In Sickness and in Health

image found here

I came home on Wednesday to a sick, sick husband. I texted him when I Ieft the salon asking what he was doing, and he wrote back, “Trying not to die. . .sick!”. I assumed it was just a cold or a cough. We were both sick with colds a few weeks ago.

But oh was I wrong. I walked in the house, approached the couch and as soon as I made the turn toward him and saw his face, I gasped.

He was yellow. With dark, dark under eye bags. He looked awful. Apparently he had been sick since about 4:00pm with food poisoning.

Have you had food poisoning? I haven’t. Although now I feel like I have since I watched him go through it. And it wasn’t just what you would naturally think occurs with food poisoning. He was experiencing blinding stomach pain, causing him to curl up into a ball on the floor. And he also wasn’t thinking clearly. At one point, he was in bed and I was downstairs talking to my sister. I heard rustling upstairs, and went to the bottom of the stairs and looked up. There he was, sitting on the top step, holding his head in his hands.

I walked up to him.

“Why are you on the stairs?” I asked.

And he looked up, eyes tired and glazed over, and said, “I don’t know. I just thought it would be more comfortable.” And then he slowly trudged back to the bed, falling into it since he had used up all his energy.

After witnessing 4 more hours of this brutality, I began to search for home remedies.

So, home remedies. Presumably things that one has in the home.

The first article I found suggested smoking some marijuana to help get over the food poisoning. Now, I don’t know about you, but that’s not something we keep in our pantry. Crazy right? ::please sense sarcasm through computer screen::

So I clicked on a new link and found a forum of suggestions. On a few different occasions, I read recommendations for drinking lemon juice. The acidity from the lemons would kill the bacteria and therefore help stop the madness. And thankfully,due to the new juicing trend at the homestead, we had lemons!

So I squeezed the juice of three lemons into a glass. I brought it up to Justin to drink, which he did in a few swigs since it was seriously tart, and then he settled in to the bed. Meanwhile, I had been praying that this works for him and he can be relieved of this misery.

Well, sure enough. He never had a sick episode again. It was either the lemon juice or the fact that it had passed, but either way–he was much much better.

And has been since then.

Thanks lemons!

Comments

Wow, I wish I had known about this about a month ago! I was sick with food poisoning and ended up at the doctor’s office. But now I know for…next time? I hope there is no next time! Oh, boy. Glad he’s feeling better, and thanks for sharing!

I ended up in the ER because of food poisoning once! I had lost so much fluid that I was passing out. It IS that disorienting and so excruciatingly painful…my husband took care of me during that and to this day, it’s one of the reason’s I know he loves me. He has seen me at my worst!

Glad he is much better! My husband had the stomach bug last week. Woke up in the middle of the night sick. I left in the morning to run errands (and because I have a horrible phobia of vomit!) and to get my son out of the house to have quiet for him, to return with him having 105 fever! He looked terrible! I’m glad to hear about the lemons! I will have to keep that in mind for the next time if anyone gets sick!

Ugh, how awful, poor guy!

Dang, if I’d have known you were all out of marijuana I’d have been RIGHT over to let you borrow some – I keep mine in a Martha Stewart glass canister with a DIY’d chalkboard label (found on Pinterest, of course!) in my pantry right between the coffee and the sugar!

Okay, maybe not but that is hilarious that that was the 1st thing you found. Yes, crazy! So glad the (legal) lemon juice worked for him & that he’s feeling better!

Well I tend to find myself in more frequent episodes like that than most people around me (I have always had a sensitive stomach), so next time I will try it!

6. Anonymous says

I’VE HAD IT TWICE. THE LAST WAS WHEN I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY THIRD BABY. IT WAS SO BAD I PASSED OUT AND FELL OFF THE POTTY AND HIT MY HEAD ON THE WALL! I ALSO STARTED TALKING CRAZY TO MY HUSBAND! I’M GLAD HE IS BETTER!

7. Jeannie says

When I first started eating sushi, the person I was with taught me to eat lemon slices afterwards for this very reason. Glad he is feeling better.

Oh my! I’m so glad that remedy worked and he’s feeling better. Such an awful thing to go through. I personally have never gone through it thankfully, but my husband has from seafood and he was in agony. I wished there was something I could do to help, but we thought it just had to pass. I will definitely keep the lemon juice in mind in the event that it strikes our house again. Good to know!

