The Nursery

photo nurery2.jpg

When I thought about the nursery, I imagined it to be serene, soft and calm. I wanted a room that I wouldn’t get sick of too quickly and wouldn’t necessarily have to repaint for future children. I hate painting.

While I fall into the “make all the things monochromatic”category, my husband falls into the “bring on the color” side. So, to balance it out a bit, I added some colorful details to make it a little bit more interesting that just a monochromatic white and grey.

We picked the paint color before we moved in, and I thought it would be safe to go with a neutral taupe-y grey. The paint color is Sherwin Williams Naturel.

I also didn’t imagine having a themed nursery. And while I don’t think the theme is over the top, there is  no shortage of elephants hanging around in it.

photo nursery1.jpg
 photo nursery3.jpg

As mom and I were putting it together, the cats were all interested in what we were doing in this room that was otherwise never used.

My mom is so great at creating a room based on my vision. I am a horrible decorator, so it was fun to rely on her to really decorate and lay out the room!

I actually think Gravy believes that we completed this room for him. He spends just about 99% of his day in there, sleeping on the glider or, now, the changing pad.
 photo nursery4.jpg
The wall pictured below need a few more details that we are waiting on until after he’s born. I’ll fill these frames with newborn photos and potentially get something like this to hang under one of the shelves.

photo nursery5.jpg

photo nursery6.jpg

photo nursery10.jpg
The first wall you see when you walk into the room is so cute. My mom decorated it and even spray painted the base of the hooks orange. The wooden stool below was my husbands when he was a child

photo nuresry11.jpg
I took forever to decide on a glider, and was very happy with this grey Little Castle one from Target. It’s stiff enough to give me support, but will break in nicely to be comfortable for those 3am rocking sessions.

photo nursery8.jpg

photo nursery7.jpg
I couldn’t be more pleased with how it all came together. And it was so fun to surprise my husband with it once he returned home from his time in Pennsylvania

Only a few short weeks until the little guy is here and I get to show it to him!

The things:
blue cabinet: Target
mint side table: Marshall’s
baskets: Home Good’s
elephant rocker: Pottery Barn Kids
elephant photo above crib: Creature Comforts
crib bedding: Pottery Barn Kids
basket on changing table: Pottery Barn Kids
shelves above changing table: Ballard Designs
elephant print on shelf: Beautifully Esoteric
wall color: Sherwin Williams Naturel
Most accessories/stuffed animals came from various places, as gifts, or were grabbed from another part of my house.

1. Posted December 3, 2013

Your nursery is stunning!! You will be spending many hours in there and to have such a place that is so relaxing will be invaluable.

2. h bauer says
    Posted December 3, 2013

It is so lovely!! I wish my own room looked that nice!!

3. Posted December 3, 2013

Something about those changing pads…my cat loves to sleep on ours too!

4. Posted December 3, 2013

What a nice room! I really like the orange hook – it is the color I always imagine a future nursery in our home – so … love it. Oh, the chair seams so comfy, that I’d really like to sit in it right now! Also the elephant theme is adoring. In sum: only one item missing – the cute baby boy :0)

5. Shasta says
    Posted December 3, 2013

Beautiful! I absolutely love it! That glider looks so comfy too.

6. Posted December 3, 2013

Perfection……enjoy these last few quite, well rested days.

7. Posted December 3, 2013

You and your mom did an amazing job! You should be proud of your work! Careful though, you’ll have your readers wanting to consult you for nursery decorating tips in no time! 🙂 Best wishes to you…

8. Posted December 3, 2013

LOVE IT. Well done. I love neutrals. He’s going to love it in there.

9. Posted December 3, 2013

So cute! I love how neutral it is with pops of color. You will love the PB bedding. It washes so nice and lasts forever. Definitely worth the money.

10. Angie says
    Posted December 3, 2013

this is a beautiful room!

11. AmyA says
    Posted December 3, 2013

Love! Well done! I think my favorite part is the little glass container with the blocks in it.

12. Posted December 3, 2013

I LOVE his nursery!! It is perfectly calm and comfortable. We also have an elephant theme for our son’s nursery and it’s my favorite room in the house, ha! Great job!

13. Posted December 3, 2013

Absolutely LOVE it…….. such a sweet little room for your new addition…..can’t wait for the big day to arrive 🙂 Best wishes to you both!!

14. Carly says
    Posted December 3, 2013

Love this! Our nursery is white and grey too, with pink accents! The elephants are ADORABLE!

