Chewies

I first discovered these delectible treats when I was at college in Michigan. My friends and I were at a meeting with a woman who had these sitting on the table, and we all dug in. They are delicious. And, I think, a nice departure from the typical “chocolate” treat.

Chewies

base:

1 package yellow cake mix
1/3 cup margarine, softened
1 egg
3 cups mini marshmallows

topping:
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 package peanut butter chips
2 cups Rice Krispie cereal
2 cups salted peanuts

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees

2. Combine 1/3 cup margarine, egg, and cake mix. Beat, or stir, at a low speed until combined but still crumbly.

This is an example of what the cake mixture should look like.

3. Press mixture into bottom of an ungreased 9×13 baking dish. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

3.5 Eat at least 4 (and up to 36) mini marshmallows as the cake bakes. It’s good luck.

4. Once removed from oven, immediately pour 3 cups of mini marshmallows over cake part and return to oven to bake for 1-2 minutes.

5. In a saucepan, combine all topping ingredients except for cereal and nuts. Heat until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.

6. Remove from heat, stir in cereal and peanuts. Spoon over marshmallows, spread to cover.

7. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Then, as if you couldn’t wait another minute, cut into small squares or rectangles and serve! I like mine cold, but they can sit at room temperature if you prefer that.

(here’s the recipe all lined up so you can read through it easier. Oh, and don’t be like me and forget corn syrup at the store.)

Chewies

base:
1 package yellow cake mix
1/3 cup margarine, softened
1 egg
3 cups mini marshmallows

topping:
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 package peanut butter chips
2 cups Rice Krispie cereal
2 cups salted peanuts

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
4. Once removed from oven, immeditaly pour 3 cups of mini marshmallows over cake part and return to oven to bake for 1-2 minutes.
5. In a saucepan, combine all toping ingredients except for cereal and nuts. Heat until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
7. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

1. Ashley says
    Posted September 23, 2013

Oh my gosh, that looks so yummy! Will definitely be writing down this recipe!! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

Xo,
    Sincerely Miss Ash

2. Becky M says
    Posted September 23, 2013

Yum! Can’t wait to try!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

3. Katie says
    Posted September 23, 2013

This sounds so good. I can’t wait to make it this weekend.

katespitz.blogspot.com

4. Melanie says
    Posted September 23, 2013

YUM YUM YUM!

xo
    Mel

5. Katie says
    Posted September 23, 2013

I love these! My mom has made these for us since I was a little girl. My absolute all-time sweet treat ever!!!

• Katie says
      Posted September 23, 2013

**absolute all-time favorite

• Posted September 23, 2013

My nana has always made these for us too lol we call them ‘pay day candy’ though πŸ™‚

6. Posted September 23, 2013

Will be taking this to my church small group this next Sunday! Thanks Kate!!

7. Amber says
    Posted September 23, 2013

Lemme pin that πŸ™‚

8. Posted September 23, 2013

There goes my spring resolutions… It looks delicious!

9. Posted September 23, 2013

Don’t these look yummy! And seems like a straight forward recipe too….:D

10. Posted September 23, 2013

Our dog is named Chewie, I so think my girls will really get a kick out making “Chewies.” Fun!

11. Posted September 23, 2013

Oh my goodness I will be making these this weekend. Never seen a recipe like it! Thanks for sharing it! P.S. Zulily is having a Pea in the Pod Sale if you are interested!

12. Posted September 23, 2013

Oh my gosh, these look delicious! I wish there were some in my kitchen right now…

13. Posted September 23, 2013

These look delicious! Making them ASAP! Thanks for sharing! πŸ˜€

14. Sharon says
    Posted September 23, 2013

Looks SO GOOD!!!

15. Posted September 23, 2013

oh my goddd this looks awesome. figures I went back into diet-mode this week starting today so this treat may have to wait until this weekend πŸ™‚

16. Posted September 23, 2013

Woohoo these look AMAZING! You always have GREAT recipes! I still use your lasagna trick and put the ricotta cheese on with a bag. Fabulous!