9. Anonymous says

I actually had food poisoning once and it landed me in the hospital, ambulance ride and all! I was severly dehydrated from throwing up so much. I’m a small person (5’2″ and 125 lbs) and they gave me 6.5 bags of IV fluid in a day and a half… That is A LOT. It is definitely not fun to go through. That was 5 years ago and to this day I still cannot eat at Texas Roadhouse (where the undercooked chicken was consumed and caused my misery!) I hope your hubby gets better!
    Rachel
    reshoemaker87@yahoo.com

Oh my gosh this sounds awful! I play it a little fast and loose with expiration dates, but this may just sway me to the straight and narrow. Hope he’s feeling better!

This is good to remember! Thanks for sharing! I had my first bout of food poisoning over Christmas and it was AWFUL. I found flat coke to settle a stomach as well.

Good to know about the lemons! I am a total FREAK about stomach bugs/food poisoning. Seems when I get it, it lays me flat too! I’m so glad he’s feeling better….and that it wasn’t somethign you could catch! Here’s to a healthy weekend!!!!

Just a thought, if he truly was “yellow” (jaundice) that could indicate something with the liver. You might have him check with his doctor about the possibility of Hepatitis. Like I said, it’s just a thought, my husband contracted Hepatitis years ago. We never did figure out how or exactly when but he’s had problems ever since.

• Anonymous says

I don’t know which hepatitis your husband has/had, but hepatitis A (which can cause jaundice) is a food borne pathogen you can acquire through contaminated food or water.

Ugh!!! I’ve given birth twice but food poisoning was MUCH worse! My dad and I both ate some spoiled honeydew melon off a salad bar…we were the sickest of sick for days!! Great idea to look up home remedy…and lemons…whodathunkit?

Ugh, I feel for you, and him! My husband had food poisoning 3 days before our wedding and ended up in the ER needing fluids. I’m glad to hear about a potential home remedy though. is stomach seems particularly sensitive so I should probably keep lemons on hand :)

Ugh! That’s the worst! I food poisoned my husband and myself 2 months into our marriage; I undercooked some ground beef. A small, one bathroom apartment with 2 food poisoned people is the true test of love! ;-) Too bad you were out of marijuana, but thankfully those lemons were there. Never would have thought lemons would work, I’ll be keeping that little nugget of info tucked away!

That’s probably the worst case of food poisoning I’ve heard of. I’ve never had it, but thanks for sharing the lemon juice theory. I’ll have to keep it in mind if we are ever plagued with such horror!

18. Anonymous says

may have been “norovirus.” we live in the dc area and the “winter vomiting illness” as it has been called is sweeping through our community. norovirus is extremely contagious. we had similar symptoms last year and found when we were finally able to keep something down, chicken broth (made from a cup of water and a bouillon cube) really helped. yogurt will also help the good stomach bacteria stabilize. hope your husband feels better by now and you remain healthy!

I had food poisoning recently. Wish I would have thought to search home remedies or known about the lemon juice. I’ve never been more miserable but it passed within 24 hrs. I’ll def remember this!

I have had food posioning while in Mexico on a Mission trip out in the middle of no where. It was the most awful experience ever. I was delirious and couldn’t control my bodily functions. Being 100′s of miles away from a doctor wasn’t fun either. Every kept saying they could tell I was sick because of my eyes. I normally have blue eyes and they said they were grey..eek! A doctor met us at the place we were staying and gave me one shot then had they had to go get another one from a pharmacy. I would have been sent to a Mexican hopsital if they didn’t work. :/ Thankfully they worked but it was not fun at all. So I completely understand what you hubby went through, but I wish I could have been home instead of the middle of no where Mexico. :)

21. Lisa says

I’ve had food poisoning 3x and each time it was from eating chicken prepared by someone else. It’s a horrible, horrible thing to go through, so I feel his pain! I don’t know what death feels like, but I’m pretty sure this might come close. I pray I never have to go through it again, but if I do….lemons to the rescue! Thanks for sharing :)

I have been drinking the juice of one lemon and water over ice every morning for about a month. (With a straw, please, so the acid doesn’t kill your teeth.) I truly think it is helping me stay healthy, and it eases the tummy ache I get when my self-discipline fails and I drink a diet soda. Sometimes I even drink another glass in the afternoon, after work, this time with a little stevia to sweeten it.

