Oh Snap

photo snappers.jpg
I go through phases where I’m really into a certain snack or food. For example, from the time I could start taking my lunch to school, to just about the time I graduated high school, I would bring a ham sandwich, goldfish, lemonade and something for dessert every day.

Every single day.

I would enjoy a bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate sprinkles for dessert almost nightly as well.

During pregnancy, I went through a caesar salad kick.

Once I find something I like, I stick with it.

Over the holidays my mom went to Costco and came back with about 15 packages of Snappers. She packed 13 of them in the car to take back to illinois with her, and the other two were opened at my house. I was pretty distracted with my newborn son, so I didn’t really partake as everyone else started to enjoy them.

Finally, when there were only about 7 remaining in the last bag, I took my first bite of a Snapper.

My life was forever changed. I heard an angel chorus and beams of light began to emerge from my heart.

It was the most delicious and perfectly satisfying snack I’ve ever had.

Pretzel, check. Chocolate, check. Caramel topped with a bit of salt, check.

Nothing is better.

So my addiction started. And there were only 6 little Snappers left in the bag.

A few weeks passed, the Snappers had long since ran out, and I began jonesin’ for another Snapper.

I packed up David and off to Costco we went.

My mom had told me where these heavenly treats were located in Costco, so I went straight for that aisle. No sense in filling my cart with other junk when I needed to leave space for Snappers.

They weren’t there. I couldn’t find them anywhere. I wiped the sweat from my brow, and tried to slow my heart rate. I found a Costco employee and asked, “Snappers? Have you seen them? Tell me you still have them!” I nearly grabbed his neck collar and shook him about.

“Oh, I think we are sold out of those”.

My head dropped in despair and I dragged my feet out of there empty handed.

When I got home, I googled “Snappers at Costco” to see if I could buy them anywhere else. I scrolled through a few pages and found the company’s Facebook page. Snappers were created at a charming chocolate shop in Pittsburgh, PA.

And my friend Kacia was a fan of the Facebook page.

“Kacia can help me locate the Snappers!” I thought to myself.

I called her right away. She didn’t answer, but I left a lengthy message complaining about Pittsburgh having everything good. . . (you know, her and the Snappers).

She called back, laughing at how desperate and defeated I sounded in my voice mail, and informed me that the owners of the Milkshake Factory, where the Snappers were invented, were friends of hers! I was star stuck! Then she went on to make my life complete and said she’d talk to them to see if they are coming back to Costco AND that she would go buy me a few bags and ship them to me.

In the meantime, I continued my googling and discovered that I could buy them online! I couldn’t wait any longer and ordered 3 bags to be delivered to my house.

I promptly called my mom to inform her of this fact as she too had fallen in love with Snappers and she gasped.

“KATE. Yesterday I ordered 4 bags to be sent to your house because I know how bad you’ve been wanting them!” she yelled. I had ruined her surprise

A grin slowly spread from ear to ear.

7 bags of Snappers were on their way to me. I cried out in joy, startling David, and then scooped him into my arms and did the Snapper dance.

The Snappers arrived and then quickly were devoured in an embarrassingly amount of time.

Meanwhile, Kacia had told her friends about my deep love for Snappers and they were kind enough to contact me and send me a “care package” of a few more bags!

At this point Justin is both shocked and slightly embarrassed at my emotions toward a salty treat. But he’s not a snacker, nor does he have a big sweet tooth, so he wouldn’t understand. And frankly, that means more Snappers for me!

photo snapper23.jpg

I’m currently enjoying a Snapper as I write this. And I need you to know, dear reader, that you must try these. They are perfection.

*While I did receive a care package full of Snappers from the company, I wasn’t compensated for this post. And I would have written it regardless of whether or not Snapper’s creators contacted me. I consider it my purpose to inform the rest of the world of this delicious treat. If I could hand out Snappers to strangers, I would. . . but that could land me in jail. And I’m pretty sure they don’t have Snappers on the menu in jail.

