simple french twist tutorial that I love: http://definingdelphine.com/le-french-twist/

35. Cathy says
    Posted August 23, 2014

Should be called “The Tornado!”

36. Miriam says
    Posted February 11, 2015

Hello Kate. I just tried this and I am shocked by how easy this was and how great it looks! My hair does not feel pulled or stressed or too tight anywhere and the “updo” part took all of 45 seconds! I watched three or four of your tutorials and realize now that it’s all in the prep work. I seriously cannot believe how many fantastic tips and ideas I have garnered from your tutorials. It is great because we have the same length hair, a bit on the fine side and you have taught me updo’s that I didn’t think were possible for my length/texture of hair. I have never left a comment on a blog before in my life but I just had to tell you how great you are and how helpful these tutorials will continue to be for me. My hair looks amazing. Thank you!!!

37. Paige Duren says
    Posted February 11, 2016

This is an awesome hair style. It would be perfect for high school dances. It looks simple enough to do on your own and turns out looking like you had it professionally done. Do you have anymore updo’s that would also be good for a high school dance? I love your work. I look forward to looking at more of your tutorials. They are very helpful!