23. Chrissy says

Phew – glad he’s doing better! And thank you for sharing your success story; I’ll file it away in memory for the future if ever needed!

thanks for the remedy tip! I just found your blog a couple of days ago and I have spent the last TWO days catching up on all your posts! I just love them! thanks for sharing :)

25. Wendy L says

I could totally be Norovirus. We’re having a severe outbreak in Wilmington right now and it’s often mistaken for food poisoning. It just went through our family and we accidently gave it to a bunch of people because we thought we weren’t contagious after 24 hours. You can still carry it around for 3 days after you start feeling better. If you end up getting sick you can probably bet that’s what it is, especially if others in your community/church are coming down with it. Glad you hubs is feeling better and praying it really was just something he ate!

• Anonymous says

You can contract norovirus from contaminated food or water as well as from touching surfaces that infected persons have touched. It’s the number one cause of food borne illness, and it can live on dry surfaces for weeks or even months!

Sounds miserable! I had food poisoning once. I was pregnant with my first at the time (about 8-1/2 months along). Now, I had pretty bad morning sickness…hyperemesis, actually…but it was nothing in comparison to the constant vomiting I did with my nearly 9 month pregnant belly. I threw up in the parking ramp on the way out to my car, in my car while driving home (I was going through a tunnel at the time, and there was nowhere to pull over), and barely made it up to my apartment bathroom before it started again. Finally, getting into the tub settled my stomach down, and the contractions stopped. It took YEARS before I could even look at Indian food again…. Sure glad the lemon helped!

I’ve never been that sick either (thank God!) I will keep this remedy in my internal filing cabinet. In the meantime, I’m sharing your story on my facebook page!

You’re a good wife! :o) Hope he continues to improve!!

Sounds like a gallstone attack. I recently had mine removed (after 3 pregnancies, mine was done for!!) and this is exactly what happened to me. I had 3 separate episodes before they figured it out. If it happens again, which we’ll pray it doesn’t, keep that in mind.

yuck! I had it once, and I always refer to it as “the worst day of my life”
    I literally just wanted to die, the pain was unbearable and unending. Thank goodness it doesn’t last too long!

I had a stomach flu like that a few weeks ago. The stomach pains were unbearable. I was really close to going to see a doctor when they seemed to subside. Next time I will remember the lemon! I’m glad your husband is feeling better. It is no fun to watch the person you love be in so much pain!

31. Kendall says

I had food poisoning last December and it was the worst thing I have ever experienced health-wise. Besides the vomiting (and other things not to be named), I was so dehydrated that my legs cramped up and the only way for me to fall asleep was over the side of my couch in my living room. I hope your hubby gets to feeling better. Mine only lasted 24 hours and I started back to eating the BRAT diet and drinking Pedialyte to get nutrients back in me.

• Justin says

Kendall, I am feeling better, thanks! I started back eating by ordering a large Dominos pizza… #healthnut

thank you for your blog. I love evrything about it. I know that one bad or negative blog comment sometimes blinds us to 1000 positive comments. But I hope that you aren’t letting the anonymous one above get to you. I’ve never commented here before but I felt the need to tell you that I appreciate you. I’m OLD (38) and not half as classy as you :),( my husband is a youth pastor so sometimes hanging out with young kids makes me feel young)…but whether I”m in my 20′s or soon to be 40′s your styling advice is great for my crazy hair. i pick up helpful tips from you and love how you live your life. Keep it up!!

33. Christen says

Food poisoning is a special kind of awful and will absolutely mess with your entire system, so your husband is very lucky you were there to a.) keep him safe and healthy and b.) whip up a home remedy! I may try this the next time the stomach flu hits our family, since the effects are pretty similar.

And ignore the super-brave Anonymous above. I just found your blog a few weeks ago and I dig it. Keep on keepin’ on!