1. Posted February 25, 2014

Great. I live in Germany, how do I get Snappers? πŸ˜€

• Elisa says
      Posted February 25, 2014

Same here: try”rosengarten meine pause Schokosalzbretzeln” in an organic store (no salt and caramel on these tho) or just do them yourself! Easy to make and plenty recipes out there. Either German or English. (Melt Choclat and caramel and pour over bretzela. Add salt in top if you want)

2. Posted February 25, 2014

Must. Find. Said. Snappers.

3. Posted February 25, 2014

I just had those a couple weeks ago. I only bought one bag….what was I thinking? They are so good!

4. Posted February 25, 2014

I must be on the wrong planet or something…. because when I looked at them on amazon, a pack of 12 is listed at $329.00 and $43.00 in tax…. helppp! I am obsessed with my nightly pretzel and chocolate splurge!

5. Sherry says
    Posted February 25, 2014

Now I really want to try a Snapper.

6. Posted February 25, 2014

The dramatized nature of this post is hilarious…..but I really do want to try a Snapper now…so it was successful nonetheless.

7. Posted February 25, 2014

These look amazing! They would be fun to make yourself?

Berrie-Blogs |Beauty Blog

8. Posted February 25, 2014

You could probably make these yourself for a much cheaper price! Its actually a very popular snack for our family during the holidays. Just buy a bag of pretzels and some rolo candies or even milk duds. Put the candy of your choice on top of the pretzel and bake them in the oven and there you have it! And the best part is, you dont have to order them. Enjoy!

9. Posted February 25, 2014

Dang it Kate. Now I want some… And the search for the snappers continues…

10. Cara H says
    Posted February 25, 2014

next time you have a hankering – try this, SO easy and so delicious…may have made 3 batches over a one week span around Christmas http://jamiecooksitup.net/2013/04/easy-toffee-pretzel-bark/

11. Tricia says
    Posted February 25, 2014

Holy smokes. Now I need a Snapper….I wonder how many weight watchers points they are…….

12. Ava says
    Posted February 25, 2014

Oh, I’ll have to try Snappers. I recently discovered brownie brittle at Sam’s. My grandparents introduced me to that delicious world!!

• Candi says
      Posted February 25, 2014

A co-worker introduced me to brownie brittle yesterday. YUM!

13. Posted February 25, 2014

I line a cookie sheet with pretzels and place a rolo on top of each, bake at about 350 for a couple minutes, just enough for them to get soft and then I top them with a pecan and squish them down, talk about a lovely bit size treat!

• Posted February 27, 2014

I made numerous batches of these yummy little treats over the holidays! Everyone loved them and they were very easy and oh so cute.

14. Posted February 25, 2014

I make something similar to these and everyone goes crazy for them. Pretzels, a rolo on top of each one, bake in oven for 3 to 5 minutes at 350. Place a pecan on each one and enjoy!

• Emily says
      Posted February 25, 2014

I do the same thing. (You can even microwave them if you’re feeling particularly lazy.) Such a great salty/sweet combo!

15. Posted February 25, 2014

YUM! I need to try these asap!
    The Style Storm
    <3, Christina

16. agore says
    Posted February 25, 2014

I saw these in Costco yesterday and very swiftly walked away. I would eat the whole bag in no time!

17. Posted February 25, 2014

Yum! Caramel and chocolate are my favorite. Have you tried take5 candy bars? I *think* that’s the name of what I’m thinking of. They have chocolate, pretzels and caramel as well! Yum!

• Melanie says
      Posted February 25, 2014

Exactly what I was thinking. I think Take5 has peanut butter as well. SO good!

18. Posted February 25, 2014

I thought I was the only one who gets obsessed with certain foods! I will get into something and go crazy for it until I completely goldfish/fro yo/grilled cheese (etc.) myself out. And my husband doesn’t get it either!

19. Posted February 25, 2014

This was to funny! And just as I woke up and said I have to start eating right, I will have to amend that rule for snappers.

• Posted February 25, 2014

Me too! I had another bought of resolve to eat right and try to minimize weight gain for the rest of this pregnancy…and then Snappers. Oh well! πŸ™‚

20. Posted February 25, 2014

I want some Snappers…feelin’ a bit left out ovah heere….

