Under Eye Routine

My under eyes are dark. And no matter how much eye cream I would saturate them with the night before, they would always look dry after I applied makeup.
I have had the hardest time finding an under eye concealer that I love too. Mostly because it turns to a “cakey” mess no matter what consistency, application method, or “priming” products that I use. And there is little worse than dry, cakey under eye makeup, am I right?

The reason why the under eye area can be such a problem is because there aren’t many/any oil glands in that area. So there isn’t really a natural production of moisture to keep that delicate skin in good condition. It’s also one of the most fragile parts of your skin, and should be treated that way so you don’t get extra wrinkles!

However, my world has been changed. I found a product that revolutionized the way my under eye concealer goes ON and stays put. I know it sounds like I’m being dramatic here, but I’m serious–I checked the mirror about 50 times that day (which is easy because I stand behind a mirror all day) to make sure it didn’t turn on me. And there it was, perfectly placed and non-cakey under eye concealer.

The product is by Sephora and it’s called Immediate Wrinkle Filler. It’s difficult to explain, but it’s a white, spongey product in a small tub (pictured above in grey) and you either place your finger or a brush in the pod to get a tiny bit of product, and gently rub it into your under eye area. It’s silky smooth, and thick enough to really fill in some wrinkles! It will also fill in some small creases that you may have from smiling and prevent the makeup from settling into those as well. And finally, it keeps your under eye concealer “moisturized” without shine, and it won’t budge.

I love it.

And the Mark. product is an eye cream that I’ve been using before I apply the Immediate Wrinkle Filler. It’s not as much as a necessity for daily makeup application as the latter, but it’s a great non-greasy eye cream. If you are interested in Mark. products, click here.

The concealer I use on a daily basis is Mac Pro Longwear concealer in NW 15. I really like it! Especially now that it goes on beautifully and looks great all day!

If you are interested in my full makeup routine, click here

Comments

Oh WOW! I have exact same problems. I am constantly obsessing over my under eye area and struggle each day with cakey make up. Thanks for the tricks. Ordering both of these NOW!

2. Laura says

I have the SAME problem!!! The only concealer I’ve found that brightens my under eyes without being cakey is Mary Kay’s Facial Highlighting pen (I wear shade 2) and it’s absolutely UH-MAZING!!!

Thanks for the recommendations! I have the same problem..do you thing it’s hereditary? My mom has the same problem too! However, I am convinced since our generation knows how to take care of our skin better it won’t get quite as bad :)

4. Anonymous says

Cle de Peau is the holy grail of concealers. It is very pricey, but lasts a long time and has the best most blendable consistency.

My dermatologist told me that many (not all) of the dark under-eye circles are caused by bruising – that area of skin IS REALLY delicate (don’t ever rub, just pat, gently!!!) Anyway, she told me to use Vitamin K cream. I tried it, and O. M. G. – it works! Over about a one month period it “healed” and now I don’t need as much concealer. I still need a little but, WOW what a difference the Vit K made. The brand I use is from GNC, it’s called Reviva Vitamin K Cream, and costs just over $20. My mom tried a different brand and it didn’t work as well, so I’ve stuck with this one. Good luck!

6. Anonymous says

I have horrible under eye circles too, I feel your pain. This product is on my shopping list… can we see a before and after??

7. Anonymous says

You mention your sad eye lashes a lot. You should try Rapid Lash. My eye doctor says it is no different than Latisse. You buy it at Bed, Bath and Beyond and with your 20% coupon it is around $30. Works amazingly!!

8. Anonymous says

The best eye cream I have found is Dior. It is so luxurious and has a slight cooling effect…almost lets you know it’s “working”! My sister’s friend works for Dior in Paris so she gets all sorts of products from there and I get some stuff too…and this eye cream is wonderful! You should give it a try…this stuff is magical!

9. Anonymous says

I suppose I should verify…It’s Dior CAPTURE R 60/80 Ultimate Wrinkle Correction Cream…if you say it with a french accent it sounds even better! I think you can get it at any department store that sells Dior products. Mine came from Paris…I had to do some translating to get the name of the stuff! LOL!

I will have to try that stuff! I use Clinique’s All About Eyes as my eye moisturizer and love, love LOVE Benefit’s Lemon-Aid under eye concealer. I think it may actually be a lid primer but I use it for both and it is wonderful! It is yellow and works so well so brighten up the eye area. It’s creamy and thick without being cakey and stays on all day. I tried the MAC under eye concealer and it just wasn’t enough for my dark circles. Love your blog – Jenny

Kate, where have you been all my life??? You have been saving me so much time and research! THANK YOU for these awesome posts, and valuable information! Will be picking up this eye cream ASAP! :)
    Rebecca~

12. Anonymous says

I would like to introduce to you products by Rodan + Feilds. The makers of Proactiv have created a new anti-age skincare line. What they did for acne, they are now doing for aging skin. REVERSE sun damage, SOOTHE sensitive skin,
    Clear skin with UNBLEMISH. Have fewer wrinkles & firmer skin with ANTI-AGE. My name is Janelle Bates and I am from Amarillo, TX. This is my new home business and would love to talk to any of you about becoming a partner or even a preferred customer! Check out my site http://www.janellebates.myrandf.com

13. Anonymous says

Hi Kate,

I freelance as a MAC artist and I was just going to tell you about the Pro Longwear concealer. I love the Pro Longwear line. Origins has some really great eye products too for daily/repair/lightening all kinds of stuff. I love Origins for skin care.

