the messiest of buns hair tutorial

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten a request for a hair tutorial on these messy buns:

And I’m not surprised these are a favorite! They are stunning. The perfect amount of mess.

Here’s the thing with messy buns though–it’s nearly impossible to dupilcate one exactly. So, when you are trying to recreate, don’t be frustrated if your messy bun doesn’t look exactly like a photo. Embrace it as your own personal mess.

The main reason I put this tutorial off was because I thought my Double Bun tutorial or Messy Ponytail/Bun tutorial would suffice. However, there are other steps to go through for these messy buns, so I created a new tutorial.

For this style you’ll need two clear elastics, bobby pins, texture powder (or texture spray), hairspray, and a comb.
The texture powder I’m using in this tutorial is by Lanza. The Redken Quick Tease Spray (which I don’t use by I refer to) can be found here.

lipstick: J. Crew (similar)
nail polish: Lucky Lucky Lavender by OPI (a new favorite!)
sweater: Old Navy
collared shirt: H&M

Comments

I love this :) I used to wear my hair in a messy bun all the time in high school, because it was easy when I was running late (90% of the time, hehe).

1. You have the prettiest, messiest bun ever.
    2. Just got that sweater from Old Navy and LOVE it. Also wanted to grab all the polka dotted ones while I was there…
    3. I am inspired by your bold lip color…but I’m not brave enough.
    4. Off topic but wanted you to know that you have been a huge part in inspiring me to go to cosmetology school. I’m starting at the end of the month!! :) So thanks!!

Lauren
    My Polished Side Blog

I believe that the picture might come from The Beauty Department. It looks pretty similar to their typography. :)

Also, great job on the tutorial! I’ll be sure to try it out!

Hi Kate, I am proud to say that I have done this similarly after being inspired by the double bun, so you are definitely helping me unleash the small amount of creativity I have been blessed with! Secondly, I do see in the supplies needed “2 clear elastics”, but I only see you using one, so just making sure I didn’t miss something?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It’s been years since I worse a messy bun but I am re-inspired!!

Your hair tutorials are AWESOME, because of you I purchased my first ever curling iron AND actually curl my hair on a regular basis!

Thanks for giving me good hair days :)

This is SO cute…I’m going to try it, and for the record I LOVE YOUR BLOG. Been looking at if for about 8 months regularly and attempting to do my hair a little more creatively!! I do have a question and I don’t have twitter!!

I have super slick hair and my hair tends to not stay with hair spray alone even following your tutorials…I do have virgin hair, fine but a lot of it….so medium thickness I’d say…I use the Kendra hair spray you recommended and my hair won’t even hold a tease…it is just SO shiny and slippery…any recommendations….. let me know….I would be forever grateful as it is SUPER frustrating..is there a product to add texture you recommend??

mandyandbraden.blogspot.com

I love love love this tutorial! Since I began following your blog last year, I’ve been inspired to grow out the short choppy bob style that I had been “rockin” since 2008…YIKES!! Now my hair is just past shoulder length & I’m using a curling iron for the first time in years. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Hi! This is fantastic! I like to refer to myself as a “fledgling fashionista” — I was always a jeans-and-t-shirt girl in college but now that I live in Kansas City and work in an office, I want to do a better job of keeping up with fashion and style. Your blog has been MASSIVELY helpful, and I’m glad my friend Sharlene recommended it to me.

I have a question about this particular style — if you have straight, front bangs, is this messy bun still an option? I know I’ve probably seen it done, but I’m having trouble figuring out how my bangs would play into this. They look fine when I do some loose curls (I have very straight hair) but obviously the dynamic changes when hair is pulled back vs. hanging loose.

Any advice on how to make this work with my bands is appreciated, even if that advice is, “Don’t do this hair style.” Thanks, and keep up the GREAT work!

YAY! I love hair bun tutorials!! I am def gonna try this one :) And I totally heart your sweater!! Hope you are having a fabulous Monday & thanks for the great tutorial!!

xoxo,
    Shio

Hi Kate, I love this look! Your tutorials are great! I have watched all of them and every Tuesday try the newest one from Monday :) I love the messy bun look, I have long, thick curly hair so this is perfect for me. Thank you for all the great tutorials!!