21. Sarah says
    Posted February 25, 2014

Never heard of them but they look good! I try not to find things like this since I tend to have the same kind of addictive eating personality as you. I’ve been going to Starbucks every day for years! ahhhh

22. Sara says
    Posted February 25, 2014

Can’t go wrong with the salty/sweet combo. Look like they may be fairly easy to make too! Yum!

23. Posted February 25, 2014

Oh Kate!! If you love Snappers you will love this creation. Get a bag of mini pretzels and Rolo’s! Spread a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and line with pretzels. Put one Rolo on top of the pretzel and put in oven at about 200* for about 5 minutes (or until the Rolo’s turn a little shiny). Remove from oven and top with another pretzel. Smash slightly and let cool. Then eat the yummy goodness and thank the creator of this yumminess! Sounds like the same concept as a Snapper πŸ™‚

24. Rebecca says
    Posted February 25, 2014

I love how passionate you are about these snappers! I’ve never tried them, but apparently I really need to!!!

25. Posted February 25, 2014

This post is awesome & hilarious! When I find a good thing I stick with it as well! And will go to great lengths to have it on hand too πŸ™‚ While I am not a fan of Pittsburgh (Cleveland Browns fan here) I might have to look past that for a sweet & salty treat πŸ™‚ Thanks Kate!

26. Theresa says

Kate,
    I’m starving now! This may be your best post ever, I felt like I was listening to myself talk while reading it. I’m now on a mission to find Snappers!

I was expecting to find the perfect hairstyle or lipstick this morning and instead I found Snappers. It is as if Christmas came early.

Thank you!

27. Posted February 25, 2014

LOL. I have this same kind of crazy love for Dove Chocolate. MMMMMMMM…. I will so have to try the snappers.

28. Yesie says
    Posted February 25, 2014

I could not for the life of me stop laughing while reading this. My co-workers were lookig at me intrigued and a little bit like i’m a nut job. Great way to start my day, thank you! Now on my to-do list for later today…find snappers πŸ™‚

29. Posted February 25, 2014

Just ordered! Sound delicious!

30. Lilly says
    Posted February 25, 2014

mmmm….perhaps you can made them from scratch? doesn’t look difficult to make and I will use dark chocolate instead! yum!

31. Posted February 25, 2014

Now I want them!!!

32. Morgan says
    Posted February 25, 2014

There is a VERY easy recipe to make these on Pinterest. I make them all the time for parties and they are a BIG hit. Just search “Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark” and you will find them. Literally, you just use the “Snaps” pretzels that you can find at any grocery store (they are made by Snyder pretzels), lay them out a baking sheet, make some caramel with 2 sticks of unsalted butter and a packed cup of light brown sugar, pour the caramel over the pretzels, bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes. During that time, melt a bag of dark chocolate chips (mix in some vegetable oil so it spreads easily). Pull out the baking sheets, pour over the chocolate, and then sprinkle sea salt all over – put it in the fridge for an hour or so to harden and you are ready to go! Just break up the pieces and there you! Homemade Snappers!

• kiki says
      Posted August 12, 2015

OK FINALLY…a all snappers ingredients. Without the chocolate, I am sorry but they are not Snappers…..I store them in the freezer…be careful not to break a tooth but they are so intense flavor really cold like that…let defrost a minute.

33. Posted February 25, 2014

The Milkshake Factory – just another thing on the list making Pittsburgh the Most Livable City πŸ™‚

34. Posted February 25, 2014

This comment has been removed by the author.

35. Posted February 25, 2014

You crack me up! I have to try these now!

36. Posted February 25, 2014

If I were the boss of you I would say, “stop putting delicious and enticing food on you blog”!! I just caved (in 2 seconds flat) and bought three bags on their website!!! I see that someone posted a recipe…I think I’ll try that while I wait for the shipment to arrive, because they will be on my mind until the mailman comes! πŸ˜‰

37. Corinne says
    Posted February 25, 2014

When we lived in Pittsburgh this is one of the shops I loved to visit (although my waistline hated me for it). Thank you for writing this because now I’m off to order a bag (or two, or three!).

38. Posted February 25, 2014

Love it! Nothing is more satisfying than tracking down the mythical treat!

39. Rameet says

Just ordered 2 bags! πŸ™‚

40. Posted February 25, 2014

These sound amazingggggggggggg, I need a bag or eight.