Carly

15. Posted December 3, 2013

I just got emotional seeing this photos … goodness SAKES, Kaysh! I’m just a proud Auntie — get here, baby boy!!

16. Piglet says

Very cute!!!

17. Posted December 3, 2013

I loveeee elephants so this nursery had my heart from the beginning. I love the pops of orange. Does your mom want to come over and decorate my house? haha

18. Natalie says
    Posted December 3, 2013

this could be in a decorating magazine! bravo!

19. Lindsay says
    Posted December 3, 2013

This is so adorable. Very similar to the nursery I’m planning for my boy (expecting in March)! xoxo

20. Posted December 3, 2013

SO sweet & simple & inviting! you’re going to LOVE that chair! I have a similar one & it makes all the difference in the world with those middle of the night feeding! 🙂

21. Posted December 3, 2013

What a gorgeous nursery. Enjoy all your moments in that sacred space.

22. Posted December 3, 2013

It’s absolutely stunning! Love the neutral colours!

23. lyndsay says
    Posted December 3, 2013

Looks great! Love the idea with the blocks!

24. Posted December 3, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

25. Posted December 3, 2013

Love the color scheme, so serene. You will love spending time in here with the little one 🙂

26. Posted December 3, 2013

The nursery is beautiful & I’m loving the wall paint. I have been stalling for over a year to paint our main floor because I am looking for the “perfect” grey, I love this color. We might have to try it.

27. Jordan says

It’s beautiful!!

28. Posted December 3, 2013

So sweet. So happy for you!

29. Posted December 3, 2013

Beautiful Nursery! Wow i love the grey and white tone, the elephants make it all more magical, once again beautiful!

30. Posted December 3, 2013

So cute and soooo classy. I’m sure your baby boy will be very happy here 🙂 x

31. Posted December 3, 2013

Looks great, Kate! We went with grey and neutral colors for our son’s nursery before he was born back in May, and still love it just as much now as we did a few months ago. Because it’s not super bright or colorful, it’s always calming and soothing – we love hanging out in there. I know you guys will love hanging out in your son’s nursery too!

32. Posted December 3, 2013

Look fabulous and very soothing. Can’t wait to hear what name you’ve chosen!

33. Devin says
    Posted December 3, 2013

We installed a screened door (abour $18 from Home Depot) on our nursery door, in order to be about to hear tge baby but keep the cats out because like your cats, they thought the nursery was the mosy interesting room in the house. We didnt take the regular door off but most of the time we leave it open and jusy close the screen. Works like a charm.

Posted December 5, 2013

Interesting idea!

34. Posted December 3, 2013

Looks beautiful! I love that it’s not so cutesy & themey looking! I’m sure your little bundle will be very happy here!

35. Posted December 3, 2013

What a peaceful room for your little man. It won’t be long before it’s complete upon his arrival. I have photos of my cat in the exact same position on the changing table before our babies were born! 🙂

36. E says
    Posted December 3, 2013

Kate, What a perfect room for your little guy! It is so beautiful! Wishing you a safe and easy delivery!

37. kristin says
    Posted December 3, 2013

Very cute! I would love to see pictures of the rest of your new home!!

38. Posted December 3, 2013

Cute, cute, cute! Love the warm cozy feel of a nursery!

39. Posted December 3, 2013

this is so beautiful — love your color choices! xo

40. Deborah says
    Posted December 3, 2013

My daughter had a baby four weeks ago today! I helped with the decorating of the nursery and had the best time. Yours is lovely!

Is your kitty a Russian Blue? I haver one just like that! They are crazy-fun.

41. Audrey says
    Posted December 3, 2013

LOVE! All of it. The grey color scheme, the simple yet modern styling….just perfect. This is such a fun time. Funny, our cat also likes to sleep on the changing table 😉 xo http://www.casualglamorous.com

42. Posted December 3, 2013

We don’t have a “theme” either, but elephants took over! I love what you did. And we did the same thing about paint – not my favorite chore.

43. Posted December 3, 2013

i loooove the elephants everywhere! how adorable and unique! so cute and perfect for baby!

44. Posted December 3, 2013

LOVE! Seriously, perfect.

45. Posted December 3, 2013

Just darling! A beautiful room to grow in!!

Gravy is so cute. My cats love the changing pad too – and the car seat. Anything soft and cuddly. They also liked the crib – at least until my daughter arrived! Guess they knew better than to try to share the baby’s bed.