Jacquie

First off, I’m in LOVE with your lipstick!
    I have a question that has nothing to do with this look, but it is about hair! Lol
    My question is how can i make those skinny elastic head bands work? I love the look with a little bit of tease, or pulled back into a bun, but they always seem to roll up and slip out of my hair! I usually get so frustrated with fixing it over and over that i give up and yank the darn thing out of my hair. I have tried bobby pins but i feel like i need to many for it to stay put (and look decent) please help!
    Thank you!

I love your blog so much! Your tutorials are fantastic, especially for hairstyle challenged individuals such as myself! You’ve inspired me to stop wearing my hair in a plain old ponytail. Thank you!

Hi Kate! I love the lipstick you are wearing and having been looking everwhere for it. The link you listed for a similar lipcolor goes to a hair product. Could you suggest a similar color? Thank you

That is a gorgeous bun. I’m going to have to try this, but I can almost promise that I will not get it right. I’m jealous of your hair styling abilities!

Alyssa
    ruffleandcurl.com

I have such a hard time getting that kind of volume/height at the crown like you. And I LOVE the way that looks, so any suggestions on how to regularly pull it off?? Love love love your blog! :)

Kate, your hair tutorials are just the best. You always give such great detailed instruction and these are all so easy to follow. Thank you for taking the time to make these for us more hair inept peoples :)

As Kate hasn’t answered some of the questions, but I’m sure she will eventually:

1. Her hair was quite obviously curled before reacting the messy bun.
    2. Her advice to try this a few times before the day you actually need it, is good. I have followed this advice, and it works!

Bon chance.

I did the alternative bun yesterday and the messiest bun today. Mine is 2 day old curled hair. Keeping cool and it’s looking good! Thank you thank you. Miriam

Thank you soooooo much for your blog.
    (I feel like I’m cool again.) I could never quite get how girls were getting their hair to look so cute. Now I’m in the loop. :) Thank you!!! Keep sending us new sykes please.

I am nearly 40 years old and I have been loving messy buns but this is the first tutorial that I actually thought I could make it work and DID… thanks for posting your tutorials. I love your hair. Your blog has inspired me to try new things with mine.

Both my sons and my husband were in his sister’s wedding yesterday. It was on an island where we needed to take a ferry early in the morning. I practiced a few of the updo’s you taught me prior to the wedding but I settled on the messy bun for my hair. Because I needed to get my 6 & 2 year olds into their tuxes I didn’t have a lot of time before pictures. I forgot to bring a mirror so I couldn’t check the back but the maid of honour couldn’t believe I did it myself (and so quick!) and she wished I had done hers too! Thank you Kate!

So it will take some practice and my hair isn’t quite long enough yet…but I am giving a good try. When it is 97 outside, thick curly hair MUST BE UP! LOL

You are my hero! I have VERY thin hair and I have NEVER been able to keep it in a bun no matter how many bobby pins or twist pins I use. It always falls out. This messy bun is fantastic and easy and best of all, IT WORKS in my hair! And today I tried the pony tail messy bun and it worked wonderfully too! I only wish I’d found your tutorials at the beginning of summer, when all I could muster was a boring pony tail to keep my hair off my neck. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Advice needed, please. I have long hair, just past bra-line, only very slightly layered. . When I double it over to wrap the elastic around, I just have a big pouf of folded over hair. Very hard to muss up after elasticizing, cuz nothing really happens. Any tips on how to refashion this for long hair?

Thanks for sharing this site, it is very informative for the business personals.Keep on continuing with this.Also visit my site Merchandise liquidators We offer a wide selection of brand name items from major department stores and much more. If you can’t find what you are looking for listed than feel free to contact us.

26. Annie says

I love this tutorial and I love your bun. Its just so simple and yet so pretty, and I love it! I’ve been trying for days to make a messy bun but I just couldn’t get it right. But this one’s helped me loads and I finally have my beautiful ‘own personal mess’. Thanks a lot! :)

You get out of Facebook what you set into it. There may be so
    much potential for ANY sort of business on Facebook, BUT you
    need three things to be successful. Nice content material catered for
    Facebook, a strong technique (primarily based around a FB editorial calendar), and last however not least a bit of paid advertisements.
    Marketo isn’t your average firm on Fb.