Emma Stone Inspired Casual Bun

I’ve loved this simple little updo that Emma wore a long time ago. I thought it looked fresh and young, and for some reason it took me until now to finally create a tutorial for it!
This is a great option for those of you with shorter hair. If you have a lot of layering, like I do, you may need to pin those stray hairs in place. Don’t overdo this style though! It’s supposed to be casual, soft, and not “perfect”.

Dress: Gap Outlet (not available online)
Earrings: Autumn Equinox on Etsy
necklace: J.Crew Factory (no longer available)
lipstick: Mac Lovelorn

(in case you missed it, I picked out some of my favorite nude/neutral nail polishes here!)

Comments

I love this! The humidity in NC kills my hair in the summer and it is usually up in a ponytail. This is a great alternative! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are feeling well!

I love love LOVE your hair tutorials! You have the best skills when it comes to showing how to achieve a style and I love the looks you create! Keep it up!

Okay Kate….
    In the pic looks like you braided the front but the video shows you just twisting it! I think I like the photo better.

Looks beautiful!

I love the casual look of this! Thanks for creating such great tutorials that are so easy to follow.

-Sarah
    sprinklesonmyicecream.blogspot.com

Kate – Kelly Stamps who writes Kelly’s Korner blog has HAIR as her “topic” today. Many people, myself included, commented about your fantastic, incredible tutorials, advice, teaching, blog, etc….. So if you suddenly find yourself with many new readers possibly they came from reading the recommendations that they totally needed to check out your awesome blog! Thank you for your tutorials and all you share!!!

Absolutely LOVE this style. I’m always looking for new hairstyles for my medium length layered hair and this hit the jackpot. Totally easy and great for second day hair. I used the Got2b powder’ful texturizer/styling powder and this worked great. Love, love love!

so I have a question, as simple as this style is to do, what do you do before you put it up? I find I spend SO much time getting my hair ready. just to put it up and I get frustrated with how much time I have to spend on it.

It looks like you curled your hair first? correct?

I love your tutorials, but I am not good with styling my hair at all. I struggle with the easy parts. So could I suggest/ ask for a Tutorial that teaches those of us who don’t know how to do anything? I guess I am asking if you could do one from “scratch”, like wet hair, out of the shower, and show how to just do simple things, an everyday-look, hair down, but really upscale not limp hair? Then I could try to follow the harder tutorials with the buns I hope!!

This is really cute! But with longer hair, how do you achieve the same look? My hair could probably loop around the bun about twice before I had ends to pin… But it really cute! …. Btw totally agree with Pam, easy parts such as braids frustrated me…

I attempted this look this morning and wasn’t sure if I would be able to recreate it. I got to work and my boss came by my desk and she said how cute my hair was today. My semi-failed new look was a success!