The Quintessential Summer Dress

dress: Gap Outlet (unavailable online) (a sort of similar option) (one more option)
shoes: Modcloth (c/o via giftcard)
necklace: Francesca’s
I picked up this maxi dress at Gap Outlet last week. When I saw it on the hanger, I was immediately drawn to it. But then I started to second guess the pattern being too busy.
I couldn’t figure out if it was cool and trendy, or too wild.

So I texted my personal shopping assistant, my sister, and asked for her opinion. She gave me the “thumbs up” so I went for it.

Turns out pattern and color are kind of fun to wear.
And an extra perk? There’s a little room for baby bump growth, so I just might be able to wear this through the end of the summer.

Do you have a quintessential summer dress? This one is definitely mine. I’ve already worn it a few times, and don’t plan on stopping that trend until the temperatures dip below 75 degrees.

1. Posted July 9, 2013

The Gap had so many great maxis this year, it was hard to choose just one… so naturally, I got four!

2. Posted July 9, 2013

Just bought my first two maxis from Loft outlet this weekend! Can’t wait to wear them, they’re so comfortable!

3. Posted July 9, 2013

Really really lovely. love the elastic waistband of the dress
    k at http://www.beautystyleandgrowth.blogspot.com

4. Megan says
    Posted July 9, 2013

I love it! Bonus that you will be able to wear it for a while through pregnancy.

5. Posted July 9, 2013

I really love the pattern…so pretty!

6. Posted July 9, 2013

Just bought this same exact dress last week and im trying to figure out what shoes to wear it with and a little sweater for my arms, so this post really helped!

7. Melissa says
    Posted July 9, 2013

So cute! I’ve been on the hunt for a good maxi but I’m really tall and it’s been difficult to find one long enough that fits properly in other places. But I will not surrender!!! LOL I did just get an adorable grey and coral striped hi-low hem dress from Target that I absolutely love. Wore it on the 4th of July in New Mexico and loved it. Who knew dresses could be so comfortable in hot weather??? I’ve been a shorts and capris devotee for years but I’m becoming a dress convert.

8. Posted July 9, 2013

This dress is totally my style! Love it!

9. Posted July 9, 2013

This dress is sooo amazing! You’re looking great!

10. Posted July 9, 2013

I love maxi dresses, but being 5’1 I am having a TOUGH time finding one that I don’t trip over. Do you have any suggestions of places that might have some?

• Posted July 9, 2013

I’m the same height and surprisingly get the majority of my maxi dresses at Target and I don’t have to hem them. Also try TJ Maxx.

• dani says
      Posted July 9, 2013

Old navy has a few that you can get in petite sizes. that’s what i did! 🙂

11. Posted July 9, 2013

Love this dress and the pattern is perfect for summer! Great find!

Lee

12. Posted July 9, 2013

I think that the dress looks great on you. I’m loving patterns as of late, which is crazy for me since I’m such a neutrals girl! Have a great day.
    xo, Maria

13. Dana says
    Posted July 9, 2013

Very cute. I wish I could wear maxi dresses, but they don’t do a THING for me.

LOVE your toenail polish!! What color is it?

14. Posted July 9, 2013

what a gorgeous print on you! xo

15. Posted July 9, 2013

So cute!

16. Keri says
    Posted July 9, 2013

That is adorable! I can’t wait to see you with a baby bump!

17. Posted July 9, 2013

I saw that dress and thought it was too busy…wish I would have tried it now! Can you give your necklace info?

It’s from Francesca’s!

18. Posted July 9, 2013

I absolutely love this dress! It has the perfect palette and the pattern is so pretty. Not to mention it is so flattering on you! Thanks for sharing. xx. McKenna Lou

19. Posted July 9, 2013

So cute!! Love the colors!

20. Carly says
    Posted July 9, 2013

Love this dress on you! You look great!

Carly

21. Kaily says

You look beautiful! I love the dress 🙂

22. Posted July 9, 2013

This is SO cute, and you’re right plenty of room for baby growth. I love that you can move the waist up or down depending.

Darn you and your sister for finding the CUTEST summer dresses that aren’t available anymore (that one she has in her most recent post is also to die for!)

23. Kate says
    Posted July 9, 2013

I found a great dress on target’s site. It is only online! It is a convertable dress. Basically, its a skirt with 2 super long straps that you can wrap and tie in a plethora of ways. They have a short (knee-length) dress and a long maxi both in several colors. They are perfect for vacations and cruises when you don’t want to pack a lot. There are videos on YouTube to assist in wrapping howtos. There is even room for the baby bump. O whish I had these last summer when I was expecting, but they are also perfect for a get dressed quick morning for a mom on the go.

