The Lace

This is a first for me. First lace top, and first cropped top.

But it’s cream and comfortable and I absolutely fell in love with it (and the red one) at Madewell. I love finding “statement” pieces that I can wear without a sweater because I’m much more likely to wear it at the studio. I’ve found that it gets a little bit toasty wearing a top + a sweater + an apron while using a blow dryer or flat iron, so the fewer layers on top for me the better.

Here are a few different ways to wear it, or “feature” it if you will:

With a Dress

This style was recommended via my sister and one of the employee’s at the store. I’d say they were both right on–I loved wearing it with this dress.
Oh and the dress? On clearance for $17.00 at Tar-jay! (<—-that’s Target.)
The belt is from J.Crew, but Target has a wide, WIDE assortment of any color belt you could possibly want.
The necklace is from Nordstrom, last year, and the shoes are Alfani brand.

With Cropped Pants

These are the Gap ankle zip pants that I love. I have them in navy blue (seen here) and grey (called Shark Fin in stores, they do not sell the grey online). They are comfortable, adorable, and an easy swap out for my usual denim.

The tank is from Banana Republic a few years ago, and the necklace is from J.Crew outlet. My shoes are Franco Sarto via Tj Maxx.

With Jeans

This is probably the most common way I’ll wear this top, but it needs the right tank underneath. I didn’t want to wear something too form fitting, since I don’t want the lace top to hang too far from my body, so this was the loosest tank I could find. I think it would be a little prettier if I wore a cream, or beige tank, you know what I  mean?
My jeans are my favorite j.crew jeans from last year, and my shoes are Alfani.

Have you jumped on the lace trend yet? It’s not too late! It seems like it will stick around for fall, and I’m hoping winter too.

Here are a few lace top options that would look great on their own, or fantastic under a red or teal sweater!

And they are all under $45.00.

(from top left: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Comments

I dig the first option best! But you look great in all 3! And can you really go wrong with your favorite jeans? I don’t think so! You look great, and now I’m off to find a lace top!

Love ALL of these looks but i think 2 + 3 are my favorite with 3 being my most favorite. i’m with you – you can’t beat a classic pair of jeans with a lace top that is that fabulous! you look adorable!

Love a lace top, they can be so versatile!!!!!!!

Madewell just opened a store in our area (2 hours away, but it’s worth it) and I was swooning over so many of their pieces! They have some amazing chambray shirts right now : )

4. Aydree says

I LOVE the navy pants!!! :) You have such a classic style that I love! But you add some trendy elements for an overall awesome look!! God bless!!

5. Christie says

That’s a great top! I know I couldn’t wear it because I would be yanking it down. My shirts are longer and it would make me nervous. I know, dumb.

6. Anonymous says

I like outfit #3 the best. Those navy/dark jeans looks great with the lace top. Wish we could also see the shoes… Im lolling for some nude pumps , bought some blush patent at Marshall’s- Jessica Simpson – but the are way to high…

Gorgeous! I love that top and the scalloped edges make it look special and sweet. I’ll be jumping on the lace trend anything feminine I love.

All are very cute! I have that same dress and didn’t even think of pairing it with white on top other than a cardigan, I’ve just worn it with a Navy top so far. Thanks for the inspiration! I saw lace dresses at Target as well but passed on the thought they may be too young looking for me (newly in my 30’s) but I may have to reconsider!

This is gorgeous! Do you mind me asking what size you purchased in – I have a body similar to yours, and would love this top to make a home in my closet as well. :)

10. Jennifer says

Oh My Goodness… I totally wore the exact outfit (with my brands) that you have posted in outfit 2! I wore a lace top from Express, with a cream tank, Purple/Blue skinny’s from Loft, and the same giraffe necklace from J. Crew! Wow! I feel stylin’ now! Too fun! Now, if only my hair was longer and cooperated as well as yours does! =)

I just like that you spell grey with an e and not an a. I am obsessive about grey with an e…

I think the lace is gorgeous. Even if it doesn’t stay “in” you could wear it for years. It is so feminine and flatters you beautifully.

I still haven’t jumped on the top/sweater over a dress yet, but I want to! I love look #3, also. I like that your tank comes down below the bottom of the lace top. When I first saw the picture from your shopping trip I thought how unique the top was to have the lace stop at waist length when the rest of the top was longer. It was only later I discovered it was two tops!

Thanks for your inspiration and courage to put so much of yourself out there for all of us!

Way to rock the cropped lace top girl! Almost picked one up at the rack last night then I told myself “put that down…you’ll never wear it!” So I bought new shoes instead!:)

Happy Friday!

Hi! New to your blog…was searching for things to do with my newly shortened hair and found your tutorials. I have to say you are simply adorable and I love your style!

Jennifer

I am in love with that top! I just saw a woman in church this a.m. with almost the identical top in white. She had paired it with white jeans and a turquoise tank and it looked amazing! I’m going to be on the lookout for lace :)

16. Anonymous says

The tank top with the faint stripes looks so pretty. Wonder if its see through and if a nude color bra is needed.