High Five for Friday

It’s Friday folks!

My sister and I are still in Wisconsin visiting with family and spending plenty of time in the sun.

I’m ready to see my man again, but we have one more day here to do things like this. . .

1. Enjoying this beautiful home on a really disgusting lake. Usually the lake is beautiful, but with the warm winter, early spring and lack of rain, the lake is like pea soup.

So we bought a cheap pool for the backyard and have been swimming in that (I use the word swimming loosely since it’s 10 feet in diameter) real redneck like.

2. The time spent here is very relaxing, with little makeup and lots of ponytails. Also, quick showers because we used so many gallons of water to fill our pool that the “new” well water we then used in the house smells like sulfur. Nothing like an egg shower to make you feel clean.

3. Plenty, PLENTY of great food. Both homemade and eating out. Someday I’ll share my top restaurants in the chicagoland area that everyone must try.

4. Spending time with some family.

5. My sister and I sitting on her bathroom floor polishing our toenails with Cajun Shrimp. Major girl time.

1. Posted July 6, 2012

As one of your Chicago area readers, I’d love to see a post about Chicagoland food! 🙂

2. Anonymous says
    Posted July 6, 2012

Where in WI are you?! I live here-up north-and there are some lakes that are totally garbage because of all the farm run off–gross!!! 🙂

3. Posted July 6, 2012

i live in wi too! You should visit Lake Geneva, the lake here is gorgeous!

4. Posted July 6, 2012

PORTILLOS!!!!!!! yummmm! I live in a Chicago burb, and we love it!

5. Mrs.Ula says
    Posted July 6, 2012

WISCONSIN! I live in Southwest WI. And yes, our lakes are not the best this summer….but we are still boating every weekend! Your visit has probably been very HOT! We are going thru a heat wave! Yikes!

6. Shelbie says
    Posted July 6, 2012

That house is beautiful! It looks so cozy! Also, Cajun Shrimp is one of my all time favorite OPI colors. It’s so perfect for summertime!

7. Laura says
    Posted July 6, 2012

I live in WI!!! I live right outside of Milwaukee. It’s been scorching hot here! And let’s not call this area Chicagoland, there are lots of awesome things here that are uniquely Wisconsin!

8. Posted July 6, 2012

The lake house look beautiful! Enjoy your last day there 🙂

Lindsay @
    LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

9. Lindsay says
    Posted July 6, 2012

Lovin’ your blog! I agree… Lake Geneva is a great small town for a getaway! Good lake, food, and antiques! Thanks for making my mouth water with that Portillos:) Looking forward to your Chicagoland food blog… Girl and the Goat is our favorite there!

10. Anonymous says
    Posted July 6, 2012

Portilos little JOES and Mickey’s in Chicago!

11. Posted July 6, 2012

As ANOTHER of your Chicago readers, I second the Chicagoland food post. I love Portillo’s–I take all my out of town friends there, and act like I’m so above it because I’m a local, but I get so excited going there and always eat way too much. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

12. Jill says
    Posted July 6, 2012

Love this post! Is it just me or does Cajun Shrimp seem like the color has changed to you? (More red these days) Your pea soup and egg shower comparisons gave me the giggles! 🙂

13. Christy says
    Posted July 6, 2012

The house and lake is so beautiful in the picture! You and lauren got some tan from lot of sun! Never heard of PORTILLOS and I looked up and found there is one here in LA. We will check it out!

14. Posted July 6, 2012

Sounds like so much fun! I love Chicago and always have so much fun there. My family takes a trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina every summer and I simply can’t wait for it. We go in August and it can’t get here fast enough! Have a great rest of your trip!

15. Anonymous says

Hi Kate,
    I know this is off topic of your post, but last night as I stood what seemed like an eternity trying to find something to wear to work, I thought I should ask Kate (since she’s always so adorably dressed and dolled up) to take a photo of her closet to let all of her followers see it. I have a closet full of clothes but still can’t seem to find anything to wear each day. I am thinking I have too many clothes, but not sure what to weed out(had a baby almost 10 mths ago so I’m keeping my fingers crossed to get back into some of my pre baby clothes) so there it is, let us see your closet to see if ours has too many inhabitants. PLEASE 🙂

16. Erin says
    Posted July 6, 2012

SO jealous of your Portillos! I am from Chicago but currently live in TN and there isn’t one around. Love their food. We even had it at my high school and college grad parties, who knows maybe grad school next year too! Enjoy the warm weather and relaxation on your vacation!

17. reneeb says
    Posted July 6, 2012

I live in Wisconsin and have always wished you could come here to teach me how to do not just my hair but also my daughters!!!!! 🙂

18. Anonymous says
    Posted July 6, 2012

The pictures of the lake remind me of Lake Geneva where my best freind lives. Is that where you are? I stayed with her for a few days last summr and we ate the the most delicious Cuban place in Milwaukee and I loved Chicago.

19. Marjie Scheib says
    Posted July 6, 2012

I live in Lake Geneva and the lake has not been effected by the drought! Still as clear and beautiful as ever. But I am thinking you are on Delavan Lake??? Was it a good guess? Nice to have you in our area. Sorry for the heat!

20. Posted July 6, 2012

Sounds like a wonderful week! Cajun Shrimp is a color I have been meaning to try! Happy Friday!

21. Elizabeth says
    Posted July 6, 2012

I live in Green Bay 🙂 Good to have you in Wisconsin! Enjoy your vacation and relaxation!

22. Sara says
    Posted July 6, 2012

I’m another of your Wisconsin readers and I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself in our great state. Hopefully you haven’t melted from the heat and humidity we’ve been having as of late!