• Vanessa says
      Posted July 9, 2013

What’s it called? This sounds like something I have been looking for, but I couldn’t find the right thing on Target’s website.

Posted July 11, 2013

Try this link
      this is the mobile site so if that doesn’t work try searching”convertible dress” on the target site.

24. Posted July 9, 2013

Oh my goodness! I love this!!

25. Summer says
    Posted July 9, 2013

So cute!! If you’re worried about the print (but dont be, it’s adorable!) you can always throw on a cardigan or jean jacket to break up the color a little bit.

26. Posted July 9, 2013

I actually love a pattern on you! It’s nice to step outside of the “neutral zone” once in a while 🙂

27. Posted July 9, 2013

Such a perfect summer dress! The colours and prints are lovely and suit you so well.
    You look beautiful.

Annette
    Lady of Style

28. Posted July 9, 2013

that dress is GORGEOUS, kate! you look beautiful!

29. Posted July 9, 2013

How does everyone cover up bra straps when wearing a maxi?

• Carole says
      Posted July 9, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

30. Posted July 9, 2013

Love it but HATE that a lof of these dresses call for a strapless bra. I’m a nursing mom so that doesn’t work for me.

31. Posted July 9, 2013

Love the dress!!! What an awesome print and it looks great on you!

Stylejourneys

32. Posted July 9, 2013

I really like that dress!

33. Posted July 9, 2013

Love the dress. Maxi’s are so much fun in the summer as they can easily be dressed up or down. The only downside is the hotness factor;)

34. Posted July 9, 2013

Aw, it’s very cute 🙂

35. Posted July 9, 2013

cute dress. I love maxi dresses and been trying to find me more b/c I only have 1.

36. AshleaD says
    Posted July 9, 2013

So cute! I love a great maxi! I found a great black and white chevron maxi at Kohl’s and I am wearing it out this summer! It’s up on my blog now!: ashleahd.blogspot.com

37. Posted July 9, 2013

This looks great on you. I so look forward to seeing what you are going to wear throughout the pregnancy! No pressure! 😉

38. Posted July 9, 2013

I picked up a maxi that’s similar style (with a drawstring waist-not print!) from Target and it has been one of my go to outfits this pregnancy and I’ll be 34 weeks this week. I always get tons of compliments, so I’m sure it will grow with you!

39. Posted July 10, 2013

Soma has wonderful maxi dresses for regular, tall and short. Highly recommend the quality and service- even online.

40. Posted July 10, 2013

maxi dress look great on you mam you are looking so gorgeous in this maxi.

41. Posted July 10, 2013

Oh my gosh! I have the same dress on my blog today! How funny! Don’t you just love it so much! it’s so comfy!! : )

Kayla

42. Posted July 13, 2013

LOVE LOVE LOVE

43. Kristen says
    Posted July 17, 2013

My skin is as light as yours but I also have terrible dark circles under my eyes. I’ve tried many of the products you’ve mentioned and they have really enhanced the look of my face. (I am terrible at makeup) My one question is do you have any suggestions for lightening dark circles? It doesn’t appear like you have any but I’ve tried literally EVERY product out there, even $100+ items. Any suggestions would be great!

44. rach says
    Posted July 19, 2013

i love the pattern of this dress! it really suits you; you look awesome.

45. Posted July 23, 2013

This maxi is nice and the color the design…

46. Posted November 29, 2013

I read your website and interested in cloth so we have top most branded and quality women’s clothing at affordable prices can often is a challenge. That’s why women’s online clothing stores have become so popular. We hope you enjoy our clothing range and shopping
    by
    trendyfor20.com

47. Posted January 22, 2014

Colorful, elegant, cheerful and fashionable, all these words won’t do justice to LA Femme dresses. These dresses are just perfect for classy parties and soirees. A wedding or prom, for sure you’ll find the dress to shine in and captive everyone’s eyes.

48. Posted March 1, 2014

My new dress was thin, and needed some sort of ironing/wrinkle release–we ironed mine on low, and it was totally fine. You have to have a good support with something like this.
    how to sell a wedding dress

49. Posted March 15, 2014

Nice blog !

50. Posted March 19, 2014

Hi guys, when I am actually willing of reading these blog post to be updated regularly. It offers fastidious stuff.
    bubblegum casting

51. Posted April 15, 2014

Really amazing blog, I’d love to discover some extra information. best shampoo for hair loss

52. Posted April 19, 2014

Hurrah, that’s what I was trying to get for, just what a stuff Presented at this blog!! Thanks admin of the site. bubblegum casting reviews

53. Posted April 25, 2014

This written piece gives fastidious understanding yet.
    This written piece gives fastidious understanding yet.

54. huafu says
    Posted March 31, 2015

Thank you for sharing,I already smell the summer