I had food poisoning the week after Thanksgiving (damn you leftover turkey!) and I had horrible stomach pain for about 5 hours before I threw up several times. Although your husband seems to have had a really bad case, I’m glad he’s feeling better! Just make sure he stays hydrated! :)

Good to know about the lemon! In case there’s another time when you or someone you know gets a stomach bug and you find yourself without lemons, a capful of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water will also do the trick!
    I’ve been following your blog for several months and I just love it! I look forward to reading your posts every day!

I read this post just the other day and now I’m laying in bed with the stomach bug that’s been going around. I’ve just sent my husband to get a bag of lemons. If this works, I’m coming to Raleigh to hug your neck!

Oh no! Glad he is feeling better now.
    I was really sick just after Christmas, and my clever husband whipped me up some Coke (coca cola) with salt in. It makes it completely flat, but i was able to sip it slowly throughout the night without vomiting again. Good ol’ home remedies! If i’m ever out of Coke though, I will keep the lemon tip in mind, thanks! :)

38. Laura C. says

Worst food poisoning I ever had was from chicken..I literally was on the bathroom floor for 2 days. I finally went to the urgent care and I had a shot of antibiotics and then a full round in pill form. NOT.FUN! Good thing he is ok!

Great tip, I love lemons in my water so I usually have them on hand. I am severely sensitive to MSG. I simply can’t tolerate that in my foods and when I injest it from foods that might have it I get so sick. I feel like I’m dying too and can barely walk up a flight of stairs. I’m careful with what I eat so I rarely get these episodes anymore but I will remember your tip for the next time. Thanks Kate!!

It doesn’t sound like food poisoning. Sounds more like gallstones. When they become blocked in the tract, you can turn yellow from the back up of the bile. Pure lemon juice helps break up the stones. If this happens again, you should take him to the ER. Gallstones are something to not play around with… I should know, I had them and had my gallbladder removed.

• Kylie says

I agree…..I had my gallbladder removed several years ago and had these same symtoms. If he gets sick like this again soon, I would take him to the ER.

• says

When I read he was yellow…I thought the same thing. Maybe not the case, but something to be mindful of if it happens again. I’ve had gallstones, and my daughter who just had a baby 5 weeks ago is awaiting surgery for hers. Glad he’s doing better!

Oh my stars, Kate! You are bad for making me laugh amidst such an unfortunate story! The marijuana and stairs parts ’bout made me spit my coffee. But I’m so glad that he’s better, what a pain to go through. What luck I had to send you home with food on the day Justin had food poisoning :/ Hopefully he was able to enjoy it another time!

Wow, sorry to hear about that! My boyfriend had food poisoning last week and I wish I had read this post sooner! I’ll have to try lemons next time.

Oh wow! Glad your hubby is better. I’m going to call my coworker and tell her about this remedy. She just left for lunch to check on her husband who is sick at home with food poisoning!

That’s funny about marijuana lol Lemon juice is very good for the digestive system and fighting and preventing sickness. Lemons are seriously strong, good things. I drink water with lemon everyday. I don’t get colds much at all, since I started to do drink it religiously. It’s also supposed to help with weight loss.

45. Jessica says

Why didn’t I find this post like 3 weeks ago when I had food poisoning?! Note to self: next time, drink lemon juice!!!

Oh Kate – I can feel his pain. Just how you described his feelings is exactly how it feels to have food poisioning. I had it in November from eating bad Taco Bell (which I later learned.. just recently in fact, that they had a salmonella outbreak on the east coast). Anyhow, it definitely felt like I was dying a slow, painful death. I could even sip water without…. it coming back out of my mouth! It was awful. I’m glad he’s recovered (I hope – I’m behind in reading right now – obviously). I ended up becoming dehydrated and had to go on the BRAT… I feel his pain!

i had a weird stomachache that started on Wed and would not go away. For two days, I tried Pepto, tums, etc. Nothing worked. Then, I remembered this story and drank the juice of two lemons. I felt back to my self by the end of the day. Thanks!!

I’m so glad that remedy worked and he’s feeling better. Such an awful thing to go through. I personally have never gone through it thankfully, but my husband has from seafood and he was in agony. I wished there was something I could do to help, but we thought it just had to pass. Buspar I will definitely keep the lemon juice in mind in the event that it strikes our house again. Good to know!