She goes Ombré.

My sister has always been a little bit more adventurous with her hair color than me. Maybe it’s because I can talk her into things. . .who am I kidding, the girl knows what she likes. In a sense, she’s my easiest client because she knows more than the average client about color. But, in another sense, she’s my most difficult becuase I find that I feel a different kind of pressure doing her color.

I mean, she’s my sister. I sure hope she likes what I do.

Two weeks ago we talked about doing ombré. We’ve been working lowlights into her color for the past few months, but she wanted to dive a little deeper into darker hair color. I was all for it. She looks great with dark hair.

We went through pinterest and talk about what we were going to go for.

See, there is a lot of variety in ombre, from subtle to extreme. Here are a few examples:

This is a perfect example of subtle ombré:

Her lighter ends are only about two shades lighter than her roots.

This is sort of in the middle between subtle and bold:

Her end color is closer to 4-5 levels of difference from her roots.

This is a perfect example of subtle ombré on her ends:

This is extreme:

Oh Drew. Brush it!

So we decided to start out soft with Lauren’s ombré:

Her original formula was highlights with Redken’s Up to 7 / 20 vol. & lowlights of Redken Shades EQ 7gb + 6g / Processing Solution. I placed 1 highlight to every 2 lowlights.

Her ombré formula was Redken Shades EQ 6gb + cap full of 5n. Since she was already light, I colored her hair from roots to tip, except I left out about 3-4 inches of her ends. She processed for 30 minutes at room temperature and was left with a beautiful toffee colored “base” with lighter ends!

She’s a tiny beauty! I think she looks great with this richer, warmer tone.

Have you jumped on this hair color trend yet? It definitely isn’t for everyone, but if you think you can pull it off, give it a shot!

Comments

I tried it and it faded out within a week but I have very dark hair. I think if you do it right it looks nice but if you do it with the colors too different it just looks like you haven’t dyed your roots in a long time. This looks great on her. You did a good job blending it to look natural!

2. Anonymous says

I love the ombre look and I think your sister’s hair turned out GREAT! I have long hair and have been thinking about doing ombre but I would like to see what ombre looks like on straight hair….looks great with curled hair but I can’t curl my hair every day! ;)

i went ombre! but uh. i didn’t do it on purpose.

i used to have really bold blonde highlights. then i got kind of broke and stopped getting my highlights retouched. (i have dirty blonde hair so it wasn’t THAT noticeable.)

but a year later, with the darker on the top and the lighter on the ends, i don’t feel so bizarre because IT’S A STYLE NOW.

i can’t believe my beauty faux paus turned into a trend. it’s so fortunate for me and my wallet!

• says

That’s kind of what happened to me…had high lights, decided to later add low lights, low lights faded out, but my bleach is still there, and then my hair grew. 10 months later (yeah, Woah), ombre hair. I want the bleach out and to go a bit darker (my hubby and daughter are both dark, and maybe it’s strange but I want to look like my family!), so I’m working on growing and cutting it out. So glad this is a trend right now…I’m going to ride it out as long as possible!!

This is my favorite ombre execution I’ve seen! I’ve been wanting to show my stylist something very subtle, just to give my dark hair some depth. Everything I found on pinterest was way too drastic though. This is exactly what I was thinking! So blended and natural! It’s gorgeous!

5. Mia says

I would love to ombre my hair…. and I’m doing it the cheap way by letting my heavily highlighted hair grow out! We’re on a budget these days thanks to our 7-month-old little man. He’s worth it. :)

6. Beth says

I saw the pics posted on facebook and you two totally inspired me to do it! I even printed the pictures to show my stylist exactly what I wanted! Love it and love your blog!

Her hair looks great! I recently went ombre and I LOVE IT! my hair is just past my shoulders. I have been growing it out for about 7 months now. I think the ombre will look even better with longer hair.

I went ombre last week and am loving it! My hair is down the middle of the my back so having some extra length to play with really brought out some great results. I’m getting comments on it everywhere I go. Such a great trend, particularly for the fall.