Kristina does the Internets

41. Christy says
    Posted February 25, 2014

I’ve only ever returned things to Costco twice and one time, it was those. The combo sounded so good but the ingredients tasted sub par. Maybe it was a bad batch but I never got them again.

42. Janell says
    Posted February 25, 2014

I don’t like choc covered pretzels but my husband does. My mom happens to be at Costco right now and I just called her to check and see if they have them here in CA.

43. Whitney says
    Posted February 25, 2014

This comment has been removed by the author.

44. Whitney says
    Posted February 25, 2014

I used to work with the owners of the Milkshake Factory during their DC days – they’re great folks!!

45. Posted February 25, 2014

Make your own!! These are SO easy and crazy good. I might need to make some tonight. Yum.

46. Posted February 25, 2014

They…don’t…ship…to….Canada. #defeated

47. Posted February 25, 2014

Just so y’all know you can buy these online at http://www.edwardmarc.com, and they’re only $7.00!

48. Ashley says
    Posted February 25, 2014

Now this looks delicious!!!

Xo Ash
    Sincerely Miss Ash

49. Posted February 25, 2014

What a fun post! Now I have to see if my Costco has Snappers!

50. Lori says
    Posted February 25, 2014

LOLOL!!! So funny. And now, I must try them.

51. Posted February 25, 2014

Oh my! I need to try these delightful little treats!
    -Meg

52. Posted February 25, 2014

I understand your addiction!:)

53. Posted February 25, 2014

Have you tried slightly melting a rolo onto a checkerboard style pretzel? It’s one of my favorites. I bet it tastes similar? Yum!

54. Posted February 25, 2014

This was awesome! So hilarious. I could completely relate πŸ™‚

55. Posted February 25, 2014

This was awesome! So hilarious. I could completely relate πŸ™‚

56. Posted February 25, 2014

This post had me cracking up but now I’ve got to make it my mission to find these things.

57. Camille says

Pittsburgh, PA: practically perfect

58. Posted February 25, 2014

This is the most hilarious post ever!!! 7 bags! And more on the way! hahah that is awesome!

59. Posted February 25, 2014

Oh. my. goodness. Those honestly look like the best snack EVER!!! Thank you for sharing…I’m about to order some of my own…or make some of my own. It would be even more super if you could befriend the makers of this delicious treat and offer a giveaway…. πŸ™‚

60. AA says
    Posted February 25, 2014

This made me laugh! Those look delicious, I will have to find them. I live dangerously close to a Costco.

61. Jenni says
    Posted February 25, 2014

Mary’s Cakery and Candy Kitchen in King George, VA has the best snappers and paddy wacs! And fudge and everything else! You can order online!!

62. Kristen says
    Posted February 25, 2014

I totally just ordered some and had them sent to my husband at work! He will love the surprise πŸ™‚ Thanks!

63. Posted February 26, 2014

So many good things come from Pittsburgh… Primanti’s, the Steelers, my husband, and now these?!?! My husband is from there and I’ve lived there, but I’ve never heard of them. Now, I need my mother in law to send me some!

64. kez cap says
    Posted February 26, 2014

In Australia. …damn it! !

65. Posted February 26, 2014

I live in Pittsburgh so they are easily found here. And Yes they are delicious… if I’m not mistaken they make different flavors from time to time .

66. Posted February 26, 2014

I am the exact same way. I settle in on something for a good long while. The only problems are those items tend to get discontinued (UGH!!!) or I get sick of it and never want anymore as I have stocked up on 20 boxes (ooops!)

67. Posted February 26, 2014

I was at Costco today and was so sad when I couldn’t find these in the store! I always go on food kicks, even when I’m not pregnant. (I’m 26 weeks along with my second). Thanks for the fun post and the new craving! πŸ™‚

68. Posted February 26, 2014

This made me laugh aloud! And now I’m going to do a google and find me some snappers. They are right up my sweet & salty tooth alley!

