Half up with a Secret Braid

This hairstyle is so quick and simple. I like that the braid acts like a barrette.
Oftentimes, when I’m doing bridal updo’s, the bridesmaids ask for braids. While they are super trendy right now, I feel like they are sometimes a little bit too casual for the wedding party. Of course, there are plenty of times that a braid is beautifully incorporated into the hair on the side or in the back, but I’ve found it to be too severe when there is a braid right at the front of the hair for a formal occasion.

But if you are dead set on having braids, this is a great way to wear one. . .

Comments

my hair happens to be just the right length for most of the hairdos you post! LOVE! and I always share with my sister-in-law and my neices! thanks for this!

2. Sarah R says

Great style and tutorial! Are those the Kate Spade “huggie” earrings? I want them so badly and seeing them actually on someone makes me want them more!

3. Anonymous says

LOVE this!! I have a chin length angled bob and don’t know how much hair to pull back in a half up-do. Do I pull back only a little hair so I still have hair around my face-in front of my ears or pull it all back behind my ears like you did in this style? Many thanks!!!

I love this hair style! It is so cute and easy! I’ve tried out two of your hair styles so far and have been pretty successful with them! I think I’m gonna try this one for work today! :)

Really pretty! Half up is my favorite way to wear my long, straight hair – so it is always nice to see variations on that style!

I love this look. I am so looking forward to trying this out. easy to follow and so pretty! I’ve been following your blog/website for a while now and I love it…just now realized you have a youtube channel as well so I’ve subscribed there..super cool. loved the 30 in 30 so inspiring to go into my closet and find cool outfits. thanks! xo. gigi. food and and beauty blogger @ http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

I adore this style! I have pretty long hair so a lot of these tutorials don’t seem to work as well for me but this is totally doable, I’ll have to give this a shot for a family dinner tomorrow.

I love it, so cute! I love your haircut as well. I just recently stumbled over your blog and I have been checking it daily. I have a hair appointment tomorrow, I would love the stylist to give me a cut like this. :)

9. Anonymous says

Hi Kate, I love this hair style, very cute! Can you post a tutorial for the way your hair was styled prior to putting it half up? I love the volume and the way your hair is slightly curled at the bottom. I have trouble with getting volume in my hair. Thanks! -Stephanie, Canada

• Meaghan says

Kate uses a root lifter called Aquage that I’m still trying to find in Canada. I’m in Ontario. I emailed the company today to see if they ship to Canada. But ya, Aquage Uplifting Foam, blow dry upside down and tease :) she has a tutorial on here explaining it all somewhere

This is a good one for short cuts too! Kate, if you ever cut your hair short like mine with a stack in the back and longer in the front would love to see what my options are!!!
    Laine

I love following your blog. You make all your tutorials very clear and easy to follow. My husband would like to thank you for getting me out of my mommy ponytail rut. I also like your cut. Can you tell me how to explain it my stylist? (I am sure you get asked this all the time). Thanks for all your inspiration.

Kate…love the updo! I have a question about the Mark eyeliner that you listed as using at one time…maybe still do. Love the Steely Gray, but was amazed that I couldn’t get the tip to advance by clicking the bottom. They said you just sharpen it, including the hard plastic….??? Do you sharpen yours that way? Seems really odd to sharpen hard plastic, but I’ll give it a whirl, just wondered if that’s how you sharpen your tips.
    Thanks!