46. Posted December 3, 2013

I love everything about this nursery!! We just picked up the Kendall Crib in Petite (who knew they made them for short moms?) over Black Friday and I am counting down the days until delivery!!! I love how it looks in your nursery. The only thing that room is missing is a little babe! 🙂

47. Posted December 3, 2013

Such a pretty nursery!! Love how calming it is.

48. Posted December 3, 2013

Oh the nursery is so beautiful!! Putting nurseries together for both my kids was so much fun! I love kids rooms and nurseries, there is something so calming and peaceful. When I was pregnant with my daughter my husband and I used to sit in her room at night before she was born because it was so peaceful 🙂 Enjoy these last few days.

49. Sharon says

soo gorgeous!

50. Posted December 3, 2013

This nursery is a dream – I love the soft tones and accessories! Very soothing for baby.. and Mommy!

51. Christy says

Love it!!!

52. Posted December 3, 2013

soso beautiful, love grey for a nursery

aforvogue.blogspot.co.uk

53. Posted December 3, 2013

the room looks so cute! definitely serene but still cute and playful. great work!
    — jackie @ jade and oak

54. Posted December 3, 2013

the room is gorge! Such a similar vision to what I’d like to do with our nursery for baby #2! Can your mom come to my house next???

55. Posted December 3, 2013

I love the variety that nursery’s have now a days. I love the grey and with the elephants.

56. Posted December 3, 2013

so beautiful!! I love the colour scheme and elephants…I’m trying to get inspired for decorating a baby room for my no.2 child.

57. Posted December 3, 2013

I love all the elephants! This is exactly what I want a nursery to look like in my home when a baby comes bouncing along!

58. Emily says
    Posted December 3, 2013

Oh my gosh, I don’t even have kids but I want all that elephant stuff for my own house! How very cute!

59. Alyson says
    Posted December 3, 2013

love! what a cute room. i’m decorating now for a little boy’s room and will be asking you about that rocker. i have that and another as my two main options!

alyson

60. Posted December 3, 2013

This is seriously beautiful, I love the pops of color in a neutral room!

Katie

61. Posted December 3, 2013

I know you think it’s cute with your cat lying on the changing table. You won’t think its cute when you are dealing with health issues with your new baby due to you cat(s) hanging in the nersery. The earlier you stop the behavior with your cat(s) playing/sleeping in the nursery the easier it will be. I learned the hard way.

Posted December 3, 2013

What health issues?? We won’t know anything about his health until after he’s here. I don’t think having cats necessitates health issues.

• Jane says
      Posted December 4, 2013

There are a lot of common misunderstandings and old wives’ tales concerning babies and animals (cats particularly). However, babies who grow up in homes with cats and/or dogs are actually LESS likely to get sick: http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/09/study-why-dogs-and-cats-make-babies-healthier/

As an aside, as an animal lover it breaks my heart when people oust the pets in their lives when the baby comes home (check out craiglist, ask anyone who is involved with a rescue organization…). It has been very hear twarming to continue to see your love for and devotion to your furkids, Kate. And also … clearly Gravy belongs in that room. He is the same colour as the elephants. 😉

Posted December 4, 2013

Thanks for commenting Jane! I agree, it’s so sad to see pets get the shaft (unless medically necessary/extreme circumstances). Lots of babies have been raised in homes with pets, and I’m excited to see these three boys (the baby, gravy and grits) all become “friends”. Let’s hope!

• Posted December 4, 2013

I agree with the pets issue! My younger cousin has grown up with his dog for almost eight years and they’re perfect for each other! They’re inseparable.

• Posted December 4, 2013

So silly! I have two rescue cats that were around when my kids were born! They are 10 and 6! One cat sleeps with my daughter the other with my son. Neither of my children are sick…ever!!!

• Jenni says
      Posted December 4, 2013

The above poster is probably talking about the risk of toxoplasmosis, which is unfortunately real. But your cats being indoors all the time reduces that chance greatly (or completely?).

Love the nursery! Elephants are my favorite!

• Posted December 4, 2013

Congenital toxoplasmosis is only a concern during pregnancy, and the risk posed by indoor cats is next to zero because they contract it via eating infected vermin. A child raised in a home with pets is at an advantage in terms of immune strength. I’ve had cats since the moment I came home from the hospital and I’m as healthy as a horse. Our two cats are wonderful companions for our son and are gentle and patient with him.