-Dana

i have the ever present purpleish dark circles that i have had all my life. of course with age, they are getting worse. i will have to try that cream and the concealer. i do like bobbi brown’s two step system the best of all i have tried. i have read about cle de peau before. have tried eve pearl, but wasn’t impressed. it was very thick.

Hi Kate! I just discovered your blog and adore it! How inspiring and helpful! And this post is perfect! I’ve been looking for a decent eye cream that is both gentle and effective. I might have to try the Sephora one you listed. Thanks for the great post!

16. twinsmom says

Kate, I found you through pinterest. Thanks for the great reccomendations for hair and make up! I have told all my friends about your blog because it is so informative.

@kate- I have not tried it but I have heard mixed reviews. One of the InStyle magazine editors raved about it about a few months ago. I am hestitate about spending $40 on a concealer I cannot try before buying. By the way, I LOVE your blog!

Thank you for another great post! I just started noticing wrinkles under my eyes in pictures, even though I’ve used an eye moisturizer for years…I bet Sephora is wondering why their wrinkle filler is flying off the shelves today! Planning to try out my new purchase tomorrow.

Question–do you apply the wrinkle filler then give it some time before applying your concealer? Or is it okay to apply concealer immediately? Just worried about wiping it right off :)

• says

Have you tried laura mercier concealer! super creamy and not cakey at all but doesn’t leave your under eye area shiny. I work a lot of night shifts and this is the best concealer I’ve ever used. I have pretty bad dark circles as well. Worth a shot.

I used to have a lot of wrinkles too, on my forehead mostly. It has actually been the cause of problems during work hours because I’m on the sales team of a company for makeup kits. But when I read about your blog, I quickly looked for this product, and I am using this until now. Thanks to you, I’m wrinkle-free!

Thank you so much for sharing!! I have dark circles, but it’s genetic, so finding a way to cover them up is a challenge. If only it was as simple as getting more sleep, right? I’m purchasing these products today :)

22. Michea says

I ordered this, and I LOVE it! It absolutely does exactly what you said, and I’ll never use anything else! It’s only $20, and I’ve had it for about a month, and I’ve barely made a dent in it after using it at least 5 times a week. Great stuff!

Kate- you should try the ole henricksen products. I use the truth serum collagen booster on my whole face in the morning, and a little extra under my eyes and i have noticed such a difference, no bags, no dark circles, just perfect skin. They sell it at sephora and will give you samples of any products from his line.

24. Kate says

I went to Sephora to get this wrinkler filler today and guess what – they discontinued… shoot!

• Anonymous says

Kate – I tried getting the Mark. under eye cream on Avon’s website and that is discontinued also… Please let us know what your new under eye routine is when you have found it! Thank you!

25. Anonymous says

I also went to purchase the wrinkle filler and was super bummed to see that it was gone. Any other suggestions?

26. Anonymous says

Hi,

I’m brand new to your blog and was thrilled to find your solution to the under eye circle dilemma. I jumped right over to the Sephora site, and was very disappointed to find that they no longer carry your magic potion. I see I’m the second fountain of youth seeker to have been disappointed. While your searching for the latest and greatest best thing for under eyes, could you help us hydrate while erasing the dark circles…that would be outstanding. Thanks.

I have very fair skin with early eye wrinkles (I’m 33 with otherwise normal skin but probably more eye wrinkles than expected for my age). I have always looked for value in eye creams, and have tried everything from Chanel to drugstore brands. My main concern now is to use only natural ingredients! I now use the Lady Soma Renewal Serum – it is one of the best serums for the eye. I use it under concealer, which I apply immediately after. I find that the texture of serum helps to blend in the concealer so that everything doesn’t gather around the wrinkles.

I do not find it too greasy for me- it seems to absorb quickly into my skin. I use it at night as well, using slightly more product for night use. I am very happy with Lady Soma for daytime use.

If you all are looking for a great replacement for the Sephora Wrinkle Filler, try Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch. It is fantastic. Hope this helps!

29. Anonymous says

I have extremely BAD dark circles, they are a dark dark brown, almost black. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for what eye cream I could use and of a really good concealer

• says

I have horrible under eye circles too and I have been really happy with DermaBlend, which I first got introduced to for covering some bad burn scars. Its a little pricey but a little goes a long way and I have yet to find anything else that covers better.

30. Anonymous says

I went into Sephora this weekend, and they had no idea about this under-eye product. Do you know if this was discontinued? And if so, what do you use now?

From years of makeup, I did find that it led to more wrinkles. BUT, if you wear a serum under the makeup, it totally helps and it even makes the makeup set and look better. I have been very satisfied with the Lady Soma Renewal Serum to control the wrinkles under my makeup.

My skin really does glow when I use the Lady Soma Serum, so I never let myself run out! The serum made the crepey wrinkles at my lash line disappear. Now I can put on eyeliner and it never skips – that improvement came shortly after I started using it and it remains to this day, even though I’m in my late 30s. The serum perks up my skin and works well under makeup.