A different kind of video shoot // NYC trip

I had a really exciting opportunity come my way recently– I’ll share what I can about it!

I worked with BlogHer and a cosmetic company on 4 videos showing a variety of “looks”. The production crew was a lot of fun, and very gracious/patient/helpful/kind as I struggled through it. Plus, Caitlin, the makeup artist who assisted me (she could see how it looked in the monitor and made any adjustments–such a nice thing to have someone help with) was both talented and very helpful as well.

It was a long day for everyone, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Here are some “behind the scenes” shots from Caitlin.

These were only two of the four looks, and like I mentioned above–I’ll share more details when I can. 🙂

And for those who don’t follow on twitter or instagram, here are a few snapshots from the rest of my time in NYC! The weather could not have been better. It was beautiful and sunny both days.

Tuesday was spent behind the camera the entire day, so all of these photos were taken on Wednesday.

Mr. Softee is just the best. I enjoyed this thoroughly. And nothing, nothing, makes you feel cooler than standing on the sidewalk by yourself eating an ice cream cone. #totallyworthit

I had a lovely lunch with Maura at RealSimple.com, and we chatted about some upcoming projects!

My friend Crystal (remember her from this post?) is so kind and hospitable. I stopped in the Waldorf Astoria to say “hi” and she gave me a behind the scenes tour of the kitchens, gave me delicious cupcakes, and showed me a few other “secret” places in the hotel. I wish I had more time to hang with her!

I finished the day with dinner at Pret A Manger. It was delicious!

New York City is really a pleasure to visit. This trip triggered so many memories from my trip with Justin last year and I’m hoping we can make it back here again soon.
I’m looking forward to sharing the final projects with you all when I can!

1. Posted April 11, 2013

What a fun trip and fabulous opportunity!! Can’t wait to see more!

2. Posted April 11, 2013

Looks like you had a great time. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Keep up the good work.

3. Sally says
    Posted April 11, 2013

I’ve followed you for a while now. Love your sweet, kind, sincere way! Glad you are getting these opportunities. Enjoy every minute!

4. Posted April 11, 2013

Congrats !! How Exciting !!
    You look Fabulous …
    Cant wait to see the finished project.
    Hugs ~ Connie xox

5. Laura says
    Posted April 11, 2013

Would love to follow you on Instagram…who are you there?

same as twitter : K8_smallthings 🙂

6. Posted April 11, 2013

You are a STAR!!! That must have been such a cool experience!!

~Kimberley

7. Posted April 11, 2013

Congrats!! It looks like a fun trip!! 🙂

8. Posted April 11, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

9. Posted April 11, 2013

I have been following your blog for a while now and it’s awesome to see how successful you are in the blogosphere. Very inspiring! Congratulations on this new project!!

10. Posted April 11, 2013

so fun, I would love to go to New York someday, but for now I’m happy just seeing your pictures and reading about your experiences there 🙂

11. Posted April 11, 2013

I’m really looking forward to seeing this project! Your trip to New York seemed so fun! Congratulations Kate! 🙂

12. Heather says
    Posted April 11, 2013

Looking forward to seeing the end result! And Mr. Softee is by far the best!!!!

13. Posted April 11, 2013

I am so distracted by that ice cream cone!! It looks soooo delish!!!

Making It Sparkle

It WAS. The best!

14. Posted April 11, 2013

How fun!! I hope you had a blast! : )

Kayla

15. Posted April 11, 2013

Your calves are rockin’! Good job!

16. Posted April 11, 2013

Girl, I have total vacation (and hair.. and makeup!) envy! I’m so glad I could live vicariously through you via Instagram–NYC is my dream trip!

17. Posted April 11, 2013

Hi! Just a couple questions: May I ask where you got your iphone case? I really like it! Is it rubber? Do you like it? Has it held up well? Just looking for a new one to protect my phone since I’ve occasionally dropped it. Also, is the fingernail polish in this post the Lucky Lucky Lavendar by OPI?

Posted April 11, 2013

It’s from Pencil Shavings Studio, it’s not rubber, and I love it. Nail color is Neo Whimsical 🙂

18. Posted April 11, 2013

Hi Kate-
    My husband & I are going to NYC at the end of the month & would love some restaurant recommendations?

