A slouchy tee : day to evening

We’re in this strange phase of either 80 or 65 degrees here in North Carolina. Don’t get me wrong, part of me is glad, since my love for wearing scarves can live on just a little bit longer.

More than ever I’ve been drawn to slightly slouchy, relaxed t-shirts that aren’t super casual but aren’t too dressy or blouse-like either. A perfect example of what I mean is what I’m wearing in this post. The material is “drapey” and comfortable, and it can be pretty versatile. I love the zippers at the shoulders, and the slouchy pocket.

This top (and the scarf shown below) came from Hot Mama (shopmama.com). Have you heard of that store? You might be thinking the same thing I was when I first heard about it– “oh, cute maternity store name. . .” but you are wrong! It is not a maternity store. It’s full of really cool, trendy and classic pieces that will live in your wardrobe for many seasons. Whenever I’m home, my mom, sister and I will pop into the Hot Mama in Naperville. I can’t wait until they branch out down south!

I’m a big supporter of entrepreneurs, so I loved reading the story of how Hot Mama began

For running errands, I throw this top on with my favorite skinny ankle jeans and some mini-wedges.

top: c/o Hot Mama (I’m wearing a small)
mini wedges: Madewell (on sale)

If I have plans later that evening, I just switch out my shoes and throw on a scarf (if it’s one of those 65 degree days), and if I *could* wear earrings I would put on some bright, summery ones.

top: c/o Hot Mama (I’m wearing a Small)
peep toe wedges: Nine West (so comfortable)
scarf: c/o Hot Mama
Just two little subtle changes, and the outfit feels refreshed and a tiny bit more dressed up. Adding a layer, whether it be jewelry, a scarf, or a sweater, will instantly spice up even the most simple of outfits.

*nails: Essie’s California Coral

Comments

This look is totally me! I love it, especially when you add the wedges and scarf (I’m such a scarf person!). I also really like your ankle length jeans! I’ve been in the market for this style for a while, but have never found something that fits just right. I so need to check these out at J. Crew!

Adorable top and scarf! We have a Hot Mama in our mall, but I have never been in it since I always thought that it was a little pricey. However, I may finally have to stop in there today since I’ll be out at the mall getting a couple things/browsing after work.

We used to live in Naperville! I have walked by hot mama many times! I’m a big fan of that top. I love loose fitting tops, especially since I recently had a baby!

Thanks for the cute post! Stop by my blog sometime :)

Marissa @ ourlittlefamblog.blogspot.com

I’ve heard of this Hot Mama store and instantly thought maternity!

Naperville isn’t far from me.. I’ll have to check it out!!!

P.S. I love that scarf!!!!!

Kate- I have just recently started following your blog (and your sister’s). Love them both! I have completely revamped my makeup style because of your blog (working on the hair, I’m terrible at “doin hair”). I actually never wear makeup but I bought a few products you suggested back in March and tried them out for a wedding I was in, and haven’t stopped wearing them since. BB Cream is like, a godsend. :) I have been in love with coral for oh, about a year and half now, so it is great to see so many shades of it available in make up, clothes, jewelry, and my personal fav- home decor. Anyways, my point for commenting was to ask why you can’t wear earrings? I might have missed an earlier post that explains that. :) Thanks for sharing your style tips with all of us! I was tickled when I found out you were a local gal. I don’t know why- but that made me love your blog even more! :) -Jill

I love that you mention Naperville — I grew up down near Kankakee and did my undergrad in Naperville, IL. Now, living in Kansas City, it was a fun walk down memory lane to hear about one of the stores there!

Greetings from Naperville! I did a double-take when I read that in your post today. And incidentally, Hot Mama certainly has cute clothes, but even better SALES! Their clearance rack is amazing. :)

(BTW, I also loved your post last month about the joys of Portillo’s as well! Keep the Chicago love flowing!)

That T is soooo cute! I love t shirts but struggle with finding ones that are cute and don’t just look like a hanes or graphic t

Hey Kate,
    Honestly I’ve never been great with hair, and sometimes my fashion lacks (grew up a farm girl who doesn’t care what others think of her). I recently found your blog and can’t get enough. The first thing I thought was wow she’s beautiful! Has anyone ever told you that you look a look a lot like Elizabeth Banks, but prettier?

I have passed by the Hot Mama shop in Oak Brook Mall a million times thinking it was a maternity shop! I’m SO glad you mentioned that it’s not! Thank you! I purchased a few pieces from there this evening and I’m sure I will be popping in again soon!

Random question – what size of curling iron do you use to get that great wave/curl? I think mines too big. My hair is about 2 inches shorter than yours and I’m failing at creating this adorable look.

Kate,
    This is a perfect look for a SAHM like me. You can dress it up if you need to run to the kids school, the store, etc.

I noticed someone mentioned your sisters blog. What is it?!

you have such a classy and preppy yet distinct style about you that I love. I hope you can check out our online store Style Closet which carries Australian clothing brands.I can actually picture you wearing one of our Ruby Sees All LADY OF THE LAND TEE tops with sequinned details. I truly think you will appreciate its soft and relaxed style fit. Please do keep posting more stuff in your blog. i really enjoy reading and checking out the photos that you post. cheers! :)

Kate-
    What I enjoy about this post is how realistic you are when it comes to the prices of your clothing and accessories. After reading your post, I realized that even I could go out and buy these jeans and scarf! Thanks for a great read, keep up the good work. Cannot wait for the next post!

This design is incredible! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!)
    Great job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how
    you presented it. Too cool!