62. Posted December 3, 2013

Love the Elephant theme and what you did with the blocks so cute! The whole room is super cute! You are set. Come on out baby boy!

63. Posted December 3, 2013

Love it! What a sweet room for your little guy!

64. Posted December 3, 2013

You and your mom did a great job! So cute for a baby boy! 🙂 Praying for you through this month!

65. Posted December 3, 2013

I love the nursery! I have a lot of gray in mine as well 🙂

66. Jess P says
    Posted December 3, 2013

This is lovely! I am usually a “bring on the color” person myself, but have recently discovered the beauty that can be found in a soft, monochromatic color scheme. You have really done a wonderful job here!

67. Posted December 3, 2013

It’s beautiful! My daughter’s nusery is Elephant with pinks and beige. I’m feeling OWLS for our little one on the way!

68. M Dee says
    Posted December 4, 2013

You and your Mom did a great job!! ……love your taste in things~ everything actually!

wishing you and baby a safe and wonderful delivery 🙂

69. Casey says
    Posted December 4, 2013

i love this! i always feel sorry for newborns that end up with neons and zebra patterns everywhere. your nursery is very chic and i love grey.

70. Posted December 4, 2013

I love that you painted the inside of the dresser, I might have to steal that idea! I make prints similar to the one you linked to so I’d love to make one for you (for free of course!) once he arrives.

Posted December 4, 2013

we didn’t! The dresser came like that!

71. Shelley says
    Posted December 4, 2013

What a beautiful nursery. It looks so calm and soothing. Best of luck on your baby’s boy birth day!

72. Amanda says
    Posted December 4, 2013

Absolutely beautiful!! A room for the whole family to enjoy!

73. Posted December 4, 2013

It’s perfect! I have that Target cabinet in yellow as my linen cabinet and I love it.

74. Posted December 4, 2013

I just ordered the Kendall crib too but we ordered it in the weathered pine that I feel in love with right away!

• Lauren says
      Posted June 21, 2016

Ashley,

Do you still have your Kendall Weathered Pine crib?

75. Posted December 4, 2013

76. Vanessa says
    Posted December 4, 2013

This whole room is freakin gorgeous! If I wasn’t done having kids, I would so be copying all of this! 🙂 I love Pottery Barn’s stuff, even if it is outside my budget. Love how you worked all the pieces from different places together. It looks adorable without being over-the-top theme-y like some people do. Best of luck on your little guy’s birth day!

77. Megan says
    Posted December 4, 2013

This room is beautiful!! It’s not terribly monochromatic, the little colors add a nice touch. A nice border wall paper of elephants might add a cute touch of color too.

78. Krista says
    Posted December 4, 2013

It looks so beautiful, especially Gravy breaking everything in for baby 😉

79. Posted December 4, 2013

This space is gorgeous! Love the grey and elephants. The Target rocker is my fav! Congrats!

80. Posted December 4, 2013

Oh my goodness, Kate! It’s perfect! Love it!!! Can’t wait to see your little man!!!!

81. Lauren says
    Posted December 4, 2013

You did such a fabulous job! I love the color scheme with the subtle pops of orange. It’s perfect! I also did my son’s nursery in soft colors…he’s 16 months now and I still love it! The most peaceful room in the house. I think I’ll send you a private message to my blog link (don’t want to make it public) so you can see. 🙂

Lauren

p.s. thanks for teaching me to curl my hair–at 28 years old. I finally feel like an adult!!

82. Posted December 4, 2013

Looks amazing! Best wishes to you all!

83. Rach says
    Posted December 4, 2013

Super cute nursery! Love it!

84. Posted December 4, 2013

Love, love your nursery!! Almost makes me want to start over, and my youngest is 15. LOL
    Congratulations…and Gravy makes your nursery homey 🙂

85. Posted December 4, 2013

Beautiful! I expect not long from now, you’ll be posting the baby things you can’t live without. You should definitely try the snap across onesies from H&M. They’re the best thing I’ve ever used. Give Honest brand a shot as well. They’re especially great if baby has sensitive skin. Love and joy to you during this exciting time! Muah.

Posted December 5, 2013

I got a little sample pack from Honest Co that I’m looking forward to trying!

86. Posted December 4, 2013

Your vision is fabulous, darling! And, oh my, you are talented with the camera as well. Your home will not be in lack of beautiful baby images to display about. I am excited for you and your husband! Wishing you all my best. Good day to you.