69. Megan says
    Posted February 26, 2014

I’m curious what the “Snapper dance” looks like…

70. Posted February 26, 2014

This was a great reading. Thank you for making me smile!! and share the story with my husband πŸ™‚

71. du chu says
    Posted February 26, 2014

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

72. Posted February 26, 2014

This is one of the snack-y things that we make all the time in my family. You can make them easily by lining a cookie sheet with pretzels, then putting a rolo chocolate on top of each of them, then you pop them in an oven until the rolo melts. Then we take a pecan and put it on the top of the rolo, push it down, then let them cool. It’s super easy and they are so good when they are hot and melty.

73. Hannah says
    Posted February 26, 2014

oh my, I feel like we are the same. I had the same thing for lunch every single day too. I still do. ha. What can I say? when you know something is good, you just want that! And wow. those little snapper things look and sound amazing! I might have to try some of those soon πŸ™‚

74. Lori P says
    Posted February 26, 2014

I love anything that can combined sweet and salty. I stopped by my local Costco today, scoured the aisles. At first I didn’t see anything next to the pretzel crisps- where I thought they would be.. (insert sad face), I continued to finish my grocery run. Low and behold right next to the pharmacy, SNAPPERS! It was like finding gold! SO so good. If anyone has a Costco, definitely pick up a bag, or order online!

75. Posted February 27, 2014

Hey, I’ve been to the Milkshake Factory! Good stuff.

76. Posted February 27, 2014

Kate,
    Try making some Snappers of your own, when you run out. All you need is pretzels ( i like the square ones that look like a 4-pane window) and Rolos candy. Place pretzels neatly spread out on a dish and put a Rolo on each one. Microwave for several seconds until you can manuever the semi-melted Rolo (with a toothpick or popcicle stick) over the pretzel. Let them set and enjoy!

77. Posted February 27, 2014

I’ve never heard of these but they look delicious!!!

78. Posted February 28, 2014

Kate,

Thank you!I
    ‘ve never heard of these but they look delicious!!!

79. Posted March 1, 2014

I went to Costco yesterday and couldn’t find them! They look so good too!!!

80. Sam M says
    Posted March 2, 2014

We’ve been talking about joining Costco for a couple weeks and we finally did today! We walked in and I told my hubby that we had to get Snappers! We opened them in the car on the way home and they did not disappoint!

81. Amy G says
    Posted March 2, 2014

I’ve seen these evrythime I’m at Costco and have always wanted to get them! Now I definitely will – I live in Pittsburgh and had no idea our beloved Milkshake Factory made these!! Yummy can’t wait to try them!

82. Posted March 3, 2014

Whooo Pittsburgh love! You have a lot of fans here!

83. MΓ³nica says
    Posted December 21, 2014

So, since I read this, I’ve been dying to try them… But I live in Mexico. I went to Costco and they didn’t even know them, this was February, when I read this post. Yesterday I was running some errands in Costco and suddenly I turn to an aisle and see an age a of snappers, just like the one I’ve been keeping in my cell phone pics in case I find them. I just bought one, and am really thankful for this post! Omg! They’re awesome!!!!

84. Sally says
    Posted December 23, 2014

I have to tell you how much my husband and I enjoyed reading your post on the Snappers – we laughed hysterically through the whole thing. I started out searching for some clever person who had figured out how to make this bits of heaven in their own kitchen and I came across your blog. I have the very same reaction to this gems – and unfortunately all the Costco’s in my area and all surrounding areas are completely sold out and are not ordering them ~ I guess corporate has no vision. Why or why do they do these things to us. I also looked online to buy them from the manufacturer and thought that the price plus shipping was just outrageous . . . . but the day may be coming when I’ll have to give in. Now, I’ll have to look through the rest of your blog to see what other little pearls of wisdom and goodness you can lead me to.

85. Sarah says
    Posted April 3, 2015

I was perusing Target tonight and saw Snappers and immediately remembered this post! I had to buy a bag just because you said they were so good, and they were flipping awesome. I probably just found my newest favorite treat!

86. Shallowa says
    Posted September 24, 2015

As i was strolling through ‘my local dollar gentral’ (i’m sure you’ve seen the videos of those crazy women in the car) I found snappers just sitting on the shelf starring at me, so of course I thought about this post and had to try them. I think I might be making a trip back to empty the self of these tasty little goodies. πŸ™‚

87. Posted March 2, 2017