Half up with a Secret Braid

This hairstyle is so quick and simple. I like that the braid acts like a barrette.
Oftentimes, when I’m doing bridal updo’s, the bridesmaids ask for braids. While they are super trendy right now, I feel like they are sometimes a little bit too casual for the wedding party. Of course, there are plenty of times that a braid is beautifully incorporated into the hair on the side or in the back, but I’ve found it to be too severe when there is a braid right at the front of the hair for a formal occasion.

But if you are dead set on having braids, this is a great way to wear one. . .

1. Anonymous says
    Posted July 10, 2012

This is super cute!! I’ll definitely have to give this a try! Love your blog!!!

2. Kellie says
    Posted July 10, 2012

my hair happens to be just the right length for most of the hairdos you post! LOVE! and I always share with my sister-in-law and my neices! thanks for this!

3. Posted July 10, 2012

I love the hidden braid! It is the cutest little detail and makes the style more interesting 🙂

Maria
    Dainty and Decadent

4. Sarah R says
    Posted July 10, 2012

Great style and tutorial! Are those the Kate Spade “huggie” earrings? I want them so badly and seeing them actually on someone makes me want them more!

5. Lauren says
    Posted July 10, 2012

Love this hairstyle! It’s so pretty. I think the hidden braid really adds a lot to it! 🙂

6. Alissa says
    Posted July 10, 2012

This is great! Do you think that it would work for curly hair or the braid would disappear into the mess of curls?

7. Posted July 10, 2012

Just an FYI, in Irish culture, a braid is traditional in a bridal hair style. It represents feminine power and luck. 😉

8. Mim says

This is really cute!

9. Mim says
    Posted July 10, 2012

This comment has been removed by the author.

10. Lauren says
    Posted July 10, 2012

SO super darling…and I have that shirt from Old Navy. What a great $10 steal for this summer 🙂

11. Anonymous says
    Posted July 10, 2012

LOVE this!! I have a chin length angled bob and don’t know how much hair to pull back in a half up-do. Do I pull back only a little hair so I still have hair around my face-in front of my ears or pull it all back behind my ears like you did in this style? Many thanks!!!

12. Posted July 10, 2012

I love this hair style! It is so cute and easy! I’ve tried out two of your hair styles so far and have been pretty successful with them! I think I’m gonna try this one for work today! 🙂

13. Posted July 10, 2012

What kind of bobby pins do you use??

14. Jaime says
    Posted July 10, 2012

Really pretty! Half up is my favorite way to wear my long, straight hair – so it is always nice to see variations on that style!

15. ....... says
    Posted July 10, 2012

I love this look. I am so looking forward to trying this out. easy to follow and so pretty! I’ve been following your blog/website for a while now and I love it…just now realized you have a youtube channel as well so I’ve subscribed there..super cool. loved the 30 in 30 so inspiring to go into my closet and find cool outfits. thanks! xo. gigi. food and and beauty blogger @ http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

16. Posted July 10, 2012

Oh, I love this!! I think I’ll do this for my hair in my sister’s wedding this weekend! It’s adorable!

17. Posted July 10, 2012

I adore this style! I have pretty long hair so a lot of these tutorials don’t seem to work as well for me but this is totally doable, I’ll have to give this a shot for a family dinner tomorrow.

18. Anonymous says
    Posted July 10, 2012

Such a cute hairstyle!! i really love half up hairstyles. 🙂

19. Liza says
    Posted July 10, 2012

Cute!! How do you get your hair to grow so fast?

20. Posted July 10, 2012

This is such a great style! Thanks so much for sharing. 🙂

21. Posted July 11, 2012

I love it, so cute! I love your haircut as well. I just recently stumbled over your blog and I have been checking it daily. I have a hair appointment tomorrow, I would love the stylist to give me a cut like this. 🙂

22. Posted July 11, 2012

Looks great!! I am getting a hair cut on Thursday, how do I describe this cut? Layers?

23. Candice says
    Posted July 11, 2012

love those earnings! Thanks for sharing! Always look forward to your hair tutorials!

Candice @
    andeverythinglovely.blogspot.com

24. Betsy says
    Posted July 11, 2012

This might just be my favorite tutorial! So darling and very cute for work or fancier occasions.

25. Posted July 11, 2012

Love this look!

26. Posted July 11, 2012

So lovely, subtle but creative!

27. Jill says
    Posted July 11, 2012

Love this! It is so nice and just something different!

28. Anonymous says
    Posted July 11, 2012

Hi Kate, I love this hair style, very cute! Can you post a tutorial for the way your hair was styled prior to putting it half up? I love the volume and the way your hair is slightly curled at the bottom. I have trouble with getting volume in my hair. Thanks! -Stephanie, Canada

• Meaghan says
      Posted July 17, 2012

Kate uses a root lifter called Aquage that I’m still trying to find in Canada. I’m in Ontario. I emailed the company today to see if they ship to Canada. But ya, Aquage Uplifting Foam, blow dry upside down and tease 🙂 she has a tutorial on here explaining it all somewhere

29. Laine says
    Posted July 11, 2012

This is a good one for short cuts too! Kate, if you ever cut your hair short like mine with a stack in the back and longer in the front would love to see what my options are!!!
    Laine

30. Posted July 11, 2012

I love following your blog. You make all your tutorials very clear and easy to follow. My husband would like to thank you for getting me out of my mommy ponytail rut. I also like your cut. Can you tell me how to explain it my stylist? (I am sure you get asked this all the time). Thanks for all your inspiration.

31. Judy says
    Posted July 11, 2012

Kate…love the updo! I have a question about the Mark eyeliner that you listed as using at one time…maybe still do. Love the Steely Gray, but was amazed that I couldn’t get the tip to advance by clicking the bottom. They said you just sharpen it, including the hard plastic….??? Do you sharpen yours that way? Seems really odd to sharpen hard plastic, but I’ll give it a whirl, just wondered if that’s how you sharpen your tips.
    Thanks!

32. Posted April 29, 2013

I love this! My husband is coming home from deployment soon and I’m going to do this hair style for the homecoming! Thank you for posting it!

33. Krista Sellers says
    Posted February 16, 2015

I have really long hair and would like to cut mine like yours, but I have really straight silky hair. Could you send me a picture of your hair straightened so I can see what mine would look like without styling? Or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 🙂

34. Nicole says
    Posted February 1, 2017

Love it! It Will Do Great For My Daughter At School!