19. Posted April 11, 2013

What a cool project, I can’t wait to see more! I love Pret too 😉

Kristina does the Internets

20. Dott says
    Posted April 11, 2013

You are looking so fit! You’ve inspired me to get back to the gym. Starting tomorrow 🙂

21. Jess says
    Posted April 11, 2013

I love love love NYC! I would love to go to blogger conference or something there, someday! You look just beautiful in all of these pictures by the way.

Some Snapshots Blog
    Jess

22. Posted April 11, 2013

lucky you! way to go…so exciting!

xo Andrea

23. Amy says
    Posted April 11, 2013

So excited to hear more about this project! What is the color of the nail polish you were wearing in the ice cream pic? Love it!!

• Dott says

I think that OPI Lucky Lavendar from her favorites video 🙂

close one Dott! IT’s Neo Whimsical by Essie 🙂

• Amy says
      Posted April 16, 2013

Great! Thanks!!

24. Posted April 11, 2013

Ever since I found your blog on pinterest I have fallen in love with it! I look forward to reading your new post every morning! Congrats on your opportunity to go to NY! Very envious! 🙂

25. Nic says
    Posted April 11, 2013

Is that a MINT green Kate Spade Little Minka bag????!!! I LOVE IT! I have it in black. I just now saw that they have it in MINT! ADORABLE! Just had to say…

26. Nic says
    Posted April 11, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

27. Posted April 11, 2013

Love all your snapshots from the city! It made me go get some frozen yogurt with sprinkles yesterday :))
    Can’t wait to see the videos once they are out!!

28. Posted April 11, 2013

What a fun trip Kate!!

29. Belinda says
    Posted April 11, 2013

Good for you Kate, its about time the you get some national attention

30. Posted April 11, 2013

Where did you get that pink dress from?? It’s super cute!!

31. Dana says
    Posted April 12, 2013

Oh, my goodness! What a completely fun trip! Cupcakes, ice cream, New York is a food Mecca. I’ve been once and SO love it there. My hubby’s been three times in the past year and he always hits me up for ideas of bakeries to visit. It looks like you had a blast!!

32. Posted April 12, 2013

Awesome, I must say I am jealous of your little trip to NYC even though the flight delays were a pain. What nail color is that, it looks like the perfect spring/summer color?

33. Posted April 12, 2013

Wow, looks like so much fun! You are so adorable and they are lucky to be working with you! Cheers!

34. Posted April 12, 2013

Can’t wait to see the BlogHer stuff! Looks like you had fun!
    XOXO
    dani
    Love Me, Dani Marie

35. Posted April 12, 2013

I must know where you got that polka dot top in the elevator pic! You look great, as always, and it seems like you had a good time in NYC. Thanks for all your fun posts!

36. Posted April 13, 2013

I’m with you Laura Noll, Kate’s calves look incredible! I wish mine looked that shapely and beautiful! Your running and lower body workouts are amazingly effective!

37. Posted April 13, 2013

That is so cool! Congratulations on being a part of something like that 🙂

xo samantha

38. Posted July 3, 2013

The Luxury DreamTrips Membership is for those who desire the very best when it comes to travel. The Luxury DreamTrips Membership grants you access to a calendar of Luxury DreamTrips to some of the most spectacular destinations worldwide. The Luxury DreamTrips Membership is for the discerning traveler. Your Luxury DreamTrips Membership is your gateway to some of the most spectacular destinations worldwide.

Dreamtrip
    Dream life
    Luxury DreamTrips
    DreamTrips Life

39. Liz #1 says
    Posted July 28, 2013

I also am distracted by the ice cream cone! The next time you plan a trip you need let Family In New York be part of the plans! They offer custom private New York tours. They can create a tour with your unique interests in mind, take you off the beaten path and show you NYC in a whole new way, and make sure at some point during your day you get ice cream.

40. Posted September 9, 2013

whata a great blog! Fantastic opportunity, I am in NYC now visiting. I never get tiered of this wonderful city. Soon will be sharing it on my blog.

41. Posted November 11, 2013

Touring quickly? Study our own recommendations for traveling having house animals.
    Cayo Coco

42. Posted January 19, 2014

Effectively teaching elementary math to children aged 5 to 10 (Grade 1,Grade 2,Grade 3,Grade 4,Grade 5).Great for Homeschool kids! All math results are logged and graded and we show how they are improving through real-time feedback.click hereeducation