17. Posted September 23, 2013

My family makes these every year as part of our Christmas cookie selection and they’re always a huge hit. They are reminiscent of a salted nut roll. Yum!

18. Lori says
    Posted September 23, 2013

I can’t have peanuts. Would they still be good without them?

19. Kim says
    Posted September 23, 2013

At first glance your cake mixture image looked like pasta (rotini, actually). This sounds delicious. It also looks like something I could secretly eat large amounts of lol.

20. Lori says
    Posted September 23, 2013

I can’t have peanuts. Would they still be good without them?

Posted September 24, 2013

There is only one way to find out πŸ™‚ try it!

• Monica says
      Posted September 24, 2013

I would rather use butter!!!

21. Posted September 23, 2013

Oh man, this sounds awesome! It would be a great potluck dessert – no refrigeration and little mess. Thanks for the recipe πŸ™‚

22. Posted September 23, 2013

looks so delicious! can’t wait to try this recipe!

23. Posted September 23, 2013
  24. Posted September 24, 2013

Yum – I want some of these right now. Love the cake mix base:-)

25. Kailey says
    Posted September 24, 2013

Oh my goodness, I want this immediately!! Thanks for sharing!!

26. Posted September 24, 2013

Bring me some tomorrow πŸ˜‰

27. Posted September 24, 2013

These sounds delicious and super easy to make! Yum!

28. Posted September 24, 2013

I totally just posted these the other day! We call them payday bars (because they taste like those yummy candy bars. LOVE these!

29. Posted September 24, 2013

And now my stomach is growling. Even though I just finished lunch. I think I’ll be whipping these up over the weekend!

Amy | Bubbles & Blush

30. Posted September 24, 2013

Mmmmm! My sis-in-law always makes these for me for my bday because I love them so much! πŸ™‚ My SIL & I will both be at Influence this week! Hope we can meet you and compare notes on our fave desserts! πŸ˜‰

31. Posted September 24, 2013

Hello blogger

Good to read some useful tips for a change, you have provided about Chewies. There are so many other things that impact users much more; I think that’s the main reason. But I’m glad that Go to it. I want to talk you about Baby books for boys. It is essential to know the character and the passions of the person before purchasing the existing because sometimes, Customised gifts to buy a existing that is more in range with something that they might like for themselves. They do not focus on the recipient’s needs and wants. So, before purchasing anything do some research about the person?

32. Posted September 24, 2013

Looks yummy, BUT I would NEVER use margarine in anything! Eeew…….I have a name for it…plastic butter…..!

33. Posted September 24, 2013

Wow! These sound SO amazing! If you wanted something more chocolate-y I bet you could use chocolate cake mix instead of white and that would be great too! Definitely surprising my husband with these πŸ™‚

34. Posted September 24, 2013

Yum! I’m really gonna have to try these!

35. Posted September 24, 2013

That looks delicious!!! I may need to make myself a batch! πŸ™‚ http://www.leconsapprises.com/

36. Tanya says
    Posted September 25, 2013

HOLY WOW thing looks amazing!
    Great recipe, I will have to try this over Thanksgiving.
    TarteTanya

37. Posted September 26, 2013

this looks absolutely delicious! I’m going to try it! Although last time i put marshmallows in the oven they caught on fire and my valentines day gift from my husband that year was a new oven…..forget the flowers…lol….i got a new oven! Hope this recipe turns out a little better! lol ….. they look yummy!

38. Kim says
    Posted September 26, 2013

I just made these. They are so incredible. They are ooey-gooey heaven. Thanks for the recipe!

39. Posted September 26, 2013

I found these during college as well! Our dining services would make them and I got the recipe from them! I have plans to make them soon as well…yum!

40. Posted September 29, 2013

omg yessss. i always crave rice krispee-ish things so this looks fantastic! just pinned it πŸ™‚ xo jillian – cornflake dreams

41. Posted October 22, 2013

I will absolutely be making these for our Halloween party this year! YUM!