Emma Stone Inspired Casual Bun

I’ve loved this simple little updo that Emma wore a long time ago. I thought it looked fresh and young, and for some reason it took me until now to finally create a tutorial for it!
This is a great option for those of you with shorter hair. If you have a lot of layering, like I do, you may need to pin those stray hairs in place. Don’t overdo this style though! It’s supposed to be casual, soft, and not “perfect”.

Dress: Gap Outlet (not available online)
Earrings: Autumn Equinox on Etsy
necklace: J.Crew Factory (no longer available)
lipstick: Mac Lovelorn

(in case you missed it, I picked out some of my favorite nude/neutral nail polishes here!)

1. JANNA says

This is sooooooo CUTE! I live it and it’s so different! Thanks! 😉

• JANNA says

*love it not live it

2. Posted July 15, 2013

Such a cute hairstyle! I’m going to pin it, so I can try it out asap!

3. Jamie says
    Posted July 15, 2013

Love the simplicity yet classiness of this look. Perfect for the summertime!

4. Posted July 15, 2013

I love this! The humidity in NC kills my hair in the summer and it is usually up in a ponytail. This is a great alternative! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are feeling well!

5. Posted July 15, 2013

LOVE this!!!

6. Carly says
    Posted July 15, 2013

This is stunning, perfect for summer heat!

Carly

7. Posted July 15, 2013

Love the look! Good job!

xx- missmacbeauty.blogspot.com

8. Kelsea says
    Posted July 15, 2013

I love this! Trying it this week!

9. Posted July 15, 2013

I am going to try this very soon!!!

10. Posted July 15, 2013

I LOVE this look — perfect for a hot summer day! xo

11. Posted July 15, 2013

Such a pretty look! Perfect for summer 🙂
    xoxo
    Suzanne from written by suzanne

12. Posted July 15, 2013

yay! I’m getting my hair cut short today and was worried about what I was going to do without my messy bun.

anniereeves.com

13. Posted July 15, 2013

Perfect as usual… Totally helps I have a major girl crush on Emma!

14. Posted July 15, 2013

love how cute and easy this is!!

15. Martyna says
    Posted July 15, 2013

this look amazing! it’s perfect for the summer xx

Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

16. Missy says
    Posted July 15, 2013

Kate, can you please tell me the paint color behind you on the wall in the still pics?!??! Thank you!

Posted July 15, 2013

We are renting this place so I don’t know!

• Missy says
      Posted July 15, 2013

Ok, thank you! What a great find, with that perfect trendy grey color. I’m sure you love it:)

17. Katy W says
    Posted July 15, 2013

I love love LOVE your hair tutorials! You have the best skills when it comes to showing how to achieve a style and I love the looks you create! Keep it up!

18. Nana T says

Okay Kate….
    In the pic looks like you braided the front but the video shows you just twisting it! I think I like the photo better.

Looks beautiful!

Posted July 15, 2013

It’s twisted in the photo too

19. Ashley says
    Posted July 15, 2013

I love this hairstyle and I do it all the time, especially in the summer months! I just posted a similar hairstyle on my blog today 🙂

xo,
    Sincerely Miss Ash

20. Posted July 15, 2013

Caaauuute! Also on your nude nails, which one exactly do you use?

21. Posted July 15, 2013

Caaauuute! Also on your nude nails, which one exactly do you use?

22. Sarah says
    Posted July 16, 2013

I love the casual look of this! Thanks for creating such great tutorials that are so easy to follow.

-Sarah
    sprinklesonmyicecream.blogspot.com

23. Lindsey says
    Posted July 16, 2013

Your lipstick color is amazing! 🙂

-Lindsey | Zip & Zeal

24. Posted July 16, 2013

I love this!!!!! Def going to try it tomorrow for work! Thank so much!

25. Posted July 16, 2013

I love this! My hair is finally the perfect length for this style 🙂

26. Posted July 16, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

27. Posted July 17, 2013

This is so cute and wearable- love it!!

-Maddy @ http://www.BeautyBanterBlog.com

28. Sarah says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Kate – Kelly Stamps who writes Kelly’s Korner blog has HAIR as her “topic” today. Many people, myself included, commented about your fantastic, incredible tutorials, advice, teaching, blog, etc….. So if you suddenly find yourself with many new readers possibly they came from reading the recommendations that they totally needed to check out your awesome blog! Thank you for your tutorials and all you share!!!

29. Posted July 18, 2013

What is the name of the texturizer you used?

30. Erica says
    Posted July 19, 2013

Absolutely LOVE this style. I’m always looking for new hairstyles for my medium length layered hair and this hit the jackpot. Totally easy and great for second day hair. I used the Got2b powder’ful texturizer/styling powder and this worked great. Love, love love!

31. Posted July 19, 2013

This is great, I needed more easy hairstyle ideas for keeping my hair tied back in the summer heat:)

32. Unknown says
    Posted July 20, 2013

so I have a question, as simple as this style is to do, what do you do before you put it up? I find I spend SO much time getting my hair ready. just to put it up and I get frustrated with how much time I have to spend on it.

It looks like you curled your hair first? correct?

33. Pam says
    Posted July 21, 2013

I love your tutorials, but I am not good with styling my hair at all. I struggle with the easy parts. So could I suggest/ ask for a Tutorial that teaches those of us who don’t know how to do anything? I guess I am asking if you could do one from “scratch”, like wet hair, out of the shower, and show how to just do simple things, an everyday-look, hair down, but really upscale not limp hair? Then I could try to follow the harder tutorials with the buns I hope!!

• Posted August 7, 2013

I think she has ones like that but I’m not sure…I know there is one on how to tease hair, and one on how to curl.

34. Posted July 25, 2013

just love the look..but looks complicated to try.. will try with the help of my frnd who works at http://www.hairstylescut.com

35. Paula says
    Posted August 4, 2013

This is really cute! But with longer hair, how do you achieve the same look? My hair could probably loop around the bun about twice before I had ends to pin… But it really cute! …. Btw totally agree with Pam, easy parts such as braids frustrated me…

36. Posted August 7, 2013

Love this! Pretty much what I do to my hair a lot in the Summer. Thanks for sharing 🙂

37. jlsat4 says
    Posted September 19, 2013

Loved this tutorial! So cute and easy. I enjoy your blog so much! Thanks Kate 🙂

38. Posted October 29, 2013

I attempted this look this morning and wasn’t sure if I would be able to recreate it. I got to work and my boss came by my desk and she said how cute my hair was today. My semi-failed new look was a success!

39. Posted July 2, 2014

minecraft texture packs 1.6.4

40. Malia says
    Posted July 17, 2014

Lol i just did it and it looked SO CUTE but then the clear alastic broke.

41. Posted August 20, 2014