23. Anonymous says
    Posted July 6, 2012

PORTILLO’S, seriously?! I soooo miss that place!! I knew the stripped packaging immediately!

24. Posted July 6, 2012

I live in Green Bay. Since I found your blog, my hair has been something new everyday! My hubby thanks you. 🙂
    Enjoy your time in Wisconsin.

25. Posted July 6, 2012

So fun! Question… My hair is just a tiny little bit longer then your sisters. And it’s thick… But it’s sooo flat! It has no volume. What can I do about that?

26. Posted July 6, 2012

Love reading your blog. I’m way up in northern Alberta, Canada and enjoy being inspired by your hairstyles and make-up. I also love that you put a no-make-up pic on too. You and your sister shine beauty from the inside out.

27. Anonymous says
    Posted July 6, 2012

I’m headed to Chicago a week from today- would love to hear your food rec’s!

28. Brie says
    Posted July 6, 2012

as a reader from chicago, portillos is amazing!!!

29. Posted July 7, 2012

Aah! You’re in my state! I thought of you as got dressed this week when my husband and I were on a mini-break to Door County… Thank you for all the posts, you’re making the world more beautiful 🙂

30. Posted July 7, 2012

What a fun time! I love OPI’s Cajun Shrimp!

31. Huri says
    Posted July 7, 2012

First you look adorable with no make up and second you say Chicagoland like Sam Champion on Good Morning America.

32. Posted July 7, 2012

I love that you can make the best of any situation AND you look great without makeup. Enjoy the rest of your holiday !!! I am heading to NYC in a week and was re reading your post and making a few notes…..

33. Posted July 7, 2012

Looks amazing. We have constant rain here in the uk and its more like autum than summer.

X x

34. Posted July 7, 2012

Tibetan jewelry articles with the usage of different metals and stones – very expensive and rather cheap.

35. Posted July 7, 2012

Wow! Your Lake house looks amazing! Looks very relaxing too.

E x

36. Posted July 7, 2012

This comment has been removed by the author.

37. Sara says
    Posted July 7, 2012

Welcome to Wisconsin!

Loving the travel posts.

38. Liz says
    Posted July 7, 2012

Oh how I miss living in Chicago and Portillo’s!!

39. Tara says
    Posted July 7, 2012

I just have to tell you I just had an epiphany with my hair. I have been curling my hair wrong for 25yrs! And as a girl who curls her at least 3 days a week…thats crazy to me!! I wish I could post a pic of my success…my hair has never looked this good!
    Thank you for being awesome and have a GREAT vacation.
    Sincerely,
    A newly dedicated follower
    Tara

40. Posted July 7, 2012

Another Wisconsinite here & would love to know what lake you’re on 🙂

41. Jess R says
    Posted July 8, 2012

I’m at the cabin on Balsam Lake! I totally hear the quick showers & no make-up with ponytails! I love how sunglasses can hide a naked face look!
    Anyway, the cabin you’re at is beautiful & I hope you’re enjoying some R & R time with your sis!

42. Nickers says
    Posted July 8, 2012

Any idea where I can find Aquage in Alberta, Canada? Thei website is of no help 🙁

43. Posted July 8, 2012

Cajun Shrimp is THE best color; my favorite color from OPI 🙂

Kari

44. Jen says
    Posted July 8, 2012

It is weird that the lake is like that, I live up north by lake superior and we have a cabin in the Barnes,wi area and it is beautiful this year.

45. Jenni says
    Posted July 8, 2012

It has been so hot here, we went to the pool several times but it was so hot the kids didn’t even want to swim. The heat broke last night finally. The Portillo’s looks amazing, now I’m hungry!

46. dorothy says
    Posted July 9, 2012

Ok cheeseheads. You need to hurry back so we can have taco grape night at my place! i’m ready for you. also, i still need to see the new pads.

47. HLane says
    Posted July 9, 2012

Portillo’s is the best! I can never find a Chicago dog quite like that. I miss it! 😉

48. Anonymous says
    Posted July 9, 2012

Kate, where in Wisconsin is your family’s lake place? My parents live on a lake that looks eerily similar to the pictures you posted, including the pea-soup-like lake…..

-Lindsey (a loyal follower of The Small Things)

49. Amy M says
    Posted July 9, 2012

Oh yay, Portillo’s!! I just had them for lunch the other day!! I love thier Beef & Cheddar Crossiant. Yum!!

50. Posted July 10, 2012

Hurry up with those Chicago recs…I’ll be there in September!!

51. Jackie says
    Posted July 11, 2012

Hi Kate, Love your blog! I am from southeast WI. Glad to see you could join us for this crazy hot weather 🙂

52. Chrissy says
    Posted July 12, 2012

Hmmm Portillo’s! The chocolate cake is to die for!!!

53. Posted July 13, 2012

Kate, Can I just say that you are absolutely beautiful w/o the fancy hair or make up! Honestly! Thought you should know. Blessings!

54. Posted July 16, 2012

That lake looks familiar. Is it Green Lake?
    I definitely add a thumbs up to the Portillo’s…delish!

55. Posted July 16, 2012

That lake looks familiar. Is it Green Lake?
    I definitely add a thumbs up to the Portillo’s…delish!

56. Anonymous says
    Posted July 28, 2012

I love portillos!

57. Posted January 2, 2013

Is it Green Lake? I love my fashion design bags

58. Posted January 2, 2013

When we talked about the romance,we will think of wedding. My wedding dress is the best wedding dresses