• says

With Ombre, the goal is to only lighten the ends of the hair. It’s a gradual lightness from the tips to darker at the root. Balayage is a technique for highlighting hair in a more natural looking way–like the sun did it–from root to tip.

• says

Thank you for taking time to answer my question. I get so confused on these two styles, but now it makes sense! I currently have my hair styled as balayage. Have a blessed day!

9. Anonymous says

Do you think you could do a whole blog/video about ombre hair? I want to do that to my hair, but I don’t want anything to dramatic, and don’t know how to explain that to my stylist. Maybe you could also talk about the best way to get a natural look. Maybe a whole q & a video on ombre hair!!

You did a great job! LOVE it! I’ve lightened my dirty blond hair for years, mostly at a salon. It got to be so expensive, that I decided to go natural. The result after 6 months of growing out my hair is a natural looking very subtle ombre. Once my hair is a bit longer I might add a few highlights at the end for more ombre (but not Drew Barrymore bad ombre).

every time I see the “ombre” look I just think “oh, hasn’t been to the salon to get her roots touched up from the spring highlights.” Does that make me sound old?

Her hair looks gorg!!! I love it! She is so much braver than me. I think with my blonde hair, I would just look like I needed to wash it or get my roots done. Your hair looks beautiful Lauren!

ok kate so this is a two part question. right now my hair is colored very dark brown. would it be damaging to do ombre hair on dark dark hair?

and question two: does ombre hair tend to be less expensive than full blown highlights?

thankyou
    krystle

aplatefulofhappiness.blogspot.com

• says

It would depend on how light you go on your ends–the lighter you go, the more work/damage the color can do to your hair.

And typically Ombre is more expensive since it’s a specialty technique–but ask your salon!

I have red hair but I have been dying to try this look! Is there a way to keep the color of my natural red hair but add in some lighter ends so that it doesn’t just make my hair look all thin at the ends? I would love to jump on this train but I don’t want my hair to look like a train wreck!

It looks beautiful! I was thinking about it and then I saw your pictures on Instagram and since then I started thinking about it even more. I want something subtle, nothing crazy. Maybe like the first picture you have.

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Love the darker color on Lauren – it is so much more rich and suits her face. It turned out fabulous – wish I lived closer so I could come to you to get my hair done!!!

She looks great! I did a DIY Ombre and I love it although I’m now kinda worried it’s more of a Summer trend. I did mine lightening the ends as my hair is naturally brown.
    I watched all the youtube videos I could find on how to do it and finally got it done. Since my hair is so dark I had to do it in two steps (waiting a few weeks between bleaching). I’m satisfied with the end result and the fact that I don’t have to worry about roots. I spent about $40 for the supplies for a look that could have cost me hundreds at the salon.

I have an appointment to get mine done next Friday, and am so excited! My hair is pretty dark, and I want to keep it that way, so I want mine to be only like two shades lighter toward the end… I am leaning toward a look like Lea Michele, with a touch of Rachel Bilson and Lily Aldridge… add in a hint of auburn undertones… hopefully it turns out Ok!

19. Sara says

My stylist (ex-stylist, that is) did an ombre on my hair back in August, and I HATED it! I ended up getting a box color at Walmart a week later to cover it up. The problem with my situation was that my hair is really short (graduated bob), and the lighter color was too copper-y. I couldn’t believe I let her do it…I thought that since she suggested it, it would look good, but that was SOOOOO not the case! Will NEVER do it again! Looks good on some people (like your sis), but definitely works best on longer hair.

20. Kerri says

Oh I love it! Have been thinking of doing something similar for a while so may take this photo in to my hairdressers next visit as my inspiration!
    Can I ask how you curled her hair also?

21. Anonymous says

Can you do this with red hair? Or does it just look really odd? I think its beautiful and while I love, love, love being red, I would like to change things up now and then…

I am NOT a fan of the ombre look but I think the one you did looks great and did it right. Most of the celebrity ones a la Drew Barrymore look so dirty to me.