87. Niki says
    Posted December 4, 2013

Awww!!! How precious!!! I know someone that would LOVE this!!! She’s obsessed w/ elephants!!

88. Alli says
    Posted December 4, 2013

We have both the Kendall crib and extra-wide dresser! My son is two and we are still in love with it! Great choice!

89. Judy says
    Posted December 4, 2013

this is such a cute room, I love it all, the colors are perfect.

90. Posted December 4, 2013

Absolutely adorable! If we are ever blessed with a child, we want to do elephants as well 🙂

91. Posted December 4, 2013

What a great way to create a neutral space that can change as your family grows. We had our nursery set up a few months before our baby arrived and our cats were so happy with “their” new room. The changing pad was THE spot and they squished both of their wide girths on it everyday. It was a bit of an adjustment once the baby actually arrived, but we’ve since made the nursery a cat-free space and made sure to supply some extra cat-only cozy nooks as restitution.

92. Posted December 4, 2013

Wow, how beautiful and calming! Love the elephants. I had a girl and just threw girly colors in there with no plan. I like your approach much better.
    -Felicia
    Spicy-veggies.blogspot.com

93. Posted December 5, 2013

i am doing an elephant theme for my baby girl’s nursery too! love it! my husband’s grandfather collects elephants and is not doing well…so it was an homage to him as well as that i have read many stories of how elephants have such deep relationships with one another and i liked that! beautiful room you have designed!

94. Posted December 5, 2013

This nursery looks like something out of a magazine! Great job. I wish I could put things together that well 🙂

95. Posted December 5, 2013

Wow, that’s quite a nursery!! It’s huge. Do you think he will be a sporty boy? I wish you would reply more to the comments. Not the mean ones but the nice ones like me and others!

Posted December 5, 2013

My husband is athletic, so he may be! replying to comments can be challenging to find enough time for–I try to answer questions if I get a chance!

96. Posted December 5, 2013

Beautiful!

97. Posted December 6, 2013

there nice and cute love them your a great photographer.

98. Posted December 6, 2013

Oh, it turned out so cute! Love the blocks in the jars and fun pops of color with grey!! So fun. I also LOVED seeing all those fresh vacuum lines! Ha ha. I miss those days. Now with six kids, there is never a vacuum line to be seen!!!

99. Posted December 6, 2013

100. Posted December 6, 2013

The nursery looks amazing. I love the theme.

101. Posted December 6, 2013

Dear Kate,

Thank you so much for sharing your absolutely beautiful nursery – I am also expecting and I have to say, I might steel a few ideas, it is just stunning! I love you blog, thank you so much for always sharing the best tips ever! Good luck next friday!! Audrey

102. Posted December 7, 2013

Do you have a link to the picture above the crib? I LOVE it!! and it would match our nursery so perfectly!!!

Posted December 7, 2013

It’s the elephant picture, link is at bottom of post!

103. Posted December 10, 2013

That is a nice room. My cat also sleeps on the changing pad. She’s actually on it right now.

104. Chelzz says
    Posted January 15, 2014

I love the jar with the blocks! What a wonderful idea! I am having my first boy in May and may want to steal that idea for his nursery. Where did you find your jar and blocks? David is the cutest by the way! Congrats again!

105. Masey says
    Posted June 17, 2014

What is the size of the elephant print above the crib? And what size frame is it in? Thanks!

106. Crystal says
    Posted June 25, 2014

Love your nursery! I’m using it as inspiration for my nursery! Where is your bed skirt from? Are you not using bumpers at all? Even now that your son is older? I’m a first time mom, so I need so educating about the bumpers! Appreciate any advise you have! 🙂

107. Cindy Z. says
    Posted July 15, 2014

The glider you chose is exactly what I have been hoping to find for my baby girl’s nursery! I looked online at target and I see they have the chair in halo string and the ottoman in halo grey. I can’t tell if they’re the matching set. They both look grey to me online, however the colors are called something different. What colors did you order?

108. diana says
    Posted August 26, 2014

just wondering if you’re still happy with the glider. was thinking of it for our nursery, but it will take up a lot of space, so want to make sure its worth it.

109. liesl says
    Posted November 6, 2014

So nearly a year later, do you still like that chair? We got one for free and desperately need a new one before baby #2.

110. Posted June 17, 2016

Yes! Finally something about tranny cam live.

111. Posted July 11, 2016

Gray is my newest favorite color. Love it in nurseries as so clean and can be so